Why so late?

Exactly the same as the Thrawn event, we simply do not have enough time to farm a full 7* First Order squad.

Statistically, even with full investment, without already having five 6* First Order characters, you still may not have time enough to get them all to 7*. What if, like me, you have three of them only at 3 or 4*?

I have been farming them since BB8 was announced, but you know the random drop rates... I have managed at best to get three guys up a star each so far, and with the limited time now of eight days, nope, they'd be one or two stars higher, no way 7*.

Why make it so hard on people who were not ready? Why give so little time to invest?

I put everything I had into getting a 7* Phoenix squad, and it took three months! Don't argue: drops are RANDOM. You might have done it in one month, but this game is random and that means while some can cope with a week, others may take a month.

So again, I await the next Thrawn event but have already lost interest as it's so long coming. And BB8? I won't care by the time he comes back because another will be along in the meantime.

Why SO hard? Even with triple drop rate some may still not get 7* First Order in a week.

Replies

• It rewards players who have invested in characters that might not be meta, while encouraging everyone else to farm them as there is now a reason.

Also, this is completely different than the Thrawn situation. Phoenix were only farmable for around a week before that event. FO have been around pretty much since the start of the game. Yes two of them are behind hard nodes, but FO plays a significant role in the current trilogy, so it would only make sense that they're needed for something.
  • Fatzke
    705 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Kameleonic wrote: »
    Why make it so hard on people who were not ready? Why give so little time to invest?

Really?
    Because they don't wants you to be "ready".
    They want you to spend money (on the packs in these cases), like ALWAYS with every single event/ game mode/ new toons/ update in the game.
    Is it really not that obvious?
    It's €A. This is never gonna change.
  • Maybe the intent wasn't for everyone to get him to 7* immediately?

If they do, they release toons in marquee events which is 100% distribution.
  • Maybe the intent wasn't for everyone to get him to 7* immediately?

If they do, they release toons in marquee events which is 100% distribution.

This
  • So what, wait for the next time he comes around. I didn't get yoda the first time, but these event will return. I am more concerned with thrawn, as I might not be ready...again...
    Banthas want to eat me, but I eat back!
  • Well the FO was going to have his time so I started farming FOSTP and FOTP a long time ago (especially after the CLS event). The rules are pretty clear to me but I understand your frustration. If I have one advice : start farming your resistance squad now!

It is all about being ahead of the trend. In my case I don’t care about Arena (I use my Jedi squad and I am always between 100 and 200) so it allows me to focus on rare toons.

Lobot and ugnaught will also be required at one point when we will come to the city in the sky.

Ok I am playing this game 3 months after it has been released so I am certainly an exception.

Hold on tight ! The BB8 event will come back like R2 and legendary
  • 1. Yes, €A
    2. You can't unlock BB8 unless 7*. We can't even have him at 3*...

Even IF we all had him now at 7*, what great difference does it make?! Not one character in this game is so incredible. There is a counter to everything.

Even IF they gave a character at 7* away for free, it would still take great investment of resources to get it up to a high standard. Point being: everything in this game is something, or nothing at all. To me BB8 is just another character that I will get eventually, but will be obsolete in no time.
  • A few thoughts, none of which will make you feel better. From the way you wrote your questions, I suspect they're mostly rhetorical, anyway, and you really want to vent.

The first principle that you're going to have to accept if you want to enjoy this game is this: if you want to be competitive, you should expect to be ALL IN. You farm every toon, you spend $10-$50 a week on crystals for refreshes to farm gear and shards, you need to 100% keep up with the pace of character release. If you can do that, you can reasonably expect to always be prepared for events that give you as little as a few weeks of notice for what characters you might need to qualify.

If you aren't willing to do that, you need to change your expectations. This is a game about priorities. If your priorities are this game, you'll spend some money on it to stay ready. If it's not that much of a priority, you have to realize that you'll need to make priority calls within the game. One of those MOST IMPORTANT priorities is whether you'll focus on the characters you want, when YOU want them, versus the characters CG/EA wants you to focus on, when THEY want you to focus on them.

