Is there any official statement about zeta attrition?

Prev1
Neo2551
1824 posts Member
Hello,

Most old time players would gladly argue that we miss zeta ability mates (most game changers made it quite vocal on YouTube and I am quite certain many would agree).

Is there any official statement saying if he situation is WAI, or if there is anything in the pipeline for making the situation better?

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    tier 2 wicket/talzin ? ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    For me it's not the Zetas, but the Omegas that are a problem to farm
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    MoBlaq wrote: »
    For me it's not the Zetas, but the Omegas that are a problem to farm

But you can buy Omega with their packs.

As for Talzin and Wicket, I find their solution aimed to Whales and closing a big part of the game to F2P is really annoying (I have around 12 Zetas abilities but it is annoying).
  • Options
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    Hello,

Most old time players would gladly argue that we miss zeta ability mates (most game changers made it quite vocal on YouTube and I am quite certain many would agree).

Is there any official statement saying if he situation is WAI, or if there is anything in the pipeline for making the situation better?

What's wrong with the situation?
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this thread means. What is "zeta attrition"?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ruivussan
    310 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think it means to weaken how strong zeta's are...?

Edit: I think he want's them easier to get.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what he means. Zeta attrition/ability mates?
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Ruivussan wrote: »
    I think it means to weaken how strong zeta's are...?

Edit: I think he want's them easier to get.

If that's true he's really misusing the term.
  • Options
    No idea what OP means, the real bottle neck is Omegas.
  • Options
    I think it means there are more new zeta abilities being released than our ability to obtain them, leading to a growing gap in his collection (oooh I will never be able to collect all these zeta!)

While it's true zeta come at a trickle, I don't really mind not having enough of them to zeta say Pao or K2.

To the OP: just make sure you always have at least 20 zeta material in your stash. Only assign one when you are above 40. This way you'll always feel you have a reserve for that emergency case when you really need one, not just want one.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    So, Devs invest money and time for abilities but no one should ever be able to use them?

I have 12 zetas abilities so I know how to spend and hoard the mates but it is just frustrating to not be able to use toons which we geared because they lack their Zetas.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    "Mats."
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I don't believe we have anything "official"...

But you can buy them with fleet tokens and get a supplement from the challenges ( :wink: ).

This can make where we put them a difficult choice, but if you feel that you are missing out on a toons abilities because you didn't zeta them, then maybe it was a prioritization issue over mats issue.

Yes they come in slow, and we have had general statements about them getting a challenge at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

They are powerful in many cases and should be limited in our ability to get them.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    I don't understand why a lack of zeta would prevent you from using a toon. I have a grand total of two zetas so far. I can assure you I use far more than two toons.
  • Options
    This game is about making the right decision s with the gear pieces, zetas, energy. If you could just max out and zeta a character as soon as you got them I would be one of those people saying I'm quitting and this is why.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all your opinions.

I have read the debate and all arguments about the farming of zeta, and I love the fact that players can read and understand my answers: I have 12 abilities at zeta level, so that is around 1 a month so I know how to farm them, thanks a lot for your concerns.

The issue is the supply and demand is totally unbalanced: you have 5 toons per months that receive a zeta abilities and players are only able to complete 2 at best.

As for he abilities to use a toon without zeta, let me show it with some counter examples:

- Kylo Ren is totally useless without its zeta as it is does not make him tanky at all.
    - Barris Offee does not offer anything without her zeta.
    - CLS is only annoying without his zeta, while it binds all thing is the real deal.
    - R2 D2 is only useful against non Sith Team when his number crunch is zetaed
    - Phoenix are arena worthy only when 3 or 4 of them have their ability zetaed.
    - NS needs 3 or 4 Zeta to be truly dangerous.

I agree to some extend about the resources management of the game, but there should be some balance about fun/grind. Finn Zeta is one of the best (with Barris): it makes a totally useless faction become one of the best for many dimensions of the game. 1 Zeta! Only one! Barris as well provides an awesome ROI. However these are the only ones that really shines, and you need a combination of them otherwise.
  • Options
    Yeah, I prioritize the game-changing zetas, and Finn is probably the single best zeta in the game. My experience with Zylo makes me unwilling to zeta Savage - others are just so much more worth it. On the other hand, because of how good Resistance can be when they deny turns to the enemy, dropping a zeta on Rey for the impossible-to-resist Daze becomes very attractive against enemies that use passive TM gain (CLS, HAAT's B2s or just B2s in general, but I only fight them in AAT, Savage, etc.) or counter-attacks so that the enemy can be denied the opportunity to act completely, instead of just mostly. Getting Poe stunned by Dooku when Dooku resists a stun can be annoying ... sometimes even victory-threatening.

