Balance.. what do you think it means?

Prev1345
I read the word ‘balance’ in so many threads on here but it’s used is so many ways and it appears to have several meanings, so could someone clarify?

I thought balance would mean that each character or team set up would have a counter team capable of beating it... hence balance.
I’ve read others using ‘balance’ too in this sense also.

I’ve read others applying balance to mean better geared teams should always have an advantage over poorer geared teams while seemingly ignoring other factors such as gameplay.

Others yet, take balance to mean more than exclusive toons should hold an advantage over other toons. Another interpretation is that balance should apply to offense v defence capabilities.

I realise multi meanings can exist, but as some who doesn’t really play games online other than this one, I never quite understand the true mean of the term in swgoh context.

Sorry for long text.

Replies

• scuba
    14043 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/balance

Also there is no "game play" there is only RNG! ;)

In a serious note the word seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
  • *sigh
  • cw8
    98 posts Member
    Something that can't be found in this game.
  • Something only Anakin can bring to the force
  • For me, balance would mean every character being viable. Much like Street Fighter, for instance. Watch a professional SF tournament and you'll see every character being used. Because the game is balanced so well they are all viable. Every single one.
  • Balance, in any game, means giving rebels the advantage every step of the way....oh wait
  • scuba wrote: »
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/balance

Also there is no "game play" there is only RNG! ;)

In a serious note the word seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

Read in the cadence of *there is no Dana, only ZULE*

But seriously though, here's my take on balance:

In the Star Wars Galaxy, the word "balance" meant different things to different characters and different factions during many different ages. It ought to be ambiguous and serve different purposes, so for balance to be in the eye of the beholder is true to form.

What does it mean to me? The heavy-side of balance favors those whom open their pocket books, and I'm OK with that.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Its either unbalanced gameplay with insane powercreep, or nerfing characters you’ve spent tons of either money or time on.
  • Balance in arena means 85 % cls leads
  • For me, a balance between strong/weak toons for both light and dark side, which there has been a massive lacking of.

But also a balance between f2p and p2p stuff so both sides can enjoy the game. But, as of late, or at least since thrawn, the game is quickly going towards the p2p route.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    All characters equally powerful.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Its either unbalanced gameplay with insane powercreep, or nerfing characters you’ve spent tons of either money or time on.

Nerf away. You can't have an online game work without it.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Annihilate on basic.
  • Fixing broken toons with even more broken toons (for money, of course).
  • Seigi wrote: »
    For me, a balance between strong/weak toons for both light and dark side, which there has been a massive lacking of.

But also a balance between f2p and p2p stuff so both sides can enjoy the game. But, as of late, or at least since thrawn, the game is quickly going towards the p2p route.

The devs need to earn money, you know.

Also for LS/DS- this game is GOH not GOEmpire or GOSith. Seriously, you have 5 threads a day asking for EP zetas, or Sith buffs, or Empire reworks, or nerf CLS, or nerf Rebels, or no rebel bias, or..
    I could go on but you get the point.
  • Balance means a playable game platform that Blizzard never achieved in 10 years of keeping everyone in Beta Test mode with all the reworks to the characters.
  • In arena, Balance is made over time in Swgoh.
    Not at a given moment
    It's not that bad considering it bring a turnover in arena comp.

There is more balance in PVE, where a lot more comp, and toons are shining. (exemples : Lando, Chirpa, Teebo, First Order, Resistance, Zvador, even Tusken Cham, and so on ...)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Ha! balance.
    It's the equivalent of how the term "equality" gets used nowadays. Nobody really knows what it means, but it seems to fit like a glove in any argument. It has a very loose definition that you can apply to whatever the kitten you want.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    In a 1 to 1 battle:
    * CLS vs Mob Enforcer is not balanced
    * CLS vs Thrawn is balanced
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    BulYwif wrote: »
    In a 1 to 1 battle:

Balance isnt really about solo characters though
    Take resistance squad
    Each individual resistance character is pretty weak, but as a synergy, they are strong.
    And I don't think anyone would argue they're not balanced.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Olga wrote: »
    In a 1 to 1 battle:

Take resistance squad
    Each individual resistance character is pretty weak, but as a synergy, they are strong.

In this example, the synergy between them make them balanced. Same with Phoenix, they're balanced too, a full Empire with Thrawn lead is balanced. Because of the synergy.

Now, some individual toons are not balanced because they break those synergies alone. The kit of CLS is too powerful and is not balanced. The fact that Han can one shot (or double shot) the weakest toons of the game is not balanced.

When I see a 35-40k damage on a toon that cannot be evaded, that's not balanced because of 2 things: the damage is really too high in one shot, and the evasion ability, which is the basis of some toons or teams is reduced to 0.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Olga wrote: »
    In a 1 to 1 battle:

Take resistance squad
    Depends on what you consider "balanced". Resistance is amazing in TB, GW and hAAT, far superior to any other faction team out there if you only take TB, GW and hAAT into consideration. All while needing less gear and zeta's than other teams, also performing better than many other teams in arena and being relatively easy to farm. Does that sound "balanced" to you?
    But you're right, not alot of people would argue they're not balanced. It has nothing to do with whether they´re balanced or not though, but with what people chose to complain about. "Balance" is only an issue for people when it suits them.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Can't wait until they release Jedi Luke. He'll tip the balance for sure. =P
  • Balance?
    balance means that a "meta" team is beatable and not severely OP.

Poe meta was NOT balanced, but CLS meta is.
  • In this game balance means to be able to be No1 in Arena and get all events with existing players' toons :smile:
  • In my opinion, balance is having many different types of teams available to be able to compete in the meta with. Team A will destroy team B, while team A can compete against team C and D. Team A will be destroyed by team E and with some rng team A can beat team F.
    Team B will destroy team E while team E will lose to team D.
    Something like this..
    Balance means you are strong VS certain team matchups but weak VS other matchups.

But adding in the fact that this is not correct at all in swgoh and the fact of mods; we have barely any balance in this game.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Balance?
    balance means that a "meta" team is beatable and not severely OP.

Poe meta was NOT balanced, but CLS meta is.

CLS is the most OP toon of the game and the most unbalanced. He can destroy whatever team easily.

Are you saying that the meta CLS is not severely OP? If it wouldn't be the case, CLS teams won't represent 60% of the teams.
  • Rock paper scissors = balance
  • Balance excludes characters that are better in every respect than others.
    CLS is a complete opposite.