Looking to return to the game after a loooong break - advice?

Hello all

I'm looking to get back into the game after a long break. I first started in Nov 15 (almost from inception) and took a break around July 2016 to focus on sorting out some serious issues at work. Was going to get back into it when things settled down but then baby number 2 came along. Had a few videos pop up on my YouTube feed which reinvigorated the feeling to get back into it.

Before my break my main account was consistently top 100 or top 50 and my alt was top 5 (1st most days). Mostly FTP with a few splurges here and there.

I logged into SWGOH GG to remind myself of where I left everything:

Main

#2187 Arena
51 x toons
28 x 7*, 2 x gear 11, 7 x gear 10 (JKA, QGJ, GM Yoda, Phasma, Snips, GS, Teebo, Luminara, Asajj, EE, Dathcha, Dooku, Bariss, Daka, Boba Fett, Jawa, Res Pilot, Sid)
Level 80

Alt

#545 Arena
50 x toons
20 x 7*, 2 x gear 11, 9 gear 10 (STH, QGJ, Dooku, Rey, Phasma, GS, RG, Poggle, Luminara, Leia, AA, IG86, Poe, Kylo, Bariss, Sid, HRS)
Level 80

I'm looking for some guidance as to the best way to get back into the game. With two kids now I probably won't be able to run two accounts and will probably go mostly FTP. Given so much has changed over past year or so should I:

1. Start from scratch and restart the long haul so I can focus farms based on the current events/meta etc
2. Restart my main, lots of ground to catch up with lots of well established characters, some of which might be useful in the current form of the game
3. Restart my alt, less of a grind to climb arena but will still be hard to pick up lost ground against all the new meta and level 85 opponents

Also a shout out to any ANZGC guys on here, if I do get back in would like to rejoin the guild if possible.

Gio

Replies

• Hey I'd say font restart no point rearming all and you can get the tons anyways as they come back.
  • Restart. You'll be way behind your shards and as ftp you'll struggle the get a decent amount of crystals.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Moved to strategy section
  • Start over.
    Your shard is so far ahead of you
  • start over
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • UnknownEcho
    75 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I was in a similar situation I took a 9 month break when I started playing Destiny a while back and was quite far down when it came to arena after 6 months I've managed to push up from 3000 in arena too top 100 it's not worth restarting as the grind will be a long one.

I'm also F2P so it can be done just takes time
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Maybe not as far ahead as you think. I also took a lengthy break due to RL / work / kids in June '16 - I'm also on a Nov '15 day 1 hard-launch arena. Even back at the beginning of the year, I THINK I recall the arena server being all but dead after around rank 500. Essentially the rest of the players had either quit or were so inactive (I presume quit because I saw a few players I knew that had quit and hadn't played still in the 500 or so rank range. I'd have to think your shard may now be down to 500 or less actives?
  • Hey! I was in the same boat as you; I started in the first month of launch and kept up with the game until ~July 2016. When I started back up it was a little disheartening. I had a killer jedi team, but with all the updates they were obviously nerf'd..but since I was already lvl80 the grind to max level was not so bad. I will admit though it was a little infuriating to get caught back up game knowledge wise, because I felt like I may as well be brand new to the game all over again, and I did not want to make any more mistakes with who I farmed next and what not. Just do some light reading on here for good ways to get focused on your priorities.

I say get a good Rebel team, if you don't care so much for them: build Phoenix Squad since they can be used for EP event and for getting Thrawn. That 1 team will get you 2 legendary toons! Then Scoundrels for getting credits and 5 5* DS ships for Zeta mat challenge. Past that it is kinda up to you for what you think you should be prioritizing. MOD challenges to take in account, event units, Territory Battles and Raids..they did a really good job at making certain heroes good for only certain aspects of the game now.

Long story short: You are behind..technically. But you have a huge advantage for coming back in at such a high level, previous experience, and the shards you are on get updated..pretty sure. Though it is fun starting fresh, I wouldn't suggest it.
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I took a long break too and started again recently. I was surprised that catching back up to my shard (April 2016) wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I'm actually doing much better now than when I left. (I'm occasionally cracking the top 100 now.)

I think the answers I'm seeing can be broken down in two ways:

If you really care about the arena and placing high there and getting big crystal payouts, then restart. That'll give you your best chance to keep a high spot in the arena.

If you just want to have fun again with some nice toons and can be content with not chasing the meta for a top 50 spot, then don't restart, and probably go with your alt account (I think the toons in that one have more value in the current game—beyond what any of us could have guessed before, HRS will now make you an extremely valuable guild member :P.) You'll get to still play with the toons that you liked and will be surprised that some of your old toons are even better now, like Leia and Kylo Ren. (Though like you've noted, Jedi have fallen out of the meta; but throw a zeta on your Barriss, and she's totally meta again.)