So I certainly prioritize the zetas that will affect an entire faction/squad nowadays, but I'm not refusing to do individual-only zetas like Rey's or CLS.

That helps make the massive expansion in zetas more manageable, but even I am still falling farther behind just in zetas I take as seriously important - Mother Talzin being the latest that has the power to completely change the power of an entire faction.

FYI: I have only 3 zetas: Kylo (which I regret, though I might not if I didn't have CLS), CLS (IBAT only), and Finn. Finn was the best of the three.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for all your opinions.

I have read the debate and all arguments about the farming of zeta, and I love the fact that players can read and understand my answers: I have 12 abilities at zeta level, so that is around 1 a month so I know how to farm them, thanks a lot for your concerns.

The issue is the supply and demand is totally unbalanced: you have 5 toons per months that receive a zeta abilities and players are only able to complete 2 at best.

As for he abilities to use a toon without zeta, let me show it with some counter examples:

- Kylo Ren is totally useless without its zeta as it is does not make him tanky at all.
    - Barris Offee does not offer anything without her zeta.
    - CLS is only annoying without his zeta, while it binds all thing is the real deal.
    - R2 D2 is only useful against non Sith Team when his number crunch is zetaed
    - Phoenix are arena worthy only when 3 or 4 of them have their ability zetaed.
    - NS needs 3 or 4 Zeta to be truly dangerous.

I agree to some extend about the resources management of the game, but there should be some balance about fun/grind. Finn Zeta is one of the best (with Barris): it makes a totally useless faction become one of the best for many dimensions of the game. 1 Zeta! Only one! Barris as well provides an awesome ROI. However these are the only ones that really shines, and you need a combination of them otherwise.

Kylo is fine in a fo squad. You really don't use his zeta ability until towards the end. Or waiting for cool down. Zylo also barely used it on defense so the only time it's significantly better is when your using him in a non fo squad on offense.
  • Options
    Barris as well provides an awesome ROI. However these are the only ones that really shines, and you need a combination of them otherwise.

I would look at this statement as justification for the zeta on Barris being just a tad too much, especially when paired with GK. It would have been reasonable if it were limited to Jedi. I actually wouldn't be too put off if all zetas were limited to the faction with which the character was intended to work best.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    Barris as well provides an awesome ROI. However these are the only ones that really shines, and you need a combination of them otherwise.

I would look at this statement as justification for the zeta on Barris being just a tad too much, especially when paired with GK. It would have been reasonable if it were limited to Jedi. I actually wouldn't be too put off if all zetas were limited to the faction with which the character was intended to work best.

Thanks for your concern, but we are not here to talk about whether a Zeta is good or not (because many are just lacklusters).

We just don’t have enough zetas.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Thanks for your concern, but we are not here to talk about whether a Zeta is good or not (because many are just lacklusters).

quick question though, how many toons do you have are waiting to be zeta'd?
    Most characters i can zeta (g11+ 7*) have meh zeta abilities, or aren't being used or are highly situational. Toons like cassian, rey, 5s and qgj etc etc.
    Don't get me wrong, i could use more zeta's, but do i really "need" them? not really. I've got 13 equiped btw.
  • DasMurich
    245 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't think any player really expects the game to become flooded with zeta materials, it's just a ratio issue. It's no secret that the number of zeta abilities introduced as of late has skyrocketed while the means to obtain them hasn't budged. That's the issue. I spend every single penny of fleet currency on zeta material as well as collect from challenges. I've been playing since the begining of the year and currently have 6 abilities unlocked. How many are there in the game right now? Around 80? They're just going to keep coming. It is out of balance. I have Mother Talzin at 7* and I love the Nightsisters rework. Talzin has 2, Daka has 1, Asajj has 2, Initiate has 1. So, 2 for Talzin, 1 for Daka, 1 for Asajj. That's like 4 months at least, starting today because it was just this morning I unlocked Finn's ability.

It needs fixing. Badly. "Players have choices". Yeah not so much with the number of toons needed to unlock all the content in the game and at the quality they realistically need to be in order to play that content successfully.

