Why Light Side is the perfect decision for TB.

Prev1345
Even tho i prefer sith and empire. and well the DS as a whole. i am so happy that all of these rebels and other characters that we needed (had) to farm for other events are being able to be used. Not to mention the amount of LS toons that are relevant or worth using are about 2 to 3 times more of them

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    yup, it's a blessing (in disguise for some).
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • It seems like they're running out of light side factions to work on so maybe 2018 will be the gear of the DS. I'm hoping for big things from kylo and the knights of Ren.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Dark_Light wrote: »
    It seems like they're running out of light side factions to work on so maybe 2018 will be the gear of the DS. I'm hoping for big things from kylo and the knights of Ren.

Nice Freudian slip.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    One can can only hope. 2017 was the rear of the Dark Side. This message was approved by Dr. Freud.
  • Swordd
    161 posts Member
    There is no reason this had to be one way or the other. They could have arranged the table starting from each side moving towards a final battle in the middle, allowing you to play LS defending Hoth and DS advancing on Hoth. This seems ridiculously obvious, and I am a bit flummoxed that they didn't think of this. So much for "every toon matters."

And I say this as a primarily light-side player who has most of the toons needed for specific missions. The way they set it up works just fine for me, but I'm not at all surprised that so many folks are irritated right now. This is the biggest game content addition since raids were introduced, and to effectively exclude an entire faction is just bizarre and tone-deaf.

• Jinks wrote: »
    One can can only hope. 2017 was the rear of the Dark Side. This message was approved by Dr. Freud.

Yeah because Nihilus and Thrawn are obviously no good.
  • I would've preferred if they were going to do an LS focused TB if wouldn't be Hoth.

Pretty much the only on screen battle in history where the DS won, they could've waited and done Hoth second and made it DS focused.

What TB are we going to have in the future that is DS focused when the best option is already taken.

As mention above not sure why it isn't mixed (though I guess it could be and we just haven't seen the one or two parts of the TB that need them.

In my opinion, Hoth should've either been mixed - some LS battles that need HRS's and such, but also battles that need GV, DV, Snowtrooper, etc. or been strictly DS.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Well Battlefront II you play as a team of imperial/FO soldiers so..... expect them in this game
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    HyperCalm1 wrote: »
    Jinks wrote: »

Yes. You are 100% correct. They are absolutely no good in TB. Unless CG can release the DS variant within this calendar rear then I stand by my original statement.

And before someone posts that it was a thematic choice, explain how the Rogue One team is participating considering their status at the end of the film.

Yes. You are 100% correct. They are absolutely no good in TB. Unless CG can release the DS variant within this calendar rear then I stand by my original statement.

And before someone posts that it was a thematic choice, explain how the Rogue One team is participating considering their status at the end of the film.

They were no good in lightside story mode either. That's what restriction means.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Swordd wrote: »
    There is no reason this had to be one way or the other. They could have arranged the table starting from each side moving towards a final battle in the middle, allowing you to play LS defending Hoth and DS advancing on Hoth. This seems ridiculously obvious, and I am a bit flummoxed that they didn't think of this. So much for "every toon matters."

And I say this as a primarily light-side player who has most of the toons needed for specific missions. The way they set it up works just fine for me, but I'm not at all surprised that so many folks are irritated right now. This is the biggest game content addition since raids were introduced, and to effectively exclude an entire faction is just bizarre and tone-deaf.

We are in the same boat, and I feel the same way. There has been too much light side/Rebel love. I like light side, and I'm sitting pretty well for this, and I understand that the nature of the movies means that there are more named Rebels.
    But the light side tilt is hard to defend.

There are 16 (soon to be 19) more light side toons than dark. Even the B and C list light side factions (like Jawas, and Ewoks) have important uses, good synergy, and special events. While the dark side sports some of the worst factions in the game. (Nightsisters, Seperatists, Bounty Hunters, Tuskans, etc)

And I had the same idea about starting a board from opposite sides, using both, and meeting in the middle. That would have been great. Not trying to steal your thunder with that idea, but as you said it's "ridiculously obvious."

Not trying to be too critical of this game mode yet. It looks like a lot of fun. The rewards look great. I'm excited to get into it. I'm 90% positive looking at Territory Battles. But I hope that this marks the end of Rebel love for a bit, and the beginning of some major dark side reworks, character additions, and at some point a dark side focused Territory Battles map. And that's coming from someone who has been desperate to see Mace get a beastly rework for over a year.
  • it could be argued that all the rebel love we have seen thus far has been geared toward these territory battles..
  • ZephimyrAC wrote: »
    it could be argued that all the rebel love we have seen thus far has been geared toward these territory battles..

That wouldn't be a good argument
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    Riffinator wrote: »
    ZephimyrAC wrote: »
    it could be argued that all the rebel love we have seen thus far has been geared toward these territory battles..

