CLS is cheap as heck!!!!

I faced my first 7* CLS in GW today. He was squad leader with about 22k power. With ONE attack, he took out my untouched 18500 power (13k health + 19k protection) Zaul!!!!

How is this possible???!!!

I swear CLS was a little B in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. He's way OP!!!

This is what I would expect from ROTJ or TFA Luke, not little B EMPIRE Luke.

Replies

• Xezee
    274 posts Member
    Options
    How does one make people panic and powergrind toons which they will barely ever use again?
    Oh wait, you answered that :)
  • Options
    I faced him in gw too today, with GK, chaze and r2. G11 and all but one skill maxed. Didn't matter, he died just like any other toon. R2 and chaze were bigger problem.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moving to appropriate sub-forum: Feedback: Characters
  • Options
    Cls would be great if he was on my Jedi team.
  • Options
    I've noticed that CLS is terrible on other teams. I like him on mine, though.
  • Options
    This just goes to show you that the developers don't give a flip about the movies or cannon beyond the proper spelling of names. I would not be shocked to see Jar Jar come with a Sith tag and force choke, stealth, and annihilate. This Luke destroys Vader effortlessly, yet in the movies and stories, this luke got his hand lopped off and his tail handed to him. There is no rhyme or reason to any of their releases now beyond their fetish level stalker love of Rebels. It's unbelievable. This is not how you develop a meta or strategy. You don't swing the pendulum back and forth between two directions. You let it hang down in the middle of a circular map with slices per faction cut out like a pie chart. Everyone has a way per faction to touch the meta pendulum at once and there is an answer to everything. Not this all encompassing titanic crybaby triple zeta release. It's absurd!
  • Options
    DJayK3 wrote: »
    I faced my first 7* CLS in GW today. He was squad leader with about 22k power. With ONE attack, he took out my untouched 18500 power (13k health + 19k protection) Zaul!!!!

Yes, THIS would make PERFECT SENSE as ROTJ LUKE. That particular luke was awesome! This one is disturbingly op and a Luke that got smacked around by Vader yet can handily wipe out a sith team with little effort.
  • Options

Yes, THIS would make PERFECT SENSE as ROTJ LUKE. That particular luke was awesome! This one is disturbingly op and a Luke that got smacked around by Vader yet can handily wipe out a sith team with little effort.

They did put the overpowered luke on the wrong version of him, how do you get the master versions to compare to this monster padawan. Plus we are getting stacked with multiple versions of the same characters thats understandable but weak, now this new mode is already narrow because theres been a steady release of characters to only 2 or 3 factions, the most popular well known cash grabs of course instead of making moves that would bring some real diversity. . . but anxious to see where it all goes right now so im bringing luke and the next luke home baby
  • Options
    This just goes to show you that the developers don't give a flip about the movies or cannon beyond the proper spelling of names. I would not be shocked to see Jar Jar come with a Sith tag and force choke, stealth, and annihilate. This Luke destroys Vader effortlessly, yet in the movies and stories, this luke got his hand lopped off and his tail handed to him. There is no rhyme or reason to any of their releases now beyond their fetish level stalker love of Rebels. It's unbelievable. This is not how you develop a meta or strategy. You don't swing the pendulum back and forth between two directions. You let it hang down in the middle of a circular map with slices per faction cut out like a pie chart. Everyone has a way per faction to touch the meta pendulum at once and there is an answer to everything. Not this all encompassing titanic crybaby triple zeta release. It's absurd!

Bingo!!!
  • Options
    veejayti wrote: »

They did put the overpowered luke on the wrong version of him, how do you get the master versions to compare to this monster padawan. Plus we are getting stacked with multiple versions of the same characters thats understandable but weak, now this new mode is already narrow because theres been a steady release of characters to only 2 or 3 factions, the most popular well known cash grabs of course instead of making moves that would bring some real diversity. . . but anxious to see where it all goes right now so im bringing luke and the next luke home baby

You have to remember though that in ROTJ, it was Vader who saved Luke from EP. Now in game we have the whiny little beatch version of Luke who can wipe out EP in one shot. Or a Fulcrum who can one shot Vader! Developers really need to rework the entire game to match more to the known SW universe and quit playing favorites to the LS. As it stands in game now, the only good DS toon is DN on a light side team.
  • Options
    Agreed he is wayyyy too overpowered, it's ridiculous. I spent a lot of money on this game, and the one time I didn't get a new toon, and I can't compete competitively in the area. Now we have two new toon, Old Chewy and Old Han, I am sure they will be beating full zeta Sith time in no time. . This game is getting way too expensive to keep buying new toons every other week.
  • TVF
    36597 posts Member
    Options
    Thread title made me laugh. I assumed he just never picks up the check.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    To the OP:

