Farming Mods Long-Term

As most of us who have played for more than a few months know, properly modded toons make all the difference when it comes to this game. The right mods, for the right toons, can take you from doing 2 million damage in HAAT to 10+ million, from rank 250 to 50+ in arena.

But ever since their inception into the economy, finding those mods that we can actually use, and that make a difference (speed primaries/secondaries mainly) has been a very long and tedious farm. Not only because finding the higher tiered mods with the primary and secondaries that you are looking for is a task in of itself, but also because those secondaries you do want to increase, rarely do.

Without actual data to back this up, I think it would be safe to say that maybe 1 out of every 100 mods, that are received, you actually end up using regularly, i.e. used in Arena or HAAT, give or take. Those that you don't use, end up going on rarely used toons, especially now with TB and the need for that little extra bit of GP, or sold back for ~20% of what you put into it.

As new mods ARE gained, giving slight increases to your main squads, the others are transferred to less important but still essential toons, "hand-me downs." This has been palatable as there has always seemed to be a lull (between new content) where gear, mods, and toons outside of the immediate priority, could be worked on.

The devs, also, gave us a huge advantage to the farming regimen, when they made Mods drop 100% of the time. Initially, this was, IMO, one of the best things they had modified since they had introduced Mods.

However, the most recent of content (Thrawn, CLS, BB-8), has required us, no forced us, to prioritize either the new content, or be left behind, if not completely, than for just long enough to catch up to then only be left behind again (for the majority of us).

All of this leads me to my point of, or rather question of, whether we need another update to how mods are farmed? Or is it something more along the lines of how mods are leveled? Or am I completely off my rocker, and need to stop complaining!? lol

I spent the week or two before the announcement of BB-8, farming mods, looking for good speed secondaries. I used at least one refresh, so lets say I got between 20 and 25 mods per day, total of anywhere between 200-350, probably closer to ~300's.

I didn't get a single secondary speed over 9, virtually turning that week of farming into a waste. In the past, this would average out, over the course of the month or so, and the waste would be easier to swallow.

But with all the new content requiring us to not just divide our attention, but take it directly away, from really the necessary parts of the game, i.e. playing with the characters we want to and making them better, there seems to be not enough of a balance between acquiring pieces to such a game-changing part of this game and everything else.

Maybe it's just me, and my long-winded rant is unnecessary.

Replies

• I save my credit heists and get mods from the mod shop. For the price of 7 farmed mods (100 crystal refresh) you can refresh the mod shop 6 - 7 times.
  • SolariJedi
    138 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't have an issue with the price of farming the mods, in fact I still get a little bit of a rush from finding a tier A or B with a four or 5 secondary speed. But even through the store, waiting to find a good mod, to have the only stat you want to be increased not even touched. I'm wondering if there should be a better way...
  • Just my opinion... The only thing that I'm concerned about with mods are the set bonus, with a priority of speed secondary ONLY if possible. Most content is so much easier with 5pip mods of any kind, of the right set, leveled to 15. Sure, the 500+k I've spent to level up a Potency Arrow mod with Crit Avoidance as a primary isn't optimal, but I've passed it down for months. At the time it helped me crush whatever event I needed it for on a toon I didn't care for much for.

Now that I have about 40 full sets of 5pip mods (that's about 250 mods) I can start to be picky and switch the better ones to other toons, while passing the less than optimal primaries to others, like fleet crew members that I don't use anywhere but fleet battles.. While others may disagree with this strategy, farming and waiting for the perfect mods while content passes me by is not my plan, but will save you a ton of credits for sure. Also, I can now be much more picky about the mods that I keep and level up, because I have plenty I can move around.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Whatever_Man
    76 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    This is strictly a personal opinion:

I was a fan of the original mod concept before the vocal fans went all crazy and demanded a complete removal. To compromise, CG Dev gave us a crippled version of what we have today. It was a 100% drop rate then when it first came out and that was very nice. I was seeing diverse teams in arena and GW and GoH became interesting again. Yes, it was annoying going up against a maxxed defense tank, but if all your character's attack power base was higher, it did not matter.

I also know the original intent was have 6&7 dot mods to be raid exclusive, but really with characters being able to solo and mod increasing character stats, that would have been easily farmed in time.

When AAT raid came out shortly thereafter, it was apparent to me that the Devs built it around the original mods concept. People then complained about tank being too difficult for the average guild, and realistically having these mods would have lessen the tank's difficulty. I personally believe that the current Thrawn/CLS/whatever over powered toon wouldn't be as much of a problem today and you could have just focused on your favorite characters. But this is just my 2 cents.
  • Just my opinion... The only thing that I'm concerned about with mods are the set bonus, with a priority of speed secondary ONLY if possible.

Speed is king in the arena. You sounds like someone who runs with a Rex lead only.
    SolariJedi wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with the price of farming the mods, in fact I still get a little bit of a rush from finding a tier A or B with a four or 5 secondary speed. But even through the store, waiting to find a good mod, to have the only stat you want to be increased not even touched. I'm wondering if there should be a better way...

Yeah, I just meant to say, I seem to have a lot better chance using my crystals to refresh the shop and buy a mod than I do from farming mods. Farming is good if I need to complete a set or something.
  • Dretzle wrote: »
    Just my opinion... The only thing that I'm concerned about with mods are the set bonus, with a priority of speed secondary ONLY if possible.

Speed is king in the arena. You sounds like someone who runs with a Rex lead only.

Yeah, I just meant to say, I seem to have a lot better chance using my crystals to refresh the shop and buy a mod than I do from farming mods. Farming is good if I need to complete a set or something.

This coming from the guy who runs Rex lead in Arena? You do have some pretty amazing mods though... I'll give you that!
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • SolariJedi
    138 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Dretzle wrote: »

How often do you actually find something through the store, and get the secondaries you need?

• Flakbait
    63 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I do a bit of both. I try to keep enough cash on hand to buy one if a good one pops up in the store, usually buying 2-3 per month. And I also farm 5-10 per day. This has been my routine for many months.

I would say that over time that my successes come from both about equally. Success is defined as a slot, boost type & primary that I want - and a secondary that I'm looking for with 1-2 increases on it. Examples would be "CC Arrow, Speed Primary, +4.5% CC, +whatever" and "Potency Cross, Potency Primary, +10 speed, +whatever."

Each month I end up with a couple successes, maybe 2-3x that many partial successes (usually meaning the secondary I wanted didn't increase, or the +whatever was complete junk like +%Def for Raid Han), and a BUNCH of expensive disappointments and outright sales-fodder.

It's costly, both in energy and credits on attempts that didn't pan out. But I look at it as the cost of progress, or at least as the cost of staying semi-competitive.

-edit-
    I do have a few great mods out of all of that work (typically meaning+15-20 speed secondary) but only 10 or so total, after 18ish months of playing. And I have no "Jackpot!!" level mods. +20 speed secondary is my best and I only have 1 of those.
  • How long have I been playing and I only have a +16 max speed bonus. Fight for top 10 in arena every day versus guys with 3x 20+ on the same **** toon. Yeah, I wish there were consistency and less rng for sure.
  • I would even be open to keeping how we acquire them, and just paying 2x, or 3x, the amount to upgrade the mod if it meant that I could choose which stats were upgraded. 1.5 to 2 mil for a 15-20 secondary speed, or 100+ sec. offense mod!