Why did Cassian kill the informant?

Prev1
At the beginning of Rogue One, Cassian kills the guy he is getting information from. Why? That did not make any sense to me.

Replies

• DingoAteMyBaby
    12 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    He was jealous of his jacket
  • His informant had too much information and was already injured. The stormtroopers would've probably interrogated him and followed it back to Cassian.
  • ExarTheKun wrote: »
    His informant had too much information and was already injured. The stormtroopers would've probably interrogated him and followed it back to Cassian.

What he said, the guy could barely walk, let alone escape the stormtroopers, he would get caught and give up the information about the pilot who defected. Too much at risk, had to do it.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Because the writers wanted to fool the audience into thinking he had a personality. Also because they knew fans would be like “OMG han did the saaaaaaaame thing in ANH!! That means i like this boring character!”
  • Imo that was the 'strongest' sceen in all star wars, it shows the sacrifices rebels had to make, you can see the look in his face, he didn't wanna do it but he had no choice
  • He took number 1 in cassian's arena shard.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Because the writers wanted to fool the audience into thinking he had a personality. Also because they knew fans would be like “OMG han did the saaaaaaaame thing in ANH!! That means i like this boring character!”

What?
  • DatBoi wrote: »

When did han kill an informant? He killed a bounty hunter Greedo.

Good, let the hate flow.
  • Because he just learned his own ship was needed to unlock thrawn’s capital ship
  • ExarTheKun wrote: »
    His informant had too much information and was already injured. The stormtroopers would've probably interrogated him and followed it back to Cassian.

This. He couldn't save him and didn't want the Empire getting the knowledge. Ruthless, but neccessary.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Side protagonist is shown at the beginning of the film to have questionable moral values by murdering an acquaintance from work in order to protect themselves. Throughout the film, side protagonist stubbornly insists on making self serving actions but by the end of the movie has learned to care for his friends.

The problem with this is that unlike Han, Cassian has absolutely no charisma or likable qualities. He’s a sad, boring ***hole with a forced, unoriginal arc that has no payoff. Also, very little of this arc is conveyed visually and is rather verbally explained to the viewer (not that han’s arc isn’t exposited with dialogue but ford’s performance sells it because he has more than one facial expression).

• crzydroid
    7296 posts Moderator
    He was super twitchy and panicking, and would have got them both captured or killed.
  • A deep cover agent who kills his informants because "they know too much" is not going to gain the trust necessary for other informants to tell him what they know. They were both working for the Resistance. One does not kill one's allies and hope to rally others to the cause. The unwarranted ruthless killing of a whom we must assume trusted him is immediately confusing and makes him untrustworthy and unlikable. Why should we side with this Rebel Scum if they are just as bad, if not worse, than the totalitarian Empire they are trying to overthrow?

It did not make sense. You don't kill your allies, especially in the name of such a noble cause as "restoring freedom to the galaxy." The ends do not justify the means.

It seems the only reason for this scene was to set up Cassian's speech prior to stealing the Imperial shuttle for their clandestine mission to Scarif. His band of rogues wanted to go to atone for the sins they had committed in the name of the Rebellion. They needed to show a sin that required absolution. The problem here is that there was no moral ambiguity with his cold-blooded murder. The scene was rushed, undeveloped, and counter-productive to both the audience and Cassian's supposed role as a deep cover agent.

At least it made sense when Han shot Greedo. Perhaps ruthless, but understandable when staring down a blaster barrel of your enemy. Cassian didn't even try to help his friend, just shot him and ran away like a kitten.
  • Cause he's Mexican
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    A deep cover agent who kills his informants because "they know too much" is not going to gain the trust necessary for other informants to tell him what they know. They were both working for the Resistance. One does not kill one's allies and hope to rally others to the cause. The unwarranted ruthless killing of a whom we must assume trusted him is immediately confusing and makes him untrustworthy and unlikable. Why should we side with this Rebel Scum if they are just as bad, if not worse, than the totalitarian Empire they are trying to overthrow?

It did not make sense. You don't kill your allies, especially in the name of such a noble cause as "restoring freedom to the galaxy." The ends do not justify the means.

It seems the only reason for this scene was to set up Cassian's speech prior to stealing the Imperial shuttle for their clandestine mission to Scarif. His band of rogues wanted to go to atone for the sins they had committed in the name of the Rebellion. They needed to show a sin that required absolution. The problem here is that there was no moral ambiguity with his cold-blooded murder. The scene was rushed, undeveloped, and counter-productive to both the audience and Cassian's supposed role as a deep cover agent.

At least it made sense when Han shot Greedo. Perhaps ruthless, but understandable when staring down a blaster barrel of your enemy. Cassian didn't even try to help his friend, just shot him and ran away like a kitten.

I miss being able to upvote
  • A deep cover agent who kills his informants because "they know too much" is not going to gain the trust necessary for other informants to tell him what they know. They were both working for the Resistance. One does not kill one's allies and hope to rally others to the cause. The unwarranted ruthless killing of a whom we must assume trusted him is immediately confusing and makes him untrustworthy and unlikable. Why should we side with this Rebel Scum if they are just as bad, if not worse, than the totalitarian Empire they are trying to overthrow?

