Let's talk New Player Experience

Replies

• For the life of me I don't understand the "I had to walk uphill both ways to school, so you do too" mentality. My parents grew up without A/C and had to go outside to crap. I'm glad they didn't have the same mentality as some of you guys. If someone has an easier path to something than you did it doesn't take away from your accomplishment. If it's easier/fast for people to get caught up, great, that's more people to help out in TBs, raids, etc. But it's fine, you guys can be grumpy elitists.
  • DarthSalsa wrote: »
    Lv 65 is low is g7, under 65lv you cant do TB dobuble drops for everthing so low player can get full stars faster

Its not so much the stars that are the problem though...its the gear. G7 isn't all that insane to get to and would have been considered decent at one point in time. Now for a lot of things if you aren't G10+ you might as well not even show up. Its tougher to go from G7-G10 than it is to go fro G1-G7.

I just don't get what is bad about making it easier to get characters to the lower end of the useful spectrum. At one point in time everyone started off equal. Now I understand, that was unique to launch, but if you started a year after launch, maybe you were a mile behind. If you start right now, maybe your 3 miles behind. If you start in 6 months you'll be 5 miles behind...that is where the problem is.

Everyone will have their tipping point but what benefit is there to starting new players off so far behind playing such a hopeless catch up game that its not even worth it to bother?
    Strubz wrote: »
    A coworker of mine attempted to start playing again last month after a year off and he gave up in a week. I feel bad, we need new players.

Pretty much like this.

A lot of games has bonus for new player is normal in long games like this. Lv 1 to 65 is enough time for maybe two full cantina toons is not the big deal

Oh, I get it. So new players get two full cantina toons and everyone else does not. Gee, Qui-Gon Jinn or Mob Enforcer? Which one is more fair? I've been playing since the beginning and have never bothered to unlock Mob Enforcer. Do I get him out of fairness?

I don't know what "a lot of games" means. Nor do I know what "a lot of games" do to speed up play for new players after the game has been out for two years, if they do that at all. You're just throwing out generalizations that mean nothing. Even if every single game ever changed its rules long after it was released out of some misguided idea of fairness, why copy them? Why not be the one game that has integrity?

Oh, because it's just not fair.

Because more player, more money, more life for the game, whats your problem?
    Every game do it some way is normal because early game is garbage and born you cant do nothing a little help for new people is not the end of the world.
  • Synric wrote: »
    But it's fine, you guys can be grumpy elitists.

I like how play by the rules now = grumpy elitist. The irony flies over your head. I shouldn't have to play by those rules. The indignity! How dare a new player suffer!

How about this - is it possible to argue a point without slinging insults?

Seriously, I wish I was a new player now vs. 2015. I would have two years of experienced players explaining all the smart moves vs. dumb ones, therefore I wouldn't have wasted so much time on characters that didn't mean very much to success in the game. I could get to a guild faster, credit heist faster, mod challenges faster, gear up smarter. Everything would be better for me.

• if you started a year after launch, maybe you were a mile behind. If you start right now, maybe your 3 miles behind. If you start in 6 months you'll be 5 miles behind...that is where the problem is.

Behind whom? Has the game turned into a pod race and I'm the only one who doesn't know it? If you're that desperate and impatient, spend money.
  • Liath wrote: »

As far as events go there have been a TON of one off events that will never return that new players have permanently missed out on. Look at just marquee events alone...players have been handed out the shard equivalent of what it takes to make multiple 7 star characters just off these events...someone creating an account today has that much more farming to do.

Or how about events that have been made harder? The Endor Ewok event we had this month for example. If I'm not mistaken it was made more difficult recently...so if you played in the past the power level required, hence time spent farming, to complete events like this was less.

Other games have events that never recur at all. In FFRK, there are no recurring events. If you miss an event you just never get to play that event. Marquee events are more akin to the daily login rewards anyway. It's not like there's any challenge to it. It's just something you get for having played at the time it was going on.

And no, the assault battle was not made more difficult. I haven't improved my empire characters at all since the last time it was here and it was exactly the same.

Was made more di
    if you started a year after launch, maybe you were a mile behind. If you start right now, maybe your 3 miles behind. If you start in 6 months you'll be 5 miles behind...that is where the problem is.

Behind whom? Has the game turned into a pod race and I'm the only one who doesn't know it? If you're that desperate and impatient, spend money.

Behind your guild, behind the gw broken teams, behind all the events

Behind your guild, behind the gw broken teams, behind all the events

Behind in your guild? Find another guild to suit your level. Hello, is this thing on? I've done this many times.
    Behind broken GW teams? I don't know what that means.
    Behind in all the events? So what? I - the grumpy elitist - got CLS but otherwise I haven't unlocked/maxed any legendary event character on the first go ever. I'm not unlocking BB8 this time around. You know, I don't think it's fair I don't have FOST. How about you give me all your FOST shards so it will make it fair for me?
  • Saraleb wrote: »
    I didnt read the whole thing cause wow was looong...

