how to change meta?

Bzzka
30 posts Member
Okay, it's already not funny to see thrawn+nihilus in every team under Rex lead and I have an idea how to change that.
Let's do such thing like bonus turn meter for full teams like 5 rebels or 5 jedi or 5 sith, if there is 1 char that have no a common tag they have no bonus TM, if there are 2 char with no common tag team has penalty maybe 10% or 20% slower TM gain.
Like QGJ lead+r2 - no bonus TM, QGJ lead+r2+Thrawn 20%TM reduction
Rex Nihilus GK Chaze -20 TM reduction
Rex NIhilus GK Thrawn +rebel - 40 TM reduction
5 jedi, sith, Galactic republic, rebels - 20 bonus TM gain
There is a question about double tag, like rebel/jedi or GR/jedi, feel free to suggest your ideas
Or maybe just 20% TM penalty if there are dark side and light side characters in team.
What do you think about it? or you okay with 10-20 same teams on your arena shard?

Replies

• Options
    Idk if it's just my shard, but it's pretty healthy on comps. DN, Rex, Zader, Zaul, Zfinn, FO, occasionally get an old Wiggs or Dooku lead sneak back into top 50. Theme bonuses would be cool, but favors mega groupings (Rebels) too heavily to be viable currently. Would love it for PvE though!
  • Options
    but why ? why is it bother you if people mixing factions ?
    DN and thrawn can fit to lightside teams, and its cool. i dont see any problem with that, whoever wanna use it, use it, he got 2 toons that do not benefit from full synergy. yes, obviously, its better than putting DN under Sidious or Thrawn under Veers, i dunno. but its his choice.
    My DN is running in a full sith team under zaul, and he perform much better than other DNs, benefits a lot from the team synergy. but im missing few things like fast cleanse (zavage cant do it fast enough) or a taunt to defend him from GK, but its my choice. i can start gear up GK for my team but the decision if to put a toon without synergy or stay with a toon that have synergy is completely mine.
    the punishment of no synergy is enough.
  • tharduskafka
    474 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    CIKShock wrote: »
    Idk if it's just my shard, but it's pretty healthy on comps. DN, Rex, Zader, Zaul, Zfinn, FO, occasionally get an old Wiggs or Dooku lead sneak back into top 50. Theme bonuses would be cool, but favors mega groupings (Rebels) too heavily to be viable currently. Would love it for PvE though!

It's not just you. Top 20 of my shard has:
    zQGJ Jedi,
    Resistance,
    First Order (me),
    Empire with Tarkin, Veers and 2Thrawn leads,
    3 Zaul teams, all different comps,
    4 Wiggs/Chaze: 2 w/ R2, 1 with Zoba, 1 with Zylo,
    2 Zaders,
    1 Nihilus,
    1 Zeta Jyn Rogue One rebels
    And only 3 Rex:
    One with Chaze, Nihilus, R2
    One with Chaze, Nihilus, GK
    One with Thrawn, Nihilus, Zylo, STH off - B2 def
    This last one holds rank better than any other team as far as I can tell.

Sure, I think using Rex is kinda weak myself, but I really couldn't ask for much more diversity
  • Bzzka
    30 posts Member
    Options
    well I see this in other way, strongest team like Rex GK Thrawn Nihilus r2, and new Luke will be in that team instead of Rex I guess. So if I want to be in top I must make such team? It's kind a boring to play similar teams, but game forces me to do that. This characters so good by their own so they don't need any synergy between.
    At my shard there is no such diversity, and that makes me sad =(
    Maybe later my shard will change, but still I think there should be some sort of bonuses or penalty for future
  • Options
    no one says that this team will be viable with CLS, and actually CLS with some other rebels should be stronger than CLS GK Thrawn DN R2. the upcoming luke is coming to give more diversity, time will tell if it would or if it will kill the game.
  • Options
    Bzzka wrote: »
    Okay, it's already not funny to see thrawn+nihilus in every team under Rex lead and I have an idea how to change that.
    Let's do such thing like bonus turn meter for full teams like 5 rebels or 5 jedi or 5 sith, if there is 1 char that have no a common tag they have no bonus TM, if there are 2 char with no common tag team has penalty maybe 10% or 20% slower TM gain.
    Like QGJ lead+r2 - no bonus TM, QGJ lead+r2+Thrawn 20%TM reduction
    Rex Nihilus GK Chaze -20 TM reduction
    Rex NIhilus GK Thrawn +rebel - 40 TM reduction
    5 jedi, sith, Galactic republic, rebels - 20 bonus TM gain
    There is a question about double tag, like rebel/jedi or GR/jedi, feel free to suggest your ideas
    Or maybe just 20% TM penalty if there are dark side and light side characters in team.
    What do you think about it? or you okay with 10-20 same teams on your arena shard?

