Biggest Detractor From The Game

Don't worry, this is not a post about the cost of packs or "crunches".
There are really only two big detractors to the game. I'll start with the biggest: Arena payout time.

Everything in the game can be done at variable times. Even the previously much complained about Flash events gave you a whole hour to get in and play it. For arena, you have an hour to climb, but you can't just play a few battle straight. You have to come back every ten minutes during that hour. And then, to get a decent payout, you have to be playing at the exact moment of the payout hour (well, for the last five minutes, anyways).

There's drastic ways to adjust arena to make this more palatable, but the simplest and easiest fix could be done tomorrow. Don't provide payout based on the position you are at at an arbitrary moment of the day; Provide the payout based on the highest position you were in within, say, an hour or two of predefined time period.

Some have been complaining about the time commitment of TB, but in reality, most people I've talked to, their burnout really can be traced down to arena (not counting officers that are working too hard to try to corale their members for TB).

Replies

• I like the "highest rank achieved" thing. I can reach Rank 1 but can never "hold" it because like you said, it's hard to be on at the time of payout, and then when you are you have to battle everyone trying to snipe you out of position.

Highest I've ever closed was Rank 2, but that was only once and only because I was fortunate enough to be on at payout time.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    You guys do realize if they did this they'd have to reduce the awards, right?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

I'd rather get 350 or 400 crystals a day in said arena with this, than 500 crystals with stress.
  • I didn't have time to add the second biggest detractor, but that's more a ships feedback anyways.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Dretzle wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

I'd rather get 350 or 400 crystals a day in said arena with this, than 500 crystals with stress.

If everyone gets a "highest position reached" award you're gonna get significantly less than that.
  • Apparently complaining is the most surefire way to make sure your issue gets ignored. Unless you are complaining about not having enough rebels, you might get help on that one.
  • As a player that's most likely doing his last TB and retiring afterwards, I can definitely say that Arena payout time is reason #1 on the list. Whoever decided that payout should be at dinner time when a lot of your customers were children in the 80s when the OT came out and now have their own families should be virtually tarred and feathered.

This game is in dire need of a QoL update.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Giving people a choice from a couple of payout times is something that makes a little more sense to me.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Giving people a choice from a couple of payout times is something that makes a little more sense to me.

There are multiple potential solutions. I only highlighted the easiest one for them to implement. They could also change the structure to something like DC Legend's arena, which was akin to swgoh's tournaments, so they'd definitely have to rethink how it could be made to both not require too much time each day and be fair and such.

But asking us to be only at a specific minute of the day (as another poster mentioned, when in the middle of dinner) is fairly ridiculous.
    As a player that's most likely doing his last TB and retiring afterwards, I can definitely say that Arena payout time is reason #1 on the list. Whoever decided that payout should be at dinner time when a lot of your customers were children in the 80s when the OT came out and now have their own families should be virtually tarred and feathered.

This game is in dire need of a QoL update.

So we can see that the arena system is making players frustrated enough to leave. Yes, we have workarounds, like shard chats that sometimes help us make it slightly less stressful and dire, but let's face it, we're playing the game despite the arena, not because the payout system is fun or even benign.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    The system is terrible in my opinion that coordinating payouts in discord is the only way to make it somewhat manageable. And, there are terrible shards run by megalomaniacs. Fortunately, I'm not in one of these, but have guild mates in them. I strongly believe EA/CG need to step in and do something.

I do find it very frustrating that there are still people that have much worse teams that can knock you from 1 to 5 or 2 to 6 etc and of course that's a big drop in rewards. Defensively teams are just far too weak. Barris teams I have the biggest issue with in being too good on offense for what they are.
  • Well - trudging up something I've been saying for years..... I guess one more shot, eh? one more time with it getting ignored too, weeeee.
    Current Arena allows shardmates to better organize and achieve rewards per person then Guilds (We have boring TB now, so, mostly). That is, if you had 24 hyper active individuals, they could all work together to ensure they all got #1 rewards. No, it's not likely, but I'm just trying to make a point. Fellows in the same group could even work together with different pay out times to get 24 #2 rewards. Every day - 7 days a week.
    The reality isn't that high, but several shardmates along a number of leader boards work together all the time to plug up #1 spots all the time - the current system is and has been abused.
    Then yes - add to that the above, the time, whether you're gaming it or just a schmuck plowing along - the time commitment to 'do it right' is deep. And it must be a certain time, which, for me, being just before, or around, dinner (Daylight saving time...) simply makes it an issue.
    I personally think the game should take a note from any reasonable game and go to a point system...
    Breaking up the Leaderboards/shards that are close together (in age) and forcing a reassembly every quarter is probably easier - then allow people to chose a new payout each time. Something. Man, it's been the same [redacted] [redacted] for two years (almost) - something needs to get shaken up......
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Bumping thread, agreed arena payout times are extremely frustrating. Would be nice if this system would be looked at for a potential change
  • And if you're trying to be competitive in the fleet arena and squad arena, that's about 2 hours nonstop of playing to ensure you're in the optimal position at payout time.

I'd be fine with getting rewarded for your highest rank during the 24 hour period, along with lowering the cooldown between battles. The payout would have to be reduced because a lot of players would be getting the #1 reward each day. Perhaps offset that reduced payout with some form of compensation if you go 5 for 5 that day AND your highest rank is in the top X? There's dozens of ways to change up the reward structure that would be better than the current system.
  • Honestly, I know people cry foul over stuff like a broken Dark Side Territory Battles getting released too early, or questionable costs of packs and "forced" panic farms, but all of that doesn't really matter to me.

The ONE thing that slaps me in the face EVERY DAY and makes me question playing this game EVERY DAY, is the arena. And not because I have any difficulty with it. I typically get top 2 in squad arena and ship arena I'm on a rotation with my payout that helps a ton.

It's the point of the arena that gets me. The payout time. The annoyance and frustration of having to fight up to the top at a specific time every day. At a specific minute of the day.

I know they've built the arena to try to get people to spend money. You want people to want to max out a team, to get the latest and greatest, so that they can make it to #1. But I have to question why they would construct that in the most ANNOYING way possible?

Annoy your customers is never a good business strategy. And add to that that you can provide the same incentives without being annoying. Take a look at DC Legends or other games that doesn't even have a payout second. (Let's face it, it's not a payout hour; you have to be in your position at a specific nanosecond of the day.)

And it's not just an annoyance that is the problem. When people like games they put up with annoyances like a botched release or not being able to get a legendary character to 7* the first time around. The problem is that CG works to annoy us EVERY SINGLE DAY.