A suggestion to solve the Gear Issue

To a point I understand the issue that the Developers might be having with gear. They have an end point in mind for what the character’s stats should be like when maxed. They have the character’s base stats, and the character’s progression by levels and stars. In order to reach the end point for stats, that toon will require certain pieces of gear. If they want to toon to increase strength, for example, the toon will need mk3 carbantis. They can't take away the carbanti requirement, since the character then wouldn't reach the desired level of strength. If they take away the carbanti requirement and increase the character's base stats, the character may be unbalanced at different levels in the game.

I get that.

But the obvious outcome is the current situation that everybody is having. For example, I just looked at my gear 10 Ahsoka, gear 8 Ezra, gear 9 General Kenobi, gear 8 Bariss, and Hermit Yoda, and discovered that I needed more than 600 more carbantis, 250 black ball implant prototypes, 600 stun cuffs, 300 stun guns, etc. etc. (not to mention the obvious question of why Hermit Yoda needs stuff cuffs…)

It is WAY beyond disheartening. I have been working on a Jedi team in anticipation of Hermit Yoda since he was announced, but I am nowhere close. I know some improvements have been made (gear in TBs, for example …. except that my guild has gotten mk4 Carbantis twice since the new rewards were introduced ... but that is a different story).

Here is a suggestion:

Why not let gear work in a similar fashion to the effect Platoons have in the Territory Battles?

First, remove all values off of gear.
Instead, give a character bonuses based on the # gear he/she has equipped towards the current tier.
So, when you have 2/6 items equipped, you get some bonus stats (equivalent to equipping 2 gear items as they are now).
4/6 = another increase.
6/6 = another increase, plus the tier bonus.

That way, the stats of all toons remain completely unaffected. No balance issues, and no issues having to tweak character stats and stat progression to maintain balance as the character levels. Effectively, gear still has the exact same value *to the player* as currently (although you get the bonuses for each set of 2 you equip, rather than each individual gear item), but the gear itself has no values on it.

Most importantly, if individual gear items do not have values attached to them, you can completely redistribute gear requirements, such that all gear pieces are needed equally. There is no need for General Kenobi to require 500 mk3 carbantis, while, say, B2 needs 250 mk3 carbantis, and Stormtrooper needs 100 mk3 carbantis.

Gear issue = solved, while leaving everything unchanged.

Replies

• Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    €€€€€€
    $$$$$$$
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    £££££££
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I agree, the gear requirements are absurd. That's why no one gets creative in arena, they max one team and play it until it's unplayable because it takes so much to gear them. I do think mods are still a problem too. Basically all stats on mods are useless aside from speed. I think that speed needs to either cap out at some point, or that faster enemies don't hit as hard as slower enemies etc.
  • tsss the only solution for EA/CG is you spend some money and a lot please ^^. We get more toons , means need more gear , more credits and nothing is done . And as usual this will go to feedback , they don't care , don't listen ... next time don't write gear in your title but just " thanks to the dev "
  • C3hyp77 wrote: »
    tsss the only solution for EA/CG is you spend some money and a lot please ^^. We get more toons , means need more gear , more credits and nothing is done . And as usual this will go to feedback , they don't care , don't listen ... next time don't write gear in your title but just " thanks to the dev "

I hate this^ but it's so true. The devs are **** for making up these absurd prices for characters and ships. Like right now they are charging $69.99 for 30 shards of 4 ships. Seriously? $69.99? You could buy a brand new AAA title for that price. For spending that much on a pack you should be getting 4 full 7* ships and 20m ship credits. Seriously, anyone that spends that much money on a pack, (no matter their wealth) is bad with money and should feel bad for paying that much. Believe me, I can easily afford to buy these packs, but it is extremely irresponsible to do so.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Moved to correct sub forum.

I think we are way beyond a point where a change like that can be made.
  • Caiaphas
    187 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    It's not that much of a change mate, that's the idea...

At least, compared to other possible solutions.

This way, all stats and gear names, etc. etc. all stays exactly the same. The values that gear add to a character's stats also stay the same. What changes is that the values visible on gear goes away.

Think of it like this: the values that are currently assigned to gear items (+25 strength for example) can be assigned to a gear SLOT instead. Then, the developers are free to change the gear item that is required for that particular slot, so that gear requirements can become evenly distributed.
    Post edited by Caiaphas on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Gear is designed to pace progression and give the ootions to choose who you gear and force the player to make decisions. Yes it also adds stats but that doesn't seem to be the primary focus at lower lvls, as there is gear that doesn't add useful stats to certain toons.

Your solution sounds like it makes it "easier" to gear toons but I don't hinkle that is ever intended to be the goal. What they want to do is increase our income of gear but still force us to make decisions. This has always been the game and I'm not sure we can change that.

