They need to make some fundamental changes to TB, it's not going to drive the game for the next year

sneeekypants
1914 posts Member
edited September 2017
I'm an officer in a large merged guild association and was primarily responsible for the TB organization. We ended up with 41* and have maybe 12 whales, 8-10 F2P and the rest sprinkled in between those. I personally was a vault+subscription/month player but don't see that continuing going forward unless something playable is released like a new raid or battles in TB.

After the second TB, it's a bit underwhelming. Requires way too much manual overhead, not fun/challenging, and rewards are not scaled well. Rewards seem to be pretty flat, more like a participation prize based almost solely on how many toons/gear you have farmed or bought. I get the motivation behind it, but it's a poor way to get people to try to spend. I spent to gear/star for Rancor. Same for HAAT and Arena, spent for CHS and some of the new gear to get toons to G12. There's no incentive or desire to spend when it's marginal increases for a collective effort. You got people to restructure guilds, banding people of similar GP but also took out a huge chunk of the paying player's motivation to spend with the flat rewards.

If this is the new content which is supposed to entertain people for the next 10 months, in different flavors but the same format, players are going to stop spending and exit. I hope that doesn't happen. I loved the HAAT for 6 months. It was fun and challenging, but new content was way overdue. A lot of work went into TB but also lot of the design was misguided. Start with something fun and work in the motivations to spend, not try to make a system to get people to buy stuff they've never been inclined to buy then try to figure out how to mask it as "fun".

Some ideas (instead of just criticisms) that would help TB be more viable as the main future content.

1. Restructure the rewards. It's not even about how much you get, but rather the prize tiers provide little or no incentive. We went from 40* to 41*, the next level prize box. We got an additional 3 pieces, which was the same as going from 39* to 40*. As others pointed out, some guilds that got way less stars, all got way better rewards including multiple fully crafted pieces. Finding out the 41* rewards were almost the same as the 40* rewards really took the wind out our sails for trying to improve our score going forward. Slightly nerf the lower rewards (hugely popular idea I'm sure...) and increase the upper rewards.
2. Add tools or increase the log so that officers can see who didn't do their combat/Deployment It's a complete waste of time that is easily resolved and should of been there to begin with. Want to burn out officers in the guild? This is one way to do it.
3. Have the special battles, be special. Where is the big fight with the AT-ST, AT-AT, maybe even a star-destroyer? As it stands now, after the 2nd TB people are already getting bored and lost their excitement. It's just repetitive battles that are largely too easy (prob not a popular opinion either, but true). Even the final ship battle is a cakewalk at launch. The big battle? There is none, at all. Fight the exact same ships you do 5-10 times daily. The last two events were quite extraordinary. Why not listen to all the positive feedback from it. The CHS fight could have somewhat mirrored scene from the movie with a little dialog and an end fight with an imperial droid "boss". Phase 6 could culminated into a fight with an AT-AT where you can call a ship strike and takes some thought, like a mini-raid. TP could be based on % of damage done. The Phase 6 ship fight could be bigger and end with a short animation/dialog of troops transports escaping safely.

#3 is what a lot of people were expecting but in reality it's click this "Deployment" button 6 times at specific times and get rewards based on your power. Spend money and next time you click the button, you'll get 10 more tokens than last time. Next month you'll have to buy these uncommon dark toons! Quite frankly it's boring and seems like a last ditch money grab before resources get moved to other more profitable games.
Post edited by sneeekypants on

Replies

• The devs just announced that they're looking at rewards, so I won't comment much on that other than to say, yeah, they're a bit underwhelming. I wouldn't mind a phase reward too, which just gives you a small amount of guild event points based on the #stars earned in that phase (10 per star, possibly increasing a bit after the phase 3). It would help encourage people to participate a bit more on a daily basis, and prevent that long lull where you can't buy anything from the GE store.

The definitely need better reporting. Logs for special and combat missions, how many people completed the special mission, etc. These get buried fast in the main log. And having daily (or per-phase) stats in the Stats screen would also go a really long way to reducing the "herding cats" work of officers.

As for fun? I really don't know what they can do realistically do here. Some of the ideas you're presenting are interesting. At very least more varied backgrounds (unfortunately Hoth is rather bleak). But stuff like more enemies or tactics would help, but now sure how likely that is - ATST walkers, a Snowtrooper on a fixed gun, cover that needs to be destroyed before you can attack a "dug in" enemy, etc. Maybe more variety in the number of stages - P1/2 has 4 stages, P3/4 has 6, P5/6 has 6 + a "special" stage like the ATAT attack. I agree they need to improve this somehow, as we've done 2 TBs now and people are already tiring of it - bad sign for sure.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • I honestly wouldn't mind TB if they just changed rewards and added some incentive for doing combat missions. Overall rewards should be consistent but I thought it'd be cool to reward guild event tokens for each combat mission wave you complete. This would be a nice fix and would increase spending on gear and other things.
  • Instead of tap and forget for the platoons -- which from the threads you can see most everyone hates -- there should be 6 elite battles.

