Thrawn event is a colossal waste of time

Prev1
Thrawn is great, blah blah blah. You can beat if you play the RNG odds. Blah blah blah

I guess I'm just throwing a temper tantrum. Just reading posts, if you attemp 100-200 times, the RNG will be in your favor and you can win. Who has that kinda time!?! I play games for fun. Not mind numbing repetition and ultimate frustration. I know CG could care less. All they want is to sell packs to the Fan boys that are dumping wicked cash.

Replies

• It’s strategy, mods and gear level more than anything. I kept tweaking and eventually got it. My post on this thread for thrawn best practices should help.
  • It’s strategy, mods and gear level more than anything. I kept tweaking and eventually got it. My post on this thread for thrawn best practices should help.

We pretty much don't care about advices at this time in the game. After remaining with four characters alone with Thrawn, and after being hit five times by Zeb with no stunning taking place, in the meantime eliminating all my team, I was surprised to find at the restart that the elite Stormtroopers in the first wave we're harder to kill. Probably RNG, most likely programing. The pilots too, and the DT from the third wave too. Probably my mods and gear were worn-out from all that grinding...
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    I struggled seriously too. Finally changed mods a little and found correct kill order thanks to a post on here... Beat it 20 min later. This was just a couple hours ago so i know where you're at but don't give up.

My team had 2 g9 rest g8. And no ezra...
  • I played that game the first time Thrawn came around.

If you enjoy putting the least amount of effort it, go for it.

This time I had all Phoenix toons 85 and omega'd and at least G8 with Ezra and Sabine at G10 with good mods and the the ability to get Hera to G9 if needed.

I beat it first try.

100+ tries? Moving around arena mods?
    Ain't nobody got time for that!
  • The Thrawn thread on Reddit was right on the money. All G8, no Sabine, omegas on their uniques, other abilites level 5/6, arena-tier mods (10+ speed secondaries, etc.) Kill order: DTs first, Thrawn last.

Took me two tries. The winning try ended with everyone alive, with most of their health & protection intact. Similar results have been reported by too many others for my run to be mere luck.
  • Ravib
    106 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Thrawn is great, blah blah blah. You can beat if you play the RNG odds. Blah blah blah

I guess I'm just throwing a temper tantrum. Just reading posts, if you attemp 100-200 times, the RNG will be in your favor and you can win. Who has that kinda time!?! I play games for fun. Not mind numbing repetition and ultimate frustration. I know CG could care less. All they want is to sell packs to the Fan boys that are dumping wicked cash.
    I feel your frustration. I could not get Thrawn either. I got one lucky battle after hundreds of tries. It can be done. You’re probably tired of hearing the same stuff about people beating it at g8. I agree with you also. This event is a waste of time, but it’s worth it.
    Here’s the squad that beat the event: https://swgoh.gg/u/ravib/collection/?f=phoenix
    I didn’t change anything.
    32zi141.png[/img]
  • It's mostly my fault as I colossally underestimated it. My crew is

Ezra GL9, the rest GL8. I've played 150+ times (apparently I have that kinda time) and I get my clock cleaned every time.

The most I got was both DTs and tank and then Thrawn one shots everyone. Evertime I get my a$$ handed to me, I feel CGs hands on my wallet. I refuse to spend any money on this pig. If I can't clear it so be it. Just way more frustrating than fun lately. Don't get me started on GW

I was exactly where you are (though Hera is g9 as well as Ezra) and kept getting totally rinsed. One time I got down to one Stormtrooper Commander and Thrawn but they destroyed my team easily.

Then I sat down with a bit of paper, looked up SWGOH.gg and moved my fastest mods onto Phoenix. Took about 25 minutes to hunt them all down and note down which one came from which toon.

