Community Project: 7 Ways to Delay Heroes Crashing

First_but_66_Order
1014 posts Member
edited November 2017
Hey!
For lots of us, playing is a daily struggle due to the game crash issue.

Here I gathered my experience, supplying some useful ways to improve performance, and minimalize the crash issue.

NOTE: None of the listed ideas would terminate the issue

Close all other apps
I know it is basic knowledge for the most of you, i just start with the basics here.
If you didnt do so, try it.

Turn off Sounds in game
If you play muted, it wouldnt change much in terms of gameplay experience, but improves the effectiveness of RAM usage = less frequent crashes.

Turn off all Notifications
Make sure you receive no popup messages whatsoever during play.
Arena and Fleet and some Mod challenges/ Assault battle events have a tendency to crash more easily as they use much more RAM, because there is more waves (5, 8) and/or more data to load into RAM.

Start routine Force Restart
Do Force Restart on your phone every 2-3 days.
(iPhone: https://www.google.hu/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559&ved=0ahUKEwj6oYCxrcDVAhUFvhQKHaGACCMQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHpPtW1C6uv0ZmW12qgHdVpWD3kdg)
(Android: Turn off and take out the battery [if possible] for 5mins. [if not, search on google how can you do Force Restart on your device])
A Force Restart can bump you back to normal crash frequency, if you start crashing too much (eg. during Marquee events).

Don't do too much
I usually begin with a Fleet battle, then I do an arena, then I do the other smaller tasks required for daily activities, then I return to arena and do it once more if I can.
I leave GW activity and Ship challenge, Bronzium opening for the last. So, If I crash I launch it over again and do the rest activities.
I never engage any hard/normal/mod/event battle for the first time launch of the day. I usually do it when I have time to spare, except if I really want to complete any event.

Never try a 2nd Fleet Arena
Technically this is the same like the one before, but it is much important.
In my experience people show little intrest being in better position in Fleet Arena. I can easily grab my Top 50 place on my NOV 2015 shard, with only one Fleet Arena Battle completed. And if not, I really get 1250fc instead of 1300, what is the big deal?

Use RAM monitor app
This one is really advanced, and a bit hard to make a good use of it.
I explain how does it work:
Before you start to play, check how your RAM is doing.
-If you see that it is around 50%, you can expect a longer ride, so you can do more in-game before it crashes.
In this case do not boost RAM, because it can happen that it goes higher after than it was before.
-If you see it is around 60-70%, Boost RAM and wait for some seconds. If it drops to ~50% and stays around it, you are good to go, but if it starts to climb up to the sixties again, you should consider postpone playing or play with expecting a quick crash in-game.
Alternatively, you can Force Restart your phone.

Developer option - Turn on RAM notifications
I received this comment, and I think it is worth a try. Thanks for the helpful feedback.
AlKafir wrote: »
I found a "solution" for this problem in Android! you have to activate Developer Options. Once you activate them you can activate option: Error with not answer. In that way when the phone get out of RAM will ask you if you want to close an app. If it is SWGOH or Google play Service you press "Wait" if it is another app (Google Maps, Whatsapp, etc) you close them.
In that way you can chose what app to close and wich should stay running, so you dont get SWGOH or Google Play Service closed

I hope I could help you all sharing my experience, I would be happy to see your ideas, what do you do, does it help or not really?
What else is worth a try or what is useless?
Post edited by First_but_66_Order on

Replies

• Options
    What about getting a better phone?
  • Options

That's a P2P option :)
    I listed F2P only.
  • Options
    Try uninstalling the app, then reinstall on wifi.
  • Options
    Dark_Light wrote: »
    Try uninstalling the app, then reinstall on wifi.

Well, it can help, if it wasnt the good old RAM issue which caused the crash.
    Otherwise, not that useful. But, surely, worth a try
  • Options
    You realize the game is always updated to looks better on newer devices, noone develop for 2 year old devices. And a new phone every 2 years sounds reasonable to me.
  • Options

I have enough crashes on S5 and S6. But of course getting a better phone is always a good idea. Let alone for the satisfaction of having a new plaything ;)
    Ally code 428-543-243
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Options
    A Force Restart can bump you back to normal crash frequency, if you start crashing too much ...

Just thought someone should point out that normal crash frequency is ..... zero crashes per day.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to Guide sub forum. Not really a general topic.
  • Options
    I found a "solution" for this problem in Android! you have to activate Developer Options. Once you activate them you can activate option: Error with not answer. In that way when the phone get out of RAM will ask you if you want to close an app. If it is SWGOH or Google play Service you press "Wait" if it is another app (Google Maps, Whatsapp, etc) you close them.
    In that way you can chose what app to close and wich should stay running, so you dont get SWGOH or Google Play Service closed
  • Options

Sounds good...
    I now have a new phone, with 3gb RAM...
    Aaand I still have received that google services message (only once, though,)
    Most of the times the Free RAM is down to 700MB (it is over 1GB with other games) meaning this is a general problem with the game.
    Thanks for this, I will insert it into OP
  • AlKafir
    29 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Sounds good...
    I now have a new phone, with 3gb RAM...
    Aaand I still have received that google services message (only once, though,)
    Most of the times the Free RAM is down to 700MB (it is over 1GB with other games) meaning this is a general problem with the game.
    Thanks for this, I will insert it into OP

It does not always work, but many times it does. Another thing that helps is to put the phone in battery saving before opening SWGOH, that cuts processes in the background and secondary connections