My veiw on Legendary Events

Nocturnal_Glow
97 posts Member
edited September 2017
Many in the community have been complaining about the short notice given for legendary events. I have always looked at this as an opportunity to reward those who have already invested in characters outside of the normal meta (and of course to those who spend money on the game).

After the first event everyone who wasn't prepared then has time (months) to farm up and get what they need for it. For instance with people who missed out on cls the first time around I'm sure they're already prepared for him the second time around now. Just wanted to know if anyone else had similar thoughts? I know the fact the meta is usually with that new character for a few months but again I think that's the reward of not investing in to the current meta or being someone who provides income to the people who work on this game.

(Disclaimer: I am actually a F2P been playing for quite a while and did not get cls and won't be getting bb8)

Replies

• Options
    Thank you for your cheerful attitude, keep up the good work.
    +1
  • OneWorldAway
    545 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I agree. It's not our game to design, only play. I spent over 6 months previously grinding FO "just in case." Thrawn, as much as the Phoenix requirement was disliked, i felt had a totally fair method of unlocking an maxing without buying the bundle. These things, like Thrawn, require a little bit of work, but they shift our focus so that we have something to do.
  • Options
    I do not disagree in principle, but there are a few problems. With Yoda and Palpatine this was not an issue because while good, there were alternatives or simply better characters, and they felt like some icing on the cake. But with R2, Thrawn and Luke, these characters are meta-breaking. The fact that you lock them behind other characters, that is not the problem, the fact of the time constraint is. This means that if you do not have the needed characters to unlock in time, you might be screwed out of the top of arena for 4+ months.

So, either these events need to return faster, or the characters provided should be less broken. I prefer the latter.
  • Options
    True. And all are not on short notice since devs give hints in "whats ahead" like latest feels like Thrawn is coming back. And also you get to use your head not always like "farm this, farm that - ok daddy".
  • Options
    My view on legendary events is this: lightside much?
  • Options
    Vohbo wrote: »
    I do not disagree in principle, but there are a few problems. With Yoda and Palpatine this was not an issue because while good, there were alternatives or simply better characters, and they felt like some icing on the cake. But with R2, Thrawn and Luke, these characters are meta-breaking. The fact that you lock them behind other characters, that is not the problem, the fact of the time constraint is. This means that if you do not have the needed characters to unlock in time, you might be screwed out of the top of arena for 4+ months.

So, either these events need to return faster, or the characters provided should be less broken. I prefer the latter.

THIS.
    I'm more for the latter too. The power creep has started an irreversible overdrive to the pace of the game and is causing premature burnout. Not being able to get them first time round shouldn't begin such a drastic nosedive decline for those who can't get them.

Otherwise, no problem with farming out Legendary characters and getting them the second time round.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Vohbo wrote: »

it's a legendary event. Wouldn't be very legendary if they were super often or rewarded mediocre characters.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I think i will pass this one 2 chars from hard nodes doesn't seem too promising
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The only issue I see is people who are new to the game have to play catch up and we are stuck in perpetual limbo in PVP Arena because we can't get the shiny OP toon to assist our miserable squads. So when a shiny new shows up it blows us back to 1500-1000 ranks and we can't move unless we get the meta toon.

We also get our squads to GS8 and then stuck behind a log jam of 50 of everything needed twice on every toon. Meanwhile, we are not getting the currency to open or level toons from the arena store because we can't advance. And the folks in the top 10 don't even need the large payouts they are getting. They just convert to shards and get more big shiny stuff.

It's a strategy game. Your have to have a long term game plan and prioritize your choices. As soon as people figure it out, hopefully they will settle down and understand. I see the same squads in PVP every day and people are afraid to change their squad to smash what they are given to fight because once they kill the other squad, the squad makeup they have is in turn slapped down 700 ranks because it can't compete against the CLS R2 Wiggs team. Just take it in stride and if you really want BB-8 pay the $80 to get the darn FO boosted fast. That's the point of the darn booster. You pay to catch up or you don't and you wait until next time.
  • Options
    Many in the community have been complaining about the short notice given for legendary events. I have always looked at this as an opportunity to reward those who have already invested in characters outside of the normal meta (and of course to those who spend money on the game).

