Rey's new name

12345679Next

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Winstar wrote: »
    Disney spent four billion on Star Wars, they will always take the safe route and keep the casual fans happy first and foremost. They aren't going kill the franchaise for the sake of being a rebel.

For this reason, Rey will stay a good guy and be a Kenobi for the standard Star Wars big reveal, and no way Snoke is anybody but Plagueis. Kylo will die in part three trying to redeem himself.

Midichlorians is unspoken non-canon.

I hope you are right. The prequels were an abomination. The best thing to happen to the franchise was to turn over the creative control to anyone other than Lucas.

Um the only thing that was an abomination was TFA's writing. It is a horrible film that feels like what a producer thinks people liked about SW. I feel like im taking crazy pills reading so many articles stating TFA was a great film and they are glad J.J. is returning for ep.9. Did we watch the same film? Its entertaining but it fits right in with all the other "safe" reboots going on. Did the prequels have cringe worthy moments, yes but most movies will have them in a scene or two. If they were such bad movies then why are the good scenes quoted so much? Its easy to get on the prequels are bad TFA eas good band wagon but think for yourself. Quit saying bad movies are good and maybe they will stop making trash reboots over and over. So many scenes were convieniantly or just badly written in TFA. It also takes a ton of supplimental material just to find out what is happening in Ep.7. I really thought Corusant was the planet Starkiller base blew up....Finn has a revelation when his trooper friend gets killed(by Poe) so he quits the first order and shoots half of his other friends on the way out of the hangar while laughing hysterically. Rey can use force powers without being trained the first time she attempts them. She also beats Kylo on her first fight and he was trained by not only Snoke but Luke himself. Finn gets carried by a Rocknar just long enough to escape while the others get eaten instanly. Finn also happens to fight the one trooper who can go against a lightsaber and Jedi have been gone for 40+ years. I can go on and on. Its bad. Sorry. I really tried to make myself like it but no. I hope ep.8 redeems it.

If you didnt like TFA, you won’t like TLJ
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Sorry, I gotta agree with want5 on this. JJ is terrible, really. Star Wars did not need a reboot, it needed a fresh start. There was nothing wrong with the EU the way it was. Hundreds of authors wrote multiple stories carrying on the franchise when it was dormant on the screens. We got deeper more robust characters, new Jedi, new aliens, the Republic was laced with intrigue and opportunity. Admiral Dalla was the Chancelor, ****?!?! And wielding her power to get revenge on Luke, though he did volunteer to self exile for his personal reasons.

Now I have a movie with zero background on any of the characters, zero thought to the new villain. JJ even said its up to others to tell Snoke’s story. We have a half finished heroine who is not the actual heroine of the story. Rose is the actual female heroine which make one wonder who Rey is. The fan theory is absurdly out of control because 30 years of continuity is void.

Now you have to read every piece of printed material for back story on the past 30 years and play BF and BF2 to see snippets of info to paint the larger picture.

Sorry, the Ewok Adventure and Return to Endor were better than TFA. I am really scared for what I will see on screen next week. The movie is about Luke with fringe stories about the other characters and how they relate to his view of the galaxy. Having read some of the books currently out there relating to TLJ, we are all in for at least 3 huge holy Batman moments and 1 large what did you do, Ray? The stay puft marshmallow man walks on screen moments.
  • KenLi wrote: »
    Since the new cannon gave the name Ben to Han Solo's son, Rey will probably take the place of Jaina Solo.
    Rey Solo?

Rey is not her true name. It’s the name she read on the inside of a Rebel Pilots helmet she puts on in the film. Finn is also obviously not his name. Most speculate he is Landos kid.

Fine. It could still be Han and Leia's daughter.
  • Winstar wrote: »
    Disney spent four billion on Star Wars, they will always take the safe route and keep the casual fans happy first and foremost. They aren't going kill the franchaise for the sake of being a rebel.

For this reason, Rey will stay a good guy and be a Kenobi for the standard Star Wars big reveal, and no way Snoke is anybody but Plagueis. Kylo will die in part three trying to redeem himself.

I hope you are right. The prequels were an abomination. The best thing to happen to the franchise was to turn over the creative control to anyone other than Lucas.