Obviously for the officers or better players to tackle and, if so, they make it easier for the rest of the guild to hit.

Platoons might have been perfect to add in a new game mode, maybe a turn based progression across a space taking or destroying cover (as mentioned by the OP) or even something like a mini game... Hoth Rebel Scout needs to snipe X targets in 3 minutes. Hoth Rebel Soldier needs to hold a position for 1 minute.

The opening should have something to track the recon droid.

And lets face it -- the entire HOTH TB seems a bit empty without being able to use the T-47 Airspeeder and tow line to somehow take down the AT-AT. Dats' Iconic, where is it?

At the least, no Veers boss fight?

No Wampa fight? For one phase, it should be like a raid boss.

No attempt to get the transport ships away?

No fight against the 501st and Vader?

IDK, was there no material to work with for TB???
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • For me, I'd just like to see boosted rewards and more logically fair platoon assignments.

I'm guessing the rewards we get now were based off of territory battles running for 3 days, not 6. So now that territory battles is 6 days, they should just double (or at least 150%) the rewards since it runs over a longer period of time.

And just make platoons truly random and CAP the max number of times any one toon can show up in platoons. Its ridiculous that we had duplicate platoons in the middle and bottom territories that ended up requiring TWELVE Wedges!

Make it so that one toon can show up a max, say, 6 times in platoons for any one phase.

For our guild, the most time-consuming thing was honestly platoons. Officers had to review them and were scrambling to figure out how to get 12 Wedges or 8 Baze's and Chirrut's into the platoons. The combat missions and deployments were pretty easy, to be honest.
  • I'm an officer in a large merged guild association and was primarily responsible for the TB organization. We ended up with 41* and have maybe 12 whales, 8-10 F2P and the rest sprinkled in between those. I personally was a vault+subscription/month player but don't see that continuing going forward unless something playable is released like a new raid or battles in TB.

After the second TB, it's a bit underwhelming. Requires way too much manual overhead, not fun/challenging, and rewards are not scaled well. Rewards seem to be pretty flat, more like a participation prize based almost solely on how many toons/gear you have farmed or bought. I get the motivation behind it, but it's a poor way to get people to try to spend. I spent to gear/star for Rancor. Same for HAAT and Arena, spent for CHS and some of the new gear to get toons to G12. There's no incentive or desire to spend when it's marginal increases for a collective effort. You got people to restructure guilds, banding people of similar GP but also took out a huge chunk of the paying player's motivation to spend with the flat rewards.

If this is the new content which is supposed to entertain people for the next 10 months, in different flavors but the same format, players are going to stop spending and exit. I hope that doesn't happen. I loved the HAAT for 6 months. It was fun and challenging, but new content was way overdue. A lot of work went into TB but also lot of the design was misguided. Start with something fun and work in the motivations to spend, not try to make a system to get people to buy stuff they've never been inclined to buy then try to figure out how to mask it as "fun".

Some ideas (instead of just criticisms) that would help TB be more viable as the main future content.

1. Restructure the rewards. It's not even about how much you get, but rather the prize tiers provide little or no incentive. We went from 40* to 41*, the next level prize box. We got an additional 3 pieces, which was the same as going from 39* to 40*. As others pointed out, some guilds that got way less stars, all got way better rewards including multiple fully crafted pieces. Finding out the 41* rewards were almost the same as the 40* rewards really took the wind out our sails for trying to improve our score going forward. Slightly nerf the lower rewards (hugely popular idea I'm sure...) and increase the upper rewards.
    2. Add tools or increase the log so that officers can see who didn't do their combat/Deployment It's a complete waste of time that is easily resolved and should of been there to begin with. Want to burn out officers in the guild? This is one way to do it.
    3. Have the special battles, be special. Where is the big fight with the AT-ST, AT-AT, maybe even a star-destroyer? As it stands now, after the 2nd TB people are already getting bored and lost their excitement. It's just repetitive battles that are largely too easy (prob not a popular opinion either, but true). Even the final ship battle is a cakewalk at launch. The big battle? There is none, at all. Fight the exact same ships you do 5-10 times daily. The last two events were quite extraordinary. Why not listen to all the positive feedback from it. The CHS fight could have somewhat mirrored scene from the movie with a little dialog and an end fight with an imperial droid "boss". Phase 6 could culminated into a fight with an AT-AT where you can call a ship strike and takes some thought, like a mini-raid. TP could be based on % of damage done. The Phase 6 ship fight could be bigger and end with a short animation/dialog of troops transports escaping safely.

