Will the Rebel bias ever die?

Omeah
961 posts Member
I get it. Old folks grew up on OT. But why does that mean that rebels must rule? Soon we will have more rebels than non-rebels in game. They keep getting the best kits (just because DS or any other LS faction has 1 with a great kit, that doesn't justify rebels having the best stuff). I'm just tired of rebels. SWGOH succeeded in making me hate them the most in all SW lore. I no longer give a kitten about Luke or Leia or Han. This game ruined them for me.
/endrant

P.S.: I don't need arguments, agreements, just wanted to vent my frustration

Replies

• StarSon
    7437 posts Member
    Options
    In August
  • Mihai29
    592 posts Member
    Options
    Omeah wrote: »
    I get it. Old folks grew up on OT. But why does that mean that rebels must rule? Soon we will have more rebels than non-rebels in game. They keep getting the best kits (just because DS or any other LS faction has 1 with a great kit, that doesn't justify rebels having the best stuff). I'm just tired of rebels. SWGOH succeeded in making me hate them the most in all SW lore. I no longer give a kitten about Luke or Leia or Han. This game ruined them for me.
    /endrant

Make love not war
  • AlexTheG
    215 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hmm..I do agree and I expect CLS will get a run in arena as top dog. But then I reckon Palpatine will get reworked and / or zeta ability and Dark Side will be back in the mix (for about 2 months) and then rebels will be free to dominate for the next 6 months / years / millenia .
  • Options
    /endrant

alliance-poster.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I get your frustration but since the movies focused on rebels and galactic republic we just have more of their characters to use. Now if they open it up more to EU/legends then there will be a lot more options for empire and other ds toons.
  • Options
    I'm all for more ds toons. And not a fan of multiple iterations of toons. I think they messed up by doing foo instead of Hux. I don't foresee them doing both now but who knows.

And I could go without most of the rogue one toons. That movie didn't do it for me.
  • Options
    Yeah I get your frustration but since the movies focused on rebels and galactic republic we just have more of their characters to use. Now if they open it up more to EU/legends then there will be a lot more options for empire and other ds toons.

I'd accept that explanation if all canon characters were in the game from other eras. But I don't see Padmé, Jango Fett, Bossk, Shaak Ti, Ki-Adi-Mundi, B1 Battle Droid, Droideka, Pre Vizsla, General Hux, Snoke, Mother Talzin etc.
    Most of these characters are a lot more important/interesting then Pao for example. But none of them are rebels. Again, I don't need arguments why they aren't in the game yet, how someone doesn't like them etc. I'm just stating the fact that we could get new characters other than 3rd Han Solo for example. Just because he's a rebel.

I would empty my wallet for Padme, Droideka, and Jango!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    RacerDejak wrote: »
    /endrant

alliance-poster.jpg

Who knew, drake is the posterboy for the rebel alliance.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    RacerDejak wrote: »
    /endrant

alliance-poster.jpg

Who knew, drake is the posterboy for the rebel alliance.

Well he is from Canada and Canada = Hoth, right?
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member
    Options

I'd accept that explanation if all canon characters were in the game from other eras. But I don't see Padmé, Jango Fett, Bossk, Shaak Ti, Ki-Adi-Mundi, B1 Battle Droid, Droideka, Pre Vizsla, General Hux, Snoke, Mother Talzin etc.

Bossk, Shaak Ti, Pre Vizsla. None of those are significant characters (not that we don't have insignificant characters, but just that there's nothing compelling about bringing them in unless the devs want a specific gameplay that they can best get from one of those characters).

Similar argument for B1 Battle Droid, Droideka, Mother Talzin. Surely these will wait until a droid and nightsister faction pass.

General Hux, Snoke: They have to leave some characters to release with episode 8 and 9. I'm guessing Hux with some new guys in 8 and Snoke with some new guys in 9.

Padme is the biggest character that's not yet in the game. And Jango Fett probably the most asked for.... well, most asked for, except for...

Luke Skywalker.

So why does everyone get so hot in the head when more rebels are released. We have not one, but four movies featuring rebels, and a TV show, and that's just from the most recent canon. These movies and TV show have special appearances from empire/dark side for the purpose of moving the plot along, but the main feature, what we spend the most screen time on, is rebels.

Yes, yes, I see the arguments: What about prequels? Ignoring the fact that we do have quite a lot of Jedi from the Prequel/Clones era; sure, we could stand to get a few more clones. And Padme. But the most recent movies and TV shows, the ones that people are watching and then ponder starting to play a Star Wars game about, is REBELS.

Oh, I know, my argument doesn't stand up. Commander Luke is older than the prequels. Older than dirt.

He's also the one original trilogy main character that's not in the game yet (farmboy Luke doesn't and never has counted). He's the guy that's been on the splash screen for the last two years.

Why do people not understand that all of this will naturally transfer into more rebels in the game (and some have to be powerful; a large amount of the player base want to join the rebellion)? This after a sith and empire faction pass giving us some of the most powerful characters in the game.

In fact, go back and check what the most used characters are in the top ten of arenas. Go ahead, I'll wait. It's not rebels. (If you think it's Chaze, you haven't been keeping up.) Thrawn, Nihilus. GK and Rex are the other two most used characters, and they're not rebels either.
  • Lebowski1345
    79 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Most of these characters are a lot more important/interesting then Pao for example. But none of them are rebels. Again, I don't need arguments why they aren't in the game yet, how someone doesn't like them etc. I'm just stating the fact that we could get new characters other than 3rd Han Solo for example. Just because he's a rebel.