I wish something like that, this could help with diversity and may suppress these "cheat" teams.
  • Options
    You don't change the meta. It changes itself.

Rebels were the top meta around july-december last year. They are still around, but not as used to as before. The reason is - pre-taunters were developed. Wiggs only good purpose was to eliminate an enemy, before they could take a turn. With pre-taunters taking all of this damage, it became pointless.

Then the Sith came, with Zaul. What better counter to DPS toons such as Wiggs and Rey, than a toon that has a high dodge chance and while in stealth, can't be critically hit?

Then we got Nihilius. As a leader destroying any toon that is based off getting crit hit, as a regular toon - destroying everything in his way with his one-hit ability. No game has and no game will ever do something like what you're suggesting.

You're basically saying "I don't like those teams so do these nerfs specifically for them". That's not how it works. At some point the meta will once again shift(most likely with the release of CLS) and other toons will be used.
  • Bzzka
    30 posts Member
    Options

Rebels were the top meta around july-december last year. They are still around, but not as used to as before. The reason is - pre-taunters were developed. Wiggs only good purpose was to eliminate an enemy, before they could take a turn. With pre-taunters taking all of this damage, it became pointless.

Then the Sith came, with Zaul. What better counter to DPS toons such as Wiggs and Rey, than a toon that has a high dodge chance and while in stealth, can't be critically hit?

Then we got Nihilius. As a leader destroying any toon that is based off getting crit hit, as a regular toon - destroying everything in his way with his one-hit ability. No game has and no game will ever do something like what you're suggesting.

You're basically saying "I don't like those teams so do these nerfs specifically for them". That's not how it works. At some point the meta will once again shift(most likely with the release of CLS) and other toons will be used.

actually game says - gear Nihilus, without it your will be weak. And there is no alternates.
    and let's look at meta report https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/#all -Thrawn Nihilus GK most popular chars
    or Rex leader - it's like 6 month top 1. Rebels was top 2 month? or 3? And sith?
    Nobody will change their teams, Luke will be part of that, another strong char to Nih+Thrawn party.
  • Bzzka
    30 posts Member
    Options
    ZaulLover wrote: »
    no one says that this team will be viable with CLS, and actually CLS with some other rebels should be stronger than CLS GK Thrawn DN R2. the upcoming luke is coming to give more diversity, time will tell if it would or if it will kill the game.

luke lead and thrawn r2 nihilus gk, you'll see a lot of that, trust
  • Options
    ha, u guys are lucky all my shard has is rex L, thrawn, R2D2, GK, nihilus, some other hybrid rex L, GK comps, a few sith teams, and some jedi.
  • Options

i see no damage on that team
    - thrawn and luke are doing the same job basically, might be better to put some alternative. also, both are extremely expensive toons, that require lot of characters, resources and good modding to be great. only super-whales and old time players that are in the high arena for a long time, might be able to get them both.
    - GK is (1) giving retribution (not needed, got 50% counterChance), (2) giving critical immunity (not needed, got 50% CritImmunity), (3) dispelling (R2 first zeta do it automatically, without wasting a turn specifically on that), and (4) gain no buffs from CLS - therefore it might not be the best option to use under luke as the tank - he will do much better under ANY other lead, and you might find some tank that do better than him in CLS team.
    - DN and R2 are supports, not dealing much damage but adding to the whole team in some ways. Dispels, stuns, CD reductions, burning, bonuses. but DN getting nothing from R2 or CLS to make him stronger, he cant be as useful as you seem him now as a leader, under Zaul, under Rex... also R2 Zetas will benefit only lightsiders, you wanna get a better synergy to make the best out of it.

