How to "fix" drop rate without actually changing anything

Eris_Discordant
223 posts Member
edited February 2016
Increase lose streaks and decrease win streaks to normalize the results. Keep a running log of the last X battles which tracks every award (although realistically we are just talking about shards and gear) for each of those X battles.*

Check the desired drop percentage against the log and if the drop rate would be inconsistent with the RNG reward, then change the result as required, and clear the log (for that item).

If the log is good, then just record the "natural" results and move on.

Basically you want a tally that looks like 100100100110010010 but not 111111100000000000 even though both yielded the same percentage and raw number of successes.
Tally # 1 will be satisfying to a human, Tally # 2 will NOT. Nothing changed but perception (or sequence ordering). Progression will remain the same, but frustration will drop and enjoyment will rise.

This is a fairly simple solution, anyone with a CS/math degree should be able to do the math and write a proof of concept in a single day. I'm not saying that implementation would be that simple, just the base logic and math.

* You want X to be as small as possible. The smaller the X, the shorter the streaks and the more predictable/regular the results. Hopefully your drop percentage isn't an irrational number or something like 9/32, that will make for big logs and big streaks.

Replies

• Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    That would work if the game actually run on the device, but what we have is a client to speak with the server, therefor makin it more complicated
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • What the *?
  • Na. People just need to get over it.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Na. People just need to get over it.
    +100000
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • everyone that says they need to just get over it doesn't know how fortunate they are right now. When the well runs dry, they'll change their tune.. eventually.
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Faff2D2 wrote: »
    everyone that says they need to just get over it doesn't know how fortunate they are right now. When the well runs dry, they'll change their tune.. eventually.

My well has already ran dry. I'm level 70, I've been playing since November. I know how this game works and I know about the costs in this game.

ZmTBfgZh.jpg

I've got two heroes at 6* with 100/100 shards ready to star up but I can't because I'm saving credits for my other two heroes who I want to 7*.

I've been working on Nightsister Acolyte's gear piece on the centre right for the past few days because of how slow the grind is. But that's just what it is, a grind. The sooner people realize this the better.

1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Is exactly the same drop rate as

1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

The devs shouldn't be wasting their time changing this to accommodate people who are too blind to see this.
    Post edited by cosmicturtle333 on
  • Another way to do it is how the cantina handles it. Even if you don't get a shard or item you wanted, you at least get currency to buy it eventually. So every roll is a win, it is just than some wins are better than others.
  • JeighKaeNeither
    243 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    everyone that says they need to just get over it doesn't know how fortunate they are right now. When the well runs dry, they'll change their tune.. eventually.

My well has already ran dry. I'm level 70, I've been playing since November. I know how this game works and I know about the costs in this game.

ZmTBfgZh.jpg

I've got two heroes at 6* with 100/100 shards ready to star up but I can't because I'm saving credits for my other two heroes who I want to 7*.

I've been working on Nightsister Acolyte's gear piece on the centrw right for the past few days because of how slow the grind is. But that's just what it is, a grind. The sooner people realize this the better.

The devs shouldn't be wasting their time changing this to accommodate people who are too blind to see this.

Wow... Get some male toons feminist!
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited February 2016

ZmTBfgZh.jpg

I've been working on Nightsister Acolyte's gear piece on the centrw right for the past few days because of how slow the grind is. But that's just what it is, a grind. The sooner people realize this the better.

Wow... Get some male toons feminist

Haha, I know. I started leveling who I liked until level 60 something when I realised almost all of my heroes were chicks.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Hahaha
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Did anybody in reality experience 11111 part of 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0?
    The problem is NOT that "people are too blind to see" the maths. The problem is that - for most people at least - there are no 11111 to see. I am playing since the beginning and I NEVER had more than two drops in a row on anything.
  • ventsel wrote: »
    Did anybody in reality experience 11111 part of 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0?
    The problem is NOT that "people are too blind to see" the maths. The problem is that - for most people at least - there are no 11111 to see. I am playing since the beginning and I NEVER had more than two drops in a row on anything.

I get five or more drops in a row farming Nightsister Acolyte shards.

I'll test Wil Mace Windu shards whom I am farming now.
  • I got 11 Dooku shards in a row two days ago, 5 in a row happens about once a week.
  • Faff2D2 wrote: »

ZmTBfgZh.jpg

Wow... Get some male toons feminist!

he knows what he does. All chicks and Savage Opress in the mid. ****
  • Faff2D2 wrote: »

ZmTBfgZh.jpg

I've been working on Nightsister Acolyte's gear piece on the centre right for the past few days because of how slow the grind is. But that's just what it is, a grind. The sooner people realize this the better.

All chicks and Savage Opress in the mid. P-e-r-v-e
  • If you change it people will still complain. Some people get their kicks on ranting at the forum, you will be surprised.
    Even if it's 50% droprate, people will still complain about certain losing streaks which is "not possible" in their eyes. Only one thing to do is post memes like:

El6Hikt.jpg
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting