"Must Use" characters

Speedokillz
575 posts Member
edited August 2017
When Thrawn was launched and the new Phoenix squadron was a must use, it was a really tough decision for many to drop everything we've been working on to dump everything into 6 toons we may not have any interest in, to obtain a character that everyone should have been interested. I chose to stay on my path and did not get Thrawn. I'm ok with that and when I was done with the other characters I figured that I could go for Thrawn next time around.

Again, providing new toons that must be used to get the newer toon gets a little frustrating... at least to me. When I 1st heard that we had to develop characters that have been in the game since launch like Luke, Old Ben and Leia... I was really impressed. I thought it was a brilliant idea to encourage the community to go and get the original characters, make them great and put them to use to get a new character.

Now we're in another situation where new characters are going to lock down sections of Territories and force guild members to abandon their efforts in order to comply with the new content and grow their guild. Don't get me wrong here, because I love where the game is going, so when the devs develop a process to get the new material by completing the old material 1st is just makes some sense to me.

Thank you for all the great new stuff and keep up the good work, but I really had aspiration to max out nightsisters, Cad Bane, and Nute Gunray to unlock special sections of TB :)
https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
Post edited by Vampire_X on

Replies

• StarSon
    7426 posts Member
    It's not exactly new. All of the events are faction-locked. Yoda > Jedi, EP > Rebels, R2 > Empire; Assault battles all have faction and/or specific character locks, as do omega battles... Can't really call it a trend when it's just how the game operates.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    I didn't bother with Thrawn either. I'm building a phoenix team now but I might not even get him next time around, it might be the time after that. Can't say I'm too bothered about it.
  • I'd say it is a trend of specific characters... as the title suggests. Allowing the option to select 5 characters in a faction of 10-15 characters allows some flexibility with our efforts. Must have 7* Luke, R2, Old Ben, Leia, and ST Han does really offer that. Also, Locking Special Territories behind very specific NEW Characters is the continuation... or "trend" that follows the CMD Luke event.

Not really complaining, but it feels better to use older characters, thus allowing us to go after characters in our collection that we may not have had a reason to complete otherwise.

• kerwyn
    144 posts Member
    Agreed. For the CLS event an option would of been nice. Include raid Han. Choose 5/6. Something so simple would of helped a lot for the community.
  • Exclusivity is always nice
  • I don't like the denominator limitation to 5 characters. I think it's better for diversity if it's "farm 5 of these 10 toons" like the first 3 legendary events.
  • StarSon
    7426 posts Member
    I'd say it is a trend of specific characters... as the title suggests. Allowing the option to select 5 characters in a faction of 10-15 characters allows some flexibility with our efforts. Must have 7* Luke, R2, Old Ben, Leia, and ST Han does really offer that. Also, Locking Special Territories behind very specific NEW Characters is the continuation... or "trend" that follows the CMD Luke event.

We have had those in the past as well. The one Assault battle has Ugnaught on the list of characters, we had the female character only event that one time... Just not sure we can call it a "trend" when it's been around the entire life of the game.
  • StarSon
    7426 posts Member
    I don't like the denominator limitation to 5 characters. I think it's better for diversity if it's "farm 5 of these 10 toons" like the first 3 legendary events.

But then what sets the CL event apart from those legendary events? CG specifically wanted this one to be a step above those events, so they would make it more exclusive, and that's not a bad thing.
  • Speedokillz
    575 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    You're not really paying any attention, are you? Requiring that one MUST use Ugnaught is different than Ugnaught, and/or 4 others from an entire faction...

• StarSon
    7426 posts Member
    You're not really paying any attention, are you? Requiring that one MUST use Ugnaught is different than Ugnaught, and/or 4 others from an entire faction...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Semantics. Call it a trend if you want, but it's not the first time they've limited things by specific characters, however you look at it.
  • All of those toons are easy to get. Even R2, they brought the event back and it is empire toons. People need to quit complaining because they are never prepared for an event. They gave hints in all the journey posts to what might be needed and look, it is exactly what 90% of the people thought it would be.
  • Um, big words that you do not understand? This is not a situation where the same thing can be manipulated to be seen more than 1 way.

You must use these 5 characters and no other characters will be allowed access is very different that any 5 characters out of these 12 will allow access. You probably will come up with something clever here to prove your trollness though.

• DarthR244D wrote: »
    All of those toons are easy to get. Even R2, they brought the event back and it is empire toons. People need to quit complaining because they are never prepared for an event. They gave hints in all the journey posts to what might be needed and look, it is exactly what 90% of the people thought it would be.

Again... your contribution is not even close to what was presented... reading is fundamental.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    i've read your post, but i don't really get what you're trying to say.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • StarSon
    7426 posts Member
    Um, big words that you do not understand? This is not a situation where the same thing can be manipulated to be seen more than 1 way.

