A Few Questions(New Player)

TideWarrior
90 posts Member
edited October 2017
I will preface this by saying my son plays the game and I will with him from time to time but he started the game about middle of August and since he plays it everyday(at least to do the dailies) so I started watching him since it is my IPad and he plays while in my office at the house. But I have some questions as he seems to enjoy it and I want to make sure he is heading into the direction. He just hit level 65.

1) He really does not care about rankings in the squad arena but enjoys it. He stays in the 300 range and either wins or draws with his current team make-up. Is there really any value other then collecting the currency of trying to move up the rankings? Crystals I guess are nice but once a week I get him the $20 bundle and he only does the 5 daily arena fights. Unless we invest in the game financially not really sure what the point of moving up in the rankings when the top teams are all the same for the meta for his server and they seemed to put a lot of money into it.

2) Galactic War he really enjoys but probably needs to learn to mix it up as he has struggled lately with certain group make-ups. Usually he is able to complete it but the last three days was destroyed on the 9th node and each time the team was level 75 to 80 geared out pretty well. Before that it was either the 11th or 12th node would be the hardest. The last time he actually was doing well against a sith squad of Vader, DNihilus, Kylo, Sid, and Dooku. He killed everyone but Dooku and somehow Dooku wiped his whole squad out by every time he did damage he healed himself and with so many bonus attacks no way to out pace him with his squad. Sort of funny but not. Are there specific nodes that will always be harder or is it random? Also will squad make-up depend on who your are fighting or can one squad if done right complete it on a regular basis?

3) Fleet arena he really enjoys and stays within the top 20 will no problem. It helps I let him get a couple of ship bundles but he really enjoys it. The problem though now is leveling up the toons he uses to fly ships so they have greater power. Which toons and ships should he focus on? I assume he should continue working on Boba, Wedge, and Biggs as he has their ships and they seem good in other aspects of the game plus he is working on Vader's ship.

4) Guilds-This is one I am not sure what the value is for him. One as I have been in many guilds and understand what the requirements but also concerned with who he may be chatting with I have my reservations of him joining one. So what is the real value for him joining? He is only 7 and his time is limited when he plays do to school and competing in 2 sports this fall. Also why can he not start his on guild? I have read how to but the option is not there in his guild panel.

5) Last question- He is trying to determine how to proceed for his toons. He is finishing up the last mod battles and has completed the dark side and light side battles for his level. He only has 1 7* toon(Luminara) and has Ezra, Kanan, Ezra, Ahsoka T, Boba Fett, and JC at 6*. He also has Biggs, Shore, Old Obi, Barriss, Asajj, and Ashoka F 5* with many of them close to their 6*, Vader is almost 6* and Chirrut halfway to 5*. All those toons are geared to level 7 & 8(I would say in the next week or so the way he is farming for gear they will all be at least gear 8). Are any of those toons not worth advancing any farther? Meaning really no end game value, but Ashoka and JC add value to their ships being a higher level and geared out I have noticed in the fleet. Also should he at this point he focus on gear, mods, and/or stars?

Again sorry for the long post but it appears he may stay with it for a while and I want to give him some direction as not to get frustrated with the game. So far it is a very cheap hobby unlike my daughter who is 9 and just made her 1st MTG legacy deck for tourny play. Not sure getting her into MTG was the right move but she enjoys it.
Post edited by Ambassador on

Replies

• Options
    I will preface this by saying my son plays the game and I will with him from time to time but he started the game about middle of August and since he plays it everyday(at least to do the dailies) so I started watching him since it is my IPad and he plays while in my office at the house. But I have some questions as he seems to enjoy it and I want to make sure he is heading into the direction. He just hit level 65.

1) He really does not care about rankings in the squad arena but enjoys it. He stays in the 300 range and either wins or draws with his current team make-up. Is there really any value other then collecting the currency of trying to move up the rankings? Crystals I guess are nice but once a week I get him the $20 bundle and he only does the 5 daily arena fights. Unless we invest in the game financially not really sure what the point of moving up in the rankings when the top teams are all the same for the meta for his server and they seemed to put a lot of money into it.

