Potency in Raids

I have a somewhat complex question which should have a simple answer.

If I assume a raid boss(Lvl 90) is affected by tendacity down. If my toon has 100% potency I will still be resisted 15%, same if it had 80%. My question is how low can my potency be and still only be resisted 15% of the time? I am sure someone has worked this out...

Replies

• They will occasionally resist regardless. Never be able to put a % on rng. Tenacity down is your ally
  • Your speaking of the rancor I assume? You want to stack potency on your tMr toons but for an idea, my teebo is only 70% and along with TFP, hits often. My Rex is potency deficient since I use him in arena and sticks tmr more than tee both. It is weird
  • Lowest your potency can go at a guess would be say, 16% so your a hair higher then base resist, but still enough to ensure the 15% resist. It's also possible that zero potency will also give a similar chance as long as ten down is applied, but I have never experimented with low potency setups .
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Easiest method is 2 use a toon that applies tenacity down like TFP or CLS, then potency is immaterial
  • ReyCharles
    279 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I checked and my Rex and OG Han both have 20 something potency and do just fine so yeah tenacity down is really the key
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    The boss has Tenacity reduced to 15% if it has the Tenacity Down debuff. You could have 0% Potency and it wouldn't make a difference.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Huatimus wrote: »
    The boss has Tenacity reduced to 15% if it has the Tenacity Down debuff. You could have 0% Potency and it wouldn't make a difference.

Really? I thought TD just reduced the tenacity by 30. Was mistaken then.

• Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    TD reduces Tenacity by 999900%. And is unresistable.
  • Vice_torn
    599 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Ahh...most responders do not fully understand the question I am asking...

If my tm guy only has 0% potency, even with tenacity down it will be resisted half the time because of the level split.

Resist chance = tenacity-potency+levelsplit*10. ...... I think, with a minimum resist chance of 15%... And a max of 85%.

If tenacity down reduces tendacity to 15 then my magic number is 50%potency(more then that is unnessary). If tenacity is reduced to 0, then I only need 35% to only be resisted 15% of the time. I think the case is the later.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    No, you do not understand the mechanics.
    Resist chance = (Tenacity including level differences) - Potency to a minimum of 15%
    When Boss has TD and you have 0 Potency,
    Resist chance = 15% - 0 = 15%
    You need 0 Potency.

Repeat after me, you need 0 Potency when Boss has Tenacity Down debuff.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    Ahh...most responders do not fully understand the question I am asking...

If my tm guy only has 0% potency, even with tenacity down it will be resisted half the time because of the level split.

Resist chance = tenacity-potency+levelsplit*10. ...... I think, with a minimum resist chance of 15%... And a max of 85%.

If tenacity down reduces tendacity to 15 then my magic number is 50%potency(more then that is unnessary). If tenacity is reduced to 0, then I only need 35% to only be resisted 15% of the time. I think the case is the later.

It's quite simple, with tenacity down there's 15% tenacity left on the boss, 15% tenacity = 15% chance to resist, it doesn't matter if you have 0% or 1,000,000% potency
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Vice_torn
    599 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    @Ztyle @Huatimus, thank you for your response, But you both are ignoring difference in level, which matters! Even with tenacity down, against a target 5 levels above you need a certain amount of potency to minimize the chance of resisting. The point of my question was to ask exactly how much potency was needed.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    @Ztyle @Huatimus, thank you for your response, But you both are ignoring difference in level, which matters! Even with tenacity down, against a target 5 levels above you need a certain amount of potency to minimize the chance of resisting. The point of my question was to ask exactly how much potency was needed.

Tenacity Down is -999900% tenacity. No matter the level delta, the end result will still be negative. So even with 0% potency, you will run into the base 15% chance to resist.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    It doesn't matter if you are level 1 or 85 and it doesn't matter if the boss is level 2 or 6000
    With tenacity down the boss only has a 15% chance to resist, no matter what
    It's that simple, forget about everything else as it has ZERO impact on the chance to imply a debuff on a boss with tenacity down
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection