GW - suggestions for how to tackle certain teams

Rather than start another thread complaining about how broken GW is now (which I think it is), I thought I'd start a thread for suggestions on how to beat some node 12 teams. I'll start with mine from today:

CLS (L). G12. 22854 power. Zeta on Rebel Maneuvers, It Binds All Things.
Thrawn. G11. 22081 power. Zeta on all.
raid Han. G12. 19299 power. Zeta on all.
R2D2. G12. 22279 power. Zeta on all.
GK. G12. 17677 power.

Here's my roster: https://swgoh.gg/u/cal/
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The only dead character today is EP.

Galactic War Battles Won 6,961. I've basically cleared it nearly every chance since launch, and have had a broken node 12 for months (until the TB/gear 12 update). The last two days were a struggle, but today has been almost hopeless. Raid Han is 2-shotting any combo I throw in there, every single time.

Teams I've tried so far today:
  • (Wiggs, Lando, CLS, R2) - Wiggs lead to try and suicide a character down.
  • (Zaul, Zader, Zavage, EP, Zylo) - my old Sith arena team
  • (Zaul, Zader, Zavage, DN, Zylo) - variant of my old arena team
  • (zQGJ, Yoda, JKA/AT, Barris) - my meh Jedi team
  • (Rex, CLS, R2, Zylo, Thrawn) - my current arena team
  • (Ackbar, CLS, Leia, Han, R2) - Rebel variant
  • (DK/DT, Shoretrooper, Thrawn, [insert Imperial]) - Shoretrooper is only 4-stars, and gets crushed by Han.

Every team opens with their raid Han killing someone or knocking them down to 1 bar. Then the AI's alpha strike (CLS special, Thrawn's fracture, GK Lead the Charge) kills 1-2 more characters. I'm usually pretty good at finding the correct combo to suicide down 1-2 characters and finish these nodes, but this has me stumped. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to correct sub forum. This is some solid work thank you.
  • Options
    My node 12 is still broken so my node 11 team is similar to your 12. I deal with them all with my mostly g8 zfinn resistance but you have to go into the battle with at least one expose causing toon at 100% tm which is easy to do. Preferably however u want that guy to be Poe since even if say rt wins the toss and goes first, their raid Han could still win the coin toss and go next and potentially 1shot one of your toons.

There are 6 resistance toons plus your own raid Han, just juggle the teams around until u get to go first. Once Poe gets his taunt off, it's gg doesn't matter if it's a full golden team. They can't hurt you if they don't get a turn.
  • Options
    Vorgen wrote: »
    My node 12 is still broken so my node 11 team is similar to your 12. I deal with them all with my mostly g8 zfinn resistance but you have to go into the battle with at least one expose causing toon at 100% tm which is easy to do. Preferably however u want that guy to be Poe since even if say rt wins the toss and goes first, their raid Han could still win the coin toss and go next and potentially 1shot one of your toons.

There are 6 resistance toons plus your own raid Han, just juggle the teams around until u get to go first. Once Poe gets his taunt off, it's gg doesn't matter if it's a full golden team. They can't hurt you if they don't get a turn.

Unfortunately I put my latest zeta on QGJ instead of Finn. Looks like I'm going to regret that mistake...
  • Options
    Question about Poe, is there a level of potency you need to hit to get his taunt to land more reliably? Because with these gear 12 groups I get maybe one expose from it if I am lucky. They seem to be super resistant or I get all the bad rng
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Gave the OP a vote up for making a constructive thread about GW.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Up voted for not being a GW complaint post.
  • Options
    Kithryn wrote: »
    Question about Poe, is there a level of potency you need to hit to get his taunt to land more reliably? Because with these gear 12 groups I get maybe one expose from it if I am lucky. They seem to be super resistant or I get all the bad rng

My Poe is at about 50% potency and I have no prob exposing those g12 teams. Again if u get bad luck with the expose, bring that 6th resistance toon in and replace either rp, rey, r2 depending on who u benched. If none of those combos make poe's taunt expose multiple enemies, well then it's just not your day I guess...
  • Calx
    112 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the up votes, though I would've loved suggestions some more.

I've managed to piece together a first kill:
    Ackbar lead, R2, raid Han, CLS, OB/Biggs/anyone.
    Raid Han needs to win the coin flip, so I changed out the last character till that happened.my Han stuns his, triggering GK. CLS clears the taunt. Ackbar speeds up R2 to stealth my inferior team before they get wrecked. R2, Han, CLS all work on stun locking their Han and CLS (the most dangerous toons).