But agree 100% to start a new account now you have no chance to compete.. such an amazing divide between long term players and newbies simply cause of the requirements to get the OP toons..

If i started playing last week i wouldnt be playing now... however i did start playing Dec 2015 and even now concerned by the cash and grab way the game is going...

CLS was a game changer.. lets face it the next op toon will be on the way (jedi rey or whatever).. its gonna get to a point there is too much to chase...

Competing for new players against long-time players is a joke. Nw players should only be competing at the level of other new players.

As they slowly build their rosters they will also slowly acquire legendary characters and participate in the harder raids etc. We as veterent players have already gone though all these hoops and a new player cannot be expected to pick up the game and get whatever toon they want and compete at end-game levels - that is just crazy.

But.... as a new player to the game I imagine assessing end-game players looks like a mountain of all mountains and is very discouraging. We as veteran players grew as the game grew and new players are easily overwhelmed by many game requirements.

Perhaps some incentive for new players - perhaps some events locked to under level 50 or 75 to provide some key shards of team/faction focus or bonus mega packs etc. to help reduce the discouragement.

We as veteran players have been playing a long time so are very invested in this game, new players (without the proper incentives) can become easily discouraged and may cease playing - putting the future of this game at risk.

That's my 2 cents.
    But it's fine, you guys can be grumpy elitists.

I like how play by the rules now = grumpy elitist. The irony flies over your head. I shouldn't have to play by those rules. The indignity! How dare a new player suffer!

What rules? Saying "no you can't because I didn't" has nothing to do with rules. Things change all the time in games, and in life. If you can't handle people having a different experience than you, that's your problem, not theirs.
  • Not sure ive ever been qouted so much in a thread lol

Let me clarify when i say "chance to compete"...

Bottom line is this game had evolved massively since launch... players had a choice to farm jedi for the green goblin and that was it.... other than that it was farm what you like..

Now how many events (legendary) is there... requiring diff factions and then you have raids and TB requirements.

This IS NOT a new player friendly game.. heck its not a vet friendly game...

Choices.. but when your new you have no chance...
  • I started playing on launch day of 2015, then quit shortly after mods came out which the devs royally screwed up on. I was sick of the beta feeling and all the nerf requests and so forth so I uninstalled.. Well about three weeks ago I started playing again after seeing the 'new and updated' on my Google Play Store..

First, I was amazed at all the new toons introduced then quickly realized how much I needed to 'catch up'. I didn't have a single Phoenix toon or any decent empire either (Vader was still super rare at the time). My arena server is from 2015 so I basically have no shot of getting to top 200 any time soon. (current rank 510).

Luckily I had enough rebels to get a 6* EP the first week I started, but had no shot of BB8 which is no biggy really. But the biggest disadvantage for me is in the ships. I farmed JC, GS, 5s, Ashoka and Biggs ship shards for 3 weeks straight and only got them to 3* and rank 1100 with no shot of getting closer as everyone is at least 30k power more than me. So I gave up farming ships to farm a phoenix squad again and now I might need to farm resistance or scoundrels for the next event. There is just too many things to focus on and it's a bit overwhelming for most people.

I don't mind the grind and will continue to play because I love star wars and the game is fun for me (now that mods have been reworked), but for new players I can understand the frustration of starting behind the 8 ball and feeling like they will miss out on all the good stuff because they didn't play from day 1.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Arhithi wrote: »
    I started playing on launch day of 2015, then quit shortly after mods came out which the devs royally screwed up on. I was sick of the beta feeling and all the nerf requests and so forth so I uninstalled.. Well about three weeks ago I started playing again after seeing the 'new and updated' on my Google Play Store..

First, I was amazed at all the new toons introduced then quickly realized how much I needed to 'catch up'. I didn't have a single Phoenix toon or any decent empire either (Vader was still super rare at the time). My arena server is from 2015 so I basically have no shot of getting to top 200 any time soon. (current rank 510).

Luckily I had enough rebels to get a 6* EP the first week I started, but had no shot of BB8 which is no biggy really. But the biggest disadvantage for me is in the ships. I farmed JC, GS, 5s, Ashoka and Biggs ship shards for 3 weeks straight and only got them to 3* and rank 1100 with no shot of getting closer as everyone is at least 30k power more than me. So I gave up farming ships to farm a phoenix squad again and now I might need to farm resistance or scoundrels for the next event. There is just too many things to focus on and it's a bit overwhelming for most people.

I don't mind the grind and will continue to play because I love star wars and the game is fun for me (now that mods have been reworked), but for new players I can understand the frustration of starting behind the 8 ball and feeling like they will miss out on all the good stuff because they didn't play from day 1.

Yes, in this particular rare circumstance you really are very far behind those you are competing against and it's possibly even hopeless. Many people recommend starting over on a fresh account as a result. But this is not the common situation of new players being discussed on this thread.

What rules? Saying "no you can't because I didn't" has nothing to do with rules. Things change all the time in games, and in life. If you can't handle people having a different experience than you, that's your problem, not theirs.

Haha. Yeah, OK. Please read your last sentence there carefully.

Haha. Yeah, OK. Please read your last sentence there carefully.

Okay? I'm not the one protesting a change. Sure I didn't start playing in 2015, but I've been playing for awhile and have no problem with things changing for newbies. Maybe if things did, some of the friends I've tried to get playing would have stuck around.
  • I like how play by the rules now = grumpy elitist. The irony flies over your head. I shouldn't have to play by those rules. The indignity! How dare a new player suffer!

The irony is you don't understand the rules have changed over time. Launch rules level 60 appropriately gear modless toons were end game. Are those still the same rules? NOPE!

Just one quick example...new players today hit zeta squads in GW before they are even high enough to have a zeta themselves. For older players...they weren't hitting zeta squads in GW any time prior to 85 cap(and even some time after) because zetas didn't even exist. I'd have love to have not faced zeta squads in GW prior to me unlocking my first zeta...those were the rules you played by back in the day, yet, noobs today don't get to play by that rule. But hey...I guess its fine when things get worse for new players...its only a problem when they get better, right?
    Boooo wrote: »
    Competing for new players against long-time players is a joke. Nw players should only be competing at the level of other new players.

Problem is you can't get away from the impact veterans have on the game. Even if you got a bunch of people on a new shard to all make a newbie guild so raids and TB were long term goals to work towards for you, what would happen? You just end up getting worse raid and TB rewards than the guys on your shard who join more developed guilds and get carried, which ultimately means you won't rank as well in squad or fleet arena...so you'll just keep falling further and further behind.
  • Seriously, I wish I was a new player now vs. 2015. I would have two years of experienced players explaining all the smart moves vs. dumb ones, therefore I wouldn't have wasted so much time on characters that didn't mean very much to success in the game. I could get to a guild faster, credit heist faster, mod challenges faster, gear up smarter. Everything would be better for me.
    Seriously, nobody is stopping you from starting over with a new account. Then you can reap all the rewards that people are getting just for being new.
  • ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Seriously, nobody is stopping you from starting over with a new account. Then you can reap all the rewards that people are getting just for being new.

Correct. But it's so unfair and haaaaaard to start now as a totally new player. I don't want to do that. I'm a grumpy elitist, remember?
  • The irony is you don't understand the rules have changed over time. Launch rules level 60 appropriately gear modless toons were end game. Are those still the same rules? NOPE!

Did I ever say I never knew there were rules changes ever?
    No.
    Did I ever say the game has never changed?
    No.
    Did I ever say I want the game to always remain the same and never change?
    No.

Sorry, irony is where, again?

• I'm a grumpy elitist, remember?
    Someone else's words, not mine.

I don't see how that prevents you from pursuing your serious wish in any case.
  • Did I ever say I never knew there were rules changes ever?
    No.
    Did I ever say the game has never changed?
    No.
    Did I ever say I want the game to always remain the same and never change?
    No.

Sorry, irony is where, again?

Irony is you think noobs should have to pay their dues like you did even though dues required to be paid to get to where you can actually do anything in high level content are a lot greater right now than said dues when level/gear caps were lower, zetas didn't exist, and mods weren't around.

I'd love it if a level 60 barely geared toon(by todays standards) was actually useful for things like they used to be. All they are useful for now is deployment fodder for TB.

• Irony is you think noobs should have to pay their dues like you did even though dues required to be paid to get to where you can actually do anything in high level content are a lot greater right now than said dues when level/gear caps were lower, zetas didn't exist, and mods weren't around.

I'd love it if a level 60 barely geared toon(by todays standards) was actually useful for things like they used to be. All they are useful for now is deployment fodder for TB.

When did you start playing?

• I don't see how that prevents you from pursuing your serious wish in any case.

Well, let's see. Do you know of anyone with a time machine so I can go back and not play this game for two years so I can have the clean-slate required to start fresh now?

Sorry, I have a life and responsibilities. Maybe if you're 15 and want to invest the time in another account on top of the one you started in 2015, go for it.

