Favorite Star Wars Moment

Prev1
There have been many iconic Star Wars moments across the years, from the destruction of the Death Star to Anakin's turn to the dark side, but what are your favorites? My most beloved Star Wars moments would be the duel between Yoda and Sidious at the end of ROTS (as they are my two favorite characters and the way galactic history was written would depend on the outcome), the duel between Fulcrum and Darth Vader in Rebels, and the escape from Cloud City by Leia, Lando, and Chewbacca. Comment your favorites below!

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    The only thing that saves ROTJ from being a bad movie is the scene in the emperor's throne room. That scene is saturated with emotion and drama. The performances, the choreography, and the music make it one of my favorite scenes in all of cinema.

Honorable mentions belong to:

Any scene between han and leia in Empire

Maul tempting Obi Wan to the dark side in Clone Wars

Ahsoka declining anakin's invitation to rejoin the Order
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    The only thing that saves ROTJ from being a bad movie is the scene in the emperor's throne room. That scene is saturated with emotion and drama. The performances, the choreography, and the music make it one of my favorite scenes in all of cinema.

Honorable mentions belong to:

Any scene between han and leia in Empire

Maul tempting Obi Wan to the dark side in Clone Wars

Ahsoka declining anakin's invitation to rejoin the Order

I agree with you, especially on the topic of the throne room battle; it has the best musical score out of any scene in my opinion.
  • Joost
    233 posts Member
    The entire manipulation by Darth Sidious in the prequels and the Clone Wars - also check the comic Dart Maul Son Of Dathomir if you haven't yet

Also I loved how Dooku told Obi-Wan about the Sith controlling the senate

The deaths of both Yoda and Maul and the events around those deaths where also really good in my opinion, so much more to that then you can see
  • I loved how they brought Maul back, the Throne Room fight scene, destruction of the first Death Star, and of course, the HIGH GROUND!!!!!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I am not saying these are my very best, but these 2 scenes I really enjoyed, but were ruined by Lucas when he released the special editions in 1997:

1. Han Shoots Greedo: Han being sick of listening to stupid Greedo waffle on decides to kill him and move on - it was brilliant. Now there is the who shot first question. I guess Lucas thought the original scene was too cold for Han - he was a scoundrel and had a gun pointed at him by a bounty hunter who was gonna turn him into Jabba, what do you expect? Also Han's head "dodging" Greedo blast looks ridiculous too.

2. The Wampa Cave: The original costume for the wampa was terrible. They needed the scene to explain why Mark looked so different from ANH to TESB (which was the result of a car accident). So they shot around the wampa creature and you never really see him. This made the scene chilling and full of suspense - seeing the creature in full view in the special editions completely ruined the scene.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Now the top 3 scenes that gave me shivers the first time I saw them:

1. Vaders reveal to Luke that he is his father, on Bespin.
    2. Yoda walks into the hangar to engage Dooku at the end of AOTC. Before he even ignites his lightsaber - fans have speculated what Yoda would fight like - the suspense leading to that dual almost killed me and I was grinning from ear to ear.
    3. Dual of Fates - Maul v. Kenobi & Jinn at the end of TPM - brilliant, compared to the lightsaber fights of the original trilogy, and I feel this is still one of the top lightsaber fights of all.
  • Boo wrote: »
    Now the top 3 scenes that gave me shivers the first time I saw them:

1. Vaders reveal to Luke that he is his father, on Bespin.
    2. Yoda walks into the hangar to engage Dooku at the end of AOTC. Before he even ignites his lightsaber - fans have speculated what Yoda would fight like - the suspense leading to that dual almost killed me and I was grinning from ear to ear.
    3. Dual of Fates - Maul v. Kenobi & Jinn at the end of TPM - brilliant, compared to the lightsaber fights of the original trilogy, and I feel this is still one of the top lightsaber fights of all.

The fight was awesome, but the MUSIC from that scene immediately popped into my head as I read OP's title. Bummer E1 didn't quite live up to that level of awesomeness for the whole film.
  • Definitely the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of ROTS.
  • That part in ANH when the stormtroopers are chasing Luke and company in the Death Star and one of the stormtroopers bumps his head on the low ceiling/doorway. It's the only reason I watch ANH.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    1. My all time favorite Star Wars moment by far. My jaw dropped for at least 5 minutes in the theater.

2. A close second, because this fight is the definition of epic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

How could I have forgotten about Vader at the end of R1!!!!!

Amazing!

