optimal arena strategy and justification

This discussion was created from comments split from: Countering a speed (or maybe dps?) team.

Replies

• Options
    This is my view on the optimal arena strategy and justification.

There are two defining factors in Arena:
    1. Speed - The defining characteristic driving the meta is fast chars and QGJ lead jedi teams
    2. Options - Poe taunts quickly, and strongly limits enemy options, and therefore turn the tide of battle

Speed is important because because of fundamentally how turn based games work. "I go before you and if you *don't* die, then you get to go". It's pretty clear that's a raw deal for slow characters, such as Assaj. As mentioned by many others, damage is too large given the relative size of health pools, and therefore this further emphasizes the need to go first. Put simply, slow characters do not have nearly enough benefit to make up for the massive disadvantage of going last.

Speed was always king, but after the patch, speed has become emperor of the universe. Tiers were removed *and* speed leader abilities applied on turn 1, effectively buffing everyone that was previously in the same tier/bucket as Poe -- now they are strictly faster than Poe. All speed leaders are affected (QGJ, Lobot, Ackbar, etc.), but the most defining one is QGJ, because he is the one that pushes more of his Jedi into the range of speeds that are faster than Poe, and because QGJ has damage abilities (+75% assist) that far outclass others like Lobot and Ackbar.

The other defining of aspect arena is Poe. Poe is a fast taunter that actually does his job -- he taunts and protects people. He puts you on a timer -- you had better get your DPS in before Poe shuts the door. Yes, he's worse than before, but ironically, he didn't get worse because of the nerfs. He got worse because of the changes to speed listed above -- QGJ lead teams got the turn bonus on turn 1 *and* they always, deterministically, go faster than Poe. That change was a "fix" but indirectly weakened Poe in a massive way. Before, only a few guys could be guaranteed to go before Poe (Dooku). Now, a ton of characters are always guaranteed to go before Poe.

So given those two key features of squad arena, the strategy is simple:
    Take advantage afforded to you by going first with high speed high damage attackers and *nullify* Poe by killing 1-2 characters on the other tam before Poe can even taunt. Now Poe is completely nullified. If you have characters on your team slower than Poe, you are going to be hitting Poe, which nullifies your character (and why there were so many complaints about Poe). In other words, if are faster than Poe, you can choose your target. If you are not, you are hitting Poe, which is generally not a good deal for you, you would rather be hitting their DPS, or at least someone of your choosing.

So what is the "best" team now? You have two choices:
    1. A team of 5 characters faster than Poe, OR
    2. A team of 4 characters faster than Poe, plus Poe

This means choose your team from the following people:
    Dooku
    Sidious
    Leia
    Yoda
    Genosian Soldier
    Nute Gunray
    Hoth Rebel Scout
    Rey

You can also add QGJ lead teams with bonus:
    QGJ
    Jedi Knight Anakin
    Eeth Koth
    Plo Koon

And based on what people pick, there might be some counterplay based on team comps. (E.g., QGJ lead teams would likely have Dooku and Sid for anti-jedi properties.) I think a top tier team could be along the lines of:

QGJ(L), Genosian Soldier, Yoda, Rey, Jedi Knight Anakin
    Sidious(L), Dooku, Genosian Soldier, Rey, Poe (or one of the other DPS on that list)

Leia is interesting here because she would be fine on offense, but on defense, she would stealth and lessen the chance to blow something up on turn 1. And yes, I realize Anakin kind of sucks, but he is pretty tough and if the other team is also playing a speed cannon team, they will also blow something up. If they do that, Anakin gets a DPS buff. If they hit Anakin, he has a lot of HP and acts like a tank.

I think this is where are folks. Does this mean that you'll never see a droid team on a winning team? No. Does it mean that a Nightsister team will never be able to get to rank 1? No. But I think it does mean that if you are looking for an optimal team, it should really be a speed cannon team that guarantees a kill before Poe shuts the door. Playing slower characters detracts from that, so why would you want to do that? Having your entire team go before Poe basically guarantees that the top 1-2 DPS on the opponent team will be dead, effectively nullifying Poe on the other side, if they have Poe. But if people are still silly enough to play characters slower than Poe, then Poe just further locks them down.

