State of the Galaxy 8/11/2017 [Mega]

Replies

• slugbahr - instead of dancing around the issue and wasting time on a point that is SO obvious, you could have given a list of reasons why "thank you" and "profit" cannot coexist. All you've done is rehashed two situations, which my own experience doesn't follow. That alone should tell you - hmmm, maybe I'm not thinking this through all the way. You're doing what people who don't have a good argument do. Stalling. If you had a solid argument, trust me, I wouldn't ask you to refine it. I like it when people put thought into stuff.

• You're right. You're not thinking this all the way through.
    Reread the posts that started this.
    I couldn't give two hoots for your experience - in terms of it being the defining one for everyone and everything.
    And I'm sure you feel the same about me and mine.
    That's the way of the world.
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    I couldn't give two hoots for your experience - in terms of it being the defining one for everyone and everything.

Not what I said at all or implied - ever. Can you please point out where I wrote that? Rhetorical question. This is getting nowhere.

Good luck in the game.

Not what I said at all or implied - ever. Can you please point out where I wrote that? Rhetorical question. This is getting nowhere.

Good luck in the game.

And to you, also, good luck!
    :)
  • ArkhamJay wrote: »
    ArkhamJay wrote: »
    There are a lot of people disappointed about how this event has been introduced. So gloating in the face of someone who feels cheated out of an iconic character is just pathetic! There are plenty of players who have been playing for well over a year that didn't have old Ben or one of the other characters. Its not that they are 'dumb', its because they have put their resources into useful toons and gear. Some players picked that they would need Old Ben, STH etc and others thought that it was just Farmboy Luke or even ewoks. Just because someone else made a different call it doesn't mean people should rub their noses in it. EA wants to make money I get it -but the way they go about communicating what will be needed for specific events is really poor. Even though I should get CLS before the event finishes it doesn't make me want to celebrate the poor communication of EA and the insufferable gloating and put downs from players who have CLS unlocked.

CG communication was not poor. F2p should never expect to obtain a wait-for-it... legendary toon just because they played a year. The game is not a charity.

Why? Were not asking for charity. Guarantee we bust our butts just as hard if not harder than the ones who can afford to buy their way through this game. But your wrong bro...commo was poor just as the the language is on the requirements for each tier. I get EA has to make some money...i really do. But us F2P peeps are just asking for a more heads up of what we will need for an event.

Sounds like you should play a game like nba2k where everyone gets every team and player to use. I don't have thrawn or Luke, but I'll just have to wait till next time. In a few months there will be a legendary event for someone like snoke and people will throw a fit because they don't have Resistance toons.

I don't have a problem waiting....I did it for Yoda and R2....waiting isn't the argument neither is me getting CL the argument. The argument is communication. Plain and simple.

This* And one other obvious power creep in GW hurts everyone even those that got him, but especially those that didn't. Not a new account, nor f2p (i've supported), not going to be spending any money going forward until a lil love can be shown back on these things. Double drops would been nice, a way to earn shards other than random chance on a gem pack or outright $$$. Disappointed with the launch, what parts I could participate in though did look very nice to end on a positive note.
    But a lot of people in here think that they are doing a great job of communicating.
    They're not.

This communication thing is interesting because it only looks at it from one perspective (how come they didn't tell me X, Y, Z?) I never see any complainer (just shorthand, can't think of another word, I'm not knocking you) looking at from another perspective.

1.) We've officially known about Luke's Hero Journey since May when they dumped Luke shards and gear in our laps. This means they have had June, July and a small part of August to communicate to players about what's going on. They told players in July more about the Hero Journey. They told players in August a little more. What they told us doesn't matter for my argument here, I'm establishing that they've never gone under total radio silence. We've never heard from EA: Oh gosh, players, we've wanted to tell you something for three weeks but the building burned down and we had to move and we've just been trying to get everything back in order, sorry! No. We've never heard anything like that. They could tell us anything at any time.

2.) We were told this would be a unique event in how it's released. Wondering why unlocking Commander Luke wasn't the same as it was when we unlocked, say, Yoda, for example, doesn't apply. Nothing in the past applies.

So if they could tell us anything whenever they wanted, and because they told us this character release would be like no past big release, why is anyone blaming EA for poor communication? That implies not just that it could have been better - it's obvious it could have been, they could have told us something every day for more than two months - but that it should have been better.

