Why I Love Star Wars

Wil
140 posts Member
I grew up perfectly with Star Wars and have love for EVERY MOVIE. Check out my love story on my blog on this seemingly shameless plug for myself:

http://wilharrington.com/category/entertainment/

Replies

• Admiral_Wh1skers
    1352 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I love how you said I came out in 1991. Good article and may the force be with you. Good day.
  • Wil
    140 posts Member
    Ha! I'm glad someone appreciated it. My wife seemed quite disgusted. Thanks for the nice comment!
  • Great job on that article! I loved it.
  • Wil
    140 posts Member
    Thanks, Torin!
  • Wil wrote: »
    Ha! I'm glad someone appreciated it. My wife seemed quite disgusted. Thanks for the nice comment!

Well you know what that means! Divorce lol
    When I get married, I'm gonna try to get my wife into Star Wars if she hasn't already.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I enjoyed your article @Wil

I was born in 1982 and some of my first memories was of eating a breakfast cereal called C3POs (like cheerios). Inside you could get stickers and I got a great sticker of Luke fighting Vader in the Throne Roon from ROTJ - to a kid, their lightsabers looked colourful and amazing.

Of course I grew up with the original trilogy and loved every scene in each movie. As I got older I loved the scene where Ben was telling Luke about the Clone Wars and his father, Anakin. At that point the prequel trilogy was nothing but rumours.

With the release of the special editions in 1997 I was so happy as I got to see the films I had seen (literally hundreds of times) in the Cinema - the BIG screen! - amazing!

While I appreciated the new effects and some new scenes, I despised the changes made to the Han & Greedo scene as well as the Wampa Cave scene. But was overall quite happy.

Eventually the PT got the go-ahead. I was nervous as to how they could make the characters different from the OT that I grew up with. I saw that Anakin was a kid and realised that Lucas is drawing in the next generation, but hoped it would not be too childish.

Overall I enjoyed TPM, but was seriously disappointed by some of the acting, young Anakin (despite being aware of him before I saw it - he really did not live up to what little potential I had about him) and also of course Jar Jar - who ultimately gave the movie the childish tone that it had. The rest of the movie, for me, was pretty awesome.

With the release of AOTC in 2002 I was hopeful for a better movie. Again, the acting was terrible, it took the entire movie to really get going and the love story was worse than day time soap opera tv.

I was upset that the wonder of the clone wars was pushed tot he end of the movie and most of the movie was wasted on character development they should have fleshed out in TPM. Perhaps they will do better in the 3rd movie.

The opening scene of ROTS in 2005 was amazing - what a space battle! This movie was action packed and was clearly the best of the prequel movies. Although the clone wars ended and Dooku was only in one scene - I felt the clone wars itself (one of my wonders as a child watching Old Ben talk about them) was essentially skipped over - only to be seen years later via the cartoon network.

Like spider-man 3, ROTS just had too much going on in it, for the story to match up with ANH. Again I enjoyed the movie but felt my head spinning - the movie did not take its time and jumped from scene to scene and plot to plot. I didn't feel for the characters like I did for Han, Luke and Leia etc. and Anakin's fall to the darkside just wasn't believable for me.

However, with my personal feelings about the PT aside, Ultimately I love star wars always have and always will. I am not religious in any way, but the Jedi against the corruption of the Dark Side is what religion is made up of and Star Wars is full of moral stories that help teach kids about good v. evil and what is good and what is evil.

The clone wars was also enjoyable (although I did not enjoy the first animated movie, due to Jabba's baby Hutt). The tv show was amazing and fleshed out a lot of issues I had with the PT.

I was skeptical when Disney took over, but gave Rebels a go and enjoyed them. TFA also breathed fresh air into what made the OT great and R1 was the cherry on top.

I look forward to the future movies and how they can continue to show new stories about good and evil.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I was born in 1998 so i was "supposed" to like the prequels, but i thought they were boring as h*ll. I had them on DVD, but i much preferred my old, cr*ppy, taped over, special edition VHS tapes of the OT. They were exciting, comprehensible, and i liked the characters. They weren't filled with potty jokes (ok, the special editions added some), or boring politics, or excessively graphic scenes (like anakin burning alive). Those aspects are fine in seperate, non-star wars films, but when they're all in the same movie thats meant for kids(?), its tonally confusing.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I think Anakin burning alive was meant to be a little horrific at least.

It is meant to illustrate how far he had fallen and where following power, self-gain and the darkside will get you.

I did not think it was too graphic. But, I think the scene igniting his lightsaber to kill little children was a bit much - at least that was left to the imagination though.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Boo wrote: »

It is meant to illustrate how far he had fallen and where following power, self-gain and the darkside will get you.

I did not think it was too graphic. But, I think the scene igniting his lightsaber to kill little children was a bit much - at least that was left to the imagination though.

My point isn't that its graphic, but that its part of a group of movies that has fart jokes and slapstick. Who's the target age group for the prequels? Cause i dont know.
  • Wil
    140 posts Member
    Anakin burning was unsettling for sure, but I would also argue fairly necessary as it fully fleshed out the pain, anger, and torment that his character was supposed to embody. The lightsaber flick before annihilating the world's cutest Jedi was intense lol. Also necessary in that we saw Vader's truly evil side.