After the first event everyone who wasn't prepared then has time (months) to farm up and get what they need for it. For instance with people who missed out on cls the first time around I'm sure they're already prepared for him the second time around now. Just wanted to know if anyone else had similar thoughts? I know the fact the meta is usually with that new character for a few months but again I think that's the reward of not investing in to the current meta or being someone who provides income to the people who work on this game.

(Disclaimer: I am actually a F2P been playing for quite a while and did not get cls and won't be getting bb8)

+1 I actually quite like the Legendary events, I consider it the bonus to farming an entire faction. As an F2P player like the OP I will be missing out on BB8 this time, but I'm ready for 7* Thrawn next month, and IF there is a TLJ Lengendary FO toon requiring a Resistance unlock I'll be ready for that too.

And you can bet your last pay check that I will have a 7* BB8 the next time he comes back around.

Some people do need to chill out a bit, not being 1st at Arena payout everyday is not the end of the world. If for any reason you do consider it to be the end of the world, may I introduce you please to my friends MasterCard & Visa? As stated I missed out on Thrawn, I was running inside the top 200 everyday before his release and afterwards too. I got CLS, thanks to the forum for that btw, and guess where I'm running in the Arena??? Top 200. So really they haven't made the blindest bit of difference to my overall game experience.
  • Options
    I like the legendary events but refuse to pay to speed farm any toon requirements.

I got CLS and R2 first time and I have all my FO 7* ready to unlock BB8 this time.

I did however miss out first time with yoda, Thrawn and palp, and yes it frustrating but it was my choice and was ok with it. I made sure I got them second time they showed up (I'm waiting n ready for thrawn :) ) and they were more rewarding victories.

• Options
    I missed yoda and Palpatine and then priroritized so I wouldn't miss them again. I missed Thrawn the first time but should be ready for him next time. It appears I might get lucky on BB8. Point is, if you don't get it the first time, it's not the end of the world. As long as necessary toons are reasonably farmable, I have no issue. I strongly prefer the 145 5* character unlock with the chance to 7* through legendary events to the introduction of mediocre toons at 2* that will take forever to farm when there are so many other priorities in the game. But that's the game. And I live with it. I'm a stronger player than some and there are lots that are stronger than me. I'm ok with that. This is a game and it's supposed to be fun. When that ceases, stop playing. (It's less people I have to compete with anyway)...
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Post edited by SWGAMER6 on
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    I agree. It's not our game to design, only play. I spent over 6 months previously grinding FO "just in case." Thrawn, as much as the Phoenix requirement was disliked, i felt had a totally fair method of unlocking an maxing without buying the bundle. These things, like Thrawn, require a little bit of work, but they shift our focus so that we have something to do.

Thrawn was the only one I had an issue with, not because it required Phoenix per se, but because at the time Phoenix had just been released, and it was a mad rush if you wanted to get them up in time. It didn't reward people who had prepared in advance in case it was needed, because preparing in advance wasn't possible (except through spending a ton on packs not long before that). I have no issue with something like FO, which, despite being difficult to farm, has been a full faction in the game for a long time, already required for a mod challenge, and entirely predictable given the new movie coming out. The trend of requiring various factions for things has been in place for a while, so I have long been tracking my progress towards the goal of having 5 7* characters of each full faction.
  • Options

That's assuming that you've been playing long enough to have been able to farm toons outside the normal meta. The big issue imho with legendary events is that you can't ever farm anyone other than who they want you to farm because you're always trying to get to a legendary toon requirement.

Phoenix for Thrawn
    Old Ben for CLS
    CHS/HRS for TB

For newer players, throw some empire in for R2 and Ewoks for the rumoured super mods....tell me at what point would we have been able to do the ridiculous FO farm?