With a different focus order, I've gotten either GK or Han down before wiping. I'm trying to decide which path to take before suiciding this team for good, since this CLS and R2 are key to several teams.
  • Options
    Can you put Wiggs on for CLS and R2? Should be about the same firepower.
  • Options
    @Calx

if you 're still working on this, I'd say take down Han. He's not necessarily the bigger threat, but he is the most immediate threat when starting a new encounter. If he's out, you might find it easier to take out GK with your next suicide squad, and then finally have a chance to mop up.
  • Options
    Oh, I also wanted to say, please do give us a report on the final outcome!
  • Darklin_Sil
    259 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Well I can give you a broken line up to kill that squad with ease, but by your roster, you can not field it yet.
    I face that team daily on Node 9 and or 11. My 12 has been broken for a while, only changed back once, and I rebroke it right away.
    But normally from Node 6 through 12 I run the exact same team, and it can be ran on auto. A G9 Zarriss ( think your's is 10 ) and a G9 GK even at 5 stars will eat that team with out question if you mod them correctly.
    I run GK, Zarriss, R2, CLS, and Ezra and run into no teams I can not go through.

Anyways, on to helping you with your current teams, Do any of your characters follow their Raid Han ? How quick are you able to use your Thraw compared theirs ?

BTW check your messages, sent you a PM
  • Calx
    112 posts Member
    Options
    CLOSE!! Gotta write it down before I forget:

Team 1: Ackbar lead, CLS, R2, raid Han, OB.
    Team 2: Wiggs lead, STH, Leia, Lando.
    Node 12: CLS lead, raid Han, R2, GK, Thrawn

Team 1 suicided their Han. My Han won the coin-flip, CLS removes GK's taunt, R2 stealths and leaves OB open. After that, it took about 30-40 different combos of attack order to get down to my CLS, Ackbar, Han alive, with 2-3 stunned enemies and very wounded Han. Keys to getting Han down before everyone died:
    • Your Han must win the opening coin flip, or it's 4 vs 5 to start and a very fast collapse for most teams.
    • At some point, Ackbar needs to use his cleanse and get a lot of debuffs. This absolutely flips your position from one of dangerous weakness (debuffed, stunned, low health) to one of relative strength (full health, clean). If Ackbar goes down without using cleanse, just retreat/force quit.
    • R2 needs to stun on most turns. If he triggers Crit Immunity from GK more than 2-3 times instead of stunning, then just restart.
    • Remember that your assist attacks from Ackbar don't trigger counters. So make sure to target a non-stunned hero when you use a special, so that the assist has a free shot at a Rebel who would otherwise counter.
    • Additional key on the assists. The ideal end team for you is R2 + CLS + ______, since CLS will likely trigger R2's basic stun, and R2 will trigger CLS's amazing basic. Even better if one of your assist characters is stunned; then you get to control where to direct the other one's un-counterable assist.

Team 2 suicided their GK.
    Lando was absolute chum here; I just needed a 5th Rebel, he's one of my best, and he'll be useless on this node anyway vs so many counters. Wiggs didn't get to light anyone up. Most of the damage was actually done by a stealthed Leia, including the killing blow on GK. Remember not to use any AOEs unless you have a plan to deal with the counters (stealthed, or STH taunting for the +TM).

Back to work. CLS, R2, Thrawn remaining.
  • Calx
    112 posts Member
    Options
    Zaul lead, Zader, Zavage, Zylo, Boba.

Suicided Thrawn + R2. CLS wiped the remainder (Zaul, Zavage, Zader). Zaul's daze AOE was key to not getting wrecked by counters. Followed up with Vader AOE + Culling Blade.

The rest of my (2,060,491 GP; 1,286,907 in characters) roster versus CLS. I'm still kinda nervous...

Thrawn lead, DT, DK, RG, Tarkin. Had to Grand Admiral's Command onto the highest TM to get Fracture off of cooldown. I didn't try without Fracture, but I'm guessing CLS would've beaten me 1 vs 5.

The end. Just in time to reset and do it all again.
  • Options
    Good job mate,
    I use to love those long two hour nodes, where I would retreat, and rerun. Sadly, lol I do not have the time for that anymore ^^
    Way to stick with it, and great info provided to everyone here
  • Options
    Nicely done, @Calx

Thanks for the write up.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Calx wrote: »
    Thanks for the up votes, though I would've loved suggestions some more.

Sorry, I have but a single G10 toon. I'm not in this boat yet.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Quick update: my GW has gone back to being manageable, instead of that brief nightmare. I suspect it got re-tuned at some point to account for g12?