Rey’s Hero Journey [Mega]

Replies

• Cloud_Starkiller_66
    24 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    NicWester wrote: »
    Fatzke wrote: »
    The requirements were leaked weeks ago and won't change.

Just like the time the requirements were leaked for Mother Talzin.

My bad I can never seems to get gifs/memes to work properly in here.
    Post edited by Cloud_Starkiller_66 on
  • Calx wrote: »
    Rey is supposed to be the next iconic, central character, so her abilities won't (hopefully) be named "Hit Super Hard" and "Do Awesome Stuff".
    This would be pretty awesome. :D And probably the most accurate names they could choose. Also a unique called "Gamebreaker" or "Massively Overpowered".
  • Germi
    553 posts Member

It is true that Mother Talzin had a full movie dedicated to her !!
    I didn’t see too much speculation on her except that we would need NS
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    docmorbius wrote: »
    So is "Die Rückkehr des Jedi" plural as well? because I'm pretty sure there was only 1 Jedi returning.

So what makes Die Rückkehr des Jedi (The Return of the Jedi) - singular, compared to:

Die letzten Jedi (The Last Jedi) as plural???

Please explain German to me - thanks.

I mean Jedi is singular and plural - Jedi can refer to a single jedi or a group of jedi.

Sheep can refer to that sheep called Daisy or that herd of sheep in that field.

Yet a title like The Last Sheep could refer to one sheep or more - so what is different about the German language that alters this title or more importantly alters the term Jedi from the titles above (The Return of the Jedi and The Last Jedi) from being singular to plural?
  • Reyalp wrote: »
    There will be at least 2 weeks of flash events to gear scavenger Rey (like Farmboy Luke).

I don’t think there’ll be flash events this time. Two reasons—
    1) They changed the way flash events work last month with the Nightsister events. Advanced Tactics.

2) They announced that Rey’s Hero’s Journey will be coming. If you remember back to Luke, they announced Luke’s flash events would happen to get you ready for his Hero’s Journey.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NewCaprica
    124 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    So is "Die Rückkehr des Jedi" plural as well? because I'm pretty sure there was only 1 Jedi returning.

Singular. Confirmed by Rian Johnson at Jimmy Kimmel's yesterday. And yes, it is Luke.
  • One of Rey (Starkiller Base) unique will be called: "Get the F-outa Here" - Any time Rey (Starkiller Base) takes damage, a random enemy unit is instantly defeated, granting all allies 100% turn meter, and resets all abilities on cooldown.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Germi wrote: »

It is true that Mother Talzin had a full movie dedicated to her !!
    I didn’t see too much speculation on her except that we would need NS

GG was incorrectly assumed as a requirement.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Goober1_
    472 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm hoping it's " fracture all "
    This ability can not be evaded or resisted
    Cooldown 1
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    NewCaprica wrote: »

Singular. Confirmed by Rian Johnson at Jimmy Kimmel's yesterday. And yes, it is Luke.

However in French it is clearly plural.
    There is something going on here.
  • Germi wrote: »

I'm French and yes it's plural for us in France but Rian Johnson confirmed it, it's meant to be singular.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

So how is it plural in French?

Return of the Jedi = Le retour du jedi

The Last Jedi = le dernier jedi

Does the "du" in Return of the Jedi set the singularity in the language and the lack of "du" in the last jedi set the plural?
  • In italian it is plural 100%
    Gli ultimi jedi
    (Singular sounds: L'ultimo jedi)
  • Sing us a song piano man....

9 O’clock on a Saturday?
    Daveofett Quantum's Web

Www. Conventionsetc.info

Facebook.com/Daveofett
  • NewCaprica wrote: »

I'm French and yes it's plural for us in France but Rian Johnson confirmed it, it's meant to be singular.

Ryan Johnson says to him it’s always been singular but he never definitively said it is singular. Seems like he was trying to misdirect when he said “to me it’s always been singular”
  • Things change. Plots change. Luke is the last Jedi in the beginning....
  • For real, guys, are you still on about this? Title says one thing, writer says another. None of us know anything. Just wait two weeks and we’ll all find out together, but stop hashing and rehashing the same information over and over...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Boo wrote: »
    Yusef wrote: »
    In my opinon Rey is not going to become a Jedi. In swgoh Rey's hero version will probably be Rey lightsaber version, similair yo battlefront 2. The reason I doubt Rey will become a jedi is because star wars 8 title is the LastJedi. Therwfore Rey might start a new group of warriors using the lightsabers.

It has already been confirmed, that "the last jedi" is meant to be plural.

For Example the official german title is "Die letzten Jedi", which is clear to be the plural.