Both First Order and Phoenix were pretty weak factions when they came out. First Order got a lame rework (changes to Advantage), and then got a MUCH better rework with the advent of Zetas. FO was actually one of the few teams where you could invest heavily in zetas and get a good payoff. They were arena viable for a while, even against the dreaded triple-cleanse meta. And a few FO characters really shined -- Kylo Ren with a zeta is nearly meta himself in some game modes, FOTP does sick damage and has a great ship, Phasma remains an excellent early-game all-purpose leader and rancor raid team member, and FOO has some interesting special-purpose use in a few raid phases (Rancor, HAAT P1) in addition to his FO synergies.

There's also the odd similarity in how Kylo's Shuttle and the Ghost and the Phantom are theoretically good ships that sat unattainable for some time. Kylo's ship much more so.

But there's also a few MAJOR differences. Phoenix has never been arena viable at the end-game (it is currently a decent team for low-level arena and even GW). Phoenix has not yet gotten a rework. Phoenix doesn't currently have any zeta skills -- and Phoenix was launched after the zeta era began so up until a few weeks ago, you could reasonably believe that they would never get them and would thus be doomed to mediocrity.

Also, and I think this is the most important of all: Phoenix was launched in March 2017 and Thrawn event was in June 2017. First Order characters came out in Dec 2015 through maybe January or February 2016. They've been in game for more than a year and a half. We've had plenty of time to get them, we just didn't know for sure that they'd be used to get another character, but the signs have been there for a long time. Jedi for Yoda, Rebels for Palpatine, Empire for R2, ANH rebels for Luke, Phoenix for Thrawn, and now FO for BB8. You just need to choose where your priority is.

Conclusion: Sorry, you had a lot of time. And if you want a cool new First Order toon (Snoke? and maybe Old Jedi Luke in the vein of the CLS event), you should start farming Resistance now...
  • Kameleonic wrote: »
    2. You can't unlock BB8 unless 7*. We can't even have him at 3*...

Ummm you can have him from 5*
  • Thank you, I do appreciate your response, and you are absolutely right. My problem is that I have invested money in this rather regularly, but it is so... Inneffective. Spending €20 per month is clearly meaningless. So I now refuse to pay anything again, EA's loss.

Farm Resistance... You're right, but why and how? I am too busy farming for Hoth, or for Droids in the hope one day I get past the first stage of the Endor battles... There is too much, so you can never really focus purely on what you want. If you want to participate in events you have no choice but to keep following what you are told or advised to get.

I am literally at a loss to the mentality of EA. You are offering a game that simply isn't fun.
    Thank you, I do appreciate your response, and you are absolutely right. My problem is that I have invested money in this rather regularly, but it is so... Inneffective. Spending €20 per month is clearly meaningless. So I now refuse to pay anything again, EA's loss.

Farm Resistance... You're right, but why and how? I am too busy farming for Hoth, or for Droids in the hope one day I get past the first stage of the Endor battles... There is too much, so you can never really focus purely on what you want. If you want to participate in events you have no choice but to keep following what you are told or advised to get.

I am literally at a loss to the mentality of EA. You are offering a game that simply isn't fun.

It's a very slow farming game, many people have been farming for almost 2 years. You're right that 20 euros won't make any type of dent, probably don't really see a difference until you spends thousands.

If very slow daily, daily farming isn't your type of thing, it's really isn't the game for you.
    Thank you, I do appreciate your response, and you are absolutely right. My problem is that I have invested money in this rather regularly, but it is so... Inneffective. Spending €20 per month is clearly meaningless. So I now refuse to pay anything again, EA's loss.

It's a very slow farming game, many people have been farming for almost 2 years. You're right that 20 euros won't make any type of dent, probably don't really see a difference until you spends thousands.

If very slow daily, daily farming isn't your type of thing, it's really isn't the game for you.