Wait till you face a full gear 12 CLS lead team in GW. All 5 toons at gear 12. I didn't get a shot off.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options
    So much Bull crap though, CLS and R2 dominate GW, for the people who dont have it yet, its almost impossible to finish GW. i just hit level 85 and im already facing g11 and g12 CLS and R2, i feel the matchmaking in GW is unfair with users that are fresh 85s. this actually makes me wanna stop playing the game.
  • Options
    @Azrael101

You're right that you're going to get unfair matches. And you're right that it's more common for fresh 85s than for level 60 folks or for old 85s.

If it helps (please ignore any suggestions if you only wanted to vent or if you already know all this stuff), the matches are probably based off of toons that you actually use.

EA/CG will not comment on how the difficulty is established, but we know it's a comparison of a squad's Power Rating. At node 1 you face teams with 60% of your best squad's Power Rating. At node 12 it's 120-125% IIRC.

The hard part is that they use the old Power Rating and not the new Galactic Power. The old Power Rating system did not increase Power for increasing abilities. It didn't directly increase it for gear, either. It was calculated off of things like your Health, Protection, Offense, and Speed. However, Health and Protection were weighted particularly heavily, so tanks have higher Power than attackers, even though a squad of 5 attackers will always thrash a squad of 5 tanks.

Gear only affected Power rating if it affected Health, Protection & other basic stats.

This means that some very useful pieces of gear that increase speed by +6 or offense by +60 or more barely affected Power. It also meant that, since ability increases did not affect Power, the Power of a toon did not go up at all when you added a Zeta, even though we all know that Zetas can easily double the effectiveness of a toon.

So your problem is that you're high enough level to get most of the health/protection increases available, but you don't yet have the Zetas, which count for **zero** in the matching algorithm.

All this is to say, there is a way to game the system - to "hack" GW.

It's not clear whether or not the Power comparison is to the best 5 toons, even if they have no synergy, to the highest Power squad you've used in Arena, or to the highest Power squad you've used in GW's first 5 or 6 nodes (the rumor is that the last 6 nodes don't count for setting difficulty. It's hard to know, but the rumor is persistent). But the answers are the same:

1. Increase the power of your B, C & D teams to get them closer to your A teams before boosting your A team. If you're always boosting only a few toons, then difficulty will be set for those toons and you won't have a B or C team that can help you out when things get rough.
    2. Don't *just* use your highest power toons in Arena. If you can find a team with good synergy and 5k-10k less power, you'll do at least as well without pushing the difficulty of GW up so much. Yes, you want to increase the power of this good-synergy team as well, but if you can do that through increasing the offense of the team and/or by adding zetas, you'll pay less of a penalty in GW difficulty than if you add Health or Protection to that team. Remember that when choosing mods, which gear to equip, etc.
    3. Use your low-power toons on the first 5 nodes of GW. It makes those nodes much harder than they would otherwise be, and doesn't help you at all today, but as your good toons get more powerful, you can rotate them out of the squads you use for the first 5 nodes and rotate new toons in. This way you're constantly adding better toons to your high-power roster, but you won't be getting any difficulty increases for using those toons in the first 5 nodes.
    4. Node 6 might-or-might-not count for GW difficulty. It's also significantly harder than nodes 1-5. To play it safe, you can use 4 really good toons that have a Power rating about the same as 5 lower-power toons, and those 4 higher-power toons will actually have an easier time crushing node 6 than a full squad of lesser toons.

The important thing with the squads in GW nodes 1-6 or your Arena squads is that you pick a maximum Galactic Power for your squad and don't let any squad you use exceed that. This isn't perfect, because Galactic Power is calculated differently than the old Power Rating, but by limiting the power you use and graduating toons out as they get too powerful to fit in your lower-level squads, you can hold difficulty close to steady while you grow and develop your roster.

This system is far from perfect, but it is something you can do now both to make the doable-nodes of GW more fun (right now I'm sure it goes from so-easy-it's-boring right to this-is-impossible!) and to hold the currently impossible-nodes steady so that you can get to the point of beating them sooner than would happen if you focussed on only a few toons.

