Apple players

Replies

• JACE13 wrote: »
    What did Apple do that warrants giving all of us the shaft with anything new with this game?
    Note: comment below is related only to beta builds and not related to any in-game events differences!

Apple did iOS as it is - closed and with very strict requirements for apps delivery via Store. It gives you better user experience, because there is much less space left for bugs, errors and exploits, but at the same time it makes iOS a terrible choice to conduct beta tests with ad-hoc made dev builds.
    Check this comparison list for example:
    https://diffen.com/difference/Android_vs_iOS
    1a) File transfer Android: Easier than iOS. Using USB port and Android File Transfer desktop app. Photos can be transferred via USB without apps.
    1b) File transfer iOS: More difficult. Media files can be transferred using iTunes desktop app. Photos can be transferred out via USB without apps.
    2a) Alternative app stores and side loading Android: Several alternative app stores other than the official Google Play Store. (e.g. Aptoide, Galaxy Apps)
    2b) Alternative app stores and side loading iOS: Apple blocks 3rd party app stores. The phone needs to be jailbroken if you want to download apps from other stores.
    As a result:
    a) Basically for Android beta all you need to do as dev is to build app package, put it somewhere on the web and give users URL to download this package. then Android users will be able to install this package without issues and run it - case closed. If you want release new build - just update package file and ask users to re-download. Current TW beta build is distributed in this way without need to do anything with Google Play Market.
    b) For iOS this process is much much much complicated. You simple cannot download and install beta build from URL as Android users can. It is restricted but Apple and there is nothing EA/CG can do about it. The only way to deliver beta build to clients is by Apple Store and this means much longer deployment and update time and a lot of requirements from Apple for build package in order it to be placed to Store.
    All-in-all the difference in delivery complexity makes Android an obvious choice for beta builds
  • This beta is practically precraft 4.0. Geez get it right EA
  • JRCPKT99 wrote: »
    My question is if it advances your account by using the beta. My thought is no but I wanted to confirm.

I am upset that I can't try it out early but I will get over it if no account advantage.

I.e. If you can repeat challenges in the beta does it help your actual account or only in the open beta. If it does then I will engage in freakout mode

Just clarifying here:
    No actions on Beta Accounts transfer to Main accounts, at all.

Beta and Main environments are completely separate games.

The Beta Server will be taken down at the end of the duration and deleted.

Beta participation is completely isolated and voluntary.

Cheers!

RT
    Development Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    If ios wants to join in download memu or another android app player. Download and install the apk. Import you account same as android user.
    The beta test is not limited to Android accounts it is just limited to only playing on Android device. There are many iOS users already in.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    scuba wrote: »
    If ios wants to join in download memu or another android app player. Download and install the apk. Import you account same as android user.
    The beta test is not limited to Android accounts it is just limited to only playing on Android device. There are many iOS users already in.

This is accurate. I play my main on an iPhone. But I have put a beta version on my laptop. It's not difficult to do. I wasn't banned from beta participation because I use iOS. I just had to do an extra step of downloading an android emulator.
    What did Apple do that warrants giving all of us the shaft with anything new with this game?

What is so hard to understand? it's a commercial google pays to get a promotion for visibility and new customers, apple refuses to pay for such things as they are already big enough. It is apple that gives it's users the shaft (as I am sure they asked them to) and that is because it's users allways find fault with anything else other then apple. I won't explain how a commercial works, suffice to say apple could probably buy it's users dev accounts, but why pay when it's users wouldn't quit apple and move to android if it was the last platform on earth. Google trys to get more ppl involved (not that they are without fault) and therefor don't care about you, why give CG money since you alredy own a apple and will probably not change. On the other hand google is absent in some country's so they will gladly pay to have their name associated with something successful #googleglass so why do you blame the game? Why don't you blame apple? ...And that is why apple gives you the shaft because you own it already and will own the next one, why bother ?
  • Andrudis wrote: »
    It gives you better user experience, because there is much less space left for bugs, errors and exploits,
    LOL...you know nothing Jon Snow. Just repeating nonsenses.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    As @IgneoMorte pointed out in another thread:

Android utilizes an operating system that is open and, therefore, capable of handling the beta. Apple is completely closed. On an iOS device there would be no way to do the beta the way that CG is doing it.

They could use testflight, but probably it's more complicated or it costs more to use that platform...
  • While I appreciate hearing nice technical ways in which the systems are different, the fact remains this is another time iphone users are getting shafted out of something and it’s really honesty getting old.

