Communication

Prev1345
I don't understand why Thrawn event wasn't named in the event calendar. I mean awesome it's coming back but why so secretive and hush about it. Sure people guessed at it and the phx upgrades are a red herring but I still don't get it. Imo players on the forum could be called the most engaged. Whether it's trolling or helping or complaining- we enjoy this game so much that we spend time here.
I understand somethings can't be said which is fine and I understand the oks and nays from higher ups but this is weird.
I wanted to @ tophat but it wouldn't let me. He seems to be the man with the plan.
Maybe it's just me but sometimes shooting from the hip is appreciated more. Especially to those that are as dedicated to this game as we are.

Replies

• Massov
    123 posts Member
    Options
    +1

The original panic farm made sense as it would make a lot of money but as Phoenix are now a fairly staple farm due to being needed in TB, it could have been declared and probably made more as people would have been happier to pay to get shards if they knew it wasn't a gamble.
  • Corrog
    308 posts Member
    Options
    You're not seeing it right. This game is a product. An enjoyable product, but it's a product. CG is the curator of this product. They take the time to polish it, make it look nice, and make sure it doesn't break. EA is the vendor of this product. They make sure it's making the most money for they company as is possible.

EA wants money from this event. And a quick glance at the forums every now and then reveals what sorts of things will get otherwise stingy customers to open their wallets: panic farms. And despite my, and others', attempts to explain this to everyone, people still buy into the idea of needing these legendary characters. As long as that continues to happen, we'll get more and more legendary characters with less and less lead time. That's how CG can get EA to allow more fun features and characters to come along. Territory Battles is a massive undertaking, one EA would be well advised to prevent them from making (too many resources on a free event, potentially rewarding players with upgrades they don't have to pay for). But CG used the panic farm device with Captain Solo to get EA on board.

Unfortunately, the panic farm will persist on legendary characters for their first few cycles. A bit of foresight and planning helps get around this, but if you waited for notice you're in the same boat you were in the first time the event came out.
  • Options
    It was said in last months calendar that it would be back. Also what im starting to notice is that they do give you a hint at what is coming you just need to read between the lines.
  • LordDirt
    5003 posts Member
    Options
    We all got the hint and we all knew he would be back at some time. I farmed them since the last event as I was not going to miss him in the next one. Hope I farmed enough!
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    They all but came straight out and said it, multiple times.

It's still a business with rules, the fact they gave us such an obvious clue was actually cool on their part as non-forum users would've had no idea.

So thank you CG and especially Kozi for showing me where to focus and now I'm ready (:
  • Options
    I don't think packs are being released though. Again totally agree was easy to see. And I'm happy it's back. And I enjoy the "what's ahead"
    But this was just kind of counter productive. Even in a business standpoint what was gained? I just feel it was an easy lay up that some/most would have been super appreciative about.

Also my way of thinking is different - I really feel for those that are on the forum should be used in a good way. Set up a good give and take for those that are engaged as we are. I'm in no way saying we should know about CLS return if it's in November or a ns legendary event or whatever. But a better relationship. How do people feel about rancor ties now? Hey we mentioned clone helmets with tb and other stuff it's taking longer than we wanted. Maybe I'm just too much of an idealist.
  • Options
    Agree with this. I get the surprise releases, the new stuff. I don't like it, but I get it. But this has been around before, and especially the fact that it was coming within a week of the calendar being posted. It really makes no sense. All it did was cause a lot of drama and confusion, for no reason.
  • Mercy
    13 posts Member
    Options
    Mol_Zakore wrote: »
    They all but came straight out and said it, multiple times.

It's still a business with rules, the fact they gave us such an obvious clue was actually cool on their part as non-forum users would've had no idea.

So thank you CG and especially Kozi for showing me where to focus and now I'm ready (:

Ya they say a lot that doesn’t quite jive with reality too.

Ya this login charecter of the month sure is “super” ain’t she /sarcasm off
  • Options
    We all knew Thrawn's event would come back.
    If you are waiting it to be officially announced here, you're doing something wrong.

All your phoenix characters should already be 7*, and thanks EAgod, it's not too hard to have them all 7*.

Special advise for you: prepare your resistance's toons asap.
    Second advise for you: First Order too

And expectative advise: start farming nightsisters from GW/arena/cantina shops ;)
  • Options
    It works...panic farming is a thing.

But if you have been on this forum for the last two week...plenty of discussion about Thrawn coming back and September 7 was the date given.
  • Options
    I don't understand why Thrawn event wasn't named in the event calendar. I mean awesome it's coming back but why so secretive and hush about it. Sure people guessed at it and the phx upgrades are a red herring but I still don't get it. Imo players on the forum could be called the most engaged. Whether it's trolling or helping or complaining- we enjoy this game so much that we spend time here.
    I understand somethings can't be said which is fine and I understand the oks and nays from higher ups but this is weird.
    I wanted to @ tophat but it wouldn't let me. He seems to be the man with the plan.
    Maybe it's just me but sometimes shooting from the hip is appreciated more. Especially to those that are as dedicated to this game as we are.

