Unpopular Opinion Time: Using the "Escape Strategy" (Zylo, Zavage, CLS)

Broxxor
595 posts Member
edited August 2017
In my opinion, it's not only an exploit - it's borderline cheating. But that's probably going a hair too far.

I've seen tons of people claiming solos on Facebook, reddit, etc - and - to me - it seems like this is NOT what the developers intended. This misuse of the escape function of the game should be patched out. And there's a simple solution in my mind:

MAKE IT TO WHERE YOU CAN ONLY ESCAPE ONCE PER CHARACTER FOR THE RAID.

That solves everything and still allows the retreat function to serve it's normal and useful purposes.

I think the HAAT was partially ruined by people exploiting this feature in the game. It promoted a lack of development on rosters for guilds relying on these methods to complete the raid and has, in my opinion, put the game in a state where people aren't even trying anymore.

If you remove the challenge from something, then it takes the fun out of it. When I see guilds recruiting or posting about their guild and saying they have the "HAAT on farm" and that they use Zylo to do P1 and Zavage to do p3 - it really shows how much the HAAT raid has fallen into nothingness imo. To me, those aren't HAAT ready guilds. Rather, they're guilds who are exploiting the game to get an advantage when they otherwise couldn't - which, to me, is cheating.
Post edited by Vampire_X on

Replies

• Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Our guild has a strict one attack only per phase so the retreat option was never a big issue for us. If they do implement a restriction, it should be one retreat per phase rule, not a per raid. CLS is very handy in multiple phases so if you are lucky enough to use him and have him escape in P1, I would like to be able to do that in P2, P3, and P4.
  • I moved already from zylo in P1. But that's not exploit or cheating.
    Your opinion isn't unpopular, your opinion just makes no sense. Retreat is a strategy, using retreat with toons that regain HP and protection is brilliant tactics that shows understanding of the game. You wanna save your toon for another fight. If he survived enough turns, what's the problem? i see no reason why you can't use zylo in P1 few times, but use Zody in p2, retreat, and then in p4 again.
    You just search for stuff to complain about.
  • Varlie wrote: »
    Our guild has a strict one attack only per phase so the retreat option was never a big issue for us. If they do implement a restriction, it should be one retreat per phase rule, not a per raid. CLS is very handy in multiple phases so if you are lucky enough to use him and have him escape in P1, I would like to be able to do that in P2, P3, and P4.

How would you know as when you retreat it doesn't register anything lol
  • CoReTeX
    202 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Broxxor wrote: »
    I think the HAAT was partially ruined by people exploiting this feature in the game. It promoted a lack of development on rosters for guilds relying on these methods to complete the raid and has, in my opinion, put the game in a state where people aren't even trying anymore.

And you don't see the bigger picture?
    I mean, If you want to to chase the uncatchable carrot, go ahead. I rather use the minimal effort methods to do the HAAT, mainly because this utterly disgusting crunch of Stun Guns, Stun Cuffs and now Carbantis makes it impossible to gear up a full team in a reasonable (enjoyable) timeframe without dumping a crapload of money.

And with the recent load of characters and their gear requirements (on top of the characters required to get said characters) there's just little point in chasing the newest thing anymore. It just won't work unless you dump money.

Maybe to you that part about money is not a big deal, but don't blame others to go the easier way. Not like it would make any difference to you, how they obtained their shards.

EDIT: Also, with CLS you have a character that can solo the rancor on it's own and perform even better in P1 HAAT than Zylo. I don't really get why Zylo is NOW an issue to you?
  • Broxxor wrote: »
    In my opinion, it's not only an exploit - it's borderline cheating. But that's probably going a hair too far.

I've seen tons of people claiming solos on Facebook, reddit, etc - and - to me - it seems like this is NOT what the developers intended. This misuse of the retreat function of the game should be patched out. And there's a simple solution in my mind:

MAKE IT TO WHERE YOU CAN ONLY RETREAT ONCE PER CHARACTER FOR THE RAID.

That solves everything and still allows the retreat function to serve it's normal and useful purposes.

If you remove the challenge from something, then it takes the fun out of it. When I see guilds recruiting or posting about their guild and saying they have the "HAAT on farm" and that they use Zylo to do P1 and Zavage to do p3 - it really shows how much the HAAT raid has fallen into nothingness imo. To me, those aren't HAAT ready guilds. Rather, they're guilds who are exploiting the game to get an advantage when they otherwise couldn't - which, to me, is cheating.

Let me guess....someone solo p1 with Savage and you ranked 4th in raid because he done more damage then you :D
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    There is one "big picture" point that is being completely missed in the OP. Most guilds that have multiple players with Zeta Kylo (or Zavage or CLS) at 7* and max gear can easily farm HAAT anyway. The ability to retreat multiple times for 99% of the guilds that can, is completely irrelevant. At best, they use it as a QOL time saver. That's all.

That's why that functionality hasn't been "fixed". It would change virtually nothing. But feel free to complain about imagined advantages that don't really exist.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Mihai29 wrote: »

I've seen tons of people claiming solos on Facebook, reddit, etc - and - to me - it seems like this is NOT what the developers intended. This misuse of the retreat function of the game should be patched out. And there's a simple solution in my mind:

MAKE IT TO WHERE YOU CAN ONLY RETREAT ONCE PER CHARACTER FOR THE RAID.

Let me guess....someone solo p1 with Savage and you ranked 4th in raid because he done more damage then you :D

Nope. Our guild drops the raid in ~45 minutes or so. There's no time for those kind of strategies.

Plus I can legitimately solo p4 (no retreating) so thankfully I'd never be in that position.

