About Arena and Payout System

Cogito
94 posts Member
edited November 2017
Dear all,

I don't know if i'm the only one to experience arena that way, I didn't find any similar recent post.

We have a serious problem with the increasing number of players claiming top tiers in arena, since it is resumed to the use of a bunch of 4 ~ 6 meta toons that anyone can get. It can even make useless the importance of mod farming (the GK zarris nihilus team with +50speed each toon can kill anyone regardless of the ennemy speed).

The direct effect of that is for one payout ... 10-15 players fighting each other instead of few players (3-4 few months ago). I'm okay with the increasing number of players claiming top, but if you wanna go that way the payout sytem has to change. Following different model of other games, like "reaching highest rank before payout" system or whatever.

The only way to keep the current sytem and to avoid the growing number of players claiming top with the SAME team ... is of course to change the meta SIGNIFICANTLY. Meaning that it is not simply adding a new meta able to win on offense, but adding a new meta team CANCELING the current meta on DEFENSE.

Since CLS (already many month ago now), absolutely NO NEW toon changed the meta. A change in the meta would automatically reduce the number of players claiming the top in arena.

Another aspect would be to change the defense system, by allowing players to "set" a specific "macro" of actions for their team.

How do you guys feel about it ?

Cheers

@CG_Kozispoon , @CG_RyDiggs
Post edited by Cogito on

Replies

• Though any remodel of the squad arena would be great, the fact is it's *not* fun anymore. Ever since CLS was unleashed onto the public, my arena shard has turned into 98% of people using him. Not only is it boring, but it's frustrating to see nothing but CLS leads almost all of the time, and having such a low chance of winning as a Dark Side team user. It's just fighting near cookie cutter team after cookie cutter team, that is making it so boring since not many people use other leaders. And with Lightside getting so much attention (especially rebels, there's no denying that at all), it feels like there's no point in running darkside at all.

Sure, it's great CG/EA is *finally* releasing some Darkside toons, but these last two released for First Order and Nightsisters just feel like it's meant to shut people like me (who prefer dark side toons) with somewhat underwhelming DS toons. But then again i'm just rambling from how disappointing I am with Kylo unmasked, and how little he helps the first order against (what seems like) the permanent CLS meta
  • Please admin delete this thread. Arena is fine.
  • Top 30 teams on my shard. ZLS/Z2 Zarriss 2 randoms. They are holding the top spots hostage rotating each other to 1-10 at payout times so they each get max rewards.

I have only seen one Zhrawn, Death Trooper, Stormtrooper, Krennic, Veers team mix it up in there. He usually gets up there then knocked back down quickliy.

Every other team 500-30 is Wiggs, Chaze Lando or Sith on Speed. A new take is appearing though with Cody and Leia. Not sure how viable that is since Cody’s Speed is a barrier. Seeing my first encounters with Mother teams and Ewoks.

How about letting people have a discussion? Just because you find it okay doesn't mean it is for others.

Or you could find another?
    Arena is doable yes, but “fun”... Not so much. I have CLS but why why why, make him so powerful? I know hes hard to get and all, but this is a game where we use 5 characters in a team?
    And is he really that hard to get anyway? Everyone that didn’t get him first time could get him next time.

I second the nomination
  • Adoy_IdeJ wrote: »
    Please admin delete this thread. Arena is fine.

How about letting people have a discussion? Just because you find it okay doesn't mean it is for others.

How about letting people have a discussion? Just because you don't find it okay doesn't mean it is that way for others
  • WhackyFishi
    114 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Adoy_IdeJ wrote: »
    Please admin delete this thread. Arena is fine.

How about letting people have a discussion? Just because you don't find it okay doesn't mean it is that way for others

That was a kitten comparison, you weren't having a discussion at all you came to a thread where others were discussing something and said/agreed it should be deleted to silence that discussion
    Post edited by Ambassador on
  • This thread fell apart pretty quick.

annie-movie-fists.gif
  • Agreeing w someone is a discussion. We both read post both agreed said post was not warranted as it is just not truth and also not how arena should work. We disagreed w u and now u what to silence this discussion.
  • SIGNIFICATIVELY
  • Seigi wrote: »
    Though any remodel of the squad arena would be great, the fact is it's *not* fun anymore. Ever since CLS was unleashed onto the public, my arena shard has turned into 98% of people using him. Not only is it boring, but it's frustrating to see nothing but CLS leads almost all of the time, and having such a low chance of winning as a Dark Side team user. It's just fighting near cookie cutter team after cookie cutter team, that is making it so boring since not many people use other leaders. And with Lightside getting so much attention (especially rebels, there's no denying that at all), it feels like there's no point in running darkside at all.

