Phoenix Squad at level 40

One word ... WOW.

I let my 6 year old son start a SWGOH account last week, and I started a second account to play along with him. We even have our own guild together - The Mega Sages. :) I probably do the dad thing too much where I try to impart life lessons to him, such as "Save up your crystals and use them efficiently" when he wanted to spend 100 crystals to get 2 shards of JKA. I showed him the value of using those 100 crystals to refresh the cantina, because he ended up getting 7 shards of Hera *and* cantina tokens that let him unlock Chopper! So I was super happy with that life lesson, until he asked me right after that ... "So can I use another 100 crystals to get Jedi Knight Anakin?" :) Life lesson ... 50% complete.

Anyway, that's just an aside for the real topic here - Phoenix Squad at level 40. Man, they can bring it. I currently have Hera, Ezra, Chopper, and Kanan (all at 2 stars), and I completed my first GW this morning. Well, my son did the first 3 nodes before heading off to camp and I finished it off later. And wow, PS can bring it. I still manually ran each node, but it was seriously auto'able. I've always given the Phoenix Squad short shrift (short shrift I tells ya), but seeing how well they play together in the early game, I now see they are the perfect beginning squad for any new player. It will be a nice, stress free to play the game and get some needed credits and player shards. Kudos developers ... kudos.

Now if only the Dark Side had a similar team. :)

PS
Yes, my son will be getting to level 40 today or tomorrow, so he too will soon learn the joy of running a PS squad in GW!

PPS
I hesitate to ask this, but if anybody has a couple of free ally slots, do you mind adding my son? I think he'd get a kick out of that.

Son ally code:151-531-879
My ally code (because why not :)): 515-717-667

Replies

• A similar dark side team is Empire/Sith under Palpatine. Lots of TM gain and heavy debuffs there, so PvE content is easily beaten. At this rate, you could probably aim for a 7* Palpatine in a month. Just keep farming those Phoenix.

Toons to consider under Palpatine are TFP, Vader, RG, DT and Tarkin.
  • I have 7 star level 80 Phoenix they are my go to team for gw and guild raids I love them second to my sith team
  • ExarTheKun wrote: »
    A similar dark side team is Empire/Sith under Palpatine. Lots of TM gain and heavy debuffs there, so PvE content is easily beaten. At this rate, you could probably aim for a 7* Palpatine in a month. Just keep farming those Phoenix.

Toons to consider under Palpatine are TFP, Vader, RG, DT and Tarkin.

Hmmmmmm, good point. I had forgotten the Palp event uses Rebels. He unlocks at 5 stars, correct?

So that's 145 shards required to get a character to 5*s. At 1200 GW tokens, Zeb can get 15 shards a day. That's 5 stars in 10 days (wow, not bad).

Ezra and Hera are both cantina farms. Once unlocked at 2 stars, that's 120 shards to go. Refreshing once a day for 100 shards (which would be tight as FTP at a lower arena rank, but doable) would be 11 days to get one of them to 5 stars, so about 20 days for both (thank you handy crouncingrancor.com). In that time, you'd get 120 shards for chopper, so yeah, about 20 days for him as well.

So Hera, Ezra, and Chopperall at 5 stars in 20 days, and Zeb at 6 stars.

Which leaves the last spot. Hmmmmmmmm. Kanan is in the arena. I get 500 tokens a day (so 5 purchases every 4 days), which 25 shards every 4 days. So ... 20 days to get him to 5 stars.

Wow, that is kind of crazy symmetry there.

Now to explain this to my son and get him to buy in to 20 days of structured game play and non-frivolous spending to get a character unlocked. It's gonna be tough! Thankfully he always enjoys when I go "UNLIMITED POWER", so if I explain that's who he's getting maybe he'll be on board. :)

cJlBUVL.gif
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Add me with both if you want
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • I skipped over the last bit. I'll add you both. I think my PvE leads are Palpatine-DS, GK-LS, and zFinn-Cantina.
  • Ur story was nice. I will add ur son to experience a zader
  • And he can use my palpitine. I'll put one in cantina on on darkside
  • guidaki
    51 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Send you both allie request, why not?
    Have good set of chars (g11 GK, CLS, Chaze, Han, Wiggs, Vader, and much more), if you need any specific please send me a pm!!
  • Ceberus
    148 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Added you two just of fun gk light side and cantina and cls at challenge. Ep at ds due I don't have a good ds zeta char
  • Thanks for all the ally invites. My son had fun giving all the new characters a try last night. His favourites so far are General Kenobi and Jyn Erso.

