Thrawn event help

Can't beat last tier of Thrawn event. Read a few tips from people who 7 starred him last time around and they had Phoenix at gear 8 and used ok mods. My Phoenix squad are gear 8 almost at gear 9 with ok mods and I can't even put a dent in the last battle. Using Hera as lead and not using chopper at all. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Use chopper
  • It's impossible you need more then g8 toons now. Anyone who says else wise has them zetad or god modded. They also reworked thrawns AI so he is not a dummy. You might have been able to do it last time but it's been upgraded and updated. I'm in the same boat. Plus I'd say they are the hardest to gear as their requirements are better used on arena toons.
  • Zevox
    172 posts Member
    You need to open by dispeling the taunt with Ezra (or Chopper). Then Zeb and Sabine need to get stagger onto the Death Troopers so their special buff goes away, otherwise they'll tear you apart. From there, kill the Death Troopers, then the Commanders, then the Stormtrooper, then finally Thrawn.

Ezra and Sabine's job is doing damage to whatever you're trying to kill - but the others' job is making sure the team survives. Hera and Zeb should work together to stun Thrawn whenever Hera's not putting Backup Plan on someone (remember Zeb can stun off of Expose if Hera lands it, so they can do this even when she doesn't have her assist call handy), as he's the biggest threat but can't be killed quickly, so controlling him makes a big difference. Kanan should taunt ASAP, remember to use Kanan and Zeb's protection up when someone needs a little durability boost. Above all, Zeb needs to live. If he dies, you lose a big chunk of protection on everyone from his unique, and you no longer get his protection regen. You won't last long without that.

Speaking of, if you haven't yet, omegaing Kanan and Zeb's uniques helps a lot. Kanan's means more counter attacks and more healing when you're hit with debuffs, and Zeb's is a significant durability boost.
  • HB0MBZ wrote: »
    It's impossible you need more then g8 toons now. Anyone who says else wise has them zetad or god modded. They also reworked thrawns AI so he is not a dummy. You might have been able to do it last time but it's been upgraded and updated. I'm in the same boat. Plus I'd say they are the hardest to gear as their requirements are better used on arena toons.

untrue, I finished my 7* this morning with a full g8 pheonix, i had to switch my arena mods over yet i have very few over 10 speed. as was just posted the trick is to despell the taunt as quickly as possible then DPS the deathtroopers off quickly, wait for the first fracture then taunt with kanan, if you can manage to get the deathtroopers down with most of your team alive you're looking good. its a big RNG game took me 17 tries to get set up right but it is possible. omegad uniques but no zetas.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Beeastman wrote: »
    HB0MBZ wrote: »
    It's impossible you need more then g8 toons now. Anyone who says else wise has them zetad or god modded. They also reworked thrawns AI so he is not a dummy. You might have been able to do it last time but it's been upgraded and updated. I'm in the same boat. Plus I'd say they are the hardest to gear as their requirements are better used on arena toons.

untrue, I finished my 7* this morning with a full g8 pheonix, i had to switch my arena mods over yet i have very few over 10 speed. as was just posted the trick is to despell the taunt as quickly as possible then DPS the deathtroopers off quickly, wait for the first fracture then taunt with kanan, if you can manage to get the deathtroopers down with most of your team alive you're looking good. its a big RNG game took me 17 tries to get set up right but it is possible. omegad uniques but no zetas.

I just can't believe it chap. not that i'm calling you a liar but I just don't believe that's possible. I got +115 on hera and +100 on ezra with 216% CD and not even taking the DT's down.

