Members in Texas US

Prev13
All of our members - brothers and sisters in the US in Texas, please be safe. This thing is supposed to be as bad as Katrina.

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Imma buy a raft and a bottle of gin
  • Indeed, Texas you have my blessing, stay safe, prepare for the worse, last I heard it was Category 3. Good luck, and may the force be with you.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Indeed, Texas you have my blessing, stay safe, prepare for the worse, last I heard it was Category 3. Good luck, and may the force be with you.

*Cat 4
  • It could be worse than Katrina. The numbers look really bad.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Indeed, Texas you have my blessing, stay safe, prepare for the worse, last I heard it was Category 3. Good luck, and may the force be with you.

*Cat 4

Then the last I heard of it was Cat. 4
  • UrbanSpacemanKAL
    2450 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Just like in Katrina and Sandy though, the real danger is water. People are afraid of storms and they should be. But most people die from water after the storm.
  • This thing is supposed to hang around and dump rain until next Tuesday or Wednesday. Exactly @UrbanSpacemanKAL , that's the even worse danger at this point.

When TS Debbie hit us in Florida, it was the rain that was the worse. Flooding everywhere and not even counting the tides. My heart goes out to those folks right now.
  • They're showing a flooded assisted living facility where the elderly are sitting in dirty, probably cold water. This is god **** awful.
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    Prayers to Texas. God Bless and keep you safe.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • They're showing a flooded assisted living facility where the elderly are sitting in dirty, probably cold water. This is god **** awful.

Oh my god...that's terrible! And it's still raining and will keep doing so for a while.

• Yeah, I saw a picture of a senior center in Texas flooded on my local news station, they were in wheelchairs and couches, tables were swallowed with water, I almost cried.
  • Yeah, I saw a picture of a senior center in Texas flooded on my local news station, they were in wheelchairs and couches, tables were swallowed with water, I almost cried.

Adult protective services will make sure that that place doesnt exist anymore. That is all the decision of the staff not to move them knowing what was coming.
    Two things Texas doesnt mess around with is child and elderly abuse. Since this has gotten national attention i can see the full rath coming down on them.
  • To be fair, I don't know this was staff's fault. This facility may not have been in the path of the storm. A lot of the people endangered by the water today we're never instructed to leave because the storm wasn't a threat to them.

Predicting storm path is (relatively) easy compared to predicting storm surge levels, rain amount and where exactly water will go.

In Katrina, There were buses ready to get people out of the city in case things went bad. Unfortunately, when the levees failed those buses ended up underwater.
  • Did the mayor even give an evacuation warning?
  • @Admiral_Wh1skers I want to say he did, but there were many who decided to stay and wait it out. I could be wrong.

I know down here, if you have a mandatory evac warning and you don't heed it, they make it crystal clear that they won't be able to reduce you.

the administrator of the the facility, to err on the side of caution, should have moved those residents. If the senior center was anywhere near a body of water, canal, etc. those poor people should have been moved. Hopefully they'll be ok.
  • @Admiral_Wh1skers I want to say he did, but there were many who decided to stay and wait it out. I could be wrong.

I know down here, if you have a mandatory evac warning and you don't heed it, they make it crystal clear that they won't be able to reduce you.

the administrator of the the facility, to err on the side of caution, should have moved those residents. If the senior center was anywhere near a body of water, canal, etc. those poor people should have been moved. Hopefully they'll be ok.

Hopefully they will, I feel bad for them, it looks so bad, the children will be traumatized.
  • Yes, the mayor did give evacuation notice. Not to flame this thread, but the reason I know he did is because he made it clear that if you refuse to leave, write your social security number on your arm in case emergency services needed to identify you.
  • A levee in South Houston has failed. Many people were issued evacuation orders, but the most people you are seeing being rescued now we're not told to leave before the initial storm or immediate aftermath.

I say immediate because this started Friday. This is now the fifth day of rain and rivers have not reached their peak for today. We shouldn't assume everyone trapped now is someone who stubbornly stayed.

Many were told they'd be OK, 'cause people thought they would be.
  • ^ I agree. I was referring to rockport before the hurricane hit. Houston certainly was not ready or well informed. I should have been more clear in my first statement.
  • UrbanSpacemanKAL
    2450 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    No prob, I got ya. Telling people to write their names & socials on their arms is ominous. The are bluntly saying they expect to find your corpse if you stay.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Did the mayor even give an evacuation warning?

No

He said it would be to crazy with 6.1million people
    Not voluntary or mandatory
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Supercat wrote: »

No

That's another snag in these things. No matter how careful you are, if you tried to evacuate 6 million people you will statistically kill a certain percentage of them. It's not pretty, but it's the math of the situation.
  • Supercat wrote: »

No

That's another snag in these things. No matter how careful you are, if you tried to evacuate 6 million people you will statistically kill a certain percentage of them. It's not pretty, but it's the math of the situation.

Yeah, that's life.
  • You guys see how much JJ Watt raised! 14 million to help out the victims of the storm. That's amazingly bad ****.
  • DarthVengeance
    83 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    When I was in FLA for Hurricane Andrew ('92) it took TWO WEEKS for the Government to notice us and start thinking about helping. I really hope they are a lot quicker for Texas. Thoughts and prayers go out to each and every one there.
  • Trump and someone else donated 1 million to Houston
  • @DarthVengeance I remember that all too well. I live in west/central florida and we felt it way up here.

Went down to the keys for a fishing trip with the family and Homestead looked like a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Now erma is on it way and potentially, the entire gulf coast could be in its bullseye. If it cue balls into the Tampa Bay Area, I'm eff'd.
  • DarthVengeance
    83 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    @DarthVengeance I remember that all too well. I live in west/central florida and we felt it way up here.

Went down to the keys for a fishing trip with the family and Homestead looked like a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Now erma is on it way and potentially, the entire gulf coast could be in its bullseye. If it cue balls into the Tampa Bay Area, I'm eff'd.

Yeah, Hell hath no fury like Mother nature. I was in North Miami. First Military leader to visit and survey the damage said "It looks like someone dropped the bomb.." I will never, forget the sound the hurricane made. Ever.

Be safe, hope it passes you by.