When I tried the Thrawn event, I would say I got some pretty stinking RNG in wave 4, but I still finished it with ease. Your toons are strong enough - just get them to be as fast as possible and you'll finish it sharpish.
  • I did it with basically this team with the same gear levels but my Zeb, Hera and Chop were nowhere near that high nor did I have all the skills maxed out. There is definetely a skill aspect to it based on the order but at lower gear levels there is a ton of luck involved as well. You need all your counters to hit, you need your stuns to actually land, you need the fracture to hit a useless toon. You need choppers random buffs to be helpful. There is skill but you need everything to go right to really have a chance. The first an only time I got down to just Thrawn I was lucky enough to beat him. With Zeb and Hera left.
  • Mhmacleod
    194 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Help me out here, cos I just finished 6 of the most frustration days of my life and I know I'm about to see it all go away without anything to show for it except a strong pheonix team that I sunk loads into and can't use anywhere else in this game without the reminder pain of this event surfacing.
    Here's what I keep seeing: loads and loads of "it didn't work for me until i..."and then it's a wide bunch of things, from swapping mods to bringing in chopper (which I don't have) to all manner of gear levels, to zetas.
    But what I don't understand is, after trying all of these, and I have, how could we just explain away the fact that, given a sequence of any 4-5 enemies firing, someone dies, followed by any 3 or 4 after that?
    How could it be that suddenly, things like Thrawn blowing away someone on backup plan then immediately Fracturing him as he rezzes back, to death, stop happening? Mods don't magically remove that kind of lethality. Or...level 85. Or gear 9, 10... whatever - nothing, it seems, but RNG.
    That seems to be the only reason I could find where I can fight certain battles where Thrawn misses or buffs someone instead of constantly attacking and immediately slaughtering someone in a single hit, and I can take out a DT or 2...but eventually reality always returns and everyone resumes dying.
    I can see that it's not just me, all the threads in this section is about this ordeal, but the answers just don't explain it for me. I also see many who reply "thanks for the help, it worked" but I just don't see how! Just like that, "it" worked? What, really, is "it"?
  • One of the things I found was helpful was actually not using backup plan on the first fracture and instead taunting with the toon that wasnt fractured. This allowed me to survive it and allowed me to save Backup plan for another toon that took a ton of damage or was starting to get low on health with healing block on them. From there it was swapping taunts between Kanan and Chopper until Kanan got one shot with just Thrawn and a Storm trooper left. Quiet honestly for me it was so close near the end that if I didnt use Hera's assist ability on Zeb that landed a stun on him I wouldnt have made it. He would have killed me with only half his health left and honestly I wouldnt have tried it again because I never was even remotely close to beating this prior to that. So I feel everyones pain.
  • Problem with speed is that the speed secondaries are too hard to come by. I only had one +30 arrow and I put that on Ezra. The other 5 or 6 mods I had with speed were like 4 to 7 total so there wasnt much. I heard someone say they increased the difficulty of the event because they added Zeta's, but im not so sure thats the case. I will say I dont remember as many people having such a hard time the first time around but that could just be conjecture.
  • I don't get it either. I'm so discouraged. I've got whole squad at 85, omegas, good- great mods and thoughtful strategy. Still unable to beat it, truly unbelievable that others are able to get this with weaker teams using same strat. If rng is king then I've played enough for the odds to favour me just once. One should not need God mods, 1/6 specific toons and perfect rng for this. I paid my dues, got PS to 7* 85, g8+ to 9+. Sad to say I'm actually angry to not be rewarded for my hard work and see many supposedly get it with equal or less. smh
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Here's another trick in light of today's credit heist. Upgrade gray mods to lvl 3 (green). When a speed secondary shows up, upgrade it. Sell back those you don't want.

This will get you, at the most, 6 speed. This is not the way to get good speed secondaries.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I just popped one for +12 so not sure where you're getting 6. I agree this isn't the way to go long term. However if you're scrambling, it's as good as any.

If you got +12, it wasn't a gray mod (unless you're talking about a low star speed primary arrow). A gray mod can only get each secondary once, and the most you can get from a single speed secondary is 6. The only way to get more than that is to start with a speed secondary already on the mod at level 1, which means it's not gray.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Correction it was +10 not 12. However I've only upgraded to lvl 12.

It was a health data bus (circle) and most definitely a secondary. Can't remember what the initial speed was when I upgraded to level 3 (when 1 secondary appears). Think it might have been six to start with. However after upgrading to lvl12 it jumped to +10. Definitely more than 6.

You are missing my point. If it was 6 to start with then the mod wasn't gray. I never said you can't get more than 6 speed on a secondary. Of course you can. I said you can't get more than 6 speed on a secondary when the mod starts out gray. Because the post I was responding to suggested that people upgrade random gray mods to see if they get speed secondaries.

Upgrading mods that already have speed on them at level 1 is the right way to go. Upgrading gray mods (which, by definition, start with no secondaries) is not.
  • The event is hard because people refuse to do it with anything but the least amount of effort possible because they only ever listen to the forum **** about how phoenix is mudkips trash tier and not worth investing in at all.

To hell with that. Phoenix squad is fine. You won't finish in the top 10 with them, but they're a perfectly serviceable team that will do the job in any situation. If you've already got a solo team for each phase of HAAT, then sure, they're not needed for that--but whenever new content is announced you can guarantee that you're going to do alright if you use Phoenix.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm not missing your point! I just upgraded several gray mods (including the one in question). I upgraded all gray mods to level 3 (which is now green). Once I got a speed secondary, I upgraded again.

I can't recall what the initial speed secondary stat on the mod in question was. But once I got a speed secondary I then upgraded to level 12 which bumped the speed secondary to +10.

No. You didn't. Gray mods *don't have secondaries on them.* Please show me a single picture of a gray mod with a secondary on it. You can't. Because they don't exist.

You are just mistaken. If the mod had speed on it and the speed went up, it wasn't gray to start with. Maybe you mixed it up with another one that was already green. But what you are describing is not how mods work. IT CANNOT HAPPEN.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    You are obviously struggling with this concept.

1.) Take a gray mod with no secondary stat.
    2.) Upgrade said mod to lvl 3. It will turn green a secondary stat will appear . Cost is $14,750 credits.
    3.) If that secondary stat that has now appeared is speed, upgrade again.

If you do that. The speed that appears at level 3 CANNOT UPGRADE AGAIN. That's how mod works. You get a secondary at levels 3, 6, 9, and 12. Every mod must have 4 secondaries at level 12. That means that if you don't start out with any secondaries at level 1, no secondary can hit more than once. You cannot get speed for the first time at level 3 and then have it go up again.

You are the one struggling with the concept, not me.
  • You are obviously struggling with this concept.

1.) Take a gray mod with no secondary stat.
    2.) Upgrade said mod to lvl 3. It will turn green a secondary stat will appear . Cost is $14,750 credits.
    3.) If that secondary stat that has now appeared is speed, upgrade again.

On another note, FYI if you upgrade a gray mod all the way to level 15, a whole compliment random secondary stats appears.

Umm... No.

At levels 3, 6, 9, and 12, one of two things happens: a secondary stat appears, or a secondary stat upgrades. Every mod has to end up with 4 secondary stats. So if it starts with none, then at each of those levels, one appears.

Feel free to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPiX6Mnv7k