For TB they let insiders test and it wasn’t such a complicated thing. Not an IT guy, but not sure how this testing is different, other than perhaps the size of the testing group.
  • What I am concerned about is no beta testing is being done on apple. This will be buggy.
  • five2zero
    512 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    they really hate ios user and they really like android cheaters
  • Andrudis wrote: »
    JACE13 wrote: »
    Note: comment below is related only to beta builds and not related to any in-game events differences!

Apple did iOS as it is - closed and with very strict requirements for apps delivery via Store. It gives you better user experience, because there is much less space left for bugs, errors and exploits, but at the same time it makes iOS a terrible choice to conduct beta tests with ad-hoc made dev builds.
    Check this comparison list for example:
    https://diffen.com/difference/Android_vs_iOS
    1a) File transfer Android: Easier than iOS. Using USB port and Android File Transfer desktop app. Photos can be transferred via USB without apps.
    1b) File transfer iOS: More difficult. Media files can be transferred using iTunes desktop app. Photos can be transferred out via USB without apps.
    2a) Alternative app stores and side loading Android: Several alternative app stores other than the official Google Play Store. (e.g. Aptoide, Galaxy Apps)
    2b) Alternative app stores and side loading iOS: Apple blocks 3rd party app stores. The phone needs to be jailbroken if you want to download apps from other stores.
    As a result:
    a) Basically for Android beta all you need to do as dev is to build app package, put it somewhere on the web and give users URL to download this package. then Android users will be able to install this package without issues and run it - case closed. If you want release new build - just update package file and ask users to re-download. Current TW beta build is distributed in this way without need to do anything with Google Play Market.
    b) For iOS this process is much much much complicated. You simple cannot download and install beta build from URL as Android users can. It is restricted but Apple and there is nothing EA/CG can do about it. The only way to deliver beta build to clients is by Apple Store and this means much longer deployment and update time and a lot of requirements from Apple for build package in order it to be placed to Store.
    All-in-all the difference in delivery complexity makes Android an obvious choice for beta builds

These are all false.

-AirDrop is the best way to transfer files. Rumors are Google is looking to steal it.

-Apple does allow third party app stores. I’ve built one at work. Go look up Apple’s enterprise license.

-Beta builds are much easier on iOS.

https://developer.apple.com/testflight/
  • pinkfloyd
    76 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Azza wrote: »
    What I am concerned about is no beta testing is being done on apple. This will be buggy.

Beta test is for the server and territory wars, not for testing the client apps...so your comment makes no sense.
  • Unless you somehow magically end up going up against a guild full of android users who all happened to participate in the beta and have everything locked down what difference will it make? Ok, you might not perform great on the first attempt but then so will the majority of people.

I’m an Apple user atm and I’m honestly not that bothered about what they get offered. Is it really that game breaking? If someone is willing to spend $50 or whatever it was to get a 7* Rey then they’ve probably already spent over that on the game anyway.

Whales will be whales no matter what platform they are on.
  • Azza wrote: »
    What I am concerned about is no beta testing is being done on apple. This will be buggy.

The second statement is a given....regardless of the first.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I don't really care that much about not getting to beta Territory Wars, but I'd happily have thrown $50 at them for the 7 star Rey and crystals promotion if it were possible. So that's disappointing.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Hopefully with an open beta it will be less buggy. But, this game hasn't had a whole lot of platform specific bugs, so not sure we need to worry too much about that part.

And yes, regardless, there will be bugs. There are always bugs. I think this is a step in the right direction though. By opening it up this way they should be able to find and fix any game breaking bugs before it goes live.
  • t0neg0d
    616 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    From personal experience writing cross-platform games, Apple is a necessary evil, at best. Here are just a few of the MANY issues you encounter while developing for Apple devices.

1. You are REQUIRED to own an apple computer as well as mobile device just for testing. Compiling to xcode aside (There are ways around this), the computer (or laptop) is required for do nothing more than generating a test certificate to test your app on an apple mobile device.
    2. You are REQUIRED to pay a yearly subscription for the honor of being an apple developer.
    3. I'll keep this one brief even though it is the worst of the bunch. You are REQUIRED to split your dev code into multiple branches since compiling to xcode will INTENTIONALLY bomb out if Google Play Services packages exist in your source.

Dealing with apple after the dev process is a whole other pile of kittens.
  • While I appreciate hearing nice technical ways in which the systems are different, the fact remains this is another time iphone users are getting shafted out of something and it’s really honesty getting old.
    Then switch phones. That’s the entire point—if you’re over 30 and American you’ll understand what I mean when I say “Google does what Apple don’t.”