#3 is what a lot of people were expecting but in reality it's click this "Deployment" button 6 times at specific times and get rewards based on your power. Spend money and next time you click the button, you'll get 10 more tokens than last time. Next month you'll have to buy these uncommon dark toons! Quite frankly it's boring and seems like a last ditch money grab before resources get moved to other more profitable games.

Battles 5 & 6 are extremely broken, those imperials attack like a Rancor
  • Whether the TB lasts 3 days or 6 days doesn't change the fact that the payout comes once a week. The rewards are weak period.
  • In the end, it's just not fun. I doubt many people said the Rancor or HAAT was boring when it came out. The basis of the game is to collect stuff to do fun things with them. After going through it a couple times, there probably aren't that many people who actually enjoy it and it'll just get worse as it drags on.
  • In the end, it's just not fun. I doubt many people said the Rancor or HAAT was boring when it came out. The basis of the game is to collect stuff to do fun things with them. After going through it a couple times, there probably aren't that many people who actually enjoy it and it'll just get worse as it drags on.

The Rancor is actually still more fun than the second round of territory battles.
  • I'm an officer in a large merged guild association and was primarily responsible for the TB organization. We ended up with 41* and have maybe 12 whales, 8-10 F2P and the rest sprinkled in between those. I personally was a vault+subscription/month player but don't see that continuing going forward unless something playable is released like a new raid or battles in TB.

You know i agree with some of it, but you ruines it for me when you greedily asked for mor rewards. Rewards scaling is broken. People who get 20-30 stars are suffering and you got 41 and still complain? You got so much more in tokens to buy whatever you wanted. The game is rewarding p2p way too much in TB. If anything, rewards should be more fair for all, like raids
  • The rewards for 20-30 stars aren't very different from the rewards for 40+ stars. You still get one box of gear pieces and, anecdotally, the quality of the box is about the same and RNG is a far bigger factor than stars - sometimes the lower star box is better. 40 stars gets nearly twice as many TB shop tokens as 20 stars, but I don't see anyone with a full G12 piece yet, so it isn't exactly a lot either way. I think this is the OP's point. You're assuming the rewards are much better at 40+ stars but they aren't, really. There isn't an incentive to improve and build up your squad.
  • WenHandel wrote: »
    The rewards for 20-30 stars aren't very different from the rewards for 40+ stars. You still get one box of gear pieces and, anecdotally, the quality of the box is about the same and RNG is a far bigger factor than stars - sometimes the lower star box is better. 40 stars gets nearly twice as many TB shop tokens as 20 stars, but I don't see anyone with a full G12 piece yet, so it isn't exactly a lot either way. I think this is the OP's point. You're assuming the rewards are much better at 40+ stars but they aren't, really. There isn't an incentive to improve and build up your squad.

Mainly because the shop is full of garbage. Just like the new shard shop. Everything you want/need is never there.

• Odyseass7 wrote: »
    I'm an officer in a large merged guild association and was primarily responsible for the TB organization. We ended up with 41* and have maybe 12 whales, 8-10 F2P and the rest sprinkled in between those. I personally was a vault+subscription/month player but don't see that continuing going forward unless something playable is released like a new raid or battles in TB.

You know i agree with some of it, but you ruines it for me when you greedily asked for mor rewards. Rewards scaling is broken. People who get 20-30 stars are suffering and you got 41 and still complain? You got so much more in tokens to buy whatever you wanted. The game is rewarding p2p way too much in TB. If anything, rewards should be more fair for all, like raids

Not point in discussing it when you didn't read the first sentence.
  • Frankly, I've noticed a decline in guild participation from week to week. It's just so boring and kind of pointless. A handful of guildies have retired and a few more are thinking about retiring. Granted it's not all due to TB but if they were already thinking about quitting TB kinda pushed them over the edge. I feel if TB had actually been good content it could have made them stay at least for a few more months until the content was boring again. Personally, I have also been itching to quit and it is really TB that is pushing me to this decision.. I just don't want to leave my guild high and dry especially when the guild is seeing some of the top members retire. Has any other guild been experiencing this?
  • TB is ridiculously boring and vast which makes it vastly boring. It might not be the reason i qujt, but it will have been the last straw. I think they should take away gw or tb, or both. Im fed up wid this crap. I hate fleet but it is the best feature in the game.... because u only need to do 1 battle a day.