Um the only thing that was an abomination was TFA's writing. It is a horrible film that feels like what a producer thinks people liked about SW. I feel like im taking crazy pills reading so many articles stating TFA was a great film and they are glad J.J. is returning for ep.9. Did we watch the same film? Its entertaining but it fits right in with all the other "safe" reboots going on. Did the prequels have cringe worthy moments, yes but most movies will have them in a scene or two. If they were such bad movies then why are the good scenes quoted so much? Its easy to get on the prequels are bad TFA eas good band wagon but think for yourself. Quit saying bad movies are good and maybe they will stop making trash reboots over and over. So many scenes were convieniantly or just badly written in TFA. It also takes a ton of supplimental material just to find out what is happening in Ep.7. I really thought Corusant was the planet Starkiller base blew up....Finn has a revelation when his trooper friend gets killed(by Poe) so he quits the first order and shoots half of his other friends on the way out of the hangar while laughing hysterically. Rey can use force powers without being trained the first time she attempts them. She also beats Kylo on her first fight and he was trained by not only Snoke but Luke himself. Finn gets carried by a Rocknar just long enough to escape while the others get eaten instanly. Finn also happens to fight the one trooper who can go against a lightsaber and Jedi have been gone for 40+ years. I can go on and on. Its bad. Sorry. I really tried to make myself like it but no. I hope ep.8 redeems it.

I have to disagree about the lightsaber. The First Order are run by Force wielders. We know for a fact Kylo is in the First Order and wields a lightsaber. One could assume that Snoke does as well. I would expect the Knights of Ren to also wield lightsabers. I would expect them to have some sort of training in fighting against lightsabers if they were truly hunting Luke as enemy #1.

Now Finn should also have no idea how to wield a lightsaber, so we are seeing a semi-skilled lightsaber defender against a novice lightsaber wielder, and it makes excellent sense for it to be so.

So true...
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Knights of Ren do not wield lightsabers. They carry ordinary weapons. Rey’s staff is from one of the Knights Kylo kills in the Force vision. It’s strange that he is the only Force using member of the Knights. I would have figured the Knights were children of the former Royal Guard or at least Inquisitors. But Aftermath made it clear they are just ordinary Joes, possibly Bounty Hunters or Mercinaries with a fanatical devotion to Darth Vader.

The squad Finn belongs to are trained with the intent of fighting Luke specifically. Their training and weapons are anti Jedi. They are supposed to be immune to mind tricks because they are not clones and are actually really intelligent tactically.
  • spicynachosupreme1
    507 posts Member
    edited December 2017
  • Carth_Onassi1973
    1706 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Over Rated (clap, clap...clap clap clap)

Kidding. I hope she’s really good. I should get her next Saturday.
  • What does Rey "Jedi Training" mean? She trains jedi?

It doesn't sound like proper English.

The name being "Rey (Jedi Training)" I interpret as "Rey, during her training to be a Jedi" in other words "Rey, during Jedi Training" in other words "Rey (Jedi Training)".

But I agree it's a little awkward. They should have just called her Pay2Rey.
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    skywhopper wrote: »
    What does Rey "Jedi Training" mean? She trains jedi?

It doesn't sound like proper English.

The name being "Rey (Jedi Training)" I interpret as "Rey, during her training to be a Jedi" in other words "Rey, during Jedi Training" in other words "Rey (Jedi Training)".

But I agree it's a little awkward. They should have just called her Pay2Rey.

'The course of action of training' needed for a person to be a Jedi is called 'Jedi train'. It's a single noun and in the same time, a verb, in a way that 'wreck' is both a noun and a verb of similar meaning. It is to be registered on American Heritage dictionary sometime in near future too. So 'Jedi training' is a gerund form of a verb in itself.
    So it's like Rey, the one who is Jedi-training.
    But I guess they could have named her, Rey (Jedi Apprentice)
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Sorry, I gotta agree with want5 on this. JJ is terrible, really. Star Wars did not need a reboot, it needed a fresh start. There was nothing wrong with the EU the way it was. Hundreds of authors wrote multiple stories carrying on the franchise when it was dormant on the screens. We got deeper more robust characters, new Jedi, new aliens, the Republic was laced with intrigue and opportunity. Admiral Dalla was the Chancelor, ****?!?! And wielding her power to get revenge on Luke, though he did volunteer to self exile for his personal reasons.