• I used Ezra at G11 and the rest at G8 with some mods.

https://swgoh.gg/u/terrus/collection/?f=phoenix

I used the team without Chopper.
  • It took 6 battles but I was able to do it. Crappy mods, but ezra and chopper are g10 and the rest were g8.
  • It took a lot of tries, like 3 hours straight, I ran Hera (g8) Zeb (g8) Ezra (g9) Chopper (g9) and Kanaan (g8) and beat tier 7 with 2 stars. Mods could have been better, but it seemed like I either got destroyed or sailed pretty smoothly. It's totally luck or RNG as they say.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    G10 Ezra, and the rest were G9. 7*, 85, but without omega abilities and with average mods. (Didn’t use Sabine.) Tried twice and failed. Put an omega on every unique, and then beat it in one attempt.
  • Dax
    1 posts Member
    It is totally possible guys, just keep trying. I did 7* with Hera and Kanan G8 and rest was G7 and avarage mods, had all omegas tho
  • You guys beating him with G8 Phoenix chars gives me hope. Only problem is my guys are level 78-80, and I'm worried that those extra 5 to 7 levels might make a big difference.
  • I managed with Hera, chopper, zeb, Kanan and Ezra on,y Ezra gIX rest gVIII.
    This was outlined in another post but I used 220spd on chopper and 195 in Ezra with the rest 125+
    The trick is really to control the fight, don’t worry about pace or dmg just control
    If you use only basic all the way to thrawn Ezra will have max stacks then try to take the first fracture on Kanan and use backup plan in whoever took it
    Next cleanse the taunt, kill deathtroopers, cleanse taunt kill deathtroopers then magma save thrawn for last

I finished with full health and full prot on almost all
  • TheoPatino
    100 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Beat with all g8, using the guide here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/137598/beat-7-thrawn-with-this-g8-team All credit to the writer of this great guide. My characters and mods. https://swgoh.gg/u/theopatino/
  • The baddies in the last stage are super fast. To counter that, you can either be faster (meaning really good speed mods), or be tough enough to absorb the first hits and get your team moving. I took the latter approach, but it relies on RNG. You reeealy want Thrawn to fracture Kanan, or maybe Chopper. Then, dispel the taunt and beat away at the Deathtroopers. They hurt. I had to deal with taunts from Storm a couple of times, so I tried to keep my own taunt and backup plan up on kanan so I could dispel with Ezra and chopper. Once the troopers are down, kill the commanders, then thrawn. I had:

Hera g9/lv 85/random mods
    Ezra g10/lv 85/mediocre arena mods (150 speed)
    Kanan g9/lv 85/mediocre mods
    Zeb G8/lv 85/mediocre mods
    Chopper G8/lv 85/mediocre mods

All omegas, no zetas, all mods lv 15
  • At this point I'm sure it's possible. I know some people who have gotten it with a worse team than mine. To get this done consistently, you need good mods and high gear level.

People who got it on their first or second time, just shut up already. You got lucky and have no idea how lucky you got. It's not skill, it's RNG. Yes, many of us know what Phoenix abilites give... we know the synergies, we aren't dumb.

I absolutely hate that it took me two months to prep this and I'm still struggling... all because this poor excuse for a company has gated all toons behind stun cuffs, and the stupid carbanti pieces of crap...

I want to quit this game so bad, but I'm too far in. I might dishonorably rage quit if I don't get Thrawn though... no honor, and I'd regret it, but it will feel so good to hit delete on this game someday soon.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    You guys beating him with G8 Phoenix chars gives me hope. Only problem is my guys are level 78-80, and I'm worried that those extra 5 to 7 levels might make a big difference.

I just did it with level 80's and chopper at level 68! all gear 8. the key is running zeb fast with high potency. I do have decent mods to be fair.

zeb is entirely the key to this whole thing, aside from ezra's dps. here's a short guide with some specifics rather than everyone saying 'it can be done at gear 8':