The only reasons I'm seeing why it should have been better are: because I want Luke. Guess what? EA didn't agree that everyone who wanted Commander Luke was going to get Commander Luke. If they come back down the road and said: look, we're changing the next Luke (or next big character release) because we heard people criticizing the Commander Luke release, then you will be proven correct. But in the State of The Galaxy here, they say they've gotten "overwhelming positive response and feedback" - is that actually not true?

Right now, with the evidence I see, I'm going with Occam's Razor: they obviously did not want hoards of players with Commander Luke. We can speculate why that was, but it still doesn't change the fact that they could have easily made such a thing happen and didn't.

I think it's obvious why late info release (I'd say under a month not enough time but that's just my opinion I know). These Are the $20 packs you are looking for..... All I'm asking is that if I spend money on here (and I have), let me spend it on what I want, not on what's being crammed down my throat just so I can advance in GW. IDC about arena or raid placements to the ones supporting this game more than me I say thanks and have at it! Don't hang up my advancement.
  • JaggedJ wrote: »
    Some games give f2p zero chance of obtaining a new character or even a lesser version of a new charactee. It sucks when you miss out, but if everything was given away for nothing we wouldn't have a game.

I was lucky that I already had all the toons required. Next time I might not be so lucky. There are toons and parts of the game I still can't fully participate in because I'm still working on those toons.

It's the unfortunate life of f2p. You're never going to be able to cover all bases.

Only 3 guys in my guild are getting CLS. We are pretty much all P2P players. Just today I bought 12 of the 699 crystal packs. Only got 24 of the shards I was looking for.

You are supporting the very thing you hate...
  • Uklem wrote: »

If F2P are not happy, they leave and don't become paying customers. Worse they might leave review about how the game is only about the big paying customers which mean even less "new blood". Add that paying customer tend to leave when they "master" the game or become bored and you create a decline in the game population simply by focussing on a narrower community for a short gain.

I am not saying that there shouldn't be some focus on the paying customer but dismissing the "visitor" is not a smart move. Like saying that a mall should forbid entry to anyone who don't plan to spend 100$.

Last month I bought my first pack (needed some chirpa shard), but I don't see myself spending on future event if there is no way to know a few weeks before if said event is for me.

Whales carry mobile gaming. Most recent numbers I've read is 70% in-app purchases, just about 60% total revenue for the whole industry, I don't know what the figure is for SWGOH. Someone who spends serious money on a game is not going to care about F2P review gripes.

Anyone heard a bunch of whales complaining about this Luke event? I haven't.

I'm F2P - the game isn't focused on me and never will be. If you accept that, as I have, your frustration level will plummet.

Lol depends on your definition of whale (85 7*s?) Yeah I've spent in here but way trend is going won't be. Feel like my crack dealers just upped the price on his product! A little more transparency, a lil less power creep peeps!
    Dro1dm0de wrote: »
    Got my commander, but absolute garbage what you've done to arena. Just a swarm of cls in top 10 and the fun has been taken out of it. Nice job.

Not to mention GW get ready to take on all those wiggs, CL, chaze teams!

Am I supposed to list every variable that is?? I'm not interested in writing a 10,000 word thesis.
    You wanted more than hints (from someone else, sure), I gave them.

I like how you like things - good for you!

No, you didn't give more than hints. All you did was re-write the same argument. I'm a long-time player since Dec. 2015. I didn't have all of Luke's friends at 7*, didn't have to spend any money and I got CL. So your two variables have been blown to bits just on that tidbit from me alone. Trust me, I have more reasons.

Try harder.

Why is "thank you" and "profit" incompatible?

Thank you in this context means grateful/gratitude for making the game successful. You're not going to be grateful and reward someone and expect to make a profit out of it because then it will not be a reward.

So, it is obvious that profits and grateful/thank you aren't compatible. Wr see in the corporate sector, stakeholders are given free or subsidised rewards as thank yous. The company may make a loss or no profit in such a situation. The strategy being, the customer will continue to make the business successful. Here ofcourse it means players will continue to play.

So, thank you doesn't imply profits in the shortterm and it may mean loss in the short term in the context of opportunity loss. But in the long term, the goodwill generated will make more people stay with the game.

The context that was discussed here was short term profits and obviously as stated above, it will not be compatible with rewards/thank you.