DarthRomeo
    [Akuma on server with Crosis Purger]
  • Options
    Fairly accurate breakdown. #1 on my server has QGJ (lead), Yoda, Leia, Rey and Poe. All 7*. Very hard team to beat.

I'm trying to think of a counter to this current meta. Was thinking a high-health setup with healers and maybe a Teebo lead to screw up attackers, but the top tier speedy attackers throw out too much damage for it to work I think.
  • Options
    Imo you are underestimating obi1, he is the dealbreaker on my shard. Qgj (lead) yoda,obi1,poe,lumi is the crowd favorite atm.
    You can 1shot one squishy with qgj assist, yoda opponents poe to make your poe taunt first into Obi1 special game over.
  • Options
    Thanks for writing this! :)
  • Options
    I am running sid (lead), ig 88, ig 86, poggle and lumi and I am number 1-2 on my server and beating the above teams...

Agreed on Obi, that is the best counter to my team also...
  • Options
    The best defense is a good offense, basically. But instead of following the herd, shouldn't you focus on getting out in front of it and leading the herd?
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Options
    Don't agree with OP at all. Pure speed is the old meta. Within the new turn system, people already have solutions for the Poe + glass canon build. Speedy canons such as Rey and GS are no longer difficult to counter. In my server, more people are choosing not to use Poe. I believe the new meta will include more enduring attackers such as Opress and kylo. The new update really opened up a lot more possibilities rather than just speed. If you don't see this, you are going to fall behind.
  • Options
    Ello_Asty wrote: »
    The best defense is a good offense, basically. But instead of following the herd, shouldn't you focus on getting out in front of it and leading the herd?

I am leading the herd. I am saying effectively - don't use anyone slower than Poe. That's not following the herd because last I saw, tons of people are still using droids, Assaj, and other slowpokes. I am saying that they aren't the optimal plays.
  • Options
    I have a team with lumi (leader), qui gon, jc, geo soldier, and asohka. Earlier today I faced a higher ranked team with Poe, phasma, Sid, maul, and Kylo. First thing that happened was a Poe taunt followed by aoe's from Sid and Kylo. Before I could move, I lost jc and qui gon with everyone else at half health. It was hard, but I still came back and won because I had three guys and gals who could hit hard and heal themselves.

Point is, it's not just just about speed, or healing, or hitting hard. It's about a balance of all three. People who go for the pure speed team will still win, but only in certain situations. All the speed in the world is great until your dude's at red health and will only have one turn left cause he can't be healed. Gotta go for the good balance...
  • Options
    I have a fully loaded GS. In order for him to hit that much damage you need other glass canons to assist, but the trade off is you lose balance as you focus too much on damage. An unbalanced team is very easy to beat these days. So the way to counter GS is high health toons combined with speedy toons. The other poster said it well, it's no longer about speed and damage. You have to consider other factors.

I guarantee you this lineup will destroy any pure speedy teams: Dooku (lead) Sid GS Kylo Opress

It's has great speed, high dodge, damage, AOE , DPS stun, debuff and endurance. It's a much more balanced team.
  • Options
    DarthRomeo wrote: »
    Poe + glass cannon is not viable because Poe can't protect glass cannons. So what I am saying is that cannons that go *before* Poe are important. The ones that go after Poe are not viable (e.g., droids).

Opress and Kylo have a lot of HP, but not enough to counter the massive amounts of damage these speedy cannons do. For example, GS has 12K hit points, Opress has 17K hit points. GS does a lot more damage than Opress and is faster. Combined with other fast cannons, he will kill 1-2 of Opress' teammates who have less health. That's a disadvantage that Opress isn't going to be able to easily come back from unless more changes come.
  • Options
    Nice write up on this @DarthRomeo

I got back into the top 50 on our server this past week, but today was brutal against Poe/Poggle teams. I'm now fighting to stay in the top 100. I was farming gear instead of shards, and made bad choices in toons early on...now left abandoned. -Ceth Senpai
  • Options
    Imo you are underestimating obi1, he is the dealbreaker on my shard. Qgj (lead) yoda,obi1,poe,lumi is the crowd favorite atm.
    You can 1shot one squishy with qgj assist, yoda opponents poe to make your poe taunt first into Obi1 special game over.