I'm happy where I am in the game, which is so far behind the whales it's not even funny. Oh, the unfairness!
  • This is the problem with the newer generations , they want everything with no real effort. I started playing in January 2016 as f2p. It took me 3 attempts to 7 star Yoda, when it first came out it was a “challenge” to get him, unlike now that you 7 star him just by looking at him. There was no free energy, no gear at the stores. The gap between f2p and p2p was way bigger than now. GW was a mayor pain in the *** , not just a couple of broken nods. There were no guilds an no ship which means two less stores to obtain toons , so the farming was slower, now can farm an entire team at once. Gear was harder to obtain with no fleet (or shard store now) an no free energy. By the time the tank was released I quit playing, 8 months later I came back and was a completely different gam. There were ships and Z , toons like Kylo and Bobba Fett were useless . It was and still is hard to kinda catch up , so I dedicated my resources to form teams for the tank which now is paying up, I´m in a guild that still does normal AAT but now I´m in the top 3 scorers and manage to stay between 300/400 in arena.
    A couple of months ago I started a second account and it was way easier than my first one. In that account I´m lvl 77 with a few toons with gear 9 in the top 100 in arena. The top player in that shard has a gear 12 CLS, whom I didn´t have in my January 16 account. So don’t tell me that today’s new players have it rough when in reality it easier to obtain, lvl, gear, and mod than the older players. And not to mention a way wider catalog of toons to chose with realy good toons for free.

• lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited September 2017

I don't see how that prevents you from pursuing your serious wish in any case.

Well, let's see. Do you know of anyone with a time machine so I can go back and not play this game for two years so I can have the clean-slate required to start fresh now?

Sorry, I have a life and responsibilities. Maybe if you're 15 and want to invest the time in another account on top of the one you started in 2015, go for it.

I'm happy where I am in the game, which is so far behind the whales it's not even funny. Oh, the unfairness!
    Could've sworn you said you would be better off. Now it sounds like you wouldn't. Either you would or you wouldn't. Make up your mind. How can you ever expect to be taken seriously when you write "seriously" and immediately follow it up with insincere bluster?
    Because more player, more money, more life for the game, whats your problem?
    Every game do it some way is normal because early game is garbage and born you cant do nothing a little help for new people is not the end of the world.
    I get what you're saying, but you're wrong.

The beginning of the game is the most fun part. It's when you're unlocking characters left, right, and center because the characters available to you are easy 1- or 2-star unlocks or given to you for free. You finish achievements super fast and get a bunch of crystals, as well as gaining levels all the time with boosts of energy the whole way and unlock new boards and features... When you unlock Arena you find a whole bunch of teams that are literally just Jedi Consular and Clone Wars Chewbacca.

The boredom comes in when your expectations are out of line with reality. If you're expecting to finish every single Galactic War and 7* legendary characters as soon as they come out then you're being delusional.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Could've sworn you said you would be better off. Now it sounds like you wouldn't.

Instead of pretending you know what I said, go back and read what I actually wrote. I explained it further and it still flies over your head. It's not hard to understand.

Having a conversation with you is pointless.
  • Could've sworn you said you would be better off. Now it sounds like you wouldn't.

Instead of pretending you know what I said, go back and read what I actually wrote. I explained it further and it still flies over your head. It's not hard to understand.

You said "Seriously, I wish I was a new player now vs. 2015"
    So yes you did say that.

Do us all a favor and step down from your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself.
    Could've sworn you said you would be better off. Now it sounds like you wouldn't.

You said "Seriously, I wish I was a new player now vs. 2015"
    So yes you did say that.

Do us all a favor and step down from your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself.

Can you not see what he's saying though? At no point did he say he wanted to start again and waste the progress his account has made.

He's simply saying that he wishes things for a new player now were applicable back when he started.

• Did not read the whole thing, but I disagree wholeheartedly with page 1 about CLS. I farmed like a madman to get him and got him with about 12 hours to spare of event remaining. Tell your guild to focus on one thing at a time, If they're reacting instead of being proactive, it may be why they feel dissapointed.
  • When did you start playing?

Already said earlier in the thread, have fun just resorting to nonsense now because you realize you aren't making any good points.
    Icefen wrote: »
    This is the problem with the newer generations , they want everything with no real effort.

Who is asking for everything with no real effort? Pretty much every farm fest game alleviates past bottlenecks when new end game bottlenecks are introduced...otherwise as time goes on the game becomes more and more pointless for new players to even bother. Do you not want to have new players stick around to keep the game alive? It should be stating the obvious at this point but if we don't have paying customers we don't have a game.
    Icefen wrote: »
    A couple of months ago I started a second account and it was way easier than my first one. In that account I´m lvl 77 with a few toons with gear 9

A couple months in you have some garbage toons? Congrats? You can't do much in heroic raids or TB other than get carried, or join a crappy guild so you can feel like you contribute more even though you'll get less rewards that way, which in return just puts you further behind the curve. Further more you probably don't even have the roster to even participate in most events, let alone actually do well enough to get rewards from them, or maybe complete them.