That's just plain wrong, 20$ won't let you play whale style, but spent from the beginning in the right way make you easily competetive in Arena against the whales which in return fuels your crystal income. Also the benefit of each $ spend reduces with the amount spend.
  • Phoenix only became farmable a couple of weeks before the Thrawn event. FO has been farmable for a long time.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Exactly the same as the Thrawn event, we simply do not have enough time to farm a full 7* First Order squad
    Pretty sure mine was done over a year ago.
    drops are RANDOM.
    They're not that random. The rates are mostly static, over a period of time you're gonna get the same as anyone else.
    Why SO hard? Even with triple drop rate some may still not get 7* First Order in a week.
    Why should you get it in a week? Took me a whole year... Now FOTP is in fleet you can cut that in half.
  • You're not supposed to be farming them now. It's for people who already had them, or have them like 6* and 50 shards, so very close to finishing them.
  • I farmed 100 fost shards from announcement until yesterday, refreshing the nodes on just 4 days. So if someone really wanted, at least 5* would have been possible starting from 0.
  • He's not a character we're all supposed to unlock or 7* on his first appearance. Kudos to you if you can, but this is basically CG telling us to get First Order and Resistance squads going.

Think back to the Thrawn event, and Phoenix panic farming. Thrawn is immediately useful, it's true, but since that event Phoenix has been proven to be a good investment in a number of ways. Galactic War has gotten more challenging, but Phoenix can usually overcome it with good gear. Territory Battles has a Phoenix mission built into it.

So while getting Phoenix was important immediately, content was built around the idea of having them long term. First Order will be no different, and I suspect Resistance will similarly be useful going forward. Take this event not as an unfair release of a character you can't get (honestly, it's not fun if you can get every character 7* right away, without working, IMHO), but as a warning that First Order stuff is coming, and so is Resistance stuff.
  • Zalastro wrote: »

That's just plain wrong, 20$ won't let you play whale style, but spent from the beginning in the right way make you easily competetive in Arena against the whales which in return fuels your crystal income. Also the benefit of each $ spend reduces with the amount spend.

I said absolutely nothing about arena. You can be competitive in arena, depending on the current meta and how old your shard is. $20 will make very little difference at all vs a F2P. A F2P player can get #1, more so now than it use to be.

If you can't get to #1 already, spending $20 will do very little to get you there, help you with HAAT or TB over spending nothing. The game now is all gear opposed to exclusive toons/shards. $20 a month buys 2 partial gear slots when toons now need 15+ gateway pieces each. When the game shifts, a F2P player makes turns like a fully loaded oil tanker. $20 is like removing a few extra pounds from it.
  • The Thrawn event was a completely different story now.

We all had lots of time to have some FO characters unlocked since they had first arrived. Thrawn needed the newly placed Phoenix Squad who we did not have time to max them all out on the same week.
  • Sincerely since i started more than one year ago i always farm all possible heroes, because never know when they Will be needed like now, and is easier upgrade them to XI than 7 stars. One year playing is enough to have all heroes in cantina, LS and DS battles, GW and arena prizes if you focus On it with one refresh with crystals (top 25 in arena payout for the crystals), but if you dont focus on 7 stars always Will not have time to farm when needed. Mods are important, but need a lot of luck to have one good, so better have heroes 7 stars and XI first than run after mods with cantina energy or crystals. I spent money only with heroes that cannot be found in that free places and when they are important for raids or strong teams
  • One advice, do as many tagged teams possible. One day Nightsisters and Separatists could be needed too, like any others (except Tusken). Start with heroes that have more than one tag like Ezra that are Jedi, Rebel and Phoenix and Focus on have at last 5 of every tag.
  • I started off in the first few months farming who I wanted, like Ewoks, and Nightsisters, because they were cool. I then realised that much newer players were killing me with their Wiggs and Sith that I hadn't put anything into. I still haven't unlocked Dooku in almost a year of playing, and I can never stay in the top 500 of the Arena. But now I do what we have to do, not what we want to do, and finally have Wiggs, and a Sith team etc. But because we have so many different groups or characters we must farm, it becomes an absolute chore...

Saying we have had a year to farm First Order is irrelevant when taking into account all the other characters we're forced to farm too if we want to participate in events, or be useful in Hoth etc. We don't exactly have a choice of what to get if we want to compete.