Same ole same ole

That's the way they play. And as long as people continue to purchase packs offered as a last minute way to get shards for the characters they want it will never change.
  • Mercy
    13 posts Member
    Options
    Corrog wrote: »
    You're not seeing it right. This game is a product. An enjoyable product, but it's a product. CG is the curator of this product. They take the time to polish it, make it look nice, and make sure it doesn't break. EA is the vendor of this product. They make sure it's making the most money for they company as is possible.

You aren’t seeing this right. Making your base angry through lack of clear language especially about an old returning event does not make them money it costs them money.
  • Options
    The first Thrawn, the first R2 and the CLS event weren't listed in the initial monthly calendar either. They were all announced AFTER the first of the month. Part of it probably has to do with the fact that they don't want to guarantee a particular release date until they are certain it's ready to release...otherwise, the forums would be flooded with tears about how they "promised" us a particular release date and then didn't deliver. With this Thrawn event though, keep in mind that he's tied into Phoenix and the incoming Phoenix upgrades....so they probably needed to ensure that the Phoenix upgrades were ready for release before they could announce an official date for Thrawn's return.

The reality is that they gave an obvious hint with the Sept. 20th content update that Phoenix was getting upgraded and Thrawn was returning. The what's ahead section said: "A team rises from the ashes stronger as a familiar foe returns." That was a clear reference to Phoenix getting an upgrade and Thrawn returning. So this was "communicated" to you and everyone else. That's the point of the hints....they can't officially announce re-works and events that may be subject to modification or don't have firm release dates. So they hint at what's coming next so people can start preparing for it. In this case, we were basically told 2 weeks ago that Thrawn was on his way back.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    The first time around nobody knew of this event's existence, or the requirements. So people being irritated at the panic farm is understandable. I actually think they were pretty reasonable with the amount of time given considering how easy they made Phoenix farmable, and how long the double drops lasted. Thrawn was attainable for free to anyone at 5* at least. I may be in the minority on that.

But this time around I don't know how advanced notice matters. Anyone who wanted Thrawn should have been farming Phoenix non stop since the event ended last time, and they should be ready now. They could honestly give zero heads up, and it shouldn't matter. But they gave it away with their blatantly obvious hint last week, and gave all the exact details packaged together with info on the Phoenix Zetas a few days ahead. Seems like plenty for an event we already know everything about, and have been anticipating for months and month.
  • Options
    If you really think about it, they are rewarding the people who are engaged on the forums.

The what's ahead has been a big clue to something coming that isn't listed with a specific date, at least the last two times. Until we are proven wrong, I think it's safe to assume this trend will continue.
  • Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    The first time around nobody knew of this event's existence, or the requirements. So people being irritated at the panic farm is understandable. I actually think they were pretty reasonable with the amount of time given considering how easy they made Phoenix farmable, and how long the double drops lasted. Thrawn was attainable for free to anyone at 5* at least. I may be in the minority on that.

But this time around I don't know how advanced notice matters. Anyone who wanted Thrawn should have been farming Phoenix non stop since the event ended last time, and they should be ready now. They could honestly give zero heads up, and it shouldn't matter. But they gave it away with their blatantly obvious hint last week, and gave all the exact details packaged together with info on the Phoenix Zetas a few days ahead. Seems like plenty for an event we already know everything about, and have been anticipating for months and month.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    I totally get all your points. And I do my best to stay on top of what the "next thing" might be.(farming ns rn) My complaint isn't that I'm missing out on thrawn because it wasn't officially said. I just feel it was a missed opportunity to just be straight with the games most dedicated and engaged fan base. Both sides of the coins is really nbd. I have encouraged other players if they miss a legendary event to make sure they are ready for when it returns. Just seems trivial that Kozi couldn't say thrawn was coming back because of a higher up and then it's there in events. Speaking of trivial what I'm saying is trivial as well- I know this. But I believe there should always be an improvement in communication and this was a very easy step.
  • Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I totally get all your points. And I do my best to stay on top of what the "next thing" might be.(farming ns rn) My complaint isn't that I'm missing out on thrawn because it wasn't officially said. I just feel it was a missed opportunity to just be straight with the games most dedicated and engaged fan base. Both sides of the coins is really nbd. I have encouraged other players if they miss a legendary event to make sure they are ready for when it returns. Just seems trivial that Kozi couldn't say thrawn was coming back because of a higher up and then it's there in events. Speaking of trivial what I'm saying is trivial as well- I know this. But I believe there should always be an improvement in communication and this was a very easy step.

Kozi basically stated it...someone asked him about Thrawn coming back in October and he stated that not everything in on the calendar.
  • Options
    Calbear949 wrote: »

He basically stated it...someone asked him about Thrawn coming back in October and he stated that not everything in on the calendar.

Kozi is a she or whatever pronoun she wants to use. Yep I get it. My complaint or spotlight is not on the thrawn event itself. But why go all around the subject when could've just stated - thrawn returns.
  • Options
    Y'know, part of it could be that they want the increase in traffic on the forums. Not announcing Thrawn on the calendar creates a frenzy of posts about whether he's actually coming back or not, in addition to the posts that Kozi responded to, basically saying that Thrawn would be back.

They were essentially in a no win situation, as they find themselves in frequently. If they put him on the calendar with a date, and then for whatever reason, that date doesn't work, people will gripe. If they put him on with no date, people would still complain that they need to know when. And if they do what they did, and just hint that he will be back soon, or "up next", people are incensed that they weren't given enough notice.

They have the unenviable task of trying to satiate the forum's collective hunger for information. If we look at where we are now and compare it to even last year, I don't really think we have much to complain about.
  • Options
    JamzDatt wrote: »
    Y'know, part of it could be that they want the increase in traffic on the forums. Not announcing Thrawn on the calendar creates a frenzy of posts about whether he's actually coming back or not, in addition to the posts that Kozi responded to, basically saying that Thrawn would be back.

They were essentially in a no win situation, as they find themselves in frequently. If they put him on the calendar with a date, and then for whatever reason, that date doesn't work, people will gripe. If they put him on with no date, people would still complain that they need to know when. And if they do what they did, and just hint that he will be back soon, or "up next", people are incensed that they weren't given enough notice.

They have the unenviable task of trying to satiate the forum's collective hunger for information. If we look at where we are now and compare it to even last year, I don't really think we have much to complain about.

A mobile gaming forum - I'm sure they have thick skin. And complaints are a great way to get feedback and info. That doesn't mean every complaint has merit but shouldn't be disregarded either. Devs and community managers are at a severe disadvantage than we are. They can't voice disproval- we can.

• Options

He basically stated it...someone asked him about Thrawn coming back in October and he stated that not everything in on the calendar.

Kozi is a she or whatever pronoun she wants to use. Yep I get it. My complaint or spotlight is not on the thrawn event itself. But why go all around the subject when could've just stated - thrawn returns.

You are right..my mistake on Kozi.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

Maybe I'm inferring too much, but in this case it appears that the return of Thrawn, and the Phoenix Zeta info were tied together. They meant to give that information out at the same time, and one wasn't ready yet. Yesterday when the videos about the Phoenix Zetas were out the forum had a post saying that part of the wording was being revised or something like that. That's a long way to say I think the Phoenix stuff was getting nailed down until the last minute before it was announced, and that was holding up the Thrawn announcement.
  • Options

Maybe I'm inferring too much, but in this case it appears that the return of Thrawn, and the Phoenix Zeta info were tied together. They meant to give that information out at the same time, and one wasn't ready yet. Yesterday when the videos about the Phoenix Zetas were out the forum had a post saying that part of the wording was being revised or something like that. That's a long way to say I think the Phoenix stuff was getting nailed down until the last minute before it was announced, and that was holding up the Thrawn announcement.

You're fine. I love the feedback and yea totally plausible. My main argument/gripe will always be communication and treating the forums as a community so whatever I can do to showcase that I'm going to.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    No disagreement there. I will always be in favor of more info/communication. I think this situation wasn't too bad, and that communication has gotten better. But overall I'm always in favor of more info.
  • Boooo
    106 posts Member
    Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    We all got the hint and we all knew he would be back at some time. I farmed them since the last event as I was not going to miss him in the next one. Hope I farmed enough!

I'm in the exact boat as you - fingers crossed for a 7* Thrawn. I have been patiently busy with Phoenix.
  • Options
    No disagreement there. I will always be in favor of more info/communication. I think this situation wasn't too bad, and that communication has gotten better. But overall I'm always in favor of more info.

Same. There's no pitchforks here. Just a spotlight lol
  • Options
    I understand the surprise factor, but this discredits their own calendar. Nobody will trust that event announcement topic.
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    Options
    Some times tho you have to accept that the devs dont want to lay everything out in exact detail of who and when and where. Its a game, they seem to like to drop hints and watch the community figure it out. The first time the event came out they said thrawn could return at anytime or something alomg those lines insinuating a "surprise" return. Plus the rise from the ashes hint.