1. you need chopper's TM at 80%+ going into P4.
    2. you need both DT's to use their special first (rng)
    3. dispel taunter with chopper
    4. taunt immediately with kannen
    5. stagger ONE of the DT's with Zeb
    6. use a hera/ezra assist with zeb to stun and reduce that DT's TM to zero
    7. then immediately go to work on the DT that still has the buff, kill him asap
    8. whilst doing this, ensure hera and ezra are calling zeb at every opportunity on this DT, ensuring he's constantly stunned
    9. kill the other DT
    10. make sure you keep thrawn stunned with zeb basic and hera/ezra calling assists for the rest of the battle
    11. kill taunter
    12. kill healers
    13. kill thrawn

other notes:

- keep ezra's dispel in the bank as long as the taunter is alive. don't be lured into using it to gain TM until after the taunter is dead, even then only use it when thrawn is stunned
    - you will need to alternate taunt between kannen and chopper as often as possible
    - for kannen's next turn after taunt, if ezra is debuffed, cleanse him so that he gets his 80% counter chance back
    - don't automatically put back up plan on the taunter, it's better to see how it develops i.e. they may get fractured and taunt remove shortly after and you've wasted back up plan. with enough attempts you'll learn when you need to use it.

good luck!

• HB0MBZ wrote: »
    Untrue across the board, except for them fixing his AI. I beat it with g8 and my fastest character was Ezra at 171, Hera at 150. Stop using Sabine--she's an excellent character in general, but this isn't arena or galactic war. This match isn't about alpha striking one enemy and leveraging that to brute force the rest of the way.

This is a long match that needs a long-term strategy and patience. You need to use all of your abilities, especially the ones that aren't attacks but give Protection Up to your taunting ally. You need Chopper's 15% protection up when hit to mitigate the incoming damage. Sabine will get you killed because all she brings to the table is damage.

Use the strategy quoted below, it's how I did it.
    TheoPatino wrote: »
    Beat with all g8, using the guide here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/137598/beat-7-thrawn-with-this-g8-team All credit to the writer of this great guide. My characters and mods. https://swgoh.gg/u/theopatino/

Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • SMA1001
    1 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Ok, finally beat the stinkin event. Figured I'd come here to share what I did to hopefully help others. I don't have much time do this will be short. Let me know if you want any details.
    My team did not include sabine. All my toons are gear 8, half way to g9. No zeta. I tried several attempts using mods to boost speed, but by the time I took out the death troopers, I was too weak to have a prayer. So I decided to try upping my teams protection since they do a good job of replinishing it. The first try I failed but I did see an improvement. The second attempt was a success. My toons were between 11000-15000 protection (15000 on chopper). I tried to stick to mostly health and defence mods. I kept most of my arrow mods as they were previously with 26-30 speed on each ( I had 3 or 4 of these to go around). If you don't have these, stick with protection mods.
    I auto'd through the first 2 rounds and used basic attacks through the 3rd round. For the fourth, I used basic attacks on ST till his taunt ran out then dispelled and killed DT'S. While doing that, I put revive on fractured toon and taunted with chopper. Keep his defense up with Ezra. When chopper got fractured, I put revive on him and used zorro's taunt. After DTs, take out STs.
    I had all 5 toons at the end. Only chopper needed revived. The only time I got a stun to land was once on a DT. Make sure you keep your protection up through the battle. The fight took a while but was worth ending my frustration. GL.
    Post edited by SMA1001 on
  • Finally beat it yesterday. Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • ive tried beating it with 8 tier gear on all members and can manage to get thrawn down to about 3/4 health but still using only level 80 characters. I first of all ensure that chopper takes the first fracture then taunt after with kanan as he can take much more(fracture knock him out to soon) then have the stormtrooper taunt removed by ezra. start to lay into one death trooper then knock out the other. i then went for the healers, then finished the taunt. finally going for thrawn but at this point he seems to take everyone out so i might see how i go when i get them to 85. but since i can do so much as is i feel like itll be fine to take him down with the extra 5 levels each character
  • soon to get my attack up cause most only around 6 or 7 with ezra omega

• level 83 with 8 tier gear is possible with some pretty good mods on, focused a lot on speed and health(didnt use sabine)