GW is not worth my time

Prev1
When my whole roster can't beat node 6, it really is time to give GW a break. Its such a shame since i'd really like to finish 7* the GW toons and get the ships to 7* too, but I just can't waste the time to only get only 200 gw tokens. I have invested a lot of time into this game, but this is just nuts!

It really shouldn't be this hard, that my whole roster cant beat node 6!!!

Replies

• NightfallsCurse
    537 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I enjoyed GW in the early days because I thought it was a place where you just battled against a random assortment of characters across the board and that was it. It was a fun place to see different character combinations, teams, and to see characters I'd never used (or didn't have) in action.

Now that I'm higher level it's pretty much the worst part of the game. Node 6, 9, 10, 11, and 12 are typically just meta teams (or a meta team with one character missing and CLS in its place) at G12 with maxed mods, etc, etc, and it's an incredibly dull, frustrating time sink to get through.

I remember being really pleased when the GW rewards were upgraded, but now it feels like they are very small compared to the amount of effort required to get through this every day.

• It must be ok for all those that got CLS and have him maxed, but it’s basically broken the game for the rest of us! It just seems like the devs don’t care, they just keep releasing more toons but not fixing the things that should make this game more enjoyable for everyone! When is the next QOL update!
  • Doneeta wrote: »
    It must be ok for all those that got CLS and have him maxed, but it’s basically broken the game for the rest of us! It just seems like the devs don’t care, they just keep releasing more toons but not fixing the things that should make this game more enjoyable for everyone! When is the next QOL update!

I have CLS at G12 with the best mods I can muster and it does me no good. Mine still gets tossed around like a toddler fighting Mike Tyson by the ones I see in GW.

I put a Zeta on Finn and have started working on Resistance solely for the sake of making GW more tolerable and while it took a lot of the frustration out of it, it's still a chore.
  • yeah, mmkay, having CLS g12 247 speed myself I sometimes struggle with GW too, especially getting handed full zetad combos with CLS R2 Thrawn Zolo for node 9, 11, 12.
  • I’ve been trying to get resistance, but they are to squishy, 7* and still no zeta, so they aren’t helping me! Probably won’t until they are all gear 10 and maxed mods and zeta!
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Resistance can help at lower gears but with the zeta. For a long time I had Finn g8, Poe And Rey g10, and RT and RP at g8. I could make it all the way until more 10 on bad days and 11 on good days. My node 12 was broken at the time. They weren’t ever modded with arena mods but they were modded properly. So, not as fast as I would have liked.

Now, I use BB8 g8, and r2 g12. Poe is g11, Finn and RT are g10. I breeze through gw with that team. I don’t need any other teams at the moment but they are on standby for when needed.

@Doneeta post or pm me your roster or a link to your swgoh.gg account and we can see what you can use/work on to help in gw.
  • @sying thanks for the help, my roster is: https://swgoh.gg/u/alyshadoneeta2017/collection/
    finn g9, rey g10, Poe g8, rt g8, rt g7

Poe is the most squishy, as he taunts, then is wiped out easily due to lack of health and protection. :(
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    @Doneeta one helpful note when building a weak resistance team for GW, what i did was strip all mods and build them back up with absolutely the best potency i could, everyone but rey. this will help keep the TM removal and string of exposes going.

after doing that my poe rarely got hit after the 2nd node where i was building up their TM.
  • Exactly what Kyno just posted. If you do it right you shouldn’t be hit too much until you run into the super teams at the end. Even then, if you get into trouble just retreat and try it again until you find the right attack order.

Look for a pm shortly. I’m a bit busy at the moment and just checked in.
  • sying wrote: »
    Exactly what Kyno just posted. If you do it right you shouldn’t be hit too much until you run into the super teams at the end. Even then, if you get into trouble just retreat and try it again until you find the right attack order.

So your suggestion is to exploit the system as a player as opposed to the Devs fixing the game mode.
  • Zolaz wrote: »
    sying wrote: »
    Exactly what Kyno just posted. If you do it right you shouldn’t be hit too much until you run into the super teams at the end. Even then, if you get into trouble just retreat and try it again until you find the right attack order.

So your suggestion is to exploit the system as a player as opposed to the Devs fixing the game mode.

I don't know that retreating to try different tactics is so much an "exploit" as it is WAI. In this rare instance I'll say one thing positive about GW... The fact that it's so grueling and difficult has done one thing very well: taught me how to play with Resistance (a team I had 0 experience with before GW) well enough to maximize my efficiency with them.
  • My biggest issue with GW is that I have to go through the frustration of 12 nodes, just to get the 1200 GW tokens, and if I can't make it past node 6, then for all the effort that ends in failure, its just 200 tokens. Compare that to doing 1 fleet arena battle that keeps me in the top 200 and I get 1200 fleet store tokens for very little effort.

If the GW rewards structure was changed, where the 1st battle gave you the 1200 GW tokens, the rest just becomes an adventure in testing out different teams (and the rewards for finishing those nodes are just a bonus), then failing to get through all 12 nodes is not a deal breaker.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Zolaz wrote: »

Its not an exploit, its actually a tool given to us by the devs. This didn't use to be that way and it was changed to give us another advantage to help us get through GW.

