Arena Payout Based on Average Rank

I'm not sure if I've seen this on here before or not, but a thought occurred to me. What if your arena payout was based on an average rank held throughout the day? Say every 15 minutes your current rank is saved and used to calculate a 24 hour rolling average. Once your payout time hits, you get your payout based on that rank compared to your shard mates.

I think this would solve a few problems:
- Prevent 'sniping' at payout times
- Reduce collusion of top ranked players by making it harder to coordinate
- Increase competition and potentially more refreshes to maintain a high average

I know it would require a whole restructure to how payouts are calculated, but I think it may solve some problems that have been around for a long time.

What do you think?

Replies

• Players would love this idea. But from a business standpoint its absolutely terrible. They don't want to be giving everyone 500 crystals for 1st place every day. They would lose too much money....money they could be using to make an awesome General Grievous rework :)
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    STRIKEBOMB wrote: »
    Players would love this idea. But from a business standpoint its absolutely terrible. They don't want to be giving everyone 500 crystals for 1st place every day. They would lose too much money....money they could be using to make an awesome General Grievous rework :)

I would think this would actually make it harder to get 1st place. Unless you're the one whale nobody on your shard can beat, maintaining an average rank of 1 throughout the entire day would be extremely difficult.

I wouldn't love this idea, it would be even more miserable than arena already is to have to worry about my rank not just once but all day long.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Players would love this idea. But from a business standpoint its absolutely terrible. They don't want to be giving everyone 500 crystals for 1st place every day. They would lose too much money....money they could be using to make an awesome General Grievous rework :)

I would think this would actually make it harder to get 1st place. Unless you're the one whale nobody on your shard can beat, maintaining an average rank of 1 throughout the entire day would be extremely difficult.

I wouldn't love this idea, it would be even more miserable than arena already is to have to worry about my rank not just once but all day long.

Agreed, no one would ever get first.
  • Witzkers wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »

Agreed, no one would ever get first.

Well, technically, someone would :)
  • Terrible idea.

This would be an idea if it was possible for players to better than others but the current state of arena is that anyone can beat anyone else in the top 30. This will just mean you have to login 500 times a day to make sure you don't drop rank.
  • This would probably force me to use crystals to stay at my rank. That's not something I want to do. Plus you'd have to watch your rank throughout the day. I try to spread my battles throughout the day but this could be a pain.

yeah i read it wrong. i thought the op was saying it should be the highest rank you achieve throughout the day
  • Just to clear up any confusion, there would still only be 1 top payout. Maybe their average rank for the day is 3.2 for example because they dropped and fought back throughout the day, but if thats better than anyone else, they get the #1 payout.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Just to clear up any confusion, there would still only be 1 top payout. Maybe their average rank for the day is 3.2 for example because they dropped and fought back throughout the day, but if thats better than anyone else, they get the #1 payout.

Then you're still making it worse, since currently up to one person per time zone gets the #1 payout, not just one person total.
    Just to clear up any confusion, there would still only be 1 top payout. Maybe their average rank for the day is 3.2 for example because they dropped and fought back throughout the day, but if thats better than anyone else, they get the #1 payout.

Then you're still making it worse, since currently up to one person per time zone gets the #1 payout, not just one person total.

I love this idea. The forum's would be a blast to watch. The outrage would be hilarious.
  • STRIKEBOMB wrote: »

If they stick to panic farming to produce revenue, this wouldn't affect that too much, yes people would have overall more crystals, however it takes so many packs to 7 star a new character usually at 1,300 a piece, in the grand scheme of things this would be a welcome change.

Not true, it would still be 1 player per time zone per day. This is just a change to the structure of how we decide who is #1, #2, #3, etc. It would not change how many crystals are awarded each day.

Not true, it would still be 1 player per time zone per day. This is just a change to the structure of how we decide who is #1, #2, #3, etc. It would not change how many crystals are awarded each day.

Because the final payouts will be based on highest average rank, not highest overall rank.
  • Exactly
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

Well it's your proposal so you get to define what it is (despite not having made it clear in your OP). Regardless, the original point stands - having to care about and watch my rank all day instead of at one specific time would be absolutely miserable.