Ship challenges should run 3 times like the others, not 2. A new tier needs to be added to the others with the possibility of zeta mats. And those of us that have cleared Marquee events should be able to replay the last tier for zeta mats. If the Dathomir event will have Zetas when accessible via 7* Talzin, same should go for the Thrawn, R2, Palpatine, etc
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    DasMurich wrote: »

It needs fixing. Badly. "Players have choices". Yeah not so much with the number of toons needed to unlock all the content in the game and at the quality they realistically need to be in order to play that content successfully.

None of that content has required zeta'd abilities.
  • DasMurich
    245 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Technically yes, you're right.

But there's a massive difference in HAAT using say, Kylo vs Zylo, or Savage vs Zavage. There's a massive difference between running Resistance with and without Finn's zeta.

So no, it isn't"required" to have certain toons with zeta abilities unlocked, but there are things about this game that are always blanketed with "player's choice" like it's all equal and balanced. Zeta on CLS lends itself to GW, Raids, TB, Arena, and so on. A zeta on Palpoo, well.... You gonna take a plane over to Ireland or are ya gonna swim?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Not all choices are created equal, no, but that's very different from suggesting that you have to have everything to be able to compete. Some zetas are downright terrible and shouldn't even be counted. There are always going to be bad decisions that a person can make, but where there are multiple good options, it's not unreasonable to say it's your choice which to go with because you can't have everything. Not being able to have everything (or even all the pretty good things) is ok.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

Most characters i can zeta (g11+ 7*) have meh zeta abilities, or aren't being used or are highly situational. Toons like cassian, rey, 5s and qgj etc etc.
    Don't get me wrong, i could use more zeta's, but do i really "need" them? not really. I've got 13 equiped btw.

I am an explorer type of players: i want to discover new arena teams that can hold on D, but for these I need fully maxed characters.

I still need Zarris for GvG and probably Phoenix as well.

You need the Zetas to see the full potential of a team. For example take the actual meta team but take out all the Zetas: Not so impressive.

As for why I want a better supply of zeta material is because most toons without Zetas are just downright uselsss and it makes my gear investment feel totally wasted.

For example, Resistance is just bad without zFinn or Barris totally useless as well. Clones without Zody would be just a waste as well.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »
    Not all choices are created equal, no, but that's very different from suggesting that you have to have everything to be able to compete. Some zetas are downright terrible and shouldn't even be counted. There are always going to be bad decisions that a person can make, but where there are multiple good options, it's not unreasonable to say it's your choice which to go with because you can't have everything. Not being able to have everything (or even all the pretty good things) is ok.

In this case, why would we ever invest real money on gearing toons if we will be bottlenecked by zetas anyway? We are not asking to be flooded but a 100% increase in zeta material would not even change the situation.

If I can max only a single toon per month with Zeta, I don’t need to even think about supporting the game financially while if I knew I could use a toon I gear I would gladly consider the option.

It is the exact situation as credit a year and half ago, where the exact same type of person made the exact same arguments against more resources. Guess players and devs do not like to read constructive feedback.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

I am an explorer type of players: i want to discover new arena teams that can hold on D, but for these I need fully maxed characters.

I still need Zarris for GvG and probably Phoenix as well.

You need the Zetas to see the full potential of a team. For example take the actual meta team but take out all the Zetas: Not so impressive.

As for why I want a better supply of zeta material is because most toons without Zetas are just downright uselsss and it makes my gear investment feel totally wasted.

For example, Resistance is just bad without zFinn or Barris totally useless as well. Clones without Zody would be just a waste as well.

So that's 0 characters you actually "need" a zeta on. Got it.
    You just want more zeta's so you can try out more stuff, wich is fine. To a certain extend i even agree with that. There is however a rather significant difference between "want" and "need". Alot of people confuse those 2 on this forum.
  • Options
    @leef

I don't disagree with the thought that some people confuse "want" and "need". But I think that there's a legitimate use for the word "need" here when you're discussing "need" in order to do something specific that has specific requirements. You need Captain Han to get ROLO. Yes, getting ROLO is optional, but if you're going to get ROLO, Captain Han is not optional.

So in that sense, I think it's important to say that in order to participate in all the content the developers work so hard to create, you need many different factions, all geared to g9+. You don't need them all at g12, but if you intend to simply play the content of the game, g9 is mandatory for a lot of that content. Certainly g8.

So getting lots of different toons up to g8 should be relatively easy, just so that the content can be played. This doesn't guarantee a win (and it shouldn't) but being unable to get past encounter 6 of 8 in assault battles is different than simply not getting a chance to play.