2) Galactic War he really enjoys but probably needs to learn to mix it up as he has struggled lately with certain group make-ups. Usually he is able to complete it but the last three days was destroyed on the 9th node and each time the team was level 75 to 80 geared out pretty well. Before that it was either the 11th or 12th node would be the hardest. The last time he actually was doing well against a sith squad of Vader, DNihilus, Kylo, Sid, and Dooku. He killed everyone but Dooku and somehow Dooku wiped his whole squad out by every time he did damage he healed himself and with so many bonus attacks no way to out pace him with his squad. Sort of funny but not. Are there specific nodes that will always be harder or is it random? Also will squad make-up depend on who your are fighting or can one squad if done right complete it on a regular basis?

3) Fleet arena he really enjoys and stays within the top 20 will no problem. It helps I let him get a couple of ship bundles but he really enjoys it. The problem though now is leveling up the toons he uses to fly ships so they have greater power. Which toons and ships should he focus on? I assume he should continue working on Boba, Wedge, and Biggs as he has their ships and they seem good in other aspects of the game plus he is working on Vader's ship.

4) Guilds-This is one I am not sure what the value is for him. One as I have been in many guilds and understand what the requirements but also concerned with who he may be chatting with I have my reservations of him joining one. So what is the real value for him joining? He is only 7 and his time is limited when he plays do to school and competing in 2 sports this fall. Also why can he not start his on guild? I have read how to but the option is not there in his guild panel.

5) Last question- He is trying to determine how to proceed for his toons. He is finishing up the last mod battles and has completed the dark side and light side battles for his level. He only has 1 7* toon(Luminara) and has Ezra, Kanan, Ezra, Ahsoka T, **** Fett, and JC at 6*. He also has Biggs, Shore, Old Obi, Barriss, Asajj, and Ashoka F 5* with many of them close to their 6*, Vader is almost 6* and Chirrut halfway to 5*. All those toons are geared to level 7 & 8(I would say in the next week or so the way he is farming for gear they will all be at least gear 8). Are any of those toons not worth advancing any farther? Meaning really no end game value, but Ashoka and JC add value to their ships being a higher level and geared out I have noticed in the fleet. Also should he at this point he focus on gear, mods, and/or stars?

Again sorry for the long post but it appears he may stay with it for a while and I want to give him some direction as not to get frustrated with the game. So far it is a very cheap hobby unlike my daughter who is 9 and just made her 1st MTG legacy deck for tourny play. Not sure getting her into MTG was the right move but she enjoys it.

Ok I am going to answer this as straight to the point as possible.

1) Ranking high in arena is only good for some gems on the side and the ability to get high priority toons such as Leia and ST Han.

2) Galactic war has some clear issues in my opinion but the best tip i can give is to build up multiple squads opposed to one solid squad. Also, Luminara, Jedi Consular, and Barriss are great here.

3) You nailed it. Focus on Boba, Wedge, Biggs, Maul, Ahsoka, and Vader. Fives can be helpful along with FO Tie pilot. i would highly recommend Tie Pilot(empire not FO) if he plans on doing raids in the future. (I mean both the ship and toon in these suggestions.)

4) No clue why he cannot start his own guild sorry. But the main use for guilds is gear and shards. From guild activities you can get currency to buy more character shards and gear. All characters NEED gear that can only be acquired from raids (gear for rank XIII i believe) Also guildmates that give you free gear daily are nice.

5) This is huge. Because so many toons are important i am going to list off names. message me if you would like a more in depth explanation. Cantina Battles: Geo Soldier, Lando, Tie Pilot, Wedge, Kylo(Wedge being most important because wedge+biggs is killer) Cantina Store: Boba and qui gon, Arena Store: ST Han, Leia, Tarkin, Sidious, Savage(Tarkin for fleet challenges for zeta mats and Leia/han for commander luke who is top tier in literally everything) Galactic war store: Biggs, Phasma, then ships(phasma exclusively for her solid leader ability)(teebo and zeb may be important after what i just stated) can't think of anyone else right now but feel free to message me if you need more info

sorry for the heck ton of reading/typos
  • Options
    If you set your son's age accurately in the game, then he can't use the in-game chat. I believe it's restricted to age 12+ or 13+. If he joins a guild, he can play and get loot from raids & territory battles but he won't be able to see any rules or instructions that are given out by the guild leaders in the chat. Which can be problematic and may lead to him getting kicked out of a few guilds before he finds one that relaxed enough that they don't mind if they have a little kid in their guild who can't see the chat & only makes sporadic contributions to guild activities.

Being unable to create a guild would also logically follow the lack of chat. If you create a guild, you're the leader, and you can't be much of a leader if you can't use the chat.
  • Weaver9000
    202 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    1. Pvp is just for crystals, fun and glory. No worries there. Nothing to miss out on.

