Random Rancor Rank?

Exactly what have the devs used to ensure random ranking? My guess is they used the existing code, and went with the path of least resistance, and changed the determining parameters from player ID to something else. For example lets say its something like the number of Carbanti you currently have. Or maybe the number of Lightside missions you've completed...

My point is that it's been rng based long enough now to see that it does not seem to be truly random. Sure, it's "more random" than the old system of player ID, but it is most certainly not guaranteed. I've noticed some ppl mostly rank towards the bottom & others mostly towards the top, but it certainly does not seem as if it's actually random.

My question is... is anyone else seeing a similar pattern? If this is the case then the devs need to fix this error. I don't care about choosing the path of least resistance, **** well as cost, and working within existing code. My problem is that whatever they've chosen to use obviously isn't always changing enough for this to work effectively.

Replies

• Nobody else has had a similar experience?
  • If it were those things you listed it would hardly change at all. Have you actually tracked the tiebreakers and performed any sort of data analysis on them over time? Because you are basically just saying it doesn't "feel" random, and people are notoriously terrible at recognizing randomness.
  • Liath wrote: »
    If it were those things you listed it would hardly change at all. Have you actually tracked the tiebreakers and performed any sort of data analysis on them over time? Because you are basically just saying it doesn't "feel" random, and people are notoriously terrible at recognizing randomness.

I'm just starting to track rankings now, there are a lot of variables so it'll take some time, just trying to see if others were "feeling" or seeing a similar pattern... and the devs know what they used to determine rng so if it is something like I'm suggesting maybe they'll tweak it before I need to spend months compiling data. I do appreciate the input & you are absolutely correct...
  • The only thing I've noticed that effects the randomness of tie-breakers is order of completion. If you finish first, you have a greater chance of moving down the ranks. I always finish first in my guild and started noticing this so I've been tracking it. As players finish, they are placed randomly in the ranks of other players with same score but all players with same score are not re-shuffled (which would be more random IMO). So if you finish first you can stay in 1st or get bumped down, but you can never get bumped back up. I have really bad RNG for HPit so I always end up towards the bottom.
  • HyperCalm1 wrote: »
    The only thing I've noticed that effects the randomness of tie-breakers is order of completion. If you finish first, you have a greater chance of moving down the ranks. I always finish first in my guild and started noticing this so I've been tracking it. As players finish, they are placed randomly in the ranks of other players with same score but all players with same score are not re-shuffled (which would be more random IMO). So if you finish first you can stay in 1st or get bumped down, but you can never get bumped back up. I have really bad RNG for HPit so I always end up towards the bottom.

One of the many variables to take into account. This was the first thing I watched for but, as you stated, that aspect does seem more random. It'll take months to get any remotely viable data with all the variables accounted for, possibly longer. Have to wait and see what the data has to say...
  • WrathofCaedus
    1880 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Still, after 20+ rancor raids, I've never ranked higher than bottom 30% of the soloing members. Which at this point is rank 20 to 30... this does not seem like rng to me. There are a handful of members within the guild that seem to actually have randomized ranks but even more that are consistent in ranking like myself. Out of all the raids completed since this change to rng based rank system, to fall in the bottom 20 to 30% every raid does NOT suggest rng to me. It's months worth of raids at this point. What is going on? While nothing is technically impossible with rng, its possible to still rank 1st or last every raid during this time, it doesn't make it likely... even my guild mates have seen the pattern with several of our rankings. I'd like some answers as well as information on how rng is factored specifically... I don't feel this is too much to ask.