I agree completely, that scene ruined Cassian's character for me because his performance and personality in the rest of the movie did not match that of this scene. I was hoping for a ruthless antihero, yet we got five main characters with little to no personality or traits (Jyn, Cassian, Bodhi, Baze, Chirrut). I liked Jyn and Chirrut, despite the fact that they could have used more character development; though Cassian was the most underdeveloped.
    A deep cover agent who kills his informants because "they know too much" is not going to gain the trust necessary for other informants to tell him what they know. They were both working for the Resistance. One does not kill one's allies and hope to rally others to the cause. The unwarranted ruthless killing of a whom we must assume trusted him is immediately confusing and makes him untrustworthy and unlikable. Why should we side with this Rebel Scum if they are just as bad, if not worse, than the totalitarian Empire they are trying to overthrow?

I miss being able to upvote

Upvoting was toxic kitten waste
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • I opened this thread expecting a joke. Here's my punchline:

Because he refused to go rogue.
  • No one has mentioned the obvious reason for the scene.
    They had to establish that Cassian is willing to kill a "good guy" so that the audience would believe that he would go through with killing Galen Erso. Of course, if you have half a brain you still didn't buy it for a second.

And if you're like me you didn't care which of the cardboard cutout characters lived or died anyway.
  • TNT1138 wrote: »
    No one has mentioned the obvious reason for the scene.
    They had to establish that Cassian is willing to kill a "good guy" so that the audience would believe that he would go through with killing Galen Erso. Of course, if you have half a brain you still didn't buy it for a second.

And if you're like me you didn't care which of the cardboard cutout characters lived or died anyway.

Point well taken, the Galen Erso element was also an important reason for our violent introduction to Cassian. Ironically, the moral ambiguity was much more prevalent in the Erso scenario than it was in the initial scene. His motive for eliminating Erso was clearer, we could see the benefit to his removal whether or not we believe he was forced into service and therefore innocent of willful intent to commit genocide.

The moral dilemma here is obvious and therefore much more compelling. Unfortunately, it is also a shallow attempt to create drama which feels more like revenge than strategic necessity, undermining the supposed intent of the Rebellion. What exactly is the point to assassinating Galen? The Death Star has already been built, killing him now solves nothing. Would it not make more sense to try to kidnap him instead of kill? Snatch him out of there for interrogation and you might get some critical information, like HOW TO DESTROY THE THING. Kill him and you get nothing, other than some sick satisfaction that you murdered only one of the many scientists responsible for designing the battle station. If they had succeeded, what have they accomplished other than proving they are willing to murder innocents "for the greater good." Again, this is a stance we expect from a totalitarian regime, not a movement for freedom.

I understand what they were trying to create, that they were building Cassian up as an anti-hero in search of redemption for the atrocities he had committed in the name of the Rebellion. But what they ended up with just did not hold up very well. His behavior was too confusing to me and I ended up wondering what in the galaxy was going on for much of the film because of it.

Despite all of that, I mostly enjoyed the film the third time I watched it.
    I opened this thread expecting a joke. Here's my punchline:
    Because he refused to go rogue.

lol
  • Incase you didn't know Cassian is a bad dude

Side protagonist is shown at the beginning of the film to have questionable moral values by murdering an acquaintance from work in order to protect themselves. Throughout the film, side protagonist stubbornly insists on making self serving actions but by the end of the movie has learned to care for his friends.

The problem with this is that unlike Han, Cassian has absolutely no charisma or likable qualities. He’s a sad, boring ***hole with a forced, unoriginal arc that has no payoff. Also, very little of this arc is conveyed visually and is rather verbally explained to the viewer (not that han’s arc isn’t exposited with dialogue but ford’s performance sells it because he has more than one facial expression).

Yup. This. The only reason I enjoyed Rogue One really was the final Vader scene, which apparently some people have problems with too. But come on, it was awesome. And totally worth sitting through an otherwise mediocre movie.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    SwiftMooky wrote: »

Yup. This. The only reason I enjoyed Rogue One really was the final Vader scene, which apparently some people have problems with too. But come on, it was awesome. And totally worth sitting through an otherwise mediocre movie.

I dont have a problem with the vader scene in and of itself, my problem is that the best part of the movie didn’t involve anything original. It just exploited your nostalgia. Somebody who isn’t a huge fan of star wars wouldn’t really care about that scene. Like the rest of the movie, its nothing more than star wars p*rn that’ll get the fanboys off.
  • I feel that the Vader scene would work best if Rogue One was the last Star Wars movie ever made, therefore bringing the series full circle. I feel that releasing it in the middle of the sequel trilogy era was a mistake.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I feel that the Vader scene would work best if Rogue One was the last Star Wars movie ever made, therefore bringing the series full circle. I feel that releasing it in the middle of the sequel trilogy era was a mistake.
    We’ll be dead before we see the last star wars movie

Are you sane?
    I feel that the Vader scene would work best if Rogue One was the last Star Wars movie ever made, therefore bringing the series full circle. I feel that releasing it in the middle of the sequel trilogy era was a mistake.
    We’ll be dead before we see the last star wars movie

I hope so :)
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    ElleMadara wrote: »

Are you sane?
    Would i know if i wasn’t?

I agree with this post 100%.

After this intro it would have taken a lot for the filmmakers to win me back over to liking Cassian. They weren't able to.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu