Beginner's Guide: Character Farming! [Updated 22 Oct]

Mist_Passiert
375 posts Member
edited October 2017
First installment to my updated Beginner's Guide series, Cantina Battle farming is live!

For newer players curious about who to target in their farming of characters available on Cantina Battle Nodes, this guide should help point you in the right direction! Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/TrhkCTc4bpg

The second installment to my character farming guides is finally done! It took a while for me to figure the best way to approach this beast, and I settled on the format below. I tried to highlight one target to farm from each stage to help narrow it all down. It really all comes down to priorities, whether you can refresh 1, 2, or 3 times, and if your needs are in gear or if you can farm more than one or two characters at once. Again, this is not a catch-all comprehensive guide, it simply provides my opinion on what hard nodes should take precedence on each stage. Please ask questions and provide feedback!

https://youtu.be/As5Ixh64qF0
Post edited by Mist_Passiert on

Replies

• Options
    As a new player (started about 2 weeks ago and am now lvl 50) who just discovered this forum yesterday, I found it extremely helpful. I wasn't aware of all the requirements for legendary events. It's also daunting how much cantina battle farming I need to do now...

But I would be very interested in more guides like this, seemed very well done.
  • Options
    I'm glad you found it helpful! I'm planning my hard mode battles farming guide next. It's a very difficult guide to make, considering there are so many characters there, and it takes a very long time to hit 85, so farming hard modes is a very long term discussion. It'll be more of a "farming suggestions" guide.

The next ones after that will be for each store.
  • Options
    Any thoughts on going for phoenix squadron early, as well as some scoundrels, to get my teams to get palatine and thrawn events? Also so I'm competitive in squad arena?
  • Options
    Skydancer1 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on going for phoenix squadron early, as well as some scoundrels, to get my teams to get palatine and thrawn events? Also so I'm competitive in squad arena?

Phoenix Squadron is a very competitive arena squad until the very end of the game. But by then, having phoenix will get you Thrawn and Emperor Palpatine. Just make sure you have 5x empire at 7 stars for R2, old Ben, Leia, farmboy Luke and you should already have a 7 star Stormtrooper Han, so you'll be ready for Commander Luke Skywalker.
  • Mist_Passiert
    375 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Update in original post!
  • Options

I've recently started a completely Free to Play account to mess around and re-enjoy the leveling grind. From the start I've focused almost all my efforts on Phoenix squad as soon as I was able. As a result I have a fairly lack-luster Dark Side team, Marginal Scoundrel Team and just started side-farming for a Jedi team. I am fully 2 tiers behind on Dark Side Hard Mode Battles as a result, at level 61. In the Arena my Phoenix team hovers around 750 rating, which isn't bad. Fleet aspects of that account are developing slowly, but isn't suffering. The account was guild-less until level 50, as well. Phoenix can work well for a new player, but I would suggest not hyper focusing on them like I have. ;)

For Scoundrels, I suggest getting Boba Fett and Lando, you'll already have Chewbacca. I'd suggest Cad Bane and Storm Trooper Han. The reason to get Lando and Storm Trooper Han is both are also Rebel faction and come in handy for events and in Lando's case the Meta Wiggs (Wedge & Biggs) arena team.

When looking at Events for specific characters I suggest the perspective that it is a Marathon, not a race. It's fine to not 7 star an event character in your first go around.
  • Options
    Btw, excellent Cantina Guide, Mist!
  • Options
    Caerais wrote: »

I've recently started a completely Free to Play account to mess around and re-enjoy the leveling grind. From the start I've focused almost all my efforts on Phoenix squad as soon as I was able. As a result I have a fairly lack-luster Dark Side team, Marginal Scoundrel Team and just started side-farming for a Jedi team. I am fully 2 tiers behind on Dark Side Hard Mode Battles as a result, at level 61. In the Arena my Phoenix team hovers around 750 rating, which isn't bad. Fleet aspects of that account are developing slowly, but isn't suffering. The account was guild-less until level 50, as well. Phoenix can work well for a new player, but I would suggest not hyper focusing on them like I have. ;)

For Scoundrels, I suggest getting Boba Fett and Lando, you'll already have Chewbacca. I'd suggest Cad Bane and Storm Trooper Han. The reason to get Lando and Storm Trooper Han is both are also Rebel faction and come in handy for events and in Lando's case the Meta Wiggs (Wedge & Biggs) arena team.

When looking at Events for specific characters I suggest the perspective that it is a Marathon, not a race. It's fine to not 7 star an event character in your first go around.

IG88 is imo better then cad bane and chewie, so i would say leave cad bane out
  • Options
    Caerais wrote: »

IG88 is imo better then cad bane and chewie, so i would say leave cad bane out
  • Options
    Thanks for making these, it helps me out a lot at least. I think I have a pretty good insight to buying from each store but I'm looking forward to what you have to say for it
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! The next guide will be a resource management guide, then I'll start tackling the individual stores!
  • Options
    I am currently slow playing my account up to level 28 but really can't decide who to focus on. On my other accounts I'm so tired of running in to Pheonix squads that are killing it in arena, I feel like that is the only option for my first farm team. But I'm worried about how far they can take me. I have mostly focused on Lando, Boba and STHan in the past, but it is a long farm. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    I am currently slow playing my account up to level 28 but really can't decide who to focus on. On my other accounts I'm so tired of running in to Pheonix squads that are killing it in arena, I feel like that is the only option for my first farm team. But I'm worried about how far they can take me. I have mostly focused on Lando, Boba and STHan in the past, but it is a long farm. Any suggestions?

The main attraction of Phoenix is that they provide a single squad for two legendary characters (Thrawn and Emperor Palpatine) who in turn will provide you with two empire characters to use for the R2-D2 event. On the flip side, Lando, ST Han, and Boba are the foundation of your scoundrel squad for events, but also perform extremely well in arena. In the past I've gone the Droid route, but they don't perform the way they used to. Resistance are another great option, and have the added benefit of being one of the best bang for your buck PvE squads as well. Especially since they only need one zeta to do well (Finn lead), two to do extremely well (R2 Number Crunch)! Hopefully this helps!
  • Options
    As a casual f2p person in the game, I just got lando. It took a while...guess I am not lucky on the drop rate. But my question is should I get him to 7* prior to farming another on the cantina battles or should I work on others as well?
  • Options
    My own experience from starting out is this:

I went full Phoenix, great team great synergy but they fall off at 60+ big style in Squad Arena.
    I got them to get Thrawn but find that at mid 60's your not getting Thrawn 7 stars but you will unlock him at 5 stars. (If 5 stars is good enough for your needs them all is good.)

I made a list of every character you need in game for every event/raid/fleet etc and its over 60 characters and growing. You cannot do that in any realistic timeframe therefore you must prioritise.
    If you prioritise then your not building teams to unlock the various mod types therefore you must settle on Health mods until you are a much higher level.
    All your efforts need to go into making your main team as usefull as possible whilst also making them as powerful as possible.

With all this said I am starting a new Hoarded account with these things in mind and a set of characters that go into giving me the best bang for what I want.

I have decided to concentrate solely on fleet arena so I am aiming for a top meta fleet team which also happens to do other things, my character farms are:

Biggs, Bistan, Scarriff Rebel Pathfinder, Cassian, Jyn Erso, K2SO, Tarkin, FOTFP, Gar Saxon, Imp Super Commando, TFP, Boba Fett, Darth Vader and Fives.

These give me a fleet team of:
    Executrix, TF, FOTF, Tie Adv x1, Umbarran Starfighter, Biggs X Wing
    Backup:
    Slave 1, Bistans U Wing, Cassians U Wing
    And Eventually Gauntlet will replace Umbarran.

It also gives a Rancor solo team, LS and DS teams, a squad arena team which is sub par but will still be able to compete offensively.
    I have intentionally ignored event characters as the requirements to defeat them are best left till level 85 in my experience.

Farming locations:
    Cantina Store: Bistan, Boba Fett, Fives and Cassians U wing schematic.
    Galactic War: Biggs, Biggs Xwing, K2SO, Imp Tie Schematic
    Cantina node farms: Scarriff 1D, Biggs 3G, TFP 4B, Gar Saxon 8E, Imp Super Comm 8D
    Hard Node farms: FOTFP LS6D and DS6B, Boba DS2B and DS4E, Fives DS2D and LS4F
    Guild Store: Jyn Erso
    Squad Arena: Cassian Andor, Tarkin
    Crystal Purchases from Shipments: Gar Saxon, Imp Super Commando, FOTFP, Jyn Erso

As you can see that's a lot of planning ahead and a lot of time to get it all done, that is the main idea here - it will take a lot of time, probably a year just to get these maxed out. If you spend crystals on refreshes you can decrease that to more like 6 months, but then is that worth 450 crystals a day over 80,000 crystals total.

Personally I am going to try without the crystal refreshes and my game starts when I hit level 60 as that's when I get put into fleet arena shard, a different perspective but I hope you can see where its coming from.

• Options
    @Windscale I actually really like this strategy because you're right that if you focus on ships you can be just as successful as if you focused on arena now. Ships give you one of the more important currencies since you can buy zetas, ship shards or character shards. Keep us posted on how this goes as I'm very interested.