Now, you got to move on. Stop arguing for the sake of argument. A lot of players felt aggrieved by the way the whole thing was done. No amount of narrative influence is going to change that. You and your coterie of friends/partners would have done well because of all of your supreme intelligence. I get it.

But to not understand gamers who have played this game forever and their dejection regarding the event is either managed psychopathy from a cold business decision or otherwise or just sycophancy. Whatever it is - it is not helping the game or the community.
    slugbahr wrote: »

Am I supposed to list every variable that is?? I'm not interested in writing a 10,000 word thesis.
    You wanted more than hints (from someone else, sure), I gave them.

I like how you like things - good for you!

No, you didn't give more than hints. All you did was re-write the same argument. I'm a long-time player since Dec. 2015. I didn't have all of Luke's friends at 7*, didn't have to spend any money and I got CL. So your two variables have been blown to bits just on that tidbit from me alone. Trust me, I have more reasons.

Try harder.

Why is "thank you" and "profit" incompatible?

• I enjoyed the event and was able to get CLS because I already had all the required toons at 7*. So, unfortunately, the event only lasted about 20 mins for me.

Why did I already have all the toons at 7* and geared up? Because I'm an OT-loving ESB-fanboy. If the next legendary event gives you access to a 7* incredibly overpowered Jar-Jar I probably won't be able to get it. Wouldn't want to either ;)

I farm and build toons that I like, because I want this game to be fun.

If you did not get CLS I feel bad for you, better luck next time! But if you only want him because you only want to win with the latest power toon... Then you should have tried harder or paid more imho. You probably can't have everything the first time round unless you pay. This event will return, I am sure of it.
  • TNT1138 wrote: »

When I was a kid I had a friend who would always buy the guide to go with every game he had. He would then proceed to follow the guide step by step until he finished the game. It always seemed like an incredibly boring way to play.

I like the hints and gifs. I don't want to be told exactly what to do.

I recently re-played Day of the Tentacle after many, many years. I had forgotten how fun it is to figure out how and when to use certain items. It makes you appreciate the thought behind it even more. Hmm, I can pick up this left-handed hammer, now what can I use it for and why would I do that?
  • Nice work ! The event was great still looking forward to the last stage later. Still farming Farmboy. Was a very hard grind to get there but so far the stages have been great. I never really cared about the PVP side I just want to collect all the characters. Hes been the toughest but also looks the most rewarding. THANKS Capitol Games and EA. Look forward to Hermit Yoda do I.
  • All I was saying, what if, (hypothetical since I don't know - but seems reasonable), what if CG rewarded long time players as best they could with a free CL by requiring only 4 easy farms in FL, PL, OB, ShT, and then narrowed the field by requiring R2, who required 5 empire toons as well that was possible to have easy farms too. The narrowing of the field was so that it wasn't a complete give away and left open the possibility of still making revenue off everyone else. It was incidental that some long term players lost out the 1st time around. Just a side effect of such a broad goal. In this way CG says thank you and leaves open the possibility of making a profit on those not patient to wait for the 2nd pass. That's all I'm saying. I have no idea if that's true though, but hey I'm willing to give the employees at CG, who are no different than you or I, the benefit of the doubt. We're all good people here, with jobs. And no one works without getting a paycheck, same for everyone as well as those at CG. I see no problem with that.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    slugbahr wrote: »
    "Thank you to the long time players of our game - who have all these friends of Luke already at 7* and well geared. Here is a CLS for FREE!"

"Gee, we're going to make heaps of profit off our long time players when they have to spend money to level and gear these characters they need"

I think there's a contradiction there.

Long time player (November 2015). I didn't have to pay money to gear/level any of the required characters. Old Ben was the only one I had to add gear to at all. I also had saved up gear for CLS. I've got him at g11.

No contradictions.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • All I was saying, what if, (hypothetical since I don't know - but seems reasonable), what if CG rewarded long time players as best they could with a free CL by requiring only 4 easy farms in FL, PL, OB, ShT, and then narrowed the field by requiring R2, who required 5 empire toons as well that was possible to have easy farms too. The narrowing of the field was so that it wasn't a complete give away and left open the possibility of still making revenue off everyone else. It was incidental that some long term players lost out the 1st time around. Just a side effect of such a broad goal. In this way CG says thank you and leaves open the possibility of making a profit on those not patient to wait for the 2nd pass. That's all I'm saying. I have no idea if that's true though, but hey I'm willing to give the employees at CG, who are no different than you or I, the benefit of the doubt. We're all good people here, with jobs. And no one works without getting a paycheck, same for everyone as well as those at CG. I see no problem with that.