NOW - with all that said, if you're currently someone that fights for a spot in the top 50 of your Arena shard, you won't be able to hold that if you're limiting your Arena power. Just forget the idea entirely. You can't stall your growth in Arena squads while others grow their Arena squads and do as well as you have always done.

So if you're currently near the tops in Arena, you're going to be sacrificing crystals and Arena tokens to get Cash, Crystals, and GW tokens.

But if you're never in the top 50 in Arena, then careful attention to synergies can help you build the teams you need to stay somewhere in the 100-500 range even while limiting growth in Arena Power. I currently use un undeveloped, under geared Royal Guard in the 5th spot of my Arena team, Yoda in the 4th spot for Tenacity Up against all those nasty Sith/Empire debuff squads. Then I use 3 rebels (almost always Wiggs +Lando or Wiggs + Leia). Since Yoda's main purpose is to get off Tenacity UP and then maybe one stun in round 2, I don't have to invest as heavily in Yoda. I have good mods and gear on Wiggs, Leia & Lando. They're protected from 2-shot specials in the early rounds by RG (obviously if you can be 1-shotted, RG doesn't help). They're protected from debuffs by Yoda's Tenacity up ... and then by the cool downs of the specials that apply most of the debuffs. Their only job is dish out damage quickly, and Rebels are good at that.

My squad has a Power of 60k, falls as far as 350th overnight, and finishes 150-250 at payout after beating squads with as much as 84k power as long as I remember to check their stats and make sure they don't have any toons that can go before Biggs or Yoda. I don't need any better than that because I don't want to fight for #1, and over time it's allowed my GW to be much easier than it would otherwise.

It's a long-term strategy, and it does have its tradeoffs, but every strategy has its tradeoffs. You can decides if this strategy is worth it to you.
  • TVF
    36597 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sorry I blacked out partway through your post (too long!) but I believe it was confirmed by a dev that it's the stat power rating of your five most powerful toons. Doesn't matter if you've used them together or in any combination.

And yeah, I'm doing what you suggest at the end, I'm purposely limiting my A team's growth to keep GW manageable and working on upgrading my backup teams instead. I'm managing to hold on to around a 200 rank in arena, which is worth it to me.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Sorry I blacked out partway through your post (too long!) but I believe it was confirmed by a dev that it's the stat power rating of your five most powerful toons. Doesn't matter if you've used them together or in any combination.

And yeah, I'm doing what you suggest at the end, I'm purposely limiting my A team's growth to keep GW manageable and working on upgrading my backup teams instead. I'm managing to hold on to around a 200 rank in arena, which is worth it to me.

No such confirmation from Dev. And whether you choose to believe or not, plenty of people have broken their Galactic War nodes by using their 5 most powerful toons in a fight.
  • TVF
    36597 posts Member
    Options
    Ok.
  • Options
    zFin crash any team in GW almost without any hit from the opponent side.

GK Zariss and DN would destroy CLS teams easily.
  • Options

Sorry what exactly do you mean by limiting A team's growth?
  • Options
    @Nosfentor

If your best team is full of gear10 toons, then make sure you have a couple of squads of gear9 toons before working on boosting your g10 toons up to g11.

If you have 5 x g11 toons and all your other toons are g8 or less, then when your g11 toons hit a node they can't beat (either because they're the wrong squad for that opponent or just bad RNG) there's no one that you can call on to back up your big hitters - if g11s can't do it, even when they're the wrong toons for the job, then g8s can't do it even when they're the right toons for the job.

You need 10-15 toons that are close to as good as your best 5 if you want a better chance of finishing GW.
  • Options
    @Nosfentor

If your best team is full of gear10 toons, then make sure you have a couple of squads of gear9 toons before working on boosting your g10 toons up to g11.

If you have 5 x g11 toons and all your other toons are g8 or less, then when your g11 toons hit a node they can't beat (either because they're the wrong squad for that opponent or just bad RNG) there's no one that you can call on to back up your big hitters - if g11s can't do it, even when they're the wrong toons for the job, then g8s can't do it even when they're the right toons for the job.

You need 10-15 toons that are close to as good as your best 5 if you want a better chance of finishing GW.

Can you look at my toons here? https://swgoh.gg/u/nosfentor/
  • Options
    I usually use dn, Vader, palp, dooku, Sith trooper for all the modes until I reach node 12. Is that wrong?

