Lord Maul

I know I have said this before, but I just have to sing the praises of this Sith once more.

Yes, we all know how squishy he can be, and he is SLOW, but he has come through for me in a big way over the last several Arena battles.

Mine is 4*, Gear VII, Level 62, with all skills at least level 5. Over my last six arena battles (between ranks 214 and 116), he has always been the one to save my bacon. I run QGJ as lead, and Maul almost always gets called for an assist on the first turn. If that's on a Jedi, I almost always get a kill, which can start a run of one-shot kills if there are any other Jedi.

The last three battles have been tough (especially the Hk-47 led Droid team with Poggle), but invariably Maul has been one of the last two standing for my team. With his turn meter fill on killing blows, and now with his life steal working, he has become my superstar. Even Sid's heal immunity doesn't stop him, because he can steal a ton of life back with his AOE, especially against Jedi teams.

If they ever make him farmable I know he's going to be even better.

That is all.

Replies

• Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    I keep saying it. Maul is the superior burst-damage toon in this game. Just needs to be put to good use. Just point him at whatever you want killed, and he delivers. ^^
  • Maul is fun that is a fact, if you are playing this game for fun it's allright to run maul in arena then.

If you want to be competitive in arena then you can better swap him with someone else, especially at 4*.
    As you said he is squishy AND slow. Especially after speed changes, everyone in the enemy team will go before Maul, so he will never get a turn. Before you could maybe protect him behind Poe, but now it's even harder to run with maul, he has just no chance.

Mine is 7* max gear/abilities and I use him only in GW for the early easy battles.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Well, there are other very squishy toons out there. Rey, Sid and Dooku only have a realistic chance to get off one attack each due to their speed. Many still believe those characters are very viable. Maybe not Sid so much...

Still, with the help of taunting and turn meter manipulation, Maul can be put to very good use.
  • Nonemo wrote: »
    Still, with the help of taunting and turn meter manipulation, Maul can be put to very good use.

If Maul can survive till Poe taunt then allright, but I don't thing than will happen often. GS / Leia will OS him.

Team arround Maul ? what do you thing about Phasma (L), Poe Maul Poggle ? Last slot Kylo/Daka/Lando ? Or this : Sid (L) Poe Maul Poggle Old Ben ?

• I believe the team you're really looking for is Phasma (L), GS, QGJ, FOO, and Maul.
  • Dakkon88 wrote: »
    I believe the team you're really looking for is Phasma (L), GS, QGJ, FOO, and Maul.

So in your opinion Maul doesn't need protection from Poe's taunt ?
  • Weyfghbvhfcfynnbjhiujjij
  • GS gets to roll against Poe, so you could one hit ko Poe first, or I guess if you're that worried, sub in old daka instead of FOO.
  • Mauls is hella fun to use.....if your low level/new players it's easy to add (waste resources ) on maul, cause he make you better (if u were able to pull him early on from crono or bronze)....but as you get further into the game you'll realize maul becomes less and less useful. ...if you can hide h behind poe/han it'll even prolong the illusion or maul being sustainable in pvp. (For top tier playing) he isnt...he's a quik kill n you can pick him off 2nd if you have a high fast dps squad, which most ppl run.

So my 7* maul has become a fodder toon, that when things go right, kill a few toon before he's knocked out. If your a ptp , gear n lv with no worries.... if your ftp be weary of your resources, cause he'll quickly be left behind for toon that'll make more since for your pvp n gw teams....
  • If Maul survive into mid battle, he's very viable. The +20% EVA buff is noticeable, and with health steal on every hit he just grows stronger as the fight continues.
  • Like I said, I only have him at 4* but I try to keep his level and gear high, and he survives way more arena fights than I would have expected. I know that will change once I break into the top 100 or so.
  • Exactly, as long as you know what he can do on the long run, enjoy him.
    ..cause yes he's hella fun ...he's just a defensive pvp liability
  • Poney
    42 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Btw, his life steal would have been noticeable if he didn't get one shoot.
  • He's very good in GW though since he auto heals by the end of the fights.
  • He needs to have higher speed. It doesn't make sense.
  • If he is high star, I'd think Maul could be viable behind QGJ/Poe/Ben, probably with GS or another fast cannon.
  • brinau wrote: »
    He needs to have higher speed. It doesn't make sense.

Either that or at least 13000 health like the first order pilot who can oneshot everyone,not just jedi.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    First Order Pilot has ~10,500 HP now after the update. Maul has ~8,900.
    Well, there are other very squishy toons out there. Rey, Sid and Dooku only have a realistic chance to get off one attack each due to their speed. Many still believe those characters are very viable. Maybe not Sid so much...