For the record, i DO intend to use DN and R2 together, but on a different composition: CLS, R2-D2, and 3 of Ezra, Leia, STHan, Obi wan, DN probably. and i think a team like this will do better than CLS, GK, Thrawn, DN R2, and therefore, shards won't be FILLED with the team you stated, but do a different rebel variations and putting DN in "hide the DN" teams, and Thrawn in lot of darkside teams.

all of them together looks good on paper, but the lack of DPS might ruin it.
  • zombiwan_kenobi
    427 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    CIKShock wrote: »

It's not just you. Top 20 of my shard has:
    zQGJ Jedi,
    Resistance,
    First Order (me),
    Empire with Tarkin, Veers and 2Thrawn leads,
    3 Zaul teams, all different comps,
    4 Wiggs/Chaze: 2 w/ R2, 1 with Zoba, 1 with Zylo,
    2 Zaders,
    1 Nihilus,
    1 Zeta Jyn Rogue One rebels
    And only 3 Rex:
    One with Chaze, Nihilus, R2
    One with Chaze, Nihilus, GK
    One with Thrawn, Nihilus, Zylo, STH off - B2 def
    This last one holds rank better than any other team as far as I can tell.

Sure, I think using Rex is kinda weak myself, but I really couldn't ask for much more diversity

How lucky of you, my top 20 is more than half zMaul, almost all from the same guild...Most players still don't have Thrawn and GK i guess.
  • Bzzka
    30 posts Member
    Options

- thrawn and luke are doing the same job basically, might be better to put some alternative. also, both are extremely expensive toons, that require lot of characters, resources and good modding to be great. only super-whales and old time players that are in the high arena for a long time, might be able to get them both.
    - GK is (1) giving retribution (not needed, got 50% counterChance), (2) giving critical immunity (not needed, got 50% CritImmunity), (3) dispelling (R2 first zeta do it automatically, without wasting a turn specifically on that), and (4) gain no buffs from CLS - therefore it might not be the best option to use under luke as the tank - he will do much better under ANY other lead, and you might find some tank that do better than him in CLS team.
    - DN and R2 are supports, not dealing much damage but adding to the whole team in some ways. Dispels, stuns, CD reductions, burning, bonuses. but DN getting nothing from R2 or CLS to make him stronger, he cant be as useful as you seem him now as a leader, under Zaul, under Rex... also R2 Zetas will benefit only lightsiders, you wanna get a better synergy to make the best out of it.

For the record, i DO intend to use DN and R2 together, but on a different composition: CLS, R2-D2, and 3 of Ezra, Leia, STHan, Obi wan, DN probably. and i think a team like this will do better than CLS, GK, Thrawn, DN R2, and therefore, shards won't be FILLED with the team you stated, but do a different rebel variations and putting DN in "hide the DN" teams, and Thrawn in lot of darkside teams.

-well sooner or later everybody will get this chars, so that not an argue

-so? r2 requires no zeta in that team, all other - GK works not only on CLS

- DN has no dmg? He just can eat any char, he does not need it. anyway R2 hides everybody except GK, than luke shreds everybody with taunt ignore or tanks while DN eats everybody, thats all

what lack of DPS you talking about? Rex · GK · Darth Nihilus · R2-D2 · Grand Admiral Thrawn - 55% of all top 1 squads - and there is no lack of DPS. You think Luke will have less DPS than Rex or what?
    I will not debate now, just let's wait Luke's release and watch.
  • Options

They pretty much killed new metas since Nihilus though, cause no one will ever be able to counter a oneshot ability that doesn't rely upon damages nor can be prevented/evaded/resurrected.
    Same thing with Thrawn, there are too much abilities that go through usual mechanics to allow any kind of counter. Best counter of such teams is well... the same team with better RNG and mods.

Now only power creep matters and only weaker toons will be replaced by better ones, but i'm pretty sure the core itself will stay for a long time. But hey ! Hopefully Luke farming boy got some brand new zetas, we're saved !
  • Options

No damage huh? Except CLS and thrawn both hit hard, counter, r2 will stun a bunch, and DN can one hit ko. But ok, no damage.

GK retribution is useful for the dark side toons and himself and 100% is better than 50%. R2 will do decent damage under Luke but more importantly throw stun around like a boss.
    And if you mod your toons so DN is the lowest hp, thrawn will turn meter swap with him.

• Bzzka
    30 posts Member
    Options

-sooner or later everybody will get them, that's not an argue

-r2 doesn't need zeta here, GK works on everybody. His best part is autotaunt, no matter leadership

-DN can eat everybody, he doesn't need damage. R2 hides everybody, Luke shreds averybody ignoring taunt or tanking while DN eating enemies.

