Any ideas when we are going to move away from Speed/Damagers?

Like... I'm so bored with the teams it's the same everywhere. I thought GW would be different, but it's made up of arena teams too.

Seriously, is there ONE SLOW UNIT that people use and is viable in arena and GW?

Beyond Finn I'm at a loss.

I WANT DIVERSITY is that too much to ask for? I tried REALLY hard and failed. I'm still sporting Finn lead, I tried other units in my arena teams, but it just does not cut it to compete with people.

Yes, another whining thread. Is there any sort of way we could move away from having this trend where all units are about speeds and high damage and multi attacks/assist all so early in the round?
ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE

Replies

• moongod
    298 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    FOTP still trucks in a speed/assist setup. B)

Nvm I didn't read your last paragraph. :|
  • Options
    Who else is on your team? You can't just have some motley collection of dudes and hope to compete, you gotta have people that synergise well.
  • Options
    I had Finn lead, Poe, Rey, Lumi, Sid. Tried in Res Pilot instead of Lumi or Sid, not as great despite synergy. I insist on using a "SLOW" unit in my team, he packs a punch.

What I'm saying is: I'm fed up with fighting the same stuff in arena AND gw, also made up of arena teams.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    I agree. It's really annoying lol
  • Options
    Yeah I know what you mean, everybody uses the same people.

Anyways I'd get rid of Sid. He's fast and evades well vs Jedi but that it. His attacks aren't very strong unless immunity drops and his health is fairly weak.

I'd give resistance pilot another shot. He's pretty easy to farm in gw shipments. I don't use him, but he's supposed to hit like a truck and evade well. Expose will come in super clutch when it falls and so does foresight which he both has. Using him will give you a team that has three guys that can expose enemies (Poe, Finn, and pilot) and two that will evade with foresight (Rey and pilot). That's tough to beat.

Also, luminara is the kind of character that's good on any team so keep her. She has high health, and hits well. Not to mention I think she has the best heal in the game once upgraded to level 6 which means I have to kill Rey in one turn or things will get real bad for me. Seeing that team would scare me.

Another route to go would be with geomosian soldier. He doesn't synergise with what you have, but he hits as hard as anybody and unlike other glass cannons he actually has good health when you're investing in him. If don't attack him first, his bonus attacks will tear you apart. If you don't attack him first, you're vulnerable to Rey, who has low health but will evade your attack when foresight comes on, and has a special that can one hit destroy most of the heavy hitters in the game.

Either way good luck!
  • Options
    Fives/Kylo/Savage
  • Options
    I think making a strategy with Dooku Lead/Ashoka/Luminara and other chars with evasion/resistance .. and you can make it with slow chars.. Jedi teams are pretty slow if QGJ is not used as Lead.. and they resist well in Arena.. hard to kill some body when he's healed in every turn
    Follow on twitter, Subscribe to my channel , 10$ free giveaway here
  • Options
    @Tuftedpaper85

the problem I had replacing Sid with Res Pilot were as follows:

1) I lose a fast unit (Res Pilot speed = 115, slower than Poe... see where I am going)
    2) I lose the only AOE I had, which is useful against... guess what, Poe team (i.e. kill the weakened Sid or FOTP or whats not I was unable to kill in round 1, and now protected with a taunt).

Res Pilot is unprotected until he can fire his special attack, and maybe get Foresight from it. Until then, he is like IG88 or IG86 or FOTP, a sitting duck to be eating straight up by another Sid or Dooku, immediately followed by QGJ, Geo, Phasma multi proc/assist attacks.

Technically, I should replace Poe (now weak tks to more nerfs than announced) by Res Pilot. Or replace Finn with Res Pilot.

BUT (see where I'm going again) - I WANT to use slow units and make it work.

The current "meta" (I hate this word btw) is speed assists.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    How is ashoka btw? I've a baby one. Read mostly that she was a squishie. Anyone has any success with her? She's never been a threat the rare times ive seen her in GW, so I wonder what her potential is.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    @Fantazy

Interesting...I can see why Poe would give you trouble. I still think sid's a waste in your lineup. If you're looking to counter Poe, mace windu or qui gon are both capable of removing taunts. Windu is slow, which would suit your plans, but he also has a a lot of health and he's also become a lot better since the update now that he can expose. Not to mention he's easier to farm with a battle in the cantina arena.

I would keep Poe. Rey is your best attacker, but she's also the easiest to kill so it's imperative for you to protect her. She's a one shot kill in the speed assist meta, two if she has foresight on so you need someone to taunt and Poe is the best at that.

If you're looking to counter speed you gotta go with characters that'll stun, remove turn meter, and evade. I'm thinking of a combo of dooku, asohka, old daka, eeth koth, and yoda or chewie with either asohka or dooku as lead. It's not the team you have, but the way to counter speed to make sure the other team can't turn, or that when they do turn they miss. Use dooku, daka, and koth to stun, yoda or chewie to remove their turn meter, and asohka as a good support attacker.