Also Yes - Sidious v. Maul & Savage = excellent!!
    Post edited by Boo on
  • SolariJedi
    138 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    A lot of people rip on The Phantom Menace, and to a degree rightfully so, but one of my favorite battle scenes is between Maul , Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. As a child I watched the original trilogy multiple times on VHS, but when TPM came out, it solidified my love for this universe, the stories, and characters in it. It's hard to express every emotion I had from that time, but I just remember thinking, "wow!" From the acrobatic fighting, to how willing both of them were to go into that fight knowing full well, that what they were facing had not been seen in over a millennia and that they might not come out of it. There's a lot to that film that could have been done differently, and done better, but that last fight scene will always stand out as one of my favorites.
  • Magilla262
    70 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    This one...giphy.gif

• As I am reading through the comments, I am realizing that there are a lot of moments that I had forgotten about :) ; Darth Vader at the end of Rogue One and the carbonite thawing scene were two of my favorites as well.
    When it comes to the duel with Darth Maul, it is a scene that I truly loved, though I feel that the Clone Wars jumped the shark and made the scene less enjoyable when they revealed that Maul was not truly dead.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    When it comes to the duel with Darth Maul, it is a scene that I truly loved, though I feel that the Clone Wars jumped the shark and made the scene less enjoyable when they revealed that Maul was not truly dead.

I completely disagree on your assessment of maul's revival.

What is the first and most important criteria for an effective villain? A connection to the protagonist. Maul had the most potential of any character to be the main villain of the prequels because after killing Qui-Gon, he had that connection with obi wan. Having a character like Maul survive throughout the prequels (instead of introducing more boring villains like grievous and dooku) would:

1) give Obi Wan more of an arc (the prequels should have been his story)
    2) make the three movies more cohesive and continuous (Phantom contributes absolutely nothing to the saga)
    3) allow more time to develop maul as a character (like clone wars was able to do)

In Phantom Menace, Maul has 0 personality or character. "But, DatBoi. Maul is evil" Really? Prove it. Name one evil thing that Maul says or does before he kills Qui-Gon. He gets into two duels with Qui Gon that are not at all set up or relevant to the story, and he stands around looking shady. Even terrible movies have some cheesy scene where their villain's introduction is them killing somebody in cold blood, or robbing a bank, or blowing up a building. What is maul's introduction? he stands in a blue hologram and palpatine says, "this is maul". Wow, I have shivers going down my spine.
  • 98047-Luke-I-Am-Your-Father-Gif-Darth-Vader-Actually-Says-No-Pandawhale.gif
    Hands down, my favorite Star Wars moment. This reveal was epic. Nobody saw it coming. There were no hints at all. In hindsight you can say Old Ben alluded to it, but if you did not already know Vader was Luke's father then you would not catch it. The scene loses all of its impact if you go in knowing the truth. But on release, this moment was huge and has not been matched.
    Pure gold.
    1231949554_i_am_your_father.gif

• DatBoi wrote: »

I completely disagree on your assessment of maul's revival.

What is the first and most important criteria for an effective villain? A connection to the protagonist. Maul had the most potential of any character to be the main villain of the prequels because after killing Qui-Gon, he had that connection with obi wan. Having a character like Maul survive throughout the prequels (instead of introducing more boring villains like grievous and dooku) would:

1) give Obi Wan more of an arc (the prequels should have been his story)
    2) make the three movies more cohesive and continuous (Phantom contributes absolutely nothing to the saga)
    3) allow more time to develop maul as a character (like clone wars was able to do)

In Phantom Menace, Maul has 0 personality or character. "But, DatBoi. Maul is evil" Really? Prove it. Name one evil thing that Maul says or does before he kills Qui-Gon. He gets into two duels with Qui Gon that are not at all set up or relevant to the story, and he stands around looking shady. Even terrible movies have some cheesy scene where their villain's introduction is them killing somebody in cold blood, or robbing a bank, or blowing up a building. What is maul's introduction? he stands in a blue hologram and palpatine says, "this is maul". Wow, I have shivers going down my spine.

One of my main complaints about The Phantom Menace has always been that up until the death of Qui Gon, Maul had no connection to the protagonists and had no character development outside of his connection to the Sith and Trade Federation, as well as his appearance and starship.

I agree that Obi Won's arc could have been portrayed better using Maul, though in TPM, the antagonist died only minutes after killing Qui Gon, and the Clone Wars was released after the prequels, and in my opinion, the resurrection of Maul was unrealistic and uneccessary, as was adding the character of Savage Oppress. I just feel that killing a character only to resurrect them plays with the audience's emotions and misleads the audience in a way that rarely contributes to anything other than viewer ratings.