And if you happen to be looking for a guild, send me a message. The guild I'm in called "VIII" is always looking for anyone who's willing to help out. No power or level or toon requirements. Active but laid back (a few of us have kids too, including me).

Best of luck!
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might take a harder look at my alt as it only slipped into 545. Perhaps I might have gotten lucky and more people dropped out after me. I don't think I will have much luck on the main though, that shard was vicious and tenacious, but had heaps of guild buddies on there back in the day.
    I saw the perfect start guide the other day and so had started that process. I can always pick that up again if the alt is too hard to pick up again.
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might take a harder look at my alt as it only slipped into 545. Perhaps I might have gotten lucky and more people dropped out after me. I don't think I will have much luck on the main though, that shard was vicious and tenacious, but had heaps of guild buddies on there back in the day.
    I saw the perfect start guide the other day and so had started that process. I can always pick that up again if the alt is too hard to pick up again.

Try moving up with your main. I bet you about 1500 people ranked ahead of you, at least, are no longer active.
  • Start fresh, get chaze, and aim for the top right away
    Who cares about ranking top 200 when you can get top 20
  • Hello all

I'm looking to get back into the game after a long break. I first started in Nov 15 (almost from inception) and took a break around July 2016 to focus on sorting out some serious issues at work. Was going to get back into it when things settled down but then baby number 2 came along. Had a few videos pop up on my YouTube feed which reinvigorated the feeling to get back into it.

Before my break my main account was consistently top 100 or top 50 and my alt was top 5 (1st most days). Mostly FTP with a few splurges here and there.

I logged into SWGOH GG to remind myself of where I left everything:

Main

#2187 Arena
    51 x toons
    28 x 7*, 2 x gear 11, 7 x gear 10 (JKA, QGJ, GM Yoda, Phasma, Snips, GS, Teebo, Luminara, Asajj, EE, Dathcha, Dooku, Bariss, Daka, Boba Fett, Jawa, Res Pilot, Sid)
    Level 80

Alt

#545 Arena
    50 x toons
    20 x 7*, 2 x gear 11, 9 gear 10 (STH, QGJ, Dooku, Rey, Phasma, GS, RG, Poggle, Luminara, Leia, AA, IG86, Poe, Kylo, Bariss, Sid, HRS)
    Level 80

I'm looking for some guidance as to the best way to get back into the game. With two kids now I probably won't be able to run two accounts and will probably go mostly FTP. Given so much has changed over past year or so should I:

1. Start from scratch and restart the long haul so I can focus farms based on the current events/meta etc
    2. Restart my main, lots of ground to catch up with lots of well established characters, some of which might be useful in the current form of the game
    3. Restart my alt, less of a grind to climb arena but will still be hard to pick up lost ground against all the new meta and level 85 opponents

Also a shout out to any ANZGC guys on here, if I do get back in would like to rejoin the guild if possible.

Gio

Farm Rebels and Light Side, all of them ARE BROKEN, and they will be ALWAYS on the Meta
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    restart. gl
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • I had a bit of a go on my alt today. Was able to pick off a few people who must have also quit and got to 430. There's lots of gear 12 wiggs chaze cls GK etc ahead of me though which looks scary. I was going well on GW too until node 12 and hit a Wiggs Leia K2SO Rolo. I threw everything at it but was only able to take out Han Biggs and K2SO.

I have about 2800 crystals so can pay for a free refreshes daily but still looking at another week before I level up to 81, let alone 85. Had a go at ships too but attends there is worse, I'm at 892 and will need a few weeks to get proper competitive there even with level 80 Ackbar, GS and Biggs.

I'm thinking I might just use this account for some practice and general fun while hoarding energy for my new account.

Thanks again for the suggestions and contributions.
  • Hi all. I played a few arena battles today and did a lot better than I expected. I cannot believe my 18month old lvl 80 meta team of Dooku qgj rey rg and sth pulled off some wins.
  • If you are rank 480 and have g12 you have to fight you can still get higher. Depend on your speed mods and character you have. You need gk, r2, and dn and thrawn if you have those you are go gold
  • Darksouls2020
    368 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Since you have none of those hero and no chaze it might be a goood time to start over there no way around it you need some of those heroes
  • Hi all. I think my alt only has about 250 active players as I did not drop at all from 248 over night, and I'm sure my level 80 sticks out like a sore thumb). Been picking battles carefully but also test battling the newer comps. Got destroyed by a DN EP Vader team though, that's nasty. Will see how I go after a month while I horde energy on the new account I started.