Hope this helps.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    pay2win wrote: »
    Fives/Kylo/Savage
    Plus Barris (L) and Tusken Raider
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Fanta, I use tankier heroes quite a bit vs. these speed / damage teams. I find it most effective to combine multiple tanky AOEs - Kylo / Phasma are great. Then Sid as lead will get his hit off because he's fast. Additional AOE options for the 4th aoe slot:

Snowtrooper
    HK 47
    JKAnakin

(others could be used too, this is just more what I'm familiar with - A starred Vader would be great - I think Boba could be a good option too)

Now, you can go 5x AOE if you have 5 of the above built, but you could also mix in any strong 5th hero - adding in high damage / assist like GS, Poggle for O up, or Old Ben (chrome only, but good 5th here).

I've just started testing Barriss combinations - Barriss leader, Tusken Raider, Kylo, Phasma, and Snowtrooper...not quite as successful in limited tests, but I need to think about the optimal config with her as a leader a bit more.

You just need to look at the complete opposite of the spectrum for health in constructing your entire team. A mixed / balanced team of some speed, some tanks, and some guys in the middle (Lumi for example) will get blown away. You have to fight one extreme with the other. These guys won't be great in a D slot however. I still find the fast / damage squads to be best in the D slot.

• Options
    Ill put back res pilot instead of Sid today. Will see how far I drop in arena vs Sid being there :pensive:

I don't have daka, my dooku is a work in progress (cantina/gear). Honestly though, Daka and Dooku are also "everywhere" and I'd be rather farming something hardly anyone uses in arena to be ... I dunno. creative?? original? have the element of surprise?... I'll farm Mace once I get Dooku to 6* (also almost-mandatory in GW sadly). I want to make a team people go "oh hey I havent fought that before" - which is what I'm looking for, sadly, it's hard to pick a team since they've changed arena and I've got 3-4 teams to choose from, and no choice in gw match-ups (I'd love them to offer 3 choices on each node, how about that?)

I'd honestly like the game to have diversity. I would've lived without Sid and Lumi if they were not so essential to surviving and winning GW as a whole.

I also don't understand units like Geo Soldier, when QGJ exists. Sure they made some sort of "cheap version of X" units, but has no one realised the combination of almost-identical skills is what makes stuff "OP".

btw Poggle on top of those high damager team is the cherry on top of my fed-up sunday (especially in GW).
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you want to use a team that is not ussualy seen, I have a couple of suggestions that I want to try, but I don't have the resources to do. Some are crazy ideas, some might work.

Use a team where the enemy doesn't want to attack anyone. Fives (Counter), Kylo (retaliation, renew cooldowns and extra damage if wounded), Savage (extra damage if woundd and turn metter), Old Ben (tanky, buff everyone if dies), Leia (who goes stealth and can't be attacked, and is the main damage dealer). You could use HK47 and Boba (two self-ressurrecters) instead of Old Ben and Leia for a more farmable team.

Who do I attack? Anakin, Snowtrooper, Assajj gain buffs when someone dies, and gain turn meter and interrupt normal flow. They also have AOE. Pair them with Daka and Ewok Elder for resurrection fun. Rex (L) makes all team gain TM when someone is crit (a guaranteed thing in arena). Stormtrooper and Stormtrooper Han give everybody TM when hurt duing a Taunt (and are guaranteed to die if they taunt)

Evasion up!. Dooku as Leader gives evasion, and offfense up when evading. Yoda, Rey, Offensive Pilot gain foresight.Yoda can give foresight to everybody. Sid has huge jedi dodge ratio even before Dooku's buff. Luminara gains Evade up when attacking. Greedo gains Evade up when he shoots

The anti-taunt. Force people to attack non-taunting tanks, making everybody else non-availiable. Nightsister Acolyte, Nute gunray, Leia or Datcha have stealth. So does Teebo, and Ewok Scout/elder if paired with teebo. Pick 3 of them, and pair them with Fives and First Order Storm Trooper. Make the enemy to attack your counterattacking, slowing tanks

Exposing party! Use Resistance Trooper turn meter gain on expose to gain an absurd amount of actions, with Poe, Finn, Resistance Pilot and Mace Windu. Windu also gain TM when attacking exposed units, so double the profit!

Or go with one of the less used factions, like Rebels, or Scoundrels, and see how far you can go. Rebels have pretty good sinergy, Ackbar is awesome and they can make Leia, Hoth REbel scout, Luke and Han Solo go before Ackbar, who can then pass a turn to make one of them act again. Hoth Rebel Scout and Han solo can give turn meter to everybody, Leia is fastest woman alive, and with Leia Stealth and Han's taunt you have something there. Consider adding Barris instead of one of the rebels to keep Han alive.