Beyond that, I unlocked Zeb this morning from GW shards. He really is the final piece of the PS puzzle, especially at this level. Being able to get protection up right from the start of the fight, plus regenning a portion of that every turn, basically makes every PS member a tank.

I'm not regretting my decision at all to go all in on PS. Still in the dark (see what I did there!) about what Dark Side team to go with, because there is no easily available character I'm really drawn to from the start. I'm still languishing with the 4 entry level DS characters (plus one I got in a bronzium pack), and just using my allies (thanks!) to get me through the missions.

I figure I'll go Empire so I can unlock R2, but again, there's no 'obvious' team to go with. Amusingly, if I focus on my rebel PS team, I'll be able to get two great Empire characters in Thrawn and Emp Palp, so my plan is to pour all my resources into getting every PS member (except Sabine) to 7 stars, and bam, there are Thrawn and Palp. Then probably Tarkin (easy enough to get once I'm done with Kanan), TFP (cantina energy after Hera and Ezra are done), and ... maybe Vader? Maybe as a stop gap, but I think it will take too long to get him to 7 stars. Honestly, I'll probably go Magmatrooper - at least I can farm him from GW tokens after Zeb is done.

But yeah, basically I'm going to have laser focus and look to get Thrawn, Palp, and R2 as quickly as I can. Then I'll turn to getting Luke. :)
  • Ceberus
    148 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Don't forget to get boba 5* from cantina and sthan, ig88 5* from Arena for credit heist, then you only miss 2 more scoundrels
  • Yeah, in the rush to gear up Phoenix, don't neglect scoundrels. All you really need to do is get them high enough to clear Credit Heist/Droid Smuggling.
  • TheMegaSage
    393 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, in the rush to gear up Phoenix, don't neglect scoundrels. All you really need to do is get them high enough to clear Credit Heist/Droid Smuggling.

Eh, tbh you get about 1 million credits a day in GW. The credit heist comes around every couple of weeks, and at lower levels I think you're maxing out at around 3m at level 50 ... which will never happen, so more like 1m(?) credits every two weeks. I'm actually not too worried about credits for my alt account. I'm going to focus on very few characters, and I'm going to be hording my credits like the filthy lucre they are.

I figure PS to 7*s for Thrawn and Palp, then Empire to 7*s for R2, then original trilogy characters for CLS. Maybe ... what, 5 or 6 months for that? That would be my advice for any F2P player. :) Focus on one LS and one DS team, aim for those legendary characters, and don't spend on any character besides those main ones.

Oh, and PS - turns out you get a 4* Tarkin at level 42 from ships, so bonus ... decently rewards dark side characters, needed for ships, and usable in the arena. Bam.

Easy for me to say, of course. I've been playing since Dec 15 and have every character unlocked on my main account, so I don't have the 'itch' to go broad on this account.

Of course, I am worried I'm theorycrafting this too much. It's an account to play with my son, and here I am planning out the next six months of gaming. He still just likes putting gear on his characters and looking at their animations during battles. And here I am (not really, but kinda really) wishing he would want to join a large guild so I can start spending guild tokens on Holo Projectors. :) But our little guild of 2 is great, and he loves playing beside me for 30 minutes at night, so I can easily put aside my wish to be a bit more hardcore with this character and be happy spending the time with him.

Still, I wish it was possible to get daily guild tokens with a smaller guild so I can buy those projectors while they're still available!
  • If you ever have a chance to buy holoprojectors with guild currency, buy as many as you can! Everybody needs lots and lots of them.
  • Sothe
    179 posts Member
    DM me sometime and I'll give you my ally code.
  • For an imperial team, may I suggest the Imperial Trooper tag.
    Veers, storm, snow, magma are relatively farmable. Nice, shooty, fun and quite powerful. Plonk in Tarkin (who gets given to you when unlock space) and you should be golden.
    All nice iconic imp toons,
    I'm not sure at what level these dudes unlock at....
  • Gonna send you an invite. Great story. Me and my son play togather as well. He is a little more casual then me though lol. I just got a CLS he can try out too. If you guys are interested.
    Ally code: 471-197-315