That is not a possibility, it is almost here

What lack of DPS? does Rex Thrawn DN GK r2 team suffers it? no, it is 55% of all top 1 according to meta report. And with Luke it looks like even stronger.
    I will not debate about it now, lets wait CLS release and watch.
  • Options

They pretty much killed new metas since Nihilus though, cause no one will ever be able to counter a oneshot ability that doesn't rely upon damages nor can be prevented/evaded/resurrected.
    Same thing with Thrawn, there are too much abilities that go through usual mechanics to allow any kind of counter. Best counter of such teams is well... the same team with better RNG and mods.

Now only power creep matters and only weaker toons will be replaced by better ones, but i'm pretty sure the core itself will stay for a long time. But hey ! Hopefully Luke farming boy got some brand new zetas, we're saved !

lot of toons that came after nihilus came to "counter him" a bit. he can be prevented from his annihilate simply by Stun (R2 and Luke have stuns on their BASIC), or ability block (Thrawn - that came after- and Vader and Snowtrooper -that was here before- have them on basic, which makes Empire teams very hard for DN). also Luke's use the force and Thrawn fracture coming to keep DN shutdown, removing all TM. every toon that introducing to the game is becoming countered by the next toons (with the exception of Chaze combo) kinda. so DN is not here forever, he's just very useful, and IMO, his drain force gives more than his annihilate. but dont be so sure about "not countering him"

@Bzzka i will probably not get thrawn like.. ever. lol. and im a nov15 player that is in great place of getting toons, so that assumption is wrong.
    if you dont put zetas on R2, than you can have better options than R2 on that team.
    rex is giving huge TM gains to all that team, so obviously their turns are faster and you dont feel lack of DPS. and it will lack some DPS against the new teams that will rise. you will want to be able to kill fast STHan for example, before his TM gain makes you lose. or if you let old ben mind trick twice before he's dead, you're doomed as well. if you dont do that, toons like Leia / Ezra under CLS+z2z2 can go rampage, finishing games before you can even do annihilate.
    im sure that the CLS(L) DN Thrawn R2 GK wont be even close to 50%.
    tag me here when it happens
  • Bzzka
    30 posts Member
    Options

lot of toons that came after nihilus came to "counter him" a bit. he can be prevented from his annihilate simply by Stun (R2 and Luke have stuns on their BASIC), or ability block (Thrawn - that came after- and Vader and Snowtrooper -that was here before- have them on basic, which makes Empire teams very hard for DN). also Luke's use the force and Thrawn fracture coming to keep DN shutdown, removing all TM. every toon that introducing to the game is becoming countered by the next toons (with the exception of Chaze combo) kinda. so DN is not here forever, he's just very useful, and IMO, his drain force gives more than his annihilate. but dont be so sure about "not countering him"

@Bzzka i will probably not get thrawn like.. ever. lol. and im a nov15 player that is in great place of getting toons, so that assumption is wrong.
    if you dont put zetas on R2, than you can have better options than R2 on that team.
    rex is giving huge TM gains to all that team, so obviously their turns are faster and you dont feel lack of DPS. and it will lack some DPS against the new teams that will rise. you will want to be able to kill fast STHan for example, before his TM gain makes you lose. or if you let old ben mind trick twice before he's dead, you're doomed as well. if you dont do that, toons like Leia / Ezra under CLS+z2z2 can go rampage, finishing games before you can even do annihilate.

I'll be happy to see such teams and if you will be right, but I think that won't happen, sadly
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The entire foundational concept of this game that sets it apart is the sandbox approach which allows you to mix and match all types of light and dark characters from across all eras and play with them together. A clone from the prequels, some Rebels from Rogue One, a Sith from old video games, an Imperial character from the books and animated series, and classic heroes like Luke or R2. Mix them all together and create a bizarro dream team.

If there is any bonus, it should be a bonus when you use five characters from five different factions or who never appeared on screen together.

There is some synergy built in, but the point of the game is to experiment and mix and match characters who normally wouldn't fight together.
  • Bzzka
    30 posts Member
    Options

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/#squads 47%, close enough?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    It was above 50% yesterday or the day before, before most switched DN out for Zolo.