There are a lot of unused combos and sinergies in the game. Some are difficult to farm, some are just not evident, or require you to farm people beyond the "usual suspects". But if you want to try, there are things to do in the game. Pick one, and stick to the plan, and have fun. Last part is mandatory, actually.

• Options
    Sadly:

Expose is hard to get, even Res Pilot doesn't proc it reliably with his special.

I heard Rebels lacked humpf and damage despite their synergy.

Honestly I'm working on ewoks, which I never thought I would do. Teebo actually saved my sorry behind three times with a 75% wounded starting team. Strategy this time, more than pure luck.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    Teebo as a GW savior is a good idea.

I don't think Rebels lack damage. Luke is not a bad damage dealer, Leia is a one-shot-wonder, and Hoth Rebel Scout also hit hard. They are not as hard-hitting as QGJ, GS and Rey, but nobody is. If the entry barrier is that, your only viable toons are QGJ, GS and Rey.
    Luke does 5000 base damage with his special, Hoth Rebel Scout does 4500, and both can stun. The real roadblock is that Leia is behind the pay-wall. If she becomes farmable in a future, like QGJ, I'd go for that team.
  • Options
    Yeah I mean characters like dooku, daka, Poe, etc are used a lot for reason because they're easy to farm and manage to be decent on pretty much any team you'll put them on. If you want to beat those teams you gotta create either a weird hybrid with one or two of them or do some critical thinking outside the box and spend time getting guys who might be harder to farm.

Think of the game as having three bank accounts: speed, hp, and damage output. Typical characters will be either great at one but weak in the other two or very good at two but weak in the third. You'll rarely find characters who will be very good at all three, so rare I'd say you'll only find two: Poe and geonosian soldier. I noticed a lot of people on here complaining about Poe being too good but frankly geo is the only character that scares me when I see him on the other team. I can deal with a taunt that I can get rid of in one turn that I won't see again cause the cooldown's too slow but i can't deal with a swarm coming every other turn in between a basic attack that grants offense up coming from a guy who I need at minimum three basic attacks to kill and who's also pretty fast.

As far as the three go, speed is the meta because speed is the most reliable. Assuming the other two are equal, if I attack 1.5x more than you do I will win the match 100%. It just comes down to a factor of me hitting you more. However, if my speed and damage output are equal to yours but my team has 1.5x more hp, I may only win 80% of the time because you may get lucky with more dodges and critical hits. If you want to beat a faster team you need to build a team that will have more health than them, slow them down, and hit harder than them and you need to have at least two of the three of those. The way to get this is to understand how the game actually works.

Every single function in this game seeks to either increase those three bank accounts for your team or decrease it for the other. Evasion and heal both function to increase your team's overall hp while immunity block decrease the hp for the other team. Offense up increases the damage output for your team while defense up decreases the damage output for the other. Lastly, stuns, speed down, and counter attacking all work to decrease the speed advantage of the other team. As far as this stuff goes, there's some crazy ways to increase these stats that most people don't look at.

For an example, I'll use asohka tano who I think is the most underrated character in the game. I've had her on my team since day 2 and I've seen her crit as much as 5k before; however, most people see her slow speed and low base hp and assume she's not viable. What they don't look at is her unique ability, high hp steal, and high evade. So assume her asohka has base hp of 6500. Her unique ability grants her 9% hp per living ally which right off the bat puts her around 9000 hp at the beginning of the match, not too shabby. Now she attacks twice and averages ~1000 hp gained during the attacks which puts her hp for the match at 11000. Someone on the other team dies and she get evasion up. Now dooku attacks her twice and misses. Assuming he would have dealt 1500 dp per attack you can now add 3000 hp to her total level putting her at 14000. All that is just on her own. Now imagine you team her up with qui gon and get solider and she gets two assists out of it, averages another 1000 hp steal per assist. That puts her at 16000 hp. Also imagine you have jc and luminara to heal her another 4000 hp when she gets damaged. That's 20000 hp for asohka. Thanks to some critical thinking I give you a character who has the hp level of a barris offee while dealing damage like a true attacker that no one else uses cause they don't think she's viable.

If want to do this well, you got to do some critical thinking to figure out how to maximize the hp level of your team while slowing down the other team. I suggested dooku earlier cause even though he's the fastest in the game, there's also no one who's better at negating the other team's speed with his counter attacking and stun chances. His evade ability as a leader allows you to maximize your own team's hp level through evading. If you don't want him, here is another outside of the box recommendation that might take you three months to get viable but will challenge the current meta with characters no one else uses:
    Barris offee (healing)
    Made windu (decent hp, taunt removal to counter Poe)
    Eeth koth (stun)
    Fives (high hp, counter attack, inflict speed down)
    First order storm trooper (high hp counter attack chance, inflict speed down)

Use barris as your leader to max your jedis health while passively healing everyone. There's a lot of other different stuff you could do, like throwing the two tuskens in there instead of the Jedi. It all depends on what you prefer, just be sure to think outside the box to do it.