Honestly I have used this to great advantage, going from losing 2 toons or more. to beating a node without changing a team. its like a puzzle, you can get all the pieces in the right order it will all fall into place.
  • I agree that retreat is a useful tool, but only when it can work for you. I have had battles where I have only been able to get 1 shot at making dmg, then wanted to retreat, only to lose the whole squad as the other team was too fast and I never had a chance to use it. :(
  • Doneeta wrote: »
    I agree that retreat is a useful tool, but only when it can work for you. I have had battles where I have only been able to get 1 shot at making dmg, then wanted to retreat, only to lose the whole squad as the other team was too fast and I never had a chance to use it. :(

If it starts looking like the opposing team is going to go on an Ultra Combo of Destruction on me, I just force close the game. Same effect as retreating.
  • Thanks @NightfallsCurse, I never thought of that. Must try it.

If you think that’s an exploit then you’re not playing the game right.

If this is an exploit, then so it using a 1-wood off the tee on a par 5. Or hitting a 90-mph fastball over the heart of the plate over the wall in left-center. Or ignoring the tight end in triple-coverage over the middle in favor of the wide receiver standing all alone in the end zone. Or doubling down when you have eleven.

It's a winning strategy. Use it.
  • Zolaz
    392 posts Member
    Doneeta wrote: »
    I agree that retreat is a useful tool, but only when it can work for you. I have had battles where I have only been able to get 1 shot at making dmg, then wanted to retreat, only to lose the whole squad as the other team was too fast and I never had a chance to use it. :(

If it starts looking like the opposing team is going to go on an Ultra Combo of Destruction on me, I just force close the game. Same effect as retreating.

@EventineElessedil ... pointed you in the right direction. Nice straw man argument though.
  • TM pre-loading doesnt matter much when the enemy team is so fast they go before you do, even if you had pre-loaded TM.

Also all the people saying to get Resistance for GW are you being serious ?
  • GW difficulty is caused by this unbalanced game. GW can be beaten easily but you need the correct teams to do so. To people who say that a good roster is required to beat GW, they are correct but a good roster is not enough. They must be the correct roster.
    Doneeta wrote: »

@EventineElessedil ... pointed you in the right direction. Nice straw man argument though.

Tried to put it in terms you might understand @Zolaz . It's your choice if you don't want to hear it. Rage on, enjoy your stress.
  • Resistance
  • This guy - three times this week on Node 12 - I mean, I have to be close to breaking it, right?

https://swgoh.gg/u/america/
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Migux7 wrote: »
    TM pre-loading doesnt matter much when the enemy team is so fast they go before you do, even if you had pre-loaded TM.

Also all the people saying to get Resistance for GW are you being serious ?

Why wouldn't they be serious? If you'd rather just complain about GW than work towards the solution then that's your prerogative but people are going to keep recommending the solution. Maybe there are people out there reading these threads who actually want a way to win.
  • exactly what is written above.
    Resistance is not a "fix" for GW. it is currently a work around to the imbalance of how the teams are being created.
    As to the comments that going into Node 12, with a full TM preloaded team ( assuming they mean Resistance ) and losing, then I think you may want to look at your build/mods on that Resistance team. There are VERY few nodes that I have ran into where Resistance ( not even preloaded ) can not burn through and never be touched. So it is not a fix for GW, but something that will work. No one knows if the Devs are going to revamp the system or not, but instead of complaining about not being able to get through the nodes, why not build a simple team that can get through them, and is useful if almost every aspect of the game ?
  • @Darklin_Sil To be fair - it's not just Resistance, it's Resistance under zeta'd leadership. Committing a zeta just to be able to finish GW can be a lot to ask of people depending on where they are in the lifecycle of the game. I just finished zeta #3 (I was late to the zeta party) and I'm considering my next one for Finn, but I'm not completely sold (and that's even with TB) as my arena team isn't completely zeta'd yet.

And to other points, Resistance is not a cure all - your non-TM pre-loaded zFinn Resistance team that has one G11 and a bunch of G10s is going to get walloped by an all G12 meta comp of GK / Zarriss / CLS / R2 / Thrawn with CLS running at 280 speed and Thrawn running in the 250s. It's a good tool to have in the shed with the zeta, and it's a useful faction for TB - it's not a cure all to the current imbalance some of us see on node 12 and IMHO it's medicine for a part of the game that's sick.

• Zolaz
    392 posts Member
    I know that my Zetaed TM preloaded Resistance team has 1 or 2 people killed before being able to even go in my N12.
    I know that my Zetaed TM preloaded Resistance team has 1 or 2 people killed before being able to even go in my N12.
    You're doing it wrong. On every node where you use Resistance, you should strive to leave one enemy with meager health and a multi-stack of Expose (3+ is doing excellent). The last shot should not be taken by Poe, if you can help it; Finn or Trooper basic shot is a great way to finish.

When the enemy is dwindling down toward the end of the match, you need to consider whether trying to land another Expose will buy you anything; you may be better served to just stick with a basic attack to make doubly sure all of your cooldowns are ready for the next round. If you fail to properly manage your TM generation or your CD reduction, you may indeed find yourself entering a bad situation.