I may be misunderstanding your system, but the general idea seems to be to decrease the required gear and make it more universal, which misses the point of the long farm/ hard decision.
  • C3hyp77 wrote: »
    tsss the only solution for EA/CG is you spend some money and a lot please ^^. We get more toons , means need more gear , more credits and nothing is done . And as usual this will go to feedback , they don't care , don't listen ... next time don't write gear in your title but just " thanks to the dev "

I hate this^ but it's so true. The devs are **** for making up these absurd prices for characters and ships. Like right now they are charging $69.99 for 30 shards of 4 ships. Seriously? $69.99? You could buy a brand new AAA title for that price. For spending that much on a pack you should be getting 4 full 7* ships and 20m ship credits. Seriously, anyone that spends that much money on a pack, (no matter their wealth) is bad with money and should feel bad for paying that much. Believe me, I can easily afford to buy these packs, but it is extremely irresponsible to do so.

I highly doubt that the Devs themselves set the price. I agree that the prices are absurd, but it's not the Devs fault. That's the Marketing department.
  • On the one hand it could be "easier" to gear toons, I suppose, but that could be controlled by adjusting the drop values of items. I agree that the system is designed to be an "in it for the long haul" system, BUT it is not without issues.

Namely, the demand for some items in particular far exceeds the supply, while the supply for other items far exceeds the demand.

For example, if you think that the relative supply and demand of mk5 Droid Callers is "balanced" as desired by the developers, then you have a baseline. Other items, such as mk3 carbantis are much easier to get - so have a much larger supply. BUT the demand for them is higher than the increased supply compensates for. Other items are stockpiled because the supply far exceeds the demand.

A system that doesn't assign actual values to the gear itself, but instead assigns the values to the slots or pairs of slots, can be easily balanced in terms of supply and demand of particular items, as the requirements for particular items can be reshuffled such that the demand is "balanced appropriately" to the supply (or, alternatively, the supply is balanced appropriately to the demand)

Anyway, it is just a thought of a system that changes as little as possible, while maintaining scarcity, but addressing imbalances.
  • This is NOT about a players choice. Lmao no way!!! I'm seriously tired of reading the one-thing-at-a-time suggestions.

You drop the Endor event requiring at least 5, 4* Ewoks, who suck, in order to grind an event 28 times to get a 7* Ewok to unlock the second tier for what? A one-time zeta mat? This event is running how frequently? Every week? Every single day? You're forcing players to farm shards and gear and spend credits they very likely otherwise would not if they want in through the door. There's no choice involved. None. It isn't about prioritizing. It's about putting blinders on so you aren't looking at all the crap being dumped in to the game you're inevitably going to miss while it's creators are suggesting you stick around for 6 years because eventually you'll get there. It's the same with gear, with omegas, Zetas, all of it. Every bit of new content added requires certain toons, at certain levels, which requires players time, credits, gear, ability mats.

I've personally been feeling the crunch now for about 2 months and as a PAYING CUSTOMER I'm tired of what the game is becoming. People who have been with the game since the beginning have an edge, likely having the ability to meet most requirements because there wasn't all this demand to begin with. I'm in the game post Nilihus and feel like I'm getting screwed left and right. I've never seen a QoL update. Just more and more and more and more.

If players ACTUALLY had a choice on how to approach the game there wouldn't be so many blockades. Here's what a new player HAS to work towards if they want the full experience.....

1. 5 Phoenix
    2. 5 Jawas
    3. 5 Resistance
    4. 5 First order
    5. 5 Scoundrels
    6. 5 Rogue One
    7. 5 Rebels
    8. 5 Jedi
    9. 5 Ewoks
    10. 5 Nightsisters
    11. 5, 6* Rebel Ships
    12. 5, 6* Dark Side Ships
    13. 4 Capital Ships
    14. 5 Empire
    15. Hoth Leia
    16. Hoth Han
    17. Commander Luke

...... I might be missing some, but, that's basically the chore list. Right there. This many toons plus all the credits, gear, mods, and ability mats they require. If you can knock out one of those a month, that's only 17 months. But hey!!!! You get to pick the order!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm at the quitting point. Players making hard choices, FFS. If, IF! this list was actually doable at the rate of one per month, because we actually received enough resources to build up, zeta, max out toons at that rate, you would STILL have people making hard choices!!!! I don't get how it's so difficult to see! I really don't. Because at that rate IT WOULD STILL TAKE 1 1/2 ****ING YEARS! And the current content will likely increase by at least 50% in that time!
  • I would settle for a reasonable drop rate. The current drop rates are totally absurd
  • Woah, quite the rant, @DasMurich

But yea, I understand.

But aside from toons (which is a separate issue, I get that), I was making a suggestion (in the end I made two different suggestions) about a more or less painless way for the devs to rebalance the gear requirements.

@dev_who_reads_threads_in_this_forum