But those characters are for sure coming in due time, especially once the real Star Wars universe slows down and there are not as much news/movies.

My theory is this: August will be focused on Rebels, specifically OT rebels, and the release of ESB versions of our heroes. Yes, CLS will be meta defining and for a month or two, arena diversity will plummet. But think about this: JKL is right around the corner because it did say that still to come is "the journey continues" I believe.

Once JKL comes, I can see that being a jedi rework/making jedi more viable in arena again. Then October, November, December, and January will be focused on Episode 8 (Much like Rogue One released characters over those months). This will make at least rebels, Jedi, FO and Resistance viable in arena, with some of the Thrawn, DN, other teams like that sprinkled in. Then at the start of 2018, we get our Seperatists faction pass (w/Jango and new droids), followed by Galactic Republic (w/padme and clones) and then Nightsisters, etc. which will make these teams useful in a new game mode.

Just be patient though, they have done a good job releasing characters that people like, now with Luke in the mix. But Rebels are the main focus of this Trilogy. Most of everyone's favorite characters are rebels. (and I am a big Galactic Republic/jedi fan, GK is my favorite character of all time from Episode 1-3).

It will all be good, just gotta trust the devs because they have done a great job of keeping this game alive with reworks on old characters and saving the game by taking tourneys away and things like that
  • Options

I would empty my wallet for Padme, Droideka, and Jango!

Dont forget b1
  • Options
    @AlexTheG
    CLS will get a run in arena as top dog. But then I reckon Palpatine will get reworked and / or zeta ability and Dark Side will be back in the mix (for about 2 months) and then rebels will be free to dominate for the next 6 months / years / millenia .

What?

Rebels don't rule the Arena.

Just look at another thread on this very forum that went through and extensive process to rank toons for Arena play on both Offense and Defense.

The very top tier toons?
    Maul (z, l), Rex (z, l), Baze, Nihilus, General Kenobi, Kylo Ren (z), Emperor Palpatine, Chirrut (w/ Baze), Savage Oppress (Sith TT, z),

In case you can't count at home, there is only one Rebel on that list that made it in on its own merits. That one is Baze. Chirrut is the next tier down unless paired with Baze.

Meanwhile, you have 4 sith: Maul, Nihilus, EP, & Savage. You also have 1 clone in the top tier, but 1 clone to 2 rebels might make it seem that there aren't more than 2 times as many rebels as clones. Nope. Not even close. Rebels have WAY more than 2x the clones. There are more Phoenix squad members than clones. Then there are the Rogue One rebels. You don't have to take any of the characters from ep3-6 to get more than twice as many rebels as you have clones.

How is it possible for you to say rebels rule the Arena from that? Maybe the top tier is completely idiosyncratic? Maybe the next tier down is all rebels? Nope.
    Sith Assassin (Sith TT, o), Sith Trooper (Sith TT), Count Dooku (Sith TT, LR Nihilus, z), Sidious (Sith TT, LR Vader or Nihilus, z, o), Deahtrooper, QGJ (z, l, Jedi TT), B2, Vader (z, l, Sith or Empire TT), Captain Phasma (l, z, First Order TT), FOTP (First Order TT), FOST (First Order TT), FOO (First Order TT)

So you've got one, two, three, four sith in a row to start the list. Vader is on the list later for five sith total.
    Empire gets Deathtrooper & Vader. The Jedi get QGJ. And then every single one of the First Order characters that weren't top tier are seen here at the tier just below that very top level. Four of them. Number of rebels? Zero.

And then the third tier, the tier of really good characters who don't stand out as amazingly elite? There you have:
    A Tier (Good)
    Barris (z), Boba Fett, Wedge (w/ Biggs), Biggs (w/ Wedge), Sidious (Resistance TT, z, o), TFP, IG-86 (Droid TT), IG-88 (Droid TT), Jawa Engineer (Droid TT), HK-47 (Droid TT, l), IG-86 (Droid TT) K2SO (Droid TT), Fives, Krennic (z, w/ Deathtrooper), Shoretrooper, Finn (Resistance TT), Rey (Resistance TT), JKA, Aayla, Chirrut, Kylo Ren,

So this is where Chirrut falls when he doesn't have Baze to help him - and remember that Chirrut is farmable but Baze is not. Wedge and Biggs make it into this list ... but only if you have both of them. If you have only one, they don't even make it this high.

So, ultimately, this rank has more Jedi (Barriss, JKA & Aayla) than Rebels, unless you think it's more fair to count the top rank as excluding Chirrut (and thus containing only one rebel). Then the Jedi and Rebels are dead even. Meanwhile, you definitely have more droids (86, 88, HK, K2) than rebels. Shoretrooper, TFP and Krennic are Empire. Kylo of the First order falls to here without his zeta.

So far, you have as many or more Empire in the top 3 ranks as you do Rebels - in the top rank alone rebels beat Empire 2 to 1 (if you count Chirrut), but Empire wins pretty handily overall 6 to 4. And compared to Sith? Sith have the rebels beat hands down with 4 just in the most elite rank, while it takes the Rebels the who top 3 ranks to get that many.

Rebel dominance is a myth.

Look on my shard and the top teams are Sith, Clones, and mixed teams that tend to contain GK, Rex, Nihilus & Chaze.

Get a new hobbyhorse. This one is broken.