What we learned from the CLS event

Prev13
1) The events from the devs are constantly improving. We all loved the different roles the characters played in this one (especially Ben).

2) Even though some people had to farm a toon from 0 shards, there were packs available for purchase and enough time to bring that toon to 7*.

3) Luke is awesome. It's nice to finally get a toon on the first go of an event. Congrats to those that unlocked him. For those that didn't, you'll get him next time. I personally missed Yoda and EP and only 5* R2 and Thrawn. Just don't put off farming what you need until the last minute again. Finish now so that you are ready.

4) We need to continue expanding our rosters (they hinted it for territory battles). Some of us struggle to chase the meta for arena, myself included. Over the past few months, it's been more fun to expand my roster for the rest of the game.

5) High risk / high reward - If it wasn't for the forums and everyone theorycrafting, I wouldn't have started farming Ben and Leia well before the event. Sometimes it pays off to listen to the community. For that, thank you. It was a risk, but it paid off.

Replies

• Devs often leave hints. This time around they told us Luke would rejoin "old friends."

People who are paying attention put 2 and 2 together.
  • DarkHelmet wrote: »
    2) Even though some people had to farm a toon from 0 shards, there were packs available for purchase and enough time to bring that toon to 7*.
    Ehhh... I broadly agree with you, but I disagree here. Three or more refreshes a day to get within spitting distance so you can pay $20 to get a character doesn't seem like enough time to me. Especially if you need to gear that character, too.

Devs often leave hints. This time around they told us Luke would rejoin "old friends."

People who are paying attention put 2 and 2 together.
    I'm also going to pull out a yellow card on this. Players always--ALWAYS--come up with dumb theories any time the developers say anything. Unless it's datamined information, it's always wrong. This is the one time people got it right and folks are crowing about it like they're never wrong. I don't blame anyone for healthy skepticism when it comes to player predictions.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I hoped they followed the previous template when we can unlock at 5*. This change to 7* unlock is a disappointment.
  • Tarugo91 wrote: »
    I hoped they followed the previous template when we can unlock at 5*. This change to 7* unlock is a disappointment.

I kind of agree. What's the point of stars if owning the character is either yes or no?

On the other hand, it's nice to have thrawn pvp viable.. But I'm itching to try him in a raid. (only 5* for me)
  • Mkalmurphy wrote: »
    What's the point of stars if owning the character is either yes or no?

Adding to that, I got CL but I was only able to get him to G8 and his abilities aren't maxed in any category. In other words, he kinda stinks and will continue to stink for me for a little while. I wonder how many people have CL yet don't have him built up to where he's viable. And I wonder how long it will take me to get him there. I never hoarded gear for him because I had to gear up the team just to get him, so this is all on me.

At the same time, I consider it a fortunate problem to have, knowing that plenty of people would like to be in my shoes but can't be.
  • Mkalmurphy wrote: »
    What's the point of stars if owning the character is either yes or no?

Adding to that, I got CL but I was only able to get him to G8 and his abilities aren't maxed in any category. In other words, he kinda stinks and will continue to stink for me for a little while. I wonder how many people have CL yet don't have him built up to where he's viable. And I wonder how long it will take me to get him there. I never hoarded gear for him because I had to gear up the team just to get him, so this is all on me.

At the same time, I consider it a fortunate problem to have, knowing that plenty of people would like to be in my shoes but can't be.

I had a 7* R2 as soon as he came out, just got him to g11 a few days ago. Now I can use him in arena, but he sent on the bench for a long time, I almost gave up on him
  • DarkHelmet
    161 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    A lot of people had most or all of the toons already. Those that really wanted to spend money for it were given the opportunity. It felt nice to be rewarded for those that started playing early on.
    It felt nice to be rewarded for those that started playing early on.

Agree, and have the devs actually said this was perhaps a reason they did it this way? I haven't seen that, but I have to believe that was part of the reason why they did it the way they did.
    I hoped they followed the previous template when we can unlock at 5*. This change to 7* unlock is a disappointment.

Was hoping for the same. I could have at least gotten him to 5 or 6 stars.
  • 6. Unlocking a character can now require up to ten seven-star characters.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu

That wasn't true for me. I only needed Luke and Old Ben, as I had the rest at 7*. Since Luke and Old Ben both needed cantina energy to farm, I could only farm one at the same time. I started farming both since it was announced, and I was also getting Luke shards from the Guild store, the single hard battle and the daily login. I currently need 82 Luke shards and 172 Old Ben shards. I would have purchased the rest if I were closer, but currently it would be too expensive.

Anyway, it's my own fault for ignoring the hints the developers provided. I'll get him the next time.
  • That's all great. What do those us of with little to do to our rosters but farm a few stragglers and keep grinding out the same few gear pieces do while waiting?
  • danrussoa wrote: »
    That's all great. What do those us of with little to do to our rosters but farm a few stragglers and keep grinding out the same few gear pieces do while waiting?

Continue getting ready for territory battles.

7. JKL could quite easily require up to 15 7* characters and a minimum of 30 heroic rancor raids + however many territory battles are required to unlock Hoth Han, Leia and Hermit Yoda.

