What makes Thrawn a good leader?

I constantly see Thrawn being toted as the best leader for an Empire team, but I don't get it. He gives some stat boosts and a cleanse that the ai can't properly use, or the player if the character is ability blocked and/or stunned. So what makes him so much better than a Krennic lead, with the ability blocking, potency, and protection regen on crits?

Replies

• AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Krennic is hard to get and requires Death Trooper (also a hard farm) to be optimal.
    As for Thrawn read his leadership ability. I agree it's the best lead in a predominantly Empire squad. He works nicely with Nihilus too - get annihilate off quicker.
    Post edited by AlexanderG on
  • Options
    1. Big protection bump for starting survivability
    2. Tons of passive protection regeneration for match-long survivability
    3. Insane amounts of TM gained from debuffs

That's on top of + offense skills. It's one of the game's best leaders.
  • Options
    2% protection is negligible and a horrible zeta because if with the leader, and 4 protection primaries on a Shoretrooper, one status effect would heal 944 protection. Combined with Shoretrooper being the really only good source of buffs on an empire team. Second, debuffs from other meta teams are thrown out are stubs from Han, or CL who can also stun, remove meter, buff block, or best case for the team tenacity down. None of which are very good for only 20% meter. Finally he gives 25% offense as opposed to Krennic's which is better crit chance which is +150% damage (without mods)
  • Options
    against gk krennic lead is useless. Thrawn protection recover is great, shore plus rg or gk or st give a lot of status effect, a lot of protection. i use him, i've also zkrennic and trhawn is better
  • Options
    Krennic lead is bugged and useless against GK.
    Thrawn gives protection and offense boosts, and the most important Tm gain.
    Now regarding his lead zeta it's so underrated, you get the 2% twice so it's 4% per debuff, also a fast shore and storm can keep buffing the team, for example when shore taunts he gets 4% x2 (when the buffs disappear) which is 8%.
    After I zeta'd his lead I noticed a huge difference in the survivability of my empire team and started finishing battles with almost full protection.
    Thrawn is definitely the best leader for empire.
    Here are a couple of videos to see it in action:

https://youtu.be/6KoLPHrvmn4

https://youtu.be/xOBseStQZDc
  • Options
    In addition, on offense at least, Maneuver is a seriously underrated special for fixing turn order and speeding up cooldowns.
  • Gawejn
    1106 posts Member
    Options
    Thrawn zeta lead is i think one of the best recovery of protection for whole team in game. Gaining or losing buff, debuff gives 2% every time, if there is speed down, defense down, tenacity down and buff imunity aplied by Cls it means that shore will gain 16% of protection only from this. So if it is moded fully with protection it can be around 12k protection recovery or even more. But during encounter amount of gains/loses status effects is higher than 8. Around 20 i think. Fully geared shore can have 100k protection under Thrawn lead. So Thrawn zeta means 40k protection recovery for shore. Adding one special for shore of protection recovery from Thrawn so it is another 40k. Combined all of that shore has around 180k protection during fight. I think it is just great.
  • Options
    Speaking of Thrawn... After a freak auto battle in GW, my Hera died around node 7. So I pieced together Yoda lead with Kanan, Zeb, and Ezra. Added Thrawn as my 5th. Discovered that he works really well with Ezra because Thrawn is tagged as "Support" making him gain turn meter when Ezra calls him for assist. This combined with my Kanan's ability to hold taunt (even without Hera zeta Kanan can gain turn meter rather quickly)
    Anyway, speeding up thrawns turn meter between fractures and zebs daze/stagger allowed the fracture to last long enough to help me take out several nodes with GK and CLS.
  • Options
    Gawejn wrote: »
    Thrawn zeta lead is i think one of the best recovery of protection for whole team in game. Gaining or losing buff, debuff gives 2% every time, if there is speed down, defense down, tenacity down and buff imunity aplied by Cls it means that shore will gain 16% of protection only from this. So if it is moded fully with protection it can be around 12k protection recovery or even more. But during encounter amount of gains/loses status effects is higher than 8. Around 20 i think. Fully geared shore can have 100k protection under Thrawn lead. So Thrawn zeta means 40k protection recovery for shore. Adding one special for shore of protection recovery from Thrawn so it is another 40k. Combined all of that shore has around 180k protection during fight. I think it is just great.

Sorry for double post but protection stacking like this works insanely well. My Kanan has about 75k protection after mods. When teamed with Phoenix squad he gains about 13k-14k more from zebs shared unique so close to 90k.
    Kanan special can give 40% protection up
    Ezra special can give 40% protection up (when used on a tank)
    Zebs special can give 50% protection up

On a side note - putting protection up on Yoda and having him share with entire team is awesome.
  • Options
    In addition, on offense at least, Maneuver is a seriously underrated special for fixing turn order and speeding up cooldowns.

true I forgot to mention it, also it helps in prolonging thrawn's fracture
  • Options
    On offense his versatility is his greatest value, on defense the TM + protection gains. I know the AI's use of the cleanse is not the best when defending but he's still one of the best overall leaders.
  • Options
    Zombie961 wrote: »
    2% protection is negligible and a horrible zeta because if with the leader, and 4 protection primaries on a Shoretrooper, one status effect would heal 944 protection. Combined with Shoretrooper being the really only good source of buffs on an empire team. Second, debuffs from other meta teams are thrown out are stubs from Han, or CL who can also stun, remove meter, buff block, or best case for the team tenacity down. None of which are very good for only 20% meter. Finally he gives 25% offense as opposed to Krennic's which is better crit chance which is +150% damage (without mods)