Jar of Flies. Great EP by an amazing band. Been wanting to mention that earlier. Sorry for going off-topic :)
  • RevJJ82 wrote: »
    All I was saying, what if, (hypothetical since I don't know - but seems reasonable), what if CG rewarded long time players as best they could with a free CL by requiring only 4 easy farms in FL, PL, OB, ShT, and then narrowed the field by requiring R2, who required 5 empire toons as well that was possible to have easy farms too. The narrowing of the field was so that it wasn't a complete give away and left open the possibility of still making revenue off everyone else. It was incidental that some long term players lost out the 1st time around. Just a side effect of such a broad goal. In this way CG says thank you and leaves open the possibility of making a profit on those not patient to wait for the 2nd pass. That's all I'm saying. I have no idea if that's true though, but hey I'm willing to give the employees at CG, who are no different than you or I, the benefit of the doubt. We're all good people here, with jobs. And no one works without getting a paycheck, same for everyone as well as those at CG. I see no problem with that.

Jar of Flies. Great EP by an amazing band. Been wanting to mention that earlier. Sorry for going off-topic :)

Rock on man!
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Revi
    573 posts Member
    Thank you for the event it was amazing :)!

No thanks for the amount of people crying about it in the build up.. :(
  • I have one question. Was tier 3 ever tested with 5* characters to see if it could even be completed with 5* characters? Otherwise why not just make it require 7* characters. I have tried tier 3 over 200 times. Luke Skywalker is lvl 74 7* Gear 9 mk5 mods ability level 4. St. Han is lvl 85 5* Gear 9 mk5 defense/health mods ability level 4. It doesn't matter what upgrades I add to Han the results are exactly the same. Han either dies before phase 2 or he has a red sliver left. This of course is fully dependent on RNG. I have watched turn for turn take the same damage after adding more defense to him as if more defense does absolutely nothing. I have tried both Luke lead and St Han lead. I just want to be able to experience the Obi Wan tier. That is all. I do not care about Commander Luke. I have the required characters to play that tier but it seems like tier 3 is impossible at 5*
  • I have one question. Was tier 3 ever tested with 5* characters to see if it could even be completed with 5* characters? Otherwise why not just make it require 7* characters. I have tried tier 3 over 200 times. Luke Skywalker is lvl 74 7* Gear 9 mk5 mods ability level 4. St. Han is lvl 85 5* Gear 9 mk5 defense/health mods ability level 4. It doesn't matter what upgrades I add to Han the results are exactly the same. Han either dies before phase 2 or he has a red sliver left. This of course is fully dependent on RNG. I have watched turn for turn take the same damage after adding more defense to him as if more defense does absolutely nothing. I have tried both Luke lead and St Han lead. I just want to be able to experience the Obi Wan tier. That is all. I do not care about Commander Luke. I have the required characters to play that tier but it seems like tier 3 is impossible at 5*

This is exactly why I never farmed him. His survivability is the worst of all tanks. I never understood why he had such a huge following as a tank. He should be considered a support character for his speed modifications and turn meter manipulation.

The star rating shouldn't matter much. The ability levels are a bigger deal, and how much speed those mods are giving your team.

The star rating shouldn't matter much. The ability levels are a bigger deal, and how much speed those mods are giving your team.

That's what I thought but I followed the same config as the videos I watched only difference being star rating and in the videos, they auto'd it first attempt.
  • Widowailer wrote: »
    [
    Lol depends on your definition of whale (85 7*s?) Yeah I've spent in here but way trend is going won't be. Feel like my crack dealers just upped the price on his product! A little more transparency, a lil less power creep peeps!

There is no precise definition. But 85 7* who cares. I've got 59 7* and spent nothing. How much have you spent? A whale spends big money. How big? According to this site, it's a Top 10 percent spender. Here, we're told 0.15% of mobile players account for 50% of revenue. This guy spent $2 million on Modern War.