But it would be a true statement which is plenty cause to start some heated arguments :)

There was a lot more content released this year than just TB. If you think nothing good was added for Dark Side in 2017 then it's your loss. Oh, and you can deploy them, you just can't use them in missions. If you have them starred and geared you can contribute with their galactic power. I'm sure a bunch of you will complain about the next TB map that DS focused too. Sheesh, there's always something to complain about... It's a game, if you don't enjoy it you don't have to play.
  • My best are mostly DS as well. So it's kind of a bummer. But even though they won't be manually battling, at least their existence will be contributing to our overall success. It looks like Deployment requires A LOT of GP. So loading up on DS Toons will help.

I know if flipping the switch to make this Hoth TB into Empire centric would be fairly simple. Or changing this to be Scarif, fighting Chaze with mostly Empire-centric Toons.

I'm curious if it's even possible to make TB for Bespin...Empire vs Bespin Guards, DS ships vs Cloud Cars, etc.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    It's true. It is a game. Games are meant to be played. I went out and got some fancy new kit for my matches but was told by the refs at the last minute that my brand is not allowed on the pitch. This is contrary to their misleading guidance in the run up to the matches. Clearly some favoritism here.
  • Riffinator wrote: »

It wouldn't be a good argument because it's a fact.
    It's true. It is a game. Games are meant to be played. I went out and got some fancy new kit for my matches but was told by the refs at the last minute that my brand is not allowed on the pitch. This is contrary to their misleading guidance in the run up to the matches. Clearly some favoritism here.

Well said!!

Says who? For the longest time we had been told we could use our ENTIRE rosters, not just rebels
  • Swordd wrote: »
    There is no reason this had to be one way or the other.
    There's no reason anything has to be anything, sure. But there's plenty of reasons why you should do something, for example making this a light sode event this time.

Light is popular. Like, way more popular. Way, way, way more popular. Star Wars is the story of the Light Side beating up the Dark Side and taking its lunch money. Sure, Dark Side is cool and edgey in a "Zach Snyder makes the best movies so dark and grin" kind of way. But it's the losing side and it's the evil side. Why wouldn't the first Battle be Light-oriented?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Waiting for someone to say that technically we are using our DS guys for the deployment. There's a big difference between using them in this manner and playing with them. This sort of "from a certain point of view" statement would make even Old Ben blush.
    Riffinator wrote: »

Says who? For the longest time we had been told we could use our ENTIRE rosters, not just rebels

Marketing language lol. Sure there will be TB require DS, but not for this Hoth. False advertising :frowning:
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member

There was a lot more content released this year than just TB. If you think nothing good was added for Dark Side in 2017 then it's your loss. Oh, and you can deploy them, you just can't use them in missions. If you have them starred and geared you can contribute with their galactic power. I'm sure a bunch of you will complain about the next TB map that DS focused too. Sheesh, there's always something to complain about... It's a game, if you don't enjoy it you don't have to play.

There was DN and Thrawn... and an Empire rework that was not nearly as great as advertised.

I enjoy the game and will continue to play, while also pointing out things that I perceive as poor game decisions by developers. I can walk and chew gum at the same time.
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    Truth be told there is a good reason to make this a rebel only affair. Dark Side releases sell very well. Light side not so much. Also because Dark Side is slimmer pickings they sell well. Light Side has a broader group of viable toons so a Light Side collector may feel content to stick with what they have. Unless they are prodded/forced to buy. It's a bit telling that you need mostly good guys to unlock Legendary good guys, and you need good guys to unlock Legendary bad guys. But, they are at least following the primary mantra of the films. Use the "Force"
  • Swordd wrote: »
    They could have arranged the table starting from each side moving towards a final battle in the middle, allowing you to play LS defending Hoth and DS advancing on Hoth.

This is a cool concept. Would also be nice to choose light or dark and release a different version of the same TB. That would substantially increase the complexity of development but would have been nice nonetheless.

• BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Or they could have easily just said “you can use all your characters like we said you could” and not made it a Rebel fest. Rebels get bonuses, but use everyone... no extra development needed.
  • BrtStlnd wrote: »
    I enjoy the game and will continue to play, while also pointing out things that I perceive as poor game decisions by developers. I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

As you should. Constructive criticism seems welcome by developers and feedback from the forums has been reflected in the game before.
  • BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Or they could have easily just said “you can use all your characters like we said you could” and not made it a Rebel fest. Rebels get bonuses, but use everyone... no extra development needed.

But then they couldn't sell the rebel faction packs
  • Rogee
    178 posts Member
    I don't know about everyone else... /sarcasm/
    but my first free and unlocked characters were Light Side... the Dark Side characters came a little later.

No need to fret, they will release a Dark Side TB in the future. And for the (I'm guessing/speculating this figure) 25% of the player base that focused on Dark Side, are the ones upset that first TB is LS.

IF YOU were the developer, you would target the largest audience for success initially, i.e. the other 75% of the playerbase that has strong LS roster. Hence it's less impactful to upset 25% instead of the 75%.

Once both LS and DS TB are in full effect this will be a non-issue. And the same for new players who won't have a bias that they expect the game to conform to their imposed character focus. Also, imagine the uproar from the 75% about how the required DS take much longer to farm than most of the LS. Everyone would suffer the less rewards and much longer ramp up time to be prepared for a DS TB.