Its a translation issue nothing more - jedi can be singular as well as plural - like "sheep"

Luke made it quite clear that it is time for the Jedi (as a whole) to end - why train Rey as a Jedi? Rey is going to be trained as a new type of force user - utilizing both dark & light as per the Wills. Luke is the last Jedi.

Are you serious? I would trust somebody who is capable of speaking multiple languages more than you if it comes to translations.

Of couse in english things are different, but this doesnt mean that it has to be the same for other languages. It is definately plural because why should there be multiple wrong translations and only your guess of title being singular is true.

Spanish - plural, german - plural, french - plural
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

Does the "du" in Return of the Jedi set the singularity in the language and the lack of "du" in the last jedi set the plural?

It is not the DU
    It is the THE

In French
    In ROTJ : the (DU means One Jedi)
    In TLJ : the ( LES is plural)
  • skywhopper
    451 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Boo wrote: »

"du jedi" in French is singular (plural would be "des jedi"), but the French title of Episode VIII is "Les derniers Jedi" which is unequivocally plural ("les" = plural "the", "derniers" = plural "last" (vs "dernier" which would be singular)).
  • Germi
    553 posts Member
    Things change. Plots change. Luke is the last Jedi in the beginning....

You are wise !!
  • I'm so tired of this singular/plural argument. It's pointless. It doesn't matter. We'll all find out in two weeks, then nobody will care about the wording of the title.
  • Jackkepten
    31 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Let me give a short German lesson ;)
    In German "Return of the Jedi" is translated with "Die Rückkehr der Jedi-Ritter" (which means Jedi knights retranslated into English) and is the plural version.
    "Die letzten Jedi" is a plural version too, but it is already confirmed that there will be only one Jedi - Luke.
    In my opinion the German title of The Last Jedi is simply a mistake

Edit: Or Rian is not the nice guy we thought he would be ;)

Edit 2: My French is not that good, but it is plural too, because the correct French title is "Les Derniers Jedi" (Les = plural, le = singular)
  • Germi
    553 posts Member

On Kimmel’s shownit wasn’t so obvious imo.
    Misdirection it could be.

I haven’t seen the movie ... lol
  • Boo wrote: »

So what makes Die Rückkehr des Jedi (The Return of the Jedi) - singular, compared to:

Die letzten Jedi (The Last Jedi) as plural???

Please explain German to me - thanks.

I mean Jedi is singular and plural - Jedi can refer to a single jedi or a group of jedi.

Sheep can refer to that sheep called Daisy or that herd of sheep in that field.

Yet a title like The Last Sheep could refer to one sheep or more - so what is different about the German language that alters this title or more importantly alters the term Jedi from the titles above (The Return of the Jedi and The Last Jedi) from being singular to plural?

In german we have articles which are indicating if the noun is plural or singular. "Die Rückkehr .DES. Jedi" would be the genetive of Jedi - means singular.

"Die letzen Jedi" are plural. singular would be "Der/Die letzte Jedi"
  • NicWester wrote: »
    For real, guys, are you still on about this? Title says one thing, writer says another. None of us know anything. Just wait two weeks and we’ll all find out together, but stop hashing and rehashing the same information over and over...
    What he said ^
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Rojas
    336 posts Member
    I'm so tired of this singular/plural argument. It's pointless. It doesn't matter. We'll all find out in two weeks, then nobody will care about the wording of the title.

@Hannibal_Bexus 2 weeks? you mean next week - 9 days!
  • Calx wrote: »
    Does anyone else see this potential spoiler problem?

If Rey were to match, then the upcoming event will be a walkthrough of Episode VII, but the unlocked character will be rooted in Episode VIII. While abilities and ability-names aren't as spoiler-ey as a full blown cutscene, isn't this still somewhat of a problem? As great (and profitable) as this game is, a multi-million dollar game can't spoil a multi-billion dollar blockbuster.

I like your train of thought, but in the end, I don't think this matters, given that the trailers and toys have already spoiled as much or more than ability names in the game could do. We already have dozens of quotes and a handful of fight scenes that give away a ton about the movie. If you read the printed articles there's even more. We already have KRU's new TIE fighter, and we know there's an evil version of BB-8 out there. I just don't see this as a blocker for releasing Hero Rey along with or even before the movie.
  • NicWester wrote: »

https://media.giphy.com/media/XOywjQnU8R89q/200w.gif

My bad I can never seems to get gifs/memes to work properly in here.

(Click the picture button above the post edit box (supposedly looks like a frame with a mountain and sun I guess, fourth button from the right for me) and paste the URL there... or see what it adds to either side of the URL when you do that and you can also type that in by hand.)
This discussion has been closed.