7. JKL could quite easily require up to 15 7* characters and a minimum of 30 heroic rancor raids + however many territory battles are required to unlock Hoth Han, Leia and Hermit Yoda.

If CLS is required for JKL, and he most likely will, then yes having 10+ characters isn't far fetched. Use this opportunity to think about who was involved with his journey and continue farming.
  • I loved the event, had to spend to get CLS but he is awesome. One piece away from g9, have 4 of his abilities maxed, working on second zeta for him. He is a game changer for me.
  • Statement #2 is false. The other statements are mostly true.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Statement #2 is false. The other statements are mostly true.

What's wrong with #2?
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    6. shard drop rates are altered at certain times to gain revenue.

It's very rare that I do any hating. I love the game and I think the devs do a great job. However, I've never experienced a drop rate as poor as old ben's. As I sim another 12 battles with 0 shards I'm glad the event is nearly over. 'It's just bad rng' - I don't buy it.
  • Rapid wrote: »

It's very rare that I do any hating. I love the game and I think the devs do a great job. However, I've never experienced a drop rate as poor as old ben's. As I sim another 12 battles with 0 shards I'm glad the event is nearly over. 'It's just bad rng' - I don't buy it.

But it is just bad RNG
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • The drop rate has been stated at about 33%. You go through bad spells, and those stick with you. Just try to remember that you will get higher than the average drop at other times.

I've a superstition about this. I always sim 3 at a time and if I get nothing in the first 2 lots I exit Cantina battles, do something else, go back and try again. No idea if it actually works but it seems to help.

I guarantee you it isn't. With one refresh a day, I was on pace to finish him in time if the event started at the end of the month. I was getting 12-15 a day, which is above expectations. Once I saw the event was shorter and started earlier, I stopped. But the odds weren't monkied.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.

This is absolutely false as someone who gave up after doing 3 refreshes every day until I got a total of 6 shards in a 2 day period. If there was another week I would agree with you, but there wasn't.
  • Sorry but I don't feel bad about anyone that needed Luke or old ben to get CLS, it's obvious, old Ben was Luke's mentor, Luke was said it would be needed, and we'll I hear some people complain about R2, but he was his teammate forever and ever!!!!!!! Leia and Han, ok, not so obvious, apart that leia is Luke's sister, so....

I kind of like 1 or 2 rare, and powerful toons, only unlocking at 7*... it's nice that they keep trying to change aspects of the game. You can't please everyone, and there will be hits & misses, but I like they're trying different things. They make us farm toons we wouldn't have otherwise but they tend to rework, and thus make them worthwhile as well...
  • TofuMao wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't feel bad about anyone that needed Luke or old ben to get CLS, it's obvious, old Ben was Luke's mentor, Luke was said it would be needed, and we'll I hear some people complain about R2, but he was his teammate forever and ever!!!!!!! Leia and Han, ok, not so obvious, apart that leia is Luke's sister, so....

The developers said something about Luke and his friends... Would someone have been wrong to start farming Wedge and Biggs for the CLS event? They were his friends.

Point is, stop pretending you had any idea what the requirements were going to be. Anyone would be completely logical to have farmed Luke, Leia, Biggs, Wedge and Han, especially since we had no idea R2 would be back.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • TofuMao wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't feel bad about anyone that needed Luke or old ben to get CLS, it's obvious, old Ben was Luke's mentor, Luke was said it would be needed, and we'll I hear some people complain about R2, but he was his teammate forever and ever!!!!!!! Leia and Han, ok, not so obvious, apart that leia is Luke's sister, so....

The developers said something about Luke and his friends... Would someone have been wrong to start farming Wedge and Biggs for the CLS event? They were his friends.

Point is, stop pretending you had any idea what the requirements were going to be. Anyone would be completely logical to have farmed Luke, Leia, Biggs, Wedge and Han, especially since we had no idea R2 would be back.

Well I had no idea and my old ben was already 7* when that was announced, but still, I would've farmed him, he was his mentor, come on, and it wouldn't have hurt anyone to farm wedge and Biggs AKA as Wiggs, because their ships rock, so another good thing, if you have been farming nightsisters it's your own fault.
    And R2, everyone had 3 months to prepare for him as we did with palpatine, I didn't unlock him first time around but had everything ready for take 2, just planning unless of being stubborn.
    Only doubt was chewbaka to be needed, but as his name states, he is clone wars chewie, so couldn't fit, even though I farmed him to close to 6* when Luke's friends were announced. Didn't hurt me at all to farm chewie a bit, might be needed one day along with CUP and nightsisters.

• The developers said something about Luke and his friends... Would someone have been wrong to start farming Wedge and Biggs for the CLS event? They were his friends.

The wording they used was "familiar faces." And yes - someone who thought Wedge and Biggs were faces more familiar than Han, Leia, R2 or Ben wasn't thinking through this very well.

• The developers said something about Luke and his friends... Would someone have been wrong to start farming Wedge and Biggs for the CLS event? They were his friends.

The wording they used was "familiar faces." And yes - someone who thought Wedge and Biggs were faces more familiar than Han, Leia, R2 or Ben wasn't thinking through this very well.

The opposite really, he grew up with Biggs, he'd known the others between 1 and 6 days for the timing of this event.