Maul is way too slow. Some toons will still go before him even with poe's taunt. He can also be one-shot too.

@OP enjoy maul while he lasts.Once your shard starts getting to 70 a 4* maul is no longer relevant.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    I really don't understand why people love and recommend Rey but think Maul is "too squishy". Both toons drop at the bat of a butterfly wing. Is it all about that little extra speed? There are ways to work around that - turn meter manipulation, calling in assists etc. Don't people strategize?
    I really don't understand why people love and recommend Rey but think Maul is "too squishy". Both toons drop at the bat of a butterfly wing. Is it all about that little extra speed? There are ways to work around that - turn meter manipulation, calling in assists etc. Don't people strategize?

The combo of speed and foresight make Rey very likely to attack, Maul is usually dead before ever attacking. It's basically that simple. I could see him working in an assist group perhaps, but I'm not sure it would compare to a power group built around Rey.
  • Rey doesn't receive foresight until she's already used her power attack AND attacked once more. If ppl say Maul never get in a strike, I'll have to say that Rey too should count as defeated long before Foresight comes into play.

The only real factor that clearly separates them is speed in my opinion. Rey is very fast. But she'll only realistically get one attack. So it's basically a trade-off. Provided she does kill an enemy on her one attack.

Maul, by comparison, can kill several toons in one go, and severely cripple the rest of the team with his AOE.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Nonemo wrote: »

Rey has 23% offense as long as she doesn't have any negative effects.
    Rey has the highest special damage stat in the game at 6876
    Rey has the 4th highest basic damage stat at 4010.
    Rey has the 10th highest physical critical rate at 468
    Rey has flurry of blows which does a ton of damage with her multi-hits
    Rey has leverage which does great damage and gives her foresight(100% evasion for 1 hit) which lasts for two turns or until she gets hit once.if the targetted toon is not dead, you can probably follow up with another toon. The combination of sid's aoe and dot followed by rey's leverage might make it possible to kill a dps toon on the first turn as well.or yoda's battle meditation followed by flurry of blows.

Rey has 143 speed, which is one more than poe. This allows her to take out a toon right off the bat before most turn manipulators come into play, with the exception of yoda and an ackbar-led stormtrooper han(ackbar's speed leadership seems bugged now,which means only yoda for now).Poe, phasma,first order officer,stormtrooper han will all take their turns after rey.

The gameplan for turn manipulators is to last until they get their turn.Once they get their turn, they will probably start the second round first (e.g han+phasma). However this strategy relies on having their dps toons survive the first round, which might not be so if rey,gs,qgj and others manage to get 2 or more dps toons)

Post edited by Zekex on
  • The speed difference is huge between them. Rey is the 8th fastest character in the game at 143, while Maul is the 5th slowest with 94 speed. That's a difference of almost 50! By the time Rey is ready for her third attack, Maul is only almost ready for his 2nd.

Lets assume both are one-shot, so the 3rd turn might not even come into play. Rey also has a little over 1k more health, which might mean the difference between just dying and barely surviving, and she has a 40% chance to gain foresight on her basic. Furthermore, if there's another squishy DPS or high priority target in the team, the opponent has to choose one and get wrecked by the other. In Maul's case (at least in this fast meta), you can just kill the other DPS first and Maul after because he almost literally goes after everyone else. (Let's forget for a second that Maul also does less damage than Rey against non-Jedi)

I like Maul quite a bit, and think that he can be very good in the right comp, but comparing them both only on their squishyness doesn't work. I think the argument isn't that Maul is too squishy, he's too slow to be this squishy. For his role as one of the best mop-up characters (like his brother) it's fine to be on the slow side, just like Ventress' kit doesn't want her to be the fastest character, but because of his los health he often dies before he can mop up.
    Dutch Trade Alliance
    I really don't understand why people love and recommend Rey but think Maul is "too squishy".

Rey could gain foresight with her basic(40 percent) and one of her special attacks. And is very fast.
    So she get at least a chance to deal some damage before dying.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Plenty of good points made for the case of Rey. I'll concede. ^^
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Dakkon88 wrote: »
    GS gets to roll against Poe, so you could one hit ko Poe first, or I guess if you're that worried, sub in old daka instead of FOO.

GS doesn't roll against POE. GS has 149 speed.

He can slam and enemy Maul or Rey very easily.

GS>Rey