I just think it's an abuse of the in-game mechanic - that's all.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    There is one "big picture" point that is being completely missed in the OP. Most guilds that have multiple players with Zeta Kylo (or Zavage or CLS) at 7* and max gear can easily farm HAAT anyway. The ability to retreat multiple times for 99% of the guilds that can, is completely irrelevant. At best, they use it as a QOL time saver. That's all.

That's why that functionality hasn't been "fixed". It would change virtually nothing. But feel free to complain about imagined advantages that don't really exist.

I disagree.

I'd say most of the guilds that use this feature are using it to beat a phase they a) otherwise couldn't beat or b) could beat but would be left bare for other phases.

There's nothing time saving about using Zylo in P1 over - say - someone using the Kenobi Sink or an IGD Jedi counter team. It takes significantly longer.
    There's a retreat function in the game (not the menu). It was never intended to go into a phase, tickle the balls of Greivous, retreat, come back and tickle again, and repeat until he's so bruised that he gets an infection and dies.

That's not using the in-game tactics and strategy. That's exploiting an oversight in the game mechanics and should have been fixed a long time ago, imo.
    It's called "Escape." The ability that allows your character to survive and post a damage score.

"Retreat" is the option under the cog wheel icon (upper left corner of the screen) where you abandon the fight without posting any damage, resetting all deaths and cooldowns to what they were before you entered the battle.

Bingo. I'll edit my post to make the distinction.
  • Dayma
    260 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Well, who cares now ?
    Everything can be done SOLO without retreat anyway, Thanks to CLS.
    Solo Phase 1 with CLS is easy as hell.
    Solo P3 thanks to CLS is 3 times shorter than with Jyn (but still easely doable with Jyn mechanics under Thrawn)
    Solo P4 is like a peace of cake thanks to Leia's Rework.

Honestly your post just came 4 months too late. It would have been fun at that time, but completly useless since the CLS era.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1223164#Comment_1223164
  • Dayma wrote: »
    Well, who cares now ?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1223164#Comment_1223164

I'm perfectly fine with CLS "legit" solos. That's a character that people can use to do things without exploiting an in-game mechanic.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

I disagree.

I'd say most of the guilds that use this feature are using it to beat a phase they a) otherwise couldn't beat or b) could beat but would be left bare for other phases.
    You'd be wrong. Most guilds that have the ability to use the feature simply don't have to. As you stated, many use Jedi teams on Phase 1. Jedi are virtually useless (and there are much more effective teams) in Phases 2-4 anyway. Most guilds that are hitting HAAT have many players with collection scores in the 60s and 70s - meaning that they have several strong raid teams and can more than afford to burn a Jedi team.

Again, you are talking about a very small percentage here - and, again, that's why it hasn't been "fixed". Just look at the Nute issue - that was handled in a matter of days. The Zylo issue isn't really an issue. That's why there's been no in-game change in months.

Those few guilds that "need" to Zylo phase 1 are likely using mercs anyway, as their guild isn't strong enough - but that's a different issue all together. And, once again, a very small percentage of guilds. CG tracks this information and you can bet if "most" guilds were doing it, it would have been "fixed" very quickly - like the Nute situation a few months back.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Gauderio
    38 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    There's nothing time saving about using Zylo in P1 over - say - someone using the Kenobi Sink or an IGD Jedi counter team. It takes significantly longer.

Well, devil's advocate here but how do you propose guilds new to haat get a Kenobi sink up and running?

I think the main advantage to zylo over Kenobi is you don't require the reward for completing haat 50 times in order to complete haat the first 50 times if you use zylo.

• Gauderio
    38 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Inadvertent duplicate
  • zombiwan_kenobi
    427 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Dayma wrote: »
    Well, who cares now ?

I'm perfectly fine with CLS "legit" solos. That's a character that people can use to do things without exploiting an in-game mechanic.

I don't know what's worse between exploits and power creep tbh.

One could say exploits solve partially unbalanced difficulty while power creep usually breaks the global game balance and thus pretty much kills all the fun.

It works both way. ^ ^
    Dayma wrote: »
    Well, who cares now ?

By "exploiting" you mean following the rules? Casting shade on people for following the rules is silly.

And the idea that it's unintended is nonsense. The devs commented on Zylo refreshing the retreat function, then went in and made a fix to prevent it from refreshing every turn. They fixed the Zader bug. They fixed Nutinni. But knowing full well that some toons who can regenerate health/protection and can solo P1 with enough time and retreats, what did they do? They added more who can do it even better. Zylo still can, it just takes a while now due to the escape mechanic working correctly. Zavage can. Thrawn can. And Luke can even better.

You are being needlessly insulting, and overly dramatic in accusing people of unethical behavior for playing the game exactly as it is designed. When you learn the rules of a system, and figure out an efficient/effective solution it's called strategy.

You are also making assumptions about the intentions of people you've never met based on no evidence. In fact, the devs popped the hood on the Zylo bug, and fixed it, but left it so that he and multiple other characters can still solo with retreats, said nothing to discourage people from doing so, and added more characters who can do it faster/better. I would say the evidence points to it being an acceptable, and intended behavior.

I'd say your opinion doesn't hold water. I'm glad other players can get through raids with this strategy, and that's coming from someone who has never done it personally.
  • Get this guy a box of tissues and a pacifier...STAT!!!!
  • Cls, Han, R2 solo P1 easily. They didn't even have to nerf Zylo cause as soon as damage post is open people are posting three character no escape Solos. They sure love to "fix" things the darkside can do while releasing lightside toons that make a joke of the fact they even bothered.