I reserve my kylo (zeta) and savage (zeta) for the harder nodes.
  • Options
    @Nosfentor

Yeah, that's **kind of** wrong. The first 4-5 nodes you want to use a different team on every node because only 1 toon will strike the last blow, so 4 of each squad will have bonus turn meter at the start of the next fight. That extra turn meter is always helpful, but even more so because you don't have Speed mods for some of the toons that rely on speed (Wedge, Biggs, some others).

After the first 4-5 nodes, then you can then use DN, Vader, Palp, Dooku & ST for the nodes 5-10 or 5-11. DN lead and Wedge lead are 2 of the 3 best leads for GW because they give their squads constant healing with every attack. Your Sith are more developed than your rebels, so you're making the right choice.

It's good to leave leadership abilities at level 1, like you did with Leia, if you don't plan to use them, but there are some other abilities that might need to be upgraded. It says your Nihilus is only 39% upgraded for abilities. Is that right? Anyway, Wedge's leadership should be fully upgraded, and other than leadership, Leia & Biggs should be fully upgraded.

You're a bit lacking in Stun-focussed characters who aren't Sith. When you swap out your DN team or it gets defeated, you'll still need Stunners for certain strategies to be successful.

I'd put some effort into R2 and Old Daka.

Long term, Resistance is good for GW once you get a zeta for Finn because the constant TM gain + Expose makes it possible to rip through a lot of enemies before they get their attack sequences rolling. You'll need Rey and Resistance Trooper for that to come together.

I guess I'm curious which GW teams are beating you, since you don't seem to have the problem that a lot of folks do when they struggle with GW - 3-5 gear11 toons and no one else with gear above 8.

If Darth Maul teams are giving you trouble, get Plo Koon (and work on r2, but you need to do that anyway). If QGJ teams are giving you trouble, try picking up Ventress.

But mostly, I think having multiple teams with pre-loaded TM is going to help, because then when Nihilus isn't the right counter to an opposing squad (or when you need to throw in a suicide squad against a tough opponent) the enemy won't wipe out your B team before it has a chance to go.

A lot of people have problems with that - your real advantage is having TM left over from the last fight, but if you send in a suicide squad against a tough opponent and the suicide squad doesn't do enough damage, then you lose that advantage because your opponent will now have TM left over from beating your ****. But if you want your **** to do serious damage against a strong opponent, they're going to have to get in a bunch of attacks before the opponent can go - and the only way to do that is either with Stuns or with TM pre-loaded. Your stunners are on your main squad, and you've got no TM pre-loaded if you're using your Nihilus team from Node 1.

So, although I see some things you could improve on your roster, you might find that managing TM helps you a lot right away.
  • Options
    Boooo

Face a General Kenobi with Zariss, then we'll talk.
  • Options
    CLS is ridiculous.

But as mentioned, in terms of GW, zFinn and co. are your besties, half decent chance you take the whole team down without them even getting a turn.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    Huatimus wrote: »

No such confirmation from Dev. And whether you choose to believe or not, plenty of people have broken their Galactic War nodes by using their 5 most powerful toons in a fight.

It was confirmed. Five strongest toons are what determine GW dificulty. Don't have to use them together.
  • Options
    @Nosfentor

Yeah, that's **kind of** wrong. The first 4-5 nodes you want to use a different team on every node because only 1 toon will strike the last blow, so 4 of each squad will have bonus turn meter at the start of the next fight. That extra turn meter is always helpful, but even more so because you don't have Speed mods for some of the toons that rely on speed (Wedge, Biggs, some others).

After the first 4-5 nodes, then you can then use DN, Vader, Palp, Dooku & ST for the nodes 5-10 or 5-11. DN lead and Wedge lead are 2 of the 3 best leads for GW because they give their squads constant healing with every attack. Your Sith are more developed than your rebels, so you're making the right choice.

It's good to leave leadership abilities at level 1, like you did with Leia, if you don't plan to use them, but there are some other abilities that might need to be upgraded. It says your Nihilus is only 39% upgraded for abilities. Is that right? Anyway, Wedge's leadership should be fully upgraded, and other than leadership, Leia & Biggs should be fully upgraded.

You're a bit lacking in Stun-focussed characters who aren't Sith. When you swap out your DN team or it gets defeated, you'll still need Stunners for certain strategies to be successful.

I'd put some effort into R2 and Old Daka.

Long term, Resistance is good for GW once you get a zeta for Finn because the constant TM gain + Expose makes it possible to rip through a lot of enemies before they get their attack sequences rolling. You'll need Rey and Resistance Trooper for that to come together.