2. Galactic war, typically every 3 nodes is slightly harder. Best bet is to start with weaker toon teams and fight till they die, that way his strong teams will be full protection/hp for hard ones.

3. Boba, wedge and biggs sound good to continue using. Tie fighter pilot is also good with vader/Tarkin.

4. Joing a guild gets you acess to raids. In turn that gets him raid gear which you can sometimes also buy with crystals. However you cannot buy General Kenobi, or Han Solo. Those are raid exclusive rewards. Territory Battles will also open up to allow access to hermit yoda, and the highest level gear. I'd say dont worry about it till he's higher level.

5. Phoenix squad in general get a lot of value in this game. There are 2 jedi (good for certain events) they have great sustain (good for galactic war), and also have ships. After them baze a chirrut are great toons to farm for all purpose.
    In terms of useful toons take a look at this website for what toons are needed for what events: https://swgohevents.com

In terms of what to focus on:
    Gear - actual stats
    Stars - some stats but mostly to qualify for events
    Mods- whole other thing.
  • Options
    1) Ranking high in PVP not just gives crystals, it also gives you the currency to buy characters such as Stormtrooper Han and Princess Leia(Which are both needed at 7* to unlock Commander Luke Skywalker). It also allows you to buy prestige which is used to improve Capital Ships for Fleet Arena(Not as important but I felt necessary to list for completeness sake). If he is just a casual player, and does not have a collect them all pokemon mentality, then ignoring Squad Arena is fine.

2) Later GW nodes are designed to be tougher than your best squad(Won't go into too much details so take this as a summarised version). I.e. Node 12 squad has 15% more Stat power than your 5 best characters. Again, if you are casual, you can ignore this, but it is a valuable source of credits and currency to buy ships and characters. Besides, you can retreat and retry the nodes with other squads so it's pretty much the 'best' game mode right now to mentally engage yourself when almost everything else in the game can be simmed and Arena only has 5 attempts a day.

3) Ships are currently pretty limited and the most effective and popular set ups I have seen involve a Target Locking team. Biggs to tank, Tie Advanced for TL on basic, Tie fighters (both) with TL on basic, Boba with TL on basic. Bistan ship has TL synergy and is viable too. Reinforcements usually are Scimitar/Umbaran.

4) High end guilds give you access to 2 raids, Rancor and HAAT, which will provide the gear needed to push your characters beyond G7/G8. They require significantly more dedication and coordination so I doubt a casual player is well suited. You can't create a guild with a child account.

5) If he really wants to become more competitive and needs a good guide to the game, this is the best one I know, and is updated quite regularly. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/86926/adaptive-f2p-guide

Good luck, have fun. And guessing from your daughter's enthusiasm towards MTG, I highly suspect your son will not just stay with swgoh, but also increase his participation eventually.
  • Options
    As pricey as some of the packs are, it's pennies compared to playing legacy Magic. Yikes.
  • Options
    But at least by playing competative magic you can win some money back!
  • Options
    Thinks for all the replies and will definitely get him to start farming Lea and STH. He also is working on Lando, Dooku, and almost has Baze unlocked. For ships he also has both Ties and their pilots but needs to level them up for better value. Right now in Fleet iirc he starts with Biggs, Wedge, Poe, Ashoka, and JC and all those ship are 3 or 4* and then his reinforcements are Fett(4* ship) and Cassian(4* ship). Once he gets the Ties up to par maybe put them in there in the first wave.

Phoenix Squad will also work on since he likes the series. Plus with besides Ezra and Kanan already 6* he has the other 4 already between 3 & 5*, so not to possibly get them farmed and ready for the next Thrawn event in the future.

He also plays SW X-Wing at the local gaming store. He loves anything Star Wars and for 3 Halloweens has been Darth Vader.

In regards to MTG at least most of the cards she needed for her Eldrazi Aggro deck I had so the initial cost was limited as the same for Modern as she plays with my burn deck.

It is all fun and they enjoy it.

• Carth_Onassi1973
    1706 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eldrazi is one of my favorite decks to play. That, and the old school blue counter/control/keep deck.

Sorry for going off topic lol!

MTG player since 1994
  • Options
    I played in the 90's while in the Corps but took a break. Once I started teaching at the college some students got me back into it. Glad I kept all my old cards. If I play legacy I use storm or elfball, but now a days I like EDH the most unless doing tournys/FNM with my daughter.