Obfuscating the CLS Event is Disappointing For Many

2Next

Replies

• Just trying to be funny... oh well, hope somebody chuckled.

Epic funny fail... engaged
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Wanting clear instruction on who to farm and when is not equal to wanting a 7* G11 Luke in my inbox tomorrow morning.
  • Wanting clear instruction on who to farm and when is not equal to wanting a 7* G11 Luke in my inbox tomorrow morning.

+1

Also, for all those people who were saying it was easy to know who to farm? Get real. I thought it was obvious that Luke would need a mentor-type, but I didn't guess that we would have no choice in toons. Yes Luke was going to need "old friends" but they announced that at the same time they introduced the Flash Events that used Event toons instead of your own. Combine that with the fact that they said the gear was for Luke (not "luke and his friends") a lot of people reasonably guessed that event toons would be used in the CLS release.

But even if you didn't think that was true, given that we had always had choices in what toons we used in previous events, why should we think that missing only one toon would be a problem? Sure, it turned out to be a problem but the people who guessed wrong were every bit as justified in their thinking given the history of offering choices from more than 5 characters than the people who happened to guess right. The fact that you guessed right doesn't mean that it was plain/obvious/clearly communicated at the time.

And even if you decided that you had to gear all Luke's "old friends" why wouldn't that include the Ewoks? We didn't know this was going to be an Ep4 only event. Why shouldn't we think that Yoda could sub for Old Ben?

Here's the timeline for Luke's "friendship" with Old Ben:

Day 1: Vaguely knows Old Ben, but has no friendship with him. Gets r2 from the Jawas that have rumbled past their home many times before. He's probably better friends with the Jawas than he is with Ben.

Day 2: Luke is unconscious when Old Ben drives off the Tuskens. Luke doesn't even know he's been saved or how. But he does have his first personal conversation with Ben... and his first argument. Against Ben's advice, he goes home to find his family dead. Goes back to Ben b/c he has nowhere else to go.

Day 3: Ben takes him to Mos Eisley and cuts off the arm of a guy who was hassling him. Nice thing he did there. Also, he hooked Luke up with Han & Chewie. They get on a freighter & take off.

Day 4-5: Cooped up on a freighter, Ben gives Luke two days of fencing lessons.

Day 6: Ben dies.

That's right, Luke has his first actual, personal conversation with Ben on day 2. Ben dies on day 6 exactly 4 days later.

yes, OB is an iconic character, but he wasn't better friends with Luke than the Jawas or (especially) Wedge or Biggs. Those last two were his best friends for literally years before he ever thought of Old Ben as something more than a weird old neighbor. Heck, he had several days on Yavin 4 to get to know Porkins before Porkins died, and he wasn't required.

So if you happen to be one of those people who say that "old friends" obviously included Old Ben and obviously did NOT include Wedge and Biggs, you're just deceiving yourself.

If you say "Old Friends" to the Ep4 Luke, you're completely wrong, because not a single one of the toons required was an "old friend" to Luke at that point in his life.

If you say "old friends" from the perspective of Luke now - in the time of Ep7 almost Ep8, well Lando has had a much longer friendship with Luke than Old Ben ever had a chance to have. For all I know, Lobot has a longer history of friendship with Luke than OB - it wouldn't be hard. Just spend 5 days with the guy.
  • SwiftMooky wrote: »
    For context, I am a level 85, been playing for about 14 months.

Obviously no one is entitled to a new character by virtue of its release

... Probably could have just finished your tear-up at that point tbh.

• Forar
    94 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    I didnt mean the event design seemed rushed. It was actually a well designed and fun event. What i meant was it seemed the event was planned for the end of the month.

why though? Other than luke being the login character this month, wich is kinda odd i agree, nothing gives me reason to believe they planned it at the end of the month. Everything else seemed to indicate a middle of the month release.

These posts are excellent examples of why the 'omg why not just read between the lines' posts that show up around this topic are garbage.

"Luke and his friends..." clearly means you must farm Old Ben, some proclaim repeatedly, and yet seeing that Luke is available for the whole month, but we have an event that can't be completed without having Luke at 7* already, is a sign we should have ignored.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Developers could just *say* what we need to do? Is that too much to ask? Because if we have to guess, and we get mixed signals, then maybe it's not that easy to assess what we're being told.

I'm so tired of reading posts saying how people were unprepared because they didn't make one conclusion, but having another assumption is wildly off base.

It can't be both ways.
  • So... When the Devs said that stuff about "old friends" I had no idea that meant get 5 Empire toons to 7*. That's kind of strange, how was anyone supposed to guess that?

Also, between Wedge, Biggs, ST Han, Leia and farm boy Luke I figured I'd be good to go. If I needed Old Ben I could just panic farm him to 5* to unlock CLS. Oh wait, you need him at 7* to unlock anything.

The point is, anyone who says the clues were obvious and there's no excuse to not have CLS unlocked is deluding themselves- you had as little clue what to expect as those of us who only farmed Luke, ST Han and Leia (or just Luke for that matter). If it wasn't for the R2 requirement maybe I could have gotten Old Ben to 250/330 and purchased the $20 pack but nope, not enough time. Oh well, saves me money
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • SwiftMooky
    347 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    So... When the Devs said that stuff about "old friends" I had no idea that meant get 5 Empire toons to 7*. That's kind of strange, how was anyone supposed to guess that?

Also, between Wedge, Biggs, ST Han, Leia and farm boy Luke I figured I'd be good to go. If I needed Old Ben I could just panic farm him to 5* to unlock CLS. Oh wait, you need him at 7* to unlock anything.

