The lingo

So I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing for about a year. Point is, A.) this is almost certainly in the wrong section so I'm sorry in advance, and B.) I've heard people refer to players as being "In a different shard" or "in a newer shard." Can anyone tell me what exactly that means?

Replies

• crzydroid
    7296 posts Moderator
    It means your arena leaderboard.

When you start, you are put in arena with other people who started around the same time as you. These fill up after something like 20,000
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Omega_S021 wrote: »
    So I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing for about a year. Point is, A.) this is almost certainly in the wrong section so I'm sorry in advance, and B.) I've heard people refer to players as being "In a different shard" or "in a newer shard." Can anyone tell me what exactly that means?

Your opponents for your arena battles all started about the same time you did. That puts everyone on an even playing field. That is your "arena shard". You will stay with that same group of 2k+ players in arena for the entire time you play.

The same holds true for ships and fleet arena - but that is determined later and a little differently (and is not necessarily the same players as your squad arena shard).

NOTE: if some arena opponents seem further along/stronger than you, they likely spent money (perhaps a lot of it) to advance quicker, by buying crystals to refresh more, by packs to get more characters, etc.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Omega_S021 wrote: »

The shard or server your on (this occurs at creation) and is not changeable but those shards are not listed and so players tend to reach out in this section or guilds to find like players on their “shards”
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • A shard means your arena group. Old shard means that your group has been around for a long time. The shard that you join is the month that you first joined this game. If you joined 3 years ago. You would be in a new arena shard
  • Awesome! Thank you all for the very quick and informative replies!
  • Also, what's WAI? That's the one acronym I haven't been able to figure out at all
  • Also, what's WAI? That's the one acronym I haven't been able to figure out at all

Working as Intended (i.e. not a bug)
  • J7Luke
    484 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Also, some of you may find this helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/wiki/resources/newplayers/glossary

It has definitions of most common terms on the forums. Examples:
    Shard: Apart from what's used to star up characters, it is also a name for the leaderboard a particular player is in in Squad Arena.
    WAI: Working as Intended