Apple has such deep market penetration that they’re lazy and complacent. Google needs to increase its market share and understands that gamers will pay for in-game bonuses. Apple doesn’t give a snot.

Bottom line, it isn’t CG/EA’s fault, it’s all Apple. Make that switch if it really gets on your nerves.
    five2zero wrote: »
    No they don’t. Not everything is about you, grow up.

It’s probably not a usability test. I think the point of the beta test is to get user feedback before his feature rolls out to the playerbase as a whole. Think back on how many events we’ve had in the past that got major tweaks after the first few times it was run (specifically Territory Battles). I think they’re just trying to get in front of that.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    While I appreciate hearing nice technical ways in which the systems are different, the fact remains this is another time iphone users are getting shafted out of something and it’s really honesty getting old.
    Then switch phones. That’s the entire point—if you’re over 30 and American you’ll understand what I mean when I say “Google does what Apple don’t.”

Apple has such deep market penetration that they’re lazy and complacent. Google needs to increase its market share and understands that gamers will pay for in-game bonuses. Apple doesn’t give a snot.

Bottom line, it isn’t CG/EA’s fault, it’s all Apple. Make that switch if it really gets on your nerves.

It’s probably not a usability test. I think the point of the beta test is to get user feedback before his feature rolls out to the playerbase as a whole. Think back on how many events we’ve had in the past that got major tweaks after the first few times it was run (specifically Territory Battles). I think they’re just trying to get in front of that.

Don’t be a ****. Some of us like iOS products and simply find it tiresome that the game runs special promotions for android only.
  • CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
    JRCPKT99 wrote: »
    My question is if it advances your account by using the beta. My thought is no but I wanted to confirm.

I am upset that I can't try it out early but I will get over it if no account advantage.

I.e. If you can repeat challenges in the beta does it help your actual account or only in the open beta. If it does then I will engage in freakout mode

Just clarifying here:
    No actions on Beta Accounts transfer to Main accounts, at all.

Beta and Main environments are completely separate games.

The Beta Server will be taken down at the end of the duration and deleted.

Beta participation is completely isolated and voluntary.

Cheers!

RT

Just to confirm, I have a friend who said they used their beta access to link an alt facebook account and actually got 200 crystals in the real live game. So while it's unintentional, it does seem like something does carry over to the main game @CG_RyDiggs.

As far as the Apple v. Android argument, I'm an iOS user and I want to beta test to provide feedback as I've played the game nearly two years. It's unfortunate that my choice of platform excludes me from contributing.
  • Cosmic Karm
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

I'm guessing the app-side functionality is nothing majorly new. The server-side is where there will be a lot of new code that needs testing. I'm guessing most of their bugs are cross-platform anyway, since they presumably use some unified toolkit to build for both.

What is so hard to understand? it's a commercial google pays to get a promotion for visibility and new customers, apple refuses to pay for such things as they are already big enough. It is apple that gives it's users the shaft (as I am sure they asked them to) and that is because it's users allways find fault with anything else other then apple. I won't explain how a commercial works, suffice to say apple could probably buy it's users dev accounts, but why pay when it's users wouldn't quit apple and move to android if it was the last platform on earth. Google trys to get more ppl involved (not that they are without fault) and therefor don't care about you, why give CG money since you alredy own a apple and will probably not change. On the other hand google is absent in some country's so they will gladly pay to have their name associated with something successful #googleglass so why do you blame the game? Why don't you blame apple? ...And that is why apple gives you the shaft because you own it already and will own the next one, why bother ?

Platform exclusive games are exclusive. Guess why? They want them exclusive to get players on the exclusive platform..

Im not saying this is the case, but you can’t know for sure all are offered the same deals

If I was a company paying for exclusives and knowing the other company are paying for the same exclusive, what is the point? Thats not how exclusive works in my head..
  • Any beta test is better than no beta test, right?
  • For IOS people like me: just install an android emulator (i use Andy) on your pc/laptop and use your ally code to play the beta.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    SGMiller87 wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    While I appreciate hearing nice technical ways in which the systems are different, the fact remains this is another time iphone users are getting shafted out of something and it’s really honesty getting old.

Don’t be a ****. Some of us like iOS products and simply find it tiresome that the game runs special promotions for android only.

This is in no way a special promotion. This was also not run through Google in any way like the promotions usually are, when Google pays to be a part of an SWGOH promo.

This is entirely a technical issue.
  • dsteve
    91 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    As @IgneoMorte pointed out in another thread:

Android utilizes an operating system that is open and, therefore, capable of handling the beta. Apple is completely closed. On an