You must use these 5 characters and no other characters will be allowed access is very different that any 5 characters out of these 12 will allow access. You probably will come up with something clever here to prove your trollness though.

Not trolling. You can twist it around anyway you want, but many events have been limited somehow. When Yoda's event came out, there were very few Jedi to pick from; same for Rebels for EP and (the already stated) Phoenix for Thrawn. We've had events where you could only pick female characters (Play to Give) and some limited to Light Side (Force Champions). Some limited to Ewoks (latest ones, as well as an Earth Day one last year).

Requiring specific named characters is no more a trend than requiring factions was. You're looking for patterns where there probably are none. They needed a way to make stuff more exclusive, so the logical solution is specific named characters.
  • Thats why I hoard everything. Gear, zetas, credits. My only concern is to 7* as many toons as possible. Once the event comes around I always have the required toons. All I need to do is use gear and/or zetas incase the event is too challenging. This is hard to do for new players, but players like me that have played since launch learned long ago for the yoda event to alway prepare even when there is no event coming or around. To date I have 102 seven star toons.

This stratagey has not failed me yet. I got yoda the 2nd time around. I got Papatene the 1st day the event went live..same with the R2 event. Thrawn I got to 6* before the event ended...ill have him 7* when it comes back. And as for Luke I'm gonna 7* him the day the event goes live.

Like I said new players will either have to pay money or wait and that is ok cause new players shouldn't have accessibility to new and power toons.

Events like the one coming up rewards longtime players and big spenders.

New players just need to accept this and get him next time.
    Wanna see a trolls weak roster? Here ya go---->>>> https://swgoh.gg/u/nicwester/You've been warned.

Re: Discussion in category Forum Trash
    HardPill2Swallow
    HardPill2Swallow - December 22, 2017 2:25PM
    If you're like me and play faithfully everyday getting rank 1 constantly, working with others in your shard to not only stay competetive but also working to keep out new players from dropping your rank, then you will understand what I'm saying.

When CLS came for the first time there were a lot of new faces that entered the top 10. Now that he is coming back we will see even more climbing the ranks...not because they have a good roster, or because they are good players..but because they finally got the CLS toon they have been crying about for months. We all know how good CLS is and how he fits into any team or any part of this game.

The shard I'm in has the exact same feeling as I do: All of us don't like to see new faces. All of us have controlled the top of our arena shard for well over a year and the last thing we want is to have to share our ranks with other players, not because they are good or deserve to be in the top 10...but because they weren't good enough to make it to the top 10 with what they had.

Instead they are gonna climb the ranks because of 1 toon. Just 1 toon...that's it. They haven't worked endlessly day after day for months holding on to their ranks of their daily payout, helping each other out like so many of us do. Nor have they helped each other out from snipers like many of us also have done.

My suggestion...work together to keep out all these new faces that get into the top 10 not because they are good or ain't good or deserve to be there...but because they couldn't get there before now all of a sudden because they got Luke they think they are top 10 arena tier and deserve to be there. They don't deserve to be there. Attack them soon as you get the chance to.

I know this isn't a popular opinion and I'm gonna get tons of hate...and honestly I don't even care. I'm just saying what the majorty of all the top people of their arena shards are thinking:

All these new players that are gonna enter the top 10 deserves to be targets first. Make them work for it. Show them just how competetive the top 10 is and what it takes if they wanna try and stay there.

To all the new players entering the top 10...you better be ready for a war cause you're not climbing the ranks that easily because you finally got Luke. Better mod up, refresh and be ready to change your team up cause for players like me and many others: it takes dedication, team work, communication and a willingness to log in multiple times a day to hold on to your ranks that we've held on to for well over a year...and many others and myself aren't giving it up without a fight. Just because you finally got Luke doesn't mean you are gonna get an easy free ride to the top.

If you can't beat any combination of squads in the top 10....you simply just don't belong there yet.
    Moderator TyloRen
    Points 0
    TyloRenTyloRen 5:05PM
    I appreciate passion and all, but I'm removing your post. It really serves no purpose, and trolling other users isn't permitted.
    HardPill2SwallowHardPill2Swallow 5:07PM
    **** you
  • I guess they don't want to release irrelevant characters like Gamorrean Guard and they're finding it hard to find a balance. Or they don't want a balance so people can chase the ever changing meta with $$$.

Either way once you start to care less about your arena rank you'll enjoy the game a lot more, I know I did!
    New content looks super exciting
  • Thank you for fixing the title... it was mildly inflammatory and unnecessary...

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Moved to the correct sub forum.

They want to make it so you have to have a diverse roster. They also want to reward those with diverse rosters. We have all missed out on events and new toons at one point or another due to this strategy. Its ok, they all come back.