All you have to do against Obi1 Is battle meditate with Yoda at the start.
  • Options
    I have a team with lumi (leader), qui gon, jc, geo soldier, and asohka. Earlier today I faced a higher ranked team with Poe, phasma, Sid, maul, and Kylo. First thing that happened was a Poe taunt followed by aoe's from Sid and Kylo. Before I could move, I lost jc and qui gon with everyone else at half health. It was hard, but I still came back and won because I had three guys and gals who could hit hard and heal themselves.

Point is, it's not just just about speed, or healing, or hitting hard. It's about a balance of all three. People who go for the pure speed team will still win, but only in certain situations. All the speed in the world is great until your dude's at red health and will only have one turn left cause he can't be healed. Gotta go for the good balance...

I agree with your premise, it's sound thinking. When the A.I. plays your team it will never strategize like you though. Your line up is good for an intelligent human playing it and I applaud you on that. But I see the out of control steamroller of speedy hard hitters blowing your team up in the A.I.'s incompetent hands.

Another type of balance that seems to be working the best is what combo/synergy team can I just leave on auto pilot and just wreck. And that team will be even more dangerous in the hands of an intelligent player.

• Options

These builds get destroyed on Defense now with yoda. It was an indirect nerf to ben and poe or maybe not.
  • Options
    Cythis wrote: »
    These builds get destroyed on Defense now with yoda. It was an indirect nerf to ben and poe or maybe not.

Good point :/ only 3 ppl run yoda atm. On top 10 but gotta switch it up.
  • Options
    @DarthRomeo

Good write up. I've been thinking the same thing since the speed changes. I agree with you on your best team comp of QGJ(L), Genosian Soldier, Yoda, Rey, Jedi Knight Anakin or something very similar. I'm curious about Anakin at the highest tier, some people have said he is underwhelming but I like his health and his speed. If his AoE hits hard enough, he might be a good option - anyone care to comment on him? The problem with a jedi heavy team is that so many people run Sid and Dooku. They counter Jedi hard and they're both very fast. I actually think Sid has the edge on Dooku, his kit is holding up surprisingly well.

I don't think Poe has a place at the top anymore. There's just simply too many better options. Variations of the fastest characters you mentioned will probably dominate. Since the change, I have subbed out Poe for Lumi, and so far I don't drop as far over night and I have NOT lost to a Poe team once on offence. For example; I run Sid(L), GS, Rey, Poggle and Lumi. The 2 teams that give me the most trouble on my shard are QGJ(L), Sid, Dooku, Yoda, Lumi and QGJ(L), Sid, Dooku, Lumi, Daka (shout out to Rokuyubi & DarthNico - if you're on the forums say hi). Neither one runs Poe, coincidence - I don't think so. Daka performs surprisingly well on defense because you're forced to take her down first to avoid her res. She has a good amount of health and can withstand the turn 1 burst if you don't crit. She almost plays a tank/healer/support role. That frees up a lot of DPS in turn 2 for your opponent if you can't burst her down in turn 1.

I wonder after all the effort of farming QGJ to 7 stars if it will be much of an upgrade over Sid lead versus more of a side-grade, I'm not too sure on that. I love QGJ's speed and his leader ability, but he doesn't hit that hard and you're giving up a lot of +crit chance AND +crit damage. Sid lead with GS crit + assist is almost a guarantee 1 shot. I don't know if GS will still have that capability without Sid as lead.

Another toon I've been thinking about trying out lately is Savage Opress. I love his health he has a ton of survivability, self buff, plus a guarantee execute. He gains 30% turn meter when damaged so AoE would be bad to use against him. Everyone runs Sid and the AI uses his AoE on one of the first 2 turns. He is slow but that turn meter bonus might make his speed viable.