@Boo I understand all of your complaints with the prequels, but am glad that you were able to enjoy the great parts regardless. Again, I was pretty young when they came out, so I couldn't distinguish between good and bad acting so well. Though even I could tell the love story was forced. As I mentioned in my blog, the political overtones that bogged down much of the movies escaped me also. I didn't know what an embargo was, but I was pumped that it included an army of droids, brand new ships, ground vehicles, and Darth freaking Maul.

Everyone on these forums is here because they enjoy Star Wars in some capacity. I didn't even know how big of a deal it really was as a kid. I'm thrilled that there is such a large community and now a new generation being introduced as well. It's always a good time to be a Star Wars fan.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Wil wrote: »
    Anakin burning was unsettling for sure, but I would also argue fairly necessary as it fully fleshed out the pain, anger, and torment that his character was supposed to embody. The lightsaber flick before annihilating the world's cutest Jedi was intense lol. Also necessary in that we saw Vader's truly evil side.

Again, its fine if you want to show something like that, but dont market it to little kids. If its not supposed to be a kids movie, dont have cheesy slapstick and fart jokes.
  • I believe that Lucas released the prequel trilogy to bring Star Wars to a new generation, but due to the criticism of the first two movies from adults, the third film was made darker in tone.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I believe that Lucas released the prequel trilogy to bring Star Wars to a new generation, but due to the criticism of the first two movies from adults, the third film was made darker in tone.

I guarantee you that no kid under the age of 14 can describe the plot of The Phantom Menace, especially where the politics are concerned (heck, even i barely understand the plot).
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Also, anakin's character in AOTC is not kid friendly
  • I agree with you, but children could still enjoy the aesthetics and humor in a way that adults could not (such as Lucas's daughters that he in part made the movie for).
  • Boo wrote: »

It was a good meme though, the prequels did bring pretty good memes.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I believe that Lucas released the prequel trilogy to bring Star Wars to a new generation, but due to the criticism of the first two movies from adults, the third film was made darker in tone.

Absolutely.

But I have a little one on the way, and against the cares of my wife, it is important that my future child cherish star wars as much as me.

My wife is concerned about that - claiming star wars to be violent, but I disagree. There is moments of violence, like Luke getting his hand chopped off and Anakin burning alive, but nowadays you don't have to start kids with all that. Rebels and Clone Wars animated cartoons are a great gateway for children to step on the path of star wars. As they get older they will start to enjoy the movies and the more darker movies and plot lines. So I am not concerned in any way.

I do agree with @DatBoi if the story ends up being dark, like E3, then why all the slapstick and fart joke humour - its just confusing to an audience. Unfortunately Lucas was surrounded by "yes people" on production of the PT and perhaps his team should have taken a united stance against certain things that were known or ought to have been known to be dumb.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Wil wrote: »

@Boo I understand all of your complaints with the prequels, but am glad that you were able to enjoy the great parts regardless. Again, I was pretty young when they came out, so I couldn't distinguish between good and bad acting so well. Though even I could tell the love story was forced. As I mentioned in my blog, the political overtones that bogged down much of the movies escaped me also. I didn't know what an embargo was, but I was pumped that it included an army of droids, brand new ships, ground vehicles, and Darth freaking Maul.

Everyone on these forums is here because they enjoy Star Wars in some capacity. I didn't even know how big of a deal it really was as a kid. I'm thrilled that there is such a large community and now a new generation being introduced as well. It's always a good time to be a Star Wars fan.

I agree that the scene where Anakin was cut down and burned was meant to be as it was, for the reasons you say (you said it better than me, lol). It was necessary and I wouldn't change it at all.

I also think that the political scenes (although boring for children) were also necessary. Like I say, the PT rushed its character development and story, but how they illustrated the changes and corruption in the senate that was orchestrated by Palpatine to turn a democratic society into that of galactic tyranny was well done.

Like I say though, the development and fall of individual characters however, was pretty poor and it is frustrating because all the elements are there, it was all just poorly executed.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Getting back on topic - I love star wars as they are out of the box action/sci-fi/fantasy movies that caters to children and adults alike with iconic and memorable characters, ships and weapons (lightsabers). It is colourful, exciting, a great story and also subtly teaches life morals about what is right, wrong, easy and correct.

Like I said earlier - star wars is a huge part of my life, and I hope to share its magic with my children and future grandchildren.
    Getting back on topic - I love star wars as they are out of the box action/sci-fi/fantasy movies that caters to children and adults alike with iconic and memorable characters, ships and weapons (lightsabers). It is colourful, exciting, a great story and also subtly teaches life morals about what is right, wrong, easy and correct.

Like I said earlier - star wars is a huge part of my life, and I hope to share its magic with my children and future grandchildren.

Words to live by :)

Same man, hopefully everyone in my future family will learn to love Star Wars as much as I (and you guys) do.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

Same man, hopefully everyone in my future family will learn to love Star Wars as much as I (and you guys) do.

Disney/Lucasfilm is glad to hear that