Ever since the thrawn event we've been getting a new toon every month that's left us no room for maneuverer on any other toons.

There's obviously not going to be any breaks on new toons because that's where they make their money, that's fair enough but they really need to change it up in terms of how they're delivered. Having it like this every single month has really taken enjoyment away from the game for me because there's still toons I want to farm outside these meta breakers but in order to remain competitive I have to do whatever CG want.

If it wasn't for the great banter I have with my guild I'd probably have thrown the towel in by now.

• crzydroid
    7298 posts Moderator
    Options
    You have to pick and choose in this game if you are not a Kraken. I realized this way back in tournaments--I only set a defense squad for the Vader's TIE ones so I could save ally points, and got a 6* Jyn.

Was there enough time to farm FO if you chased the rumors because of the new movie and Phasma being login? Sure. But you would have had to choose that over, say, getting your TB characters ready. And maybe you interpreted that as needing FO to support a character rather than unlock in the fifth Legendary event outside of Hero's Journey. Maybe you didn't know it was BB-8. But you should at this point be expecting any new characters to have seemingly OP kits regardless.

Which comes back to choice. Either you choose to chase new characters and the meta, or you work on in sight goals, help your guild, and have fun doing other aspects of the game. I passed on Thrawn the first time because I didn't want to divert resources from tank teams as we were pre-HAAT at the time (and I was never going to get him 7, anyway). Well, so we finally beat HAAT and I go back to Phoenix, and then they drop TB on us, so I have to pause on Hera for Captain Han. Finally get him to 5* and just finish Hera, then they say we need FO for BB-8. So do you go after 5* BB-8 and hope you can beat t7 of Thrawn without Ezra? Do you pass on BB-8 all together? And at some point I still need to go back to mod farming.

F2P and light spenders CAN do well in this game. But they have to make choices and manage their resources. And maybe that means not getting every legendary right off the bat. It all comes back to choices. If all you care about is arena and chasing new Legendaries, then join a guild that will carry you just for tickets and chase all the internet hunches rather than guild toons. If you care about other aspects of the game, then you can't have every new shiny thing right away.

The thing that money buys you in this game is time. If you don't spend, it doesn't mean you can't have things, just that it will take you much more time. You should realize that going in and be comfortable with it.
  • Options
    The next Legendary event will likely be Resistance. Start getting ready...
  • Options
    I just have to say (I know I know good for me); but this is the ONLY legendary event that I have ever been prepared for. I have all FO at 7* and G9 or higher; this is a great day for me.
  • Options
    Legendary events are geared toward one thing: money!! They give purposely vague clues and very little time when they do the official notice. And it's almost always requires a underdeveloped faction of characters that most free players and a good deal of pay players haven't devoted many resources to except for one or two that are particularly good for arena or gw. Then right before the event they release faction packs for the required hero's to spur a buying frenzy to get ready. That's basically the entire push behind when and who they release. What hero has the most demand for release and which set of requirements make the most sense while ensuring the largest margin of players won't have a full team at the proper level yet to ensure a large spending spree on packs. After that they go in rotation and start brainstorming on the next one. By the time the event roles back around most players have the proper team to unlock him and max him out. And they still have at least the shard packs up for new players who weren't around the last rotation.
  • Options
    To everyone complaining about $$$
    You are welcome! I spend my hard earned money while you stay frugal. My money is then turned into a game that allows you to still play and compete while spending nothing.
    Keep complaining about the players that literally pay for you to play.
    Line ID:nevermore_83
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    To everyone complaining about $$$
    You are welcome! I spend my hard earned money while you stay frugal. My money is then turned into a game that allows you to still play and compete while spending nothing.
    Keep complaining about the players that literally pay for you to play.

Thanks. Since you're in a giving mood, can you also buy me a car?
    Save water, drink champagne!