Sure, it's great CG/EA is *finally* releasing some Darkside toons, but these last two released for First Order and Nightsisters just feel like it's meant to shut people like me (who prefer dark side toons) with somewhat underwhelming DS toons. But then again i'm just rambling from how disappointing I am with Kylo unmasked, and how little he helps the first order against (what seems like) the permanent CLS meta

Yeah exactly ! But even more annoying than CLS is the zarris problem, you might have a full gold CLS meta team with zolo an be defeated on defense by a random purple zarris with bad mods.

This aside, the fact that too many people on same payout are stressing for the top 3 is a problem to me. Today it is 10-15 people ... in few months it will be many more cause the same meta team easy to get will still be viable
  • The OP wanted the payout system changed due to so many arena teams being cookie cutter and having to compete against 10-15 of them now instead of 3-4 like they did before CLS was released. First off while the cookie cutter squads are bad for meta break down, having more players being able to compete for top tier pay outs is great for the game. Competition is good it encourages people to play more, to try harder, and gives more players the thought that they can compete with the whales instead of just being eaten by them. If the OP is upset at a little competition then well they should take their participation trophy attitude somewhere else.
    Geldar
  • They are not all at the top of arena just cause they have cls they are there because they colluded together to do so. In this very forum people look for people in their shard for this. Wry reason. Nothing u can do about it.
  • Geldar82 wrote: »
    The OP wanted the payout system changed due to so many arena teams being cookie cutter and having to compete against 10-15 of them now instead of 3-4 like they did before CLS was released. First off while the cookie cutter squads are bad for meta break down, having more players being able to compete for top tier pay outs is great for the game. Competition is good it encourages people to play more, to try harder, and gives more players the thought that they can compete with the whales instead of just being eaten by them. If the OP is upset at a little competition then well they should take their participation trophy attitude somewhere else.

Thanks a lot for sharing your point of view, very interesting tho.

I disagree on one point : the competition. It is not a true one since we have alliance that can ruin a payout with a lock-in strategy. So, new people that can compete with whale (i'm not a whale nor a dolphin) is very good you are totally right. But the current system of payout can still prevent those new people who play alone to compete against those alliance. And as good as competition is to encourage people to play, this system is also very good to discourage some of them.

My point is not to have an unimodal competition, but a true balance between the ability to compete and the coherence between the player level and his rank. Like in football we have division ... or whatever sport.
  • Moved to Feedback/Arena.

Please keep the discussion polite and friendly - your disagreement don't mean you have to insult or belittle each other.
  • Cogito wrote: »
    Seigi wrote: »
    Though any remodel of the squad arena would be great, the fact is it's *not* fun anymore. Ever since CLS was unleashed onto the public, my arena shard has turned into 98% of people using him. Not only is it boring, but it's frustrating to see nothing but CLS leads almost all of the time, and having such a low chance of winning as a Dark Side team user. It's just fighting near cookie cutter team after cookie cutter team, that is making it so boring since not many people use other leaders. And with Lightside getting so much attention (especially rebels, there's no denying that at all), it feels like there's no point in running darkside at all.

Yeah exactly ! But even more annoying than CLS is the zarris problem, you might have a full gold CLS meta team with zolo an be defeated on defense by a random purple zarris with bad mods.

This aside, the fact that too many people on same payout are stressing for the top 3 is a problem to me. Today it is 10-15 people ... in few months it will be many more cause the same meta team easy to get will still be viable

Agreed. Whilst I can get to top 10, sometimes top 5, and even sometimes #1 for my payout it isn't much fun or particularly competitive.

Whereas if there was a way of for your particular payout slot, base you rewards on then (i.e. highest position achieved) - it would make it a lot more fun.

Or just remove arena altogether and give better rewards for other parts of the game.

Owing to the clocks going back and being busy at work and/or commuting with little signal I can't really take part in arena any more - so I have to accept that I won't be getting as many crystals. I'm fine with that, as my job / life > this game, but it can be frustrating especially if you've ploughed in a lot of time into the game.

• Definitly agreed. .. Same feeling for me. Especially when all your routines in terms of farm and gear are arena oriented
  • Good post. I agree with OP.
  • Bennehftw
    316 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I disagree.

I like the competition. I don’t like the ease of rotating payouts.

