Simplified Mod Guide

Simple Guide to Mods
Since most players do not have the time to read page after page of every opinion on every mod setup, I have made a simple guide for newbies and veterans alike to assist with modding a character effectively.
1. Every character has a use and I will break them down simply (most characters fit, not all)
A. Tanks – tanks purpose is to absorb damage so you want health/protection and defense for tanks as your primary stats, keep in mind abilities and pairing will play a role in what takes precedence

B. Attackers – attackers purpose is to do damage and survive, this is where it gets more complicated based on how damage is produced

C. Healers – healers primarily exist to heal the group, however there are some that also double as attackers, meaning you need to balance what the role is, whether it’s just a healer (ex. Barris) or a Healer/Attacker (ex. Chirrut)

Special Note: I always recommend complete sets for mods, as this is the most effective use

Mod Sets:

Health: increases max health by 2.5% (max level 5%):
This set type is utilized by tanks, healers and any toon that uses a percent of health ability.
This set is also one of the best for early users and new toons as you build them up, they are the easiest to farm and are compatible with every character. Keep in mind they are place holders for Attackers and Support since they are better than nothing but not better than a well thought out mod setup

Defense: 2pc set, Increase Defense by 2.5% (Max Level 5%):
Utilized primarily for tanks, this set has limited advantage over other sets and depending on the tank may not be optimal.

Critical Damage: 4pc set, Increases Critical Damage by 15% (max level 30%):
This is one of the main sets used for all attackers, however you must ensure enough Crit Chance exists for this to be truly effective.
Ensure your effective crit rate is over 75% to make the most of this set (still very effective at lower crit as well, but more crit means more benefit from this set)
Effective Crit: this is your base crit chance + Mods + unique ability + leader (stats as applicable) + buffs
Ex. Clone Sgt Base 45.97% + Mods (9%) + Unique (4.5% x number clones = 13.5%) + Cody Lead 30% = 98.47% effective crit chance, if you add in a crit chance buff you are over the cap in this example
(ex. Princess Leia or Raid Han give party wide crit chance up buff)

Critical Chance: 2pc set, Increases Critical Chance by 2.5% (Max level 5%):
This is one of the more effective 2 piece sets used for general attackers, and can often make it possible to utilize Crit Damage set. If Crit is not high enough, no amount of crit damage matters.
Tenacity: 2pc set, Increases Tenacity by 5% (Max level 10%):
This set has minimal use since tenacity is primarily used to prevent debuffs from being applied. These would only be used primarily for battles or setups where resisting is beneficial. (Ex. Ayaala Secura lead gives health to Jedi when resist)
This set may primarily be utilized for tanks however you can gain 24% from 5* cross mod of any set which is often more than is needed.

Offense: 4pc set, Increases Offense by 5% (Max level 10%):
This is the set that has some of the most heated debate, since offense is good for almost every role in some capacity.
The primary use for these would be for attackers since Offense directly impacts base damage it has a role in all aspects.
The downside of this set is that you give up a lot for it and if your setup allows for crit hits it will most likely not provide the greatest advantage (ex. DN Lead sith team cannot crit due to leader ability, making offense mods advantageous for this team).

Potency 2pc set, Increases Potency by 5% (Max level 10%):
Potency is utilized to increase the chance of landing debuffs on the enemy, to consistently land debuffs on raid bosses (HAAT/Heroic Rancor) it is generally accepted that the number to aim for is 60% or greater. Typically 60% is easily reached by a potency Cross (24%) plus 1 potency set, if you do not have strong mods you can utilize up to 3 of this set, however the number is not that difficult to reach with potency cross, 1 set and secondary stats on mods.

Speed: 4pc set, Increases Speed by 5% (Max level 10%):
This set is designed to provide additional speed, this is particularly useful for all classes and is one of the only sets that can be applied to every character and be a benefit (not best). The 5/10% increase only applies to the base speed of the character (ex. Base speed 150 = 15 speed increase). This set however should only be applied when number of turns out weighs potential damage or to make up for lack of secondary speed on other mods
(ex. R2 does not apply exceptional damage, however because he has stun on his basic Speed/Potency sets would be very good)

Secondary Stats (this is where it gets complicated):
The most important thing to recognize with secondary stats is they are random, and some appear to be very rare (speed) while others are very common (Health/Prot).
General stat priority:
Tanks: Health/Prot, Defense, Tenacity
Attackers: Speed, Crit Chance, Crit Damage (if high crit)/Offense (if low Crit or no crit), Health/Prot
Healers: Health/Prot, Speed, Potency/Tenacity

To mod in the most advantageous way, determine what stats are weighted and what order they go in in priority, I will provide 2 examples of this
1. Clone Sargent: Offense, Crit Damage, Crit Chance, Health/Prot (if run under Cody Lead, for all other leaders Crit chance is first)
Since clone Sgt does not require any speed due to his ability (50% TM on crit) you want to make sure he crits every time (or as much as possible) and you want to max Crit Damage (216%) achieved with Set and Crit Damage Triangle.

2. Princess Leia: Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Speed /Health
Due to her rework (100% TM on second stealth and increased TM gains with more hits) speed is less necessary

Final Word:
As this guide is intended to simplify, it is not intended to expressly imply how to mod any specific character.
This is designed to help you, allow your experience to shape your decisions and may the force be with you!

Replies

• Options
    Hey there! By any chance would you be able to help on each character + mods? Think I saw it somewhere here before but it's gone now. Hope you can help!
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    Options
    Grandebus wrote: »
    Hey there! By any chance would you be able to help on each character + mods? Think I saw it somewhere here before but it's gone now. Hope you can help!
    I was looking for that too. Have you tried http://apps.crouchingrancor.com/Mods/Advisor yet? I think you might find it helpful.
  • Options
    To an extent I can but really it's all about looking at abilities and prioritizing accordingly, I wasn't trying to break it down for each character.
    Determine what abilities are most effective, what impacts those abilities and prioritize that stat
    Speed solely exists to make your TM bar fill faster hence its importance to many characters, however it would only be a stat as the set bonus is typically 10-15 speed versus 30 crit dmg etc

And the mod advisor will give you the most specifics if you want the cookie cutter mods
  • Options
    None of this is helpful. The only one that was helpful has been taken down. Does anyone have a copy of the mod guide that was shutdown. I just want a simple guide to give each character 3 sets. I don't want to get into every stat
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    None of this is helpful. The only one that was helpful has been taken down. Does anyone have a copy of the mod guide that was shutdown. I just want a simple guide to give each character 3 sets. I don't want to get into every stat

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/106650/quick-easy-help-please-looking-for-that-guide-on-how-to-mod-each-toon

Disclaimer: May be out of date and does not have latest heroes.
    Post edited by J7Luke on
  • Options
    It was not intended as a cookie cutter mod set for every character but rather how to make your own choices on selecting the mods best available to you and how the stats should be weighted in that decision.....