By the way, I loved your comment about the "intimidating" hologram, because I felt the same way :)
  • Wil
    140 posts Member
    I mostly stopped by to say the Vader scene at the end of R1 if no one had already :blush:

It seems funny as a lifelong fan to have a favorite moment from the recent spin-off film, but it is what it is! Seeing the AT-ATs for the first time is another favorite as well as experiencing the satisfying engine humming and speed of the podracers.

Ooooo just thought of another one! Lol Yoda ambling in using his cane to face Dooku, dropping it, lighting up his little lightsaber, and going bats*** crazy.
  • This:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mE-UNIFJTQU

I know people have mixed feelings about the slave girl outfit, but when she kills him it instantly became the awesome girl outfit.
  • Darth Maul igniting his two blades when he heads off the party on Naboo. That scene, followed by their duel, gets me.

Also, the battle between Vader and Luke on Bespin. Good action with a great reveal.

Tons of great scenes throughout Star Wars, but those to are a bit above to me.
  • Ahsoka vs Vader is easily my favorite lightsaber fight in cannon. Years of buildup, and an amazingly emotional fight.
  • Joost
    233 posts Member
    As I am reading through the comments, I am realizing that there are a lot of moments that I had forgotten about :) ; Darth Vader at the end of Rogue One and the carbonite thawing scene were two of my favorites as well.

I think that the fact that Maul lives in Clone Wars is amazing. His hate for Kenobi was so deep that he managed to survive on the dark side of the force alone. Just like Vader did whenever his suit was broken.
  • When Chaze died at the "end" of Rogue One
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • The_Light_Sider
    208 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Hskull55 wrote: »
    When Chaze died at the "end" of Rogue One

Now if only that could be replicated in the game... :)
    Post edited by The_Light_Sider on
  • Most memorable moment...

Well every scene portrayed above is certainly memorable, all of them.

But my most memorable moment was playing the orginal KOTOR... and entering Korriban for the first time... the scenes, the enviroment, the comments from HK-47... the realization that this game would change the way people saw star wars more than any movie...it covered so much more than what movies did! And i had read as many books as i could get my hands on, yet still that game kept revealing more...

And now almost 2 decades later looking back, i believe KOTOR is the bacta tank that brought the franchise back from near death, indoctrinated countless new souls into the SW universe, set the bar for literally every RPG & MMORPG since and most importantly made me realize that i was not alone in my fanatical desire for all knowledge that was SW related...

Yes KOTOR holds that special title @OP asked for... Korriban in particular...
  • Loose_Lee wrote: »
    Most memorable moment...

But my most memorable moment was playing the orginal KOTOR... and entering Korriban for the first time... the scenes, the enviroment, the comments from HK-47... the realization that this game would change the way people saw star wars more than any movie...it covered so much more than what movies did! And i had read as many books as i could get my hands on, yet still that game kept revealing more...

And now almost 2 decades later looking back, i believe KOTOR is the bacta tank that brought the franchise back from near death, indoctrinated countless new souls into the SW universe, set the bar for literally every RPG & MMORPG since and most importantly made me realize that i was not alone in my fanatical desire for all knowledge that was SW related...

I just started playing KOTOR yesterday on the app store, coincidentally. I hope that I come to love the game as much as you do :)
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Loose_Lee wrote: »
    Most memorable moment...

I played KOTOR for the first time this summer and was very impressed. It combines the world building of the prequels, the likable characters and engaging story from the OT, and the personal, customized feeling of an RPG. The dialogue is sometimes a bit stilted (especially the first one) and the gameplay is usually pretty limited and repetitive, but its still a blast to play.
  • Well the graphics are waaaaaay behind now... but at the time... the graphics, imagery, dialogue, interaction, everything about that game was cutting edge... probably the most ground breaking game ever made.
  • Shadows of the empire on N64 was another AMAZING game that I'll never forget... that boba fett fight... boy was that tough... but it lacked a kickbutt story... sure I'll never forget dash rendar from the game... but outside of the boba fett fight... i dont remember much... KOTOR on the other hand... was like reading a visual SW encyclopedia/holocron as much as playing the game.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Loose_Lee wrote: »
    Well the graphics are waaaaaay behind now... but at the time... the graphics, imagery, dialogue, interaction, everything about that game was cutting edge... probably the most ground breaking game ever made.

I couldn't care less about the "age" of the technology as long as it services the gameplay and the quality is consistent throughout the game. This is why i think Super Mario or the original Sonic have better graphics than most games nowadays.

Also, dialogue doesn't really age that much. Its either good or bad and i thought some more effort could have gone into the writing of KOTOR 1.

But now im highjacking the thread so ill stop ;)