Anyways, I might be over thinking it. People are starting to flesh out their rosters and top comps (27k+ teams) are facing top comps more often. I'm starting to think that all things equal, your team on defense is going to lose much more often than not no matter what your lineup is. I'd love to see a real pvp option implemented in the future where you can challenge or accept a pending challenge to face off with an opponent in real time.
  • Options
    You are NOT forced to kill Daka first...
  • Options
    I know BUT, if she gets a rez off and then Lumi heals, it's pretty much game over.
  • Options
    Realistically

Speed changes means poe didn't need to be nerf.

POE's abilities made him really imbalanced on defense. **** proof AI role. Taunt. Meter reduc ( it hurts every toon that is slower than POE. ) expose is just gravy.

and that made a lot of people angry.

Since we all know AI often plays badly. I openly admit I rank high because AI is dumb.

I beat poe teams who taunt first often because the AI decided to spread out damage instead of finishing off a toon.

If it was a straight player vs player pvp. The story would be very different. Let's not kid ourselves we often win cos our opponent AI decides to waste a heal when there is a healblock active.

The main problem is damage being so high. 2 glass cannons dps on a toon with or without expose is almost certainly a dead toon. Except if they manage to evade.

They have one dead toon and a half dead one. A taunt to contend with and whether they should heal the save the half dead toon.

QGJ was the fix to dispel poe's taunt and that lets u come back from behind.

A simple armor to reduce damage by % or a 30-50% damage reduction in arena would allow for more variety.

If not I don't see the meta changing from. speed and dps.

• Options
    DarthRomeo wrote: »
    Ello_Asty wrote: »

I am leading the herd. I am saying effectively - don't use anyone slower than Poe. That's not following the herd because last I saw, tons of people are still using droids, Assaj, and other slowpokes. I am saying that they aren't the optimal plays.
    Sorry, I did not mean for that to sound directed at you. Your post was great and was a good depiction on the current/next meta. Current for some shards for groups who already have those toons and next for those that don't. So, to me, the most fun is while people are building QGJ-REY-GS builds, I like looking to beat that build so I'm ready for it! Basically, we have a rock in poe, paper in QGJ, I'm looking for scissors...I was just trying to allude to that for everyone.
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Options
    Thrace wrote: »
    I don't think Poe has a place at the top anymore. There's just simply too many better options. Variations of the fastest characters you mentioned will probably dominate. Since the change, I have subbed out Poe for Lumi, and so far I don't drop as far over night and I have NOT lost to a Poe team once on offence. For example; I run Sid(L), GS, Rey, Poggle and Lumi. The 2 teams that give me the most trouble on my shard are QGJ(L), Sid, Dooku, Yoda, Lumi and QGJ(L), Sid, Dooku, Lumi, Daka (shout out to Rokuyubi & DarthNico - if you're on the forums say hi). Neither one runs Poe, coincidence - I don't think so. Daka performs surprisingly well on defense because you're forced to take her down first to avoid her res. She has a good amount of health and can withstand the turn 1 burst if you don't crit. She almost plays a tank/healer/support role. That frees up a lot of DPS in turn 2 for your opponent if you can't burst her down in turn 1.

Hi Thrace.
    Good points there (also from Darth Remeo). And very familiar player names. When I see you in Arena I am wondering why you use Poggle in your lineup. With your Sid, Dooku and Rey having a higher speed than Poggle, they won't have the offense up buff on their first action. Does the synergy GS generates for a Genosian make up for it?
    Greetings from your shard.

• Options
    @jrx

Hi jrx, glad to see someone here is from my shard. I wish we could communicate in game at least with our allies. If more folks from our shard are here, don't be afraid to say hi. Maybe we can get our own little thread going here or on Reddit.

What is your name in game?

I use Poggle because he was one of the characters I wanted to try out from GW. I liked his offense up buff and his synergy with GS. His speed does hurt his usefulness though and I'm sure at some point he'll be replaced. Now that we're seeing more of Yoda and QGJ, having offence up can be dangerous sometimes. For now he is good enough until I finish QGJ and Dooku. Hint as to who will be in my lineup next. It's all about speed these days. Maybe get Anakin one day after 2 months of farming. Just have to finish Rey's last star first.