I guess I'm curious which GW teams are beating you, since you don't seem to have the problem that a lot of folks do when they struggle with GW - 3-5 gear11 toons and no one else with gear above 8.

If Darth Maul teams are giving you trouble, get Plo Koon (and work on r2, but you need to do that anyway). If QGJ teams are giving you trouble, try picking up Ventress.

But mostly, I think having multiple teams with pre-loaded TM is going to help, because then when Nihilus isn't the right counter to an opposing squad (or when you need to throw in a suicide squad against a tough opponent) the enemy won't wipe out your B team before it has a chance to go.

A lot of people have problems with that - your real advantage is having TM left over from the last fight, but if you send in a suicide squad against a tough opponent and the suicide squad doesn't do enough damage, then you lose that advantage because your opponent will now have TM left over from beating your ****. But if you want your **** to do serious damage against a strong opponent, they're going to have to get in a bunch of attacks before the opponent can go - and the only way to do that is either with Stuns or with TM pre-loaded. Your stunners are on your main squad, and you've got no TM pre-loaded if you're using your Nihilus team from Node 1.

So, although I see some things you could improve on your roster, you might find that managing TM helps you a lot right away.

Thanks buddy for your very clear explanation.

The only problem I have in GW is CLS LEAD g12, R2D2 g12, chaze g11' gk g11 all speed above 220 except baze. It's really tough. These days I don't even try node 12. Sometimes I get four g12 toons.

I have no problems with zeta maul or zeta qgj lead, only bloody CLS. And obviously I don't have him.
  • Options
    Oh, that's your problem?

Yeah, that's a problem with the matching algorithm that bases matches on toon's using the old power rating system. The matching algorithm doesn't use Galactic Power, but instead uses the original Power stat. That power stat did not consider things like Ability Level, so a toon with a level 1 leadership and a toon with a Zeta'd leadership have exactly the same power as far as the matching algorithm is concerned. The MA also doesn't consider mods directly (it considers your health, and if your health is changed by your mods it does consider that). It also severely undervalues Speed. So you can increase your speed a ton and have your matches barely change, if at all. Zeta/no-zeta does not change matching.

So ... this is more about you just getting hosed by EA. I'd still pre-load TM, because a suicide squad that can take out Baze will be useful, and if you have an Annihilate saved up, then you have a good chance to take down CLS. But that's dependent on not having a taunter in there, which means you need someone to stun or dispel Baze and then a bunch of damage dealers to take Baze down.

Preload TM on Rebels + Boba. Hopefully the rebels will do more damage than Baze can heal, but once protection is gone they won't do a lot directly to Baze's health because your crits will be giving Baze HoTs. After a bunch of rebel attacks go off, Boba goes and uses Execute, with the many HoTs super-powering his damage as they are dispelled.

Then, if they die fast enough, Baze won't get healed up again, or might even be dead. Your sith come in, clear the remains of Baze if they have to, and nihilism gets rid of CLS. Hopefully your Sith can also take out one other toon, any of them are good choices. You won't have to worry about GK's auto taunt because your sith can't do crits, so if Baze is down and CLS gets annihilated, taking down one more should be possible.

Whichever 2 are left will still be tough nuts to crack, but that's the job of your 3rd squad, whoever they are.

I'm not saying this will always work, but it's the best strategy you're likely to get against a really unfair EA algorithm. I have my own problems with a team they keep feeding me on g12: zQGJ (L), zBarriss, GK, zzYoda, Aayla. I never picked up Nihilus, so my best damage dealers all deal Crits, which activates GK, who heals 20% health ever time you crit against him and had a huge health pool. Leia against GK with zBarriss just heals him like a Ring of Regeneration.

I decided a while ago to put together a resistance team, and I've got all of them at 7* except finn (6*) and almost all at g9 (RT & R2 need Mk3 Holos). Got 17 zeta mats. Hopefully when they've got TM preloaded and expose does as much damage as Barriss heals (and they don't do as many crits anyway, I can use them to rip through GK and either QGJ or zBarriss, taking protection off some others. I'm worried about Yoda, but we'll see how it goes. In any case, if I can get rid of either QGJ lead effects or Barriss' frustrating insta-heal, then my crit dealers can come in and mop up.
  • Rlex
    160 posts Member
    Options

Which is part of the reason why I bought the collectors edition of overwatch and am happily playing that. Even bought a good friend the goty edition. I only touch swgoh when It's something guild related. If you're not going to spend a ton of real money on this game there's no real point in playing it. Because that's how they're gearing it.