Upgrading to 7* and GW

Hey,

I heard about it but I have never believed it. After upgrading your second character to 7* GW starts being unbeatable. I had just upgraded my Sid to 7* and GW started being impossible to win. I got stuck on 7th fight when I have to fight guy on a 69th lvl, with 8th gear on all five characters and all of them 6* or 7*.
I got 61 lvl, 7th gear on 5 characters and 7* on sid and lumi and 4* on every other I use.
I have been beating GalacticWar EVERYTIME to this point.

TL;DR
do NOT upgrade your 2nd character to 7* if you want to be winning GW. I think that's a matchmaking bug.

Replies

• Options
    my huge gap occurred when I upgraded my 4th unit to 7*
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    It's a baseless theory.

I had a terrible time of it a few weeks back, facing maxed 7* teams at encounters 5,6 and.7 but for some random reason last week has been a breeze. At the time I was having a problem I had one 7* toon, now I have 4 and it has gotten a lot easier.

The matchmaking is wretched, that's certain, but I have seen nothing to backup this theory that it's based on the number of 7* toons you have.
  • Options
    Actually once I got to 7* on all toons I've started beating it every day. *shrugs*
  • Options
    Top 5 toons and Arena rank. That's the rumor. So yes, every 7* toon you get, the harder GW will become.
  • Options
    Yeah noticed it when I upgraded my 4th to 7*
  • Options
    Definitely a baseless theory, GW is easier with higher star/level heroes IMO.
  • Options
    Many toons 7*,arena rank #1 63/72 days saw me fighting most gw matches to be walks in the park, literally over 10 levels lower, simple fights were the majority of my matches, until the patch occurred recently.

Still get levels below 60 but now most matches are of similar power /levels /etc, I think you just happened to have gotten 7* when the patch has made things harder for us with 7* + various levels / power variables that make gw stronger to fight from their algorithm. It's not just one thing, a few variables are involved, this is highlighted from seeing many anecdotal reports.
  • Options
    Three 7*s, and it has only gotten easier lately. Rounds 7-10 can sometimes be problematic, but nothing that keeps me from completing.

I should have my forth 7* tomorrow, so we will see if things change.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    I don't know why people label it as "baseless" theory. It is based on what a Dev said in Reddit, that the collective squad power of the 5 strongest guys in your squad was used to find the rivals.

Maybe that dev is wrong, r maybe there are other factors that weigth more, but the theory is not "baseless". It's based on info delivered by a dev
  • Options
    Triqui wrote: »
    I don't know why people label it as "baseless" theory. It is based on what a Dev said in Reddit, that the collective squad power of the 5 strongest guys in your squad was used to find the rivals.

Maybe that dev is wrong, r maybe there are other factors that weigth more, but the theory is not "baseless". It's based on info delivered by a dev

He actually said it's based on highest arena rank, collective power of top 5 and "other things" and iirc, which can mean anything really if "other things" was mentioned, can't be bothered checking atm.
  • Options
    i think the fact is they alter how GW works on a daily basis. there is no visible pattern to team selection. i was getting wrecked by high level teams when i had 2 7* characters and hovered at 100 in arena. I now have 4 7* characters and just took 1st in arena and have much easier GW matches than i did 2 weeks ago. I can't even begin to make sense of it.
  • Options
    Wazlinski wrote: »
    Triqui wrote: »

He actually said it's based on highest arena rank, collective power of top 5 and "other things" and iirc, which can mean anything really if "other things" was mentioned, can't be bothered checking atm.

He also mentioned your server, and "some math throw in".

I agree that the weight of your stars might or might not be important (and in fact, it might be less important than, say, gear). But it is not baseless, it's not like those theories people pull from their own behinds. The Dev might be misleading, or wrong (they were about how speed was working pre-patch), but the theory has a founding base
  • Options
    I think I am going to acquire 100 shards for my arena team heroes and sit on them for a week or two, and compare GW opponents before/after promoting them. It took me two hours of maddening retreats last night to beat GW, and the simple fact that the middle nodes seem to be the hardest makes me VERY hesitant to 7* my heroes and sabotage my GW efficacy. As long as I am getting 800 arena tokens per day I am not that hasty to max my A team *s and a couple need more gear anyhow.
  • Options
    i think the fact is they alter how GW works on a daily basis. there is no visible pattern to team selection. i was getting wrecked by high level teams when i had 2 7* characters and hovered at 100 in arena. I now have 4 7* characters and just took 1st in arena and have much easier GW matches than i did 2 weeks ago. I can't even begin to make sense of it.
    If they pull the rivals from, say, a pool of active players in that moment, the timezone you play (and the time of the day you play) may influence too. And even if you always play at the same hours, things like national holidays in other countries might affect too.

(this is a baseless theory, lol. Just some wild hypothesis)
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    VaderJK12 wrote: »
    Top 5 toons and Arena rank. That's the rumor. So yes, every 7* toon you get, the harder GW will become.

Made up info like this being presented as fact is why so many ppl dont have a clue whats going on.
    You contradict yourself in your statement.
    Is it your top 5 or the more 7* the garder that the game is considering in your half baked theory?????????
  • Options
    Abyss wrote: »
    VaderJK12 wrote: »

Made up info like this being presented as fact is why so many ppl dont have a clue whats going on.
    You contradict yourself in your statement.
    Is it your top 5 or the more 7* the garder that the game is considering in your half baked theory?????????

This goes for people without 5 7* heroes. So if you have 1 7* and you get your second one your top 5 team power will go up right? Nothing baseless about it.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My GW team is 7* g8 Lumi(L), 7* g7 Phasma, 6* g7 Sid, 4* g8 Dooku, 4* g7 JC. All are lvl70. Today I had to use the retreat function for the first time in the past 2 weeks due to a lucky Maul/QGJ combo killing my JC. I'm usually doing GW around 1 am, so if time of day has anything to do with it, then maybe thats why I walk through it every time. I don't even have a "B team" anymore. First couple battles are usually mid-40s. 4-6 are usually in their 50's. 7-9 sometimes get as high as 63. 10 is hardest at around 65. The last 2 always ramp DOWN in difficulty, like down to 58ish, then 54ish.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't think it has much to do with your own toons.
  • fasterthanyous
    246 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I used to lose GW all the time at lower levels. I would have 5* and 6* toons against 7*. Now I have 5 7* , 2 6*, 2 5* all geared nicely. I also have some 4* and 5* not fully geared, but with some gear and ability levels at 3 (no purple ability mats). I routinely throw squads in to die then mop up with my higher starred toons. Now, for some reason, I almost never face 7* toons. Today was ridiculously easy, I think I saw two 7* toons across the whole war. I'm lvl 70 and I was fighting level 55 teams to start. More power is better. A deep bench is even better. I ran with a B squad until the 5th battle today. 6* Asajj, 6* Talia, 7* Poe, 5* NS Acolyte, 5* Finn. My A squad is 7* Phasma lead, 7* Kylo, 7* Sid, 7* JC, 5* Bariss (farming). I don't have Lumi, but if I did, she would replace JC in that setup.

Edit. I'm also top 10 Arena for last 2 weeks.
    Character Name: Nofaultius