What is the exact definition of a whale on SWGOH? I have no clue. I've seen no uprising of people who've spent big money and who complained about the CL event. If you have, I'd be interested to know about it.
    So if I justify this to the right, I might be able to pass tier 3
  • Ok, I'm making this post to contradict some falacies that have been portraited here as absolute truth. This is my view as a F2P:

1) "CLS required toons were an easy farm and people who werent ready simply skipped the hints": FALSE. I've started playing this game February 2016, and so far I've managed to get most of the toons I wanted. Only one missing is Thrawn. And, as a F2P, no toon investment comes easy in this game. You have to make choices, for example, as to whether gear a toon or farm the shards needed for it. Most F2P wouldnt consider these toons an easy farm even if you released the requirements 6 months ago, simply because they werent really meta or shining in other areas of the game;

2) "Assuming you have the shards for it, acquiring CLS is an easy task": FALSE. Not only you have to get your toons to 7*, you also have to gear/level them properly. People should be aware that taking them to 7* is half the battle, the other one is gearing/leveling them. Which brings me to the 3rd topic:

3) "Making R2D2 a requirement was a good move, because most people have him by now": FALSE, and with a big firk you to people who defend this. Having an Empire team ready to take R2D2 to 7* is pain in itself, and having him as a requirement just made it even worse, because of the timeline to complete the event (we had what, 7 days with R2 event?). We were now looking at 10 toons required to get another. Oh, not to mention two weeks prior to that we had an Ewok release, with people dumping resources on them. Way to go.

4) "F2P were able to get this toon no problem at all": FALSE. I mean, sure you have the exception of that one guy who had all required toons at 7*, GXI - congrats, you luckied this one out. However, for the grand majority of the F2P out there, CLS was a terrible material sink.

This is my truth: I was hoarding for GK - gear, credits, everything. Had up to 12 million credits and a lot of gear, etc. I was saving just to take my GK to as high as possible as soon as I got him. I didn't get R2 the first time around, but I made that my mid term goal - so I slowly started seven starring the toons I needed for when the event came back. However, with the Ewok faction pass out of the blue, and hints from people here and which toons we would need for the Hero's Journey, I started to spend some resources on those toons. Soon after, R2 event comes up again, and now I'm having to work on some 10 toons all at once.
    Long story short, did manage to 7* R2, but with no where near the requirements to 7* CLS. This weekend I unlocked my GK.
    However, now I'm looking at 200k credits only, almost no good gear left and still can't manage to beat CLS last tier - 2 troopers always stay alive and I cant crack it - nor gear up/level up my GK. Granted, my Leia and R2 are still GVII, but Im gonna try to get them to VIII in the next couple of days. If I cant, I cant, and will get him next time. Just wanted to share that this was not an easy farm.

TL;DR: people have all the right to complain on how this event was set up. It's by no means an easy farm, and to any F2P completing it you either: have been depleted of all your resources in the process; have been playing for a long time and got lucky that you had the toons required.

Just reporting in to say I got mine this morning, and it feels pretty good.
    Can't level/gear him up yet, but who cares. Feels good.

• Are you guy at EA ever going to more with ships? You introduced them and have done much else with it. I'd like to see light side and dark side ship nodes like you do for the characters in the game. Better and easier way to farm ships would be great.
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Buffems wrote: »
    Are you guy at EA ever going to more with ships? You introduced them and have done much else with it. I'd like to see light side and dark side ship nodes like you do for the characters in the game. Better and easier way to farm ships would be great.

Ships and other aspects of the game are still on our radar, but our team has admittedly been occupied with content of territorial proportions as of late.
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • Buffems wrote: »
    Are you guy at EA ever going to more with ships? You introduced them and have done much else with it. I'd like to see light side and dark side ship nodes like you do for the characters in the game. Better and easier way to farm ships would be great.

Ships and other aspects of the game are still on our radar, but our team has admittedly been occupied with content of territorial proportions as of late.

What about a return date for cls I missed him on the account of 2 tons

Thanks for the info.

Could at the very least have Cassian's U-Wing, TIE Reaper, Kylos Shuttle, and maybe the Falcon become farmable just so we can star up some of these ships that were only available in packs? That content is there, just needs to be unleashed.
    I am very excited for the territory battles! I'm starting to wonder if you guys are saving these for the territory battle shop.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Buffems wrote: »

Ships has been the favorite part of this game for me, but an all out focus on TB is cool with me