The point is, anyone who says the clues were obvious and there's no excuse to not have CLS unlocked is deluding themselves- you had as little clue what to expect as those of us who only farmed Luke, ST Han and Leia (or just Luke for that matter). If it wasn't for the R2 requirement maybe I could have gotten Old Ben to 250/330 and purchased the $20 pack but nope, not enough time. Oh well, saves me money

Exactly. After July 4 weekend, nothing at all was stopping the devs from making an announcement saying, "The Luke Event is coming in August. You'll need to have Farmboy, Leia, R2, Old Ben, and Han at 7*. We'll have packs that last the duration of the event for purchase should you need extra shards during crunch time."
  • ddlooping2
    1046 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Not having read the whole thread...
    - the event only lasting 1 week, where some of us thought it'd either last longer or start later and end the 31st (the monthly login character being Farmer Luke)
    - 7* characters needed, with not option to unlock CLS at 5 or 6*
  • Seriously, just the sinking feeling today of looking at my roster and realizing I'll never see Luke in it was one of the worst feelings I've had in my thousands of hours of gaming I've done in my life. I realize it's melodramatic, but it just sucks. I'm just sad about it. Star Wars with no Jedi Luke.
  • @SwiftMooky

You'll get another chance sooner than you think.

Remember that this isn't Jedi Luke! This is Luke from Empire Strikes Back. He explodes some AT-ATs, has his big Failure At The Cave, flees his training, gets his hand cut off, and then is rescued by Leia. But he's not a Jedi yet. No, Yoda tells him in the beginning of Return of the Jedi that he's still not a Jedi at that point, not without facing down Vader (successfully this time).

Jedi Luke will come, but because CLS will be required for the Jedi Luke event, they'll give people another crack at him. it might not be until the week before Jedi Luke's event starts (like with the r2 event and CLS), but they'll give you another chance.

You're sure to get CLS then. And if you work hard on Episode5 characters like Hermit Yoda, you'll be able to get Jedi Luke on your first try.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    So... When the Devs said that stuff about "old friends" I had no idea that meant get 5 Empire toons to 7*. That's kind of strange, how was anyone supposed to guess that?

Because you should have realized that they would include R2. As a byproduct of that, you need empire characters.

The clues *were* obvious, but sure you have plenty of excuses to have not unlocked him. It was clearly geared towards players that have been here for more than 18 months or so, and I'm not sure why there's something wrong with that.

He was supposed to be fairly exclusive by design. Same with all the Legendary events. The first run is always going to have fewer unlocks than subsequent events. Just as with those others, you now know the exact requirements, so you should be getting ready for next time. A safe guess is that you'll need CL in order to get Jedi Luke, so get to farming.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    My problem with this event is that it doesn't feel epic. This is/was Luke's journey to a jedi knight, we now have something else.

1) The flash events - supposed to (or then I completely failed my reading comprehension) be a series of events in the journey. What we have is a repeat of the initial event where the only worthwhile reward came from the bonus tier. These have absolutely zero relevance to Luke's journey to a jedi knight and do not help in gearing up the commander version.

2) Vague hints combined with the expectation of getting something new didn't really help. I was expecting a Jedi Luke and suddenly we were told that the first series of the event unlocks Commander Luke Skywalker instead. What event? Have the Flash events got something to do with it? Now we know they do not.

3) Getting burned by placing my trust to their advice - my own fault really, toon Jawas to gear level 10 only to find them underwhelming in HAAT. Individually here and there, yeah, but could easily do without them. From past experience (other Legendary events) we had earlier advance warning of what to aim for so that's what I did this time also.

4) "This event is something we've never seen before to unlock a character!" - nope, not true. This is like needing 7* jedis, 7* rebels, 7* empire or 7* phoenix, we've seen it four times (plus repeats) already. It's not new, special or super. I don't feel thrilled.

I calculated when the requirements were announced that if the event started during R2 event on Thursday I would still be able to get OB to 7* before the end of the event. Starting from 14 shards (probably GW rewards :) I'm now before today's refreshes at 83/100 so will easily make it, that is with 3 cantina refreshes.
  • SwiftMooky
    347 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Naw wrote: »
    My problem with this event is that it doesn't feel epic. This is/was Luke's journey to a jedi knight, we now have something else.

1) The flash events - supposed to (or then I completely failed my reading comprehension) be a series of events in the journey. What we have is a repeat of the initial event where the only worthwhile reward came from the bonus tier. These have absolutely zero relevance to Luke's journey to a jedi knight and do not help in gearing up the commander version.

2) Vague hints combined with the expectation of getting something new didn't really help. I was expecting a Jedi Luke and suddenly we were told that the first series of the event unlocks Commander Luke Skywalker instead. What event? Have the Flash events got something to do with it? Now we know they do not.

3) Getting burned by placing my trust to their advice - my own fault really, toon Jawas to gear level 10 only to find them underwhelming in HAAT. Individually here and there, yeah, but could easily do without them. From past experience (other Legendary events) we had earlier advance warning of what to aim for so that's what I did this time also.

4) "This event is something we've never seen before to unlock a character!" - nope, not true. This is like needing 7* jedis, 7* rebels, 7* empire or 7* phoenix, we've seen it four times (plus repeats) already. It's not new, special or super. I don't feel thrilled.

I calculated when the requirements were announced that if the event started during R2 event on Thursday I would still be able to get OB to 7* before the end of the event. Starting from 14 shards (probably GW rewards :) I'm now before today's refreshes at 83/100 so will easily make it, that is with 3 cantina refreshes.

+1, but congrats on still getting Luke!

Update: Not realizing that we would have all day today as well to farm, I actually managed to get both Obi Wan and Farmboy to 20/100 and bought the packs to finish them. And I unlocked CLS! My criticism still stands, as I can see there are many who have been shafted by how the event was handled. I suffer with you in spirit, but no longer in the flesh.
    Post edited by SwiftMooky on