Glad to see the entire rest of the responders that actually have Thrawn's lead with a zeta supported my commentary. Maybe next time if you open a thread asking for info don't be so close-minded with the responses you get. The response you gave here makes it seem like you don't have much experience playing this game and definitely not playing with Empire. I could pick apart really all the lines here for various reasons, but I'll specifically ask what makes you think a crit chance leader, with pretty much all teams having GK and his cc immunity given to the squad, is a good way to go for empire? Also, you're relying on a debuff from DK's leader actually sticking and not being cleansed by R2 / GK? Just by being a cc / debuff leader DK's lead in this meta is just a flat out awful choice pretty much against most any other viable empire lead in the game today in arena at least.
  • Options
    But I'll specifically ask what makes you think a crit chance leader, with pretty much all teams having GK and his cc immunity given to the squad, is a good way to go for empire? Also, you're relying on a debuff from DK's leader actually sticking and not being cleansed by R2 / GK? Just by being a cc / debuff leader DK's lead in this meta is just a flat out awful choice pretty much against most any other viable empire lead in the game today in arena at least.
    First I'd like to ask how defending my point is "close-minded"? But on to the point, every non resistance team (and even some of them) in arena starts by killing Kenobi, with sometimes an exception for raid Han. But for the most part it's Kenobi first, which removes their crit immunity. Second, all cleanses excluding R2's comes from a special ability, which even then, relies on a crit which, with Deathtrooper, Krennic is immune to, and Shore gives out, which won't always prevent all crits but minimize them. Finally, even if they do cleanse it's after they have already ability blocked, which means it's doing its job.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thrawn is necessary in any empire squad--krennic isn't. So first, we have an issue with overcrowding.

Now for the comparison:

thrawn's lead doesn't require any caveats or setup. It's chalk full of passive bonuses and a cleanse. Director krennic requires debuffs on our opponent to attach the AB. Tenacity up and cleanses really impact this. R2 brings cleanse, barriss brings a passive cleanse, cls can cleanse himself and gk/chirriut/Rex bring teamwide cleanses. It's not very easy to guarantee debuffs (unless you splash mother talzin). Rex and chirriut provide tenacity up so sticking the compulsory debuff is not guaranteed (not including the minimum 15% chance to resist the required debuff).

If we argue that maneuver is not optimal on defense, then it's equally arguable that krennic's lead is even worse. Defense ai won't hold an attempt to attach a debuff if ten up exists additionally, ai defense won't prioritize targeting bebuffed targets to even attempt to attach AB.

The crit requirement is also a hinderence. Rex leads crave crit. Barriss passively heals up damage and gk provides passive crit immunity. So even if you do manage to get a debuff to last forever, you'd still have to crit vs a team designed to punish crits.

I think you may have missed something regarding his protection regen. First off, he brings 15% extra protection to all empire. This is amazing synergy with his PASSIVE protection regen. 2% each time ANY status effect is gained and lost. This means each buff and debuff will bring 4% regen at the cost of simply existing. We don't need to do anything other then get a status effect.

Finally, and perhaps more importantly, krennic's lead is slow. Thrawn brings enormous amounts of tm gains--20% each time we resist or are inflicted by a debuff! This decreases the duration of harmful stuns and any other terrible debuffs. This allows empire allies to attack more much often which gains synergy with his 25% increase to offense.

Krennic lead isn't bad, but it's not the same level as thrawn.
  • Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    Thrawn is necessary in any empire squad--krennic isn't. So first, we have an issue with overcrowding.

That's funny, because I have three different Empire squads that Thrawn isn't a part of.

• Options
    swankerme wrote: »

That's funny, because I have three different Empire squads that Thrawn isn't a part of.
    So you probably have a poor arena ranking and you are purposefully weakening your team. Sounds solid to me.
  • Options

Then you have 3 different Empire squads that could be made significantly better by removing someone(anyone....) and adding Thrawn.

Thrawn is the second best character in the game imo, and the only reason he isn't #1 is he can't be used in TBs yet.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options

So develop your opinion, share your squad and rank in arena.

Thrawn is the best leader for Empire in arena. His 2% protection recovery seems weak but in fact it's a key changer with high debuffer teams like CLS squads. The 2% gain is also for buffs, meaning that every taunt, crit immunity, defense up allows to recover protection.

The cleanse provided by Thrawn lead is also a plus. When your ShT receive buff immunity from CLS (providing TM gain too), ShT can use this special to cleanse, gains 50% TM, and regain taunt faster. I also use that ability when I don't want a toon to hit and receive counter (ie when a toon is low HP).

The +25% offense bonus and +15% protection is also a nice to have. My team was until now Thrawn, ShT, Storm, DT and Tarkin. I've replaced Tarkin with Veers this weekend because it's fun with Thrawn and the other troopers.
  • Gawejn
    1106 posts Member
    Options
    He is also very strong. Good amount of health/protection makes him solid. He fast, this is next good quality. He doesnt die in one round like Palp. If he would add some speed to whole team like Tarkin Thrawn would be excellent leader.