Now I have a movie with zero background on any of the characters, zero thought to the new villain. JJ even said its up to others to tell Snoke’s story. We have a half finished heroine who is not the actual heroine of the story. Rose is the actual female heroine which make one wonder who Rey is. The fan theory is absurdly out of control because 30 years of continuity is void.

Now you have to read every piece of printed material for back story on the past 30 years and play BF and BF2 to see snippets of info to paint the larger picture.

Sorry, the Ewok Adventure and Return to Endor were better than TFA. I am really scared for what I will see on screen next week. The movie is about Luke with fringe stories about the other characters and how they relate to his view of the galaxy. Having read some of the books currently out there relating to TLJ, we are all in for at least 3 huge holy Batman moments and 1 large what did you do, Ray? The stay puft marshmallow man walks on screen moments.

EU good? there were certainly some good stories in there for sure, and some very memorable toons - which is why Disney opted to steal Thrawn and make him cannon again.

I liked the whol Jacen Jaina SOlo story lines with Darth Cadeus etc. - but at the end of the day, the sith were meant to be destroyed in TROTJ. So many other stories in the EU were just bad. I personally hated the yuuzhan vong - what garbage that was.

To me the EU was lazy cash cow to save him the time and effort writing stories himself and making more movies, which is hindsight is now a blessing because Lucas literally went insane when working on the prequels trilogy and Disney was able to easily do away with the whole EU and rebuild the star wars "story" as they see fit.

Lucas was brilliant for creating the universe and his determination in getting the first movie made - but Empire and Jedi both had different directors and were the superior movies in the OT, in my opinion. Lucas takes the reins again for the PT and it was 90% disaster- Jar Jar Binks, Little Ani, Pod Race, "Wizard" and "Laser Swords", underuse count dooku, Clone creation plot that went nowhere (later needed to be better explained in a cartoon), Buzz droids instead of actual rockets (Obi Wan would have died if the CIS used actual rockets) - I could go on and on, not to mention the worst Love Story in HISTORY.

I enjoyed TFA - was it a "good film" certainly not and I was personally hoping for something better. I personally enjoyed R1 more than I did TFA. I just hope TLJ redeems TFA - I'll let you know on Thursday.
  • she will be the tank in a good group. wonder how CLS, R2, RJT, BB8 and a fifth would work
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Rey Abrams
  • I don't really understand why a post from so long ago is in the top now

If you hate TH
    Boo wrote: »

EU good? there were certainly some good stories in there for sure, and some very memorable toons - which is why Disney opted to steal Thrawn and make him cannon again.

I liked the whol Jacen Jaina SOlo story lines with Darth Cadeus etc. - but at the end of the day, the sith were meant to be destroyed in TROTJ. So many other stories in the EU were just bad. I personally hated the yuuzhan vong - what garbage that was.

To me the EU was lazy cash cow to save him the time and effort writing stories himself and making more movies, which is hindsight is now a blessing because Lucas literally went insane when working on the prequels trilogy and Disney was able to easily do away with the whole EU and rebuild the star wars "story" as they see fit.

Lucas was brilliant for creating the universe and his determination in getting the first movie made - but Empire and Jedi both had different directors and were the superior movies in the OT, in my opinion. Lucas takes the reins again for the PT and it was 90% disaster- Jar Jar Binks, Little Ani, Pod Race, "Wizard" and "Laser Swords", underuse count dooku, Clone creation plot that went nowhere (later needed to be better explained in a cartoon), Buzz droids instead of actual rockets (Obi Wan would have died if the CIS used actual rockets) - I could go on and on, not to mention the worst Love Story in HISTORY.

I enjoyed TFA - was it a "good film" certainly not and I was personally hoping for something better. I personally enjoyed R1 more than I did TFA. I just hope TLJ redeems TFA - I'll let you know on Thursday.
    So what did you think of TLJ?
  • I don't really understand why a post from so long ago is in the top now

Yes. Someone please close this thread. It's not even about Rey anymore