I’d prefer maybe 5 payout times a day, with the top prize being 100 crystals. A single person can sweep every prize everyday if they want too. But what would most likely happen is competition would be fierce and everyone will be climbing on everyone.

It would instill more competition, and make it harder for people to get crystals.

I do arena for the competition. Climbing to 1 everyday is pretty monotonous and needs to be shaken up to be what it is. Combat between players squads for a top prize.

Don’t make arena easier, make it 100 times harder.

Condense the shards further. 1 year a new shard is created. Everyone within that year is in the same shard.

<3 make arena great again
  • Cogito wrote: »

Zarris isn't much of a problem though, if you use the right toons against her. if it's a general kenobi lead, need to inflict ability block on him, then go after barris and get that crit immunity off. keep GK stunned, and just go straight after zarris.
  • I wholeheartedly agree the meta is just stale as can be and it was a mistake to make CLS so powerful, and even more of a mistake to not fix it every day that goes by. But it'll end eventually for a new meta.

The main problem IMO, as has been since game launched and as discussed already, is the payout system. Just a horrible design, as if they tried to design the worst system possible. I finish #1 almost daily, so I'm not crying that I cannot hit the top. But it takes a dedicated full hour of attention just before my payout, every day. It's ridiculous. Have to use all of my attacks at the perfect time and run the fight times to just under 5 minutes to minimize time I can be hit in the cooldown. It's just a joke and the worst game design I have ever seen. No game that I know of has such a terrible system.

Implement a normal ladder system based on points where winning gives you X points and losing gives you -X points, and base X on your squad power compared to enemy's squad power. Use the starcraft ladder system if you can't create your own ideas.
  • Seigi wrote: »
    Cogito wrote: »

Zarris isn't much of a problem though, if you use the right toons against her. if it's a general kenobi lead, need to inflict ability block on him, then go after barris and get that crit immunity off. keep GK stunned, and just go straight after zarris.

You are more than right mate. The problem here is not the offense but the defense. .. when u play gk zarris dn with bad mods absolutely no team can make you lose when u are on offense.

If u play any meta team you cant win on defense when u are attacked by a zarris team. Thats my main concern
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    It’s not only that many fight for the position but the payout time. Try explaining to wife and kids that it’s more important to get to top five than spend the time with them during dinner.

• Naw wrote: »
    It’s not only that many fight for the position but the payout time. Try explaining to wife and kids that it’s more important to get to top five than spend the time with them during dinner.

Yep, if you have other priorities at 6 and 7 pm you are at a HUGE disadvantage in this game.

I’d still love to see average rank instead of final rank. Make arena competitive with everyone, not just those in your time zone. Bump up the rewards so that the total crystals paid out is the same (you wouldn’t have different people getting #1 at their own time zone anymore).

• Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Slayvoff wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly agree the meta is just stale as can be and it was a mistake to make CLS so powerful, and even more of a mistake to not fix it every day that goes by. But it'll end eventually for a new meta.

The main problem IMO, as has been since game launched and as discussed already, is the payout system. Just a horrible design, as if they tried to design the worst system possible. I finish #1 almost daily, so I'm not crying that I cannot hit the top. But it takes a dedicated full hour of attention just before my payout, every day. It's ridiculous. Have to use all of my attacks at the perfect time and run the fight times to just under 5 minutes to minimize time I can be hit in the cooldown. It's just a joke and the worst game design I have ever seen. No game that I know of has such a terrible system.

Implement a normal ladder system based on points where winning gives you X points and losing gives you -X points, and base X on your squad power compared to enemy's squad power. Use the starcraft ladder system if you can't create your own ideas.

I agree with a lot of your points. I think they should automatically lock out any attackers 5 minutes after your battle starts. It’s beyond ridiculous that I win in 90 seconds and then just sit there doing nothing waiting for a timer to tick down. That needs fixed.

The problem with giving points based on Power though is it could reward low power teams. A NS team can work at a much lower Power by using a weak zombie, for example. Or you would be punished for having zetas on leader abilities that you aren’t using, inflating your power with no benefit (ex: I have Thrawns leader zetad, but I often run him in a team where he isn’t lead).
  • Naw wrote: »
    Naw wrote: »

Clearly family and life is more important. But it is annoying that if you're busy at that time of the day you're stuffed in terms of rewards.

I mean who has time to sit in front of a game all day? I play this on my commute or when I'm dropping the kids off, it's not important at all.

I'm not bothered enough to log on specifically to try and get better rewards but it would be nice to get rewards based on my capabilities rather than being blighted by a certain time of day.