Zetas are mostly optional, I agree, but there are times when they become less so, based on the design of the game. I'd be wary of putting too much emphasis on the idea that people "just want" something and don't "actually need it".

I mean, it's a game. We play it because we "just want" to play it. The devs don't have to give out a single shard of anything, and we could all be stuck playing the opening light side battles, using JC and Chewie, forever.

I actually think that Territory Battles is a good way to illustrate the paradigm: many missions require specific toons, and as the battle goes on, you need them at higher & higher stars. But even if you just beat the first encounter, you still get something (a few more Territory Points). I'd actually prefer that the first encounter or two in the battles for the last 2 stages be a bit easier for those who got some toons up to 7* but haven't had a chance to gear them, because there are so many toons to gear.

Now, it's not **necessary** that they let us use low-star toons in the first stages, and I have a lot of 7* toons, so I don't think it would hurt me if they changed all battles to require 7* toons (except it would hurt me on the ROLO mission, I can't get decent drops on HRSoldier), but I think it's reasonable to say that the devs **need** to provide TB content for a wide range of player power-levels.

But here's the thing, it's only a need in the sense that it's necessary if you think people should be able to play the content.

If you don't (and you're an EA/CG dev), that's fine. But no one is going to play your game if you're not giving out any shards or otherwise allowing people to develop and grow and, ultimately, access the content.

There need to be bottlenecks, but the Devs have done us wonderful favors by creating lots of toons and lots of content targeting specific toons or factions. This is great, but it does mean that it has to be reasonably possible to get all those shards and get enough gear to at least make a decent attempt at the content.

Given all that, I think it's very reasonable to say that more zeta mats are necessary, as are more pieces of certain gear that is needed before gear8 - Mk3 Holos of course, but possibly a couple others as well. Once you have a toon to 6* and finished with g7 (but no gear added from g8), then bottlenecks become interesting and force useful strategic choices ... and also create a hurdle which one can feel good about jumping over. But requiring g6 toons to acquire the same pieces of gear as g10 toons (so that you have to trade off moving a toon from g10->g11 vs a toon from g6->g7, instead of just trading off one g6 toon vs another g6 toon), and especially when every single toon needs multiple copies of that gear (I'm thinking specifically of Mk3 Holos right now) isn't reasonable.

Likewise, Resistance content has to be set up to challenge both a decent geared Resistance squad with no zeta on Finn AND one with zeta Finn. You can do this with multiple tiers, but you can't do it without having a very wide gap between the two because the faction is completely transformed by Finn's zeta.

But once you do create that separate content, now you need to make it reasonably possible for someone to zeta Finn in order to access the content.

You don't need to make it free, but "reasonably possible" is still important.

Right now, a lot of people seem to feel differently than you about what constitutes "reasonably possible", and your "want" vs. "need" while kind of interesting, is also missing the point.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    @MasterSeedy
    Without getting into the specific examples you give, i agree with pretty much everyting you wrote.
    "Right now, a lot of people seem to feel differently than you about what constitutes "reasonably possible", and your "want" vs. "need" while kind of interesting, is also missing the point."
    While my opinion on this matter may be unpopular, it isn't necessarily wrong. The way i see it is that the zeta droprate being super frustrating is a bigger issue than the amount of zeta's being accessible for the players. Coincedentilly (not really) said droprate is also the reason why alot of players seem to think the "need" more zeta's.
    I like gated progression, everyone playing this game does, eventhough i really, really hate it from time to time. Specially at moments when i get 0, 0, 0, 0, zeta's from the challenge. However, when i look at my roster and see 13 zeta's while another player only has 6 i'm all of a sudden glad that zeta's are hard to get.
    I understand that the difference between me and another player is relative, so i probably would have had 26 and that other guy only 12 if they were more accessible. But i also realize that the difference between 13 over 6 is alot bigger than 26 over 13. The more accessible things are ingame, the less your choices matter. Also making more and more content a joke, wich you acknowledged yourself.
    Eventually the zeta's will become more accessible, just like the omega's did. Not entirely sure if we actually get relatively less omega's than we used to because of zeta's also requiring omega's though. Maybe purple mats are a better example, haha.
    End of the day, i think reward/effort ratio for zeta's is still fine. Hence the "need" vs "want" argument. Others may feel they "need" more of them to still enjoy the game, i just don't. I "want" more of them, but that's just because they're scarse. If they weren't i wouldn't want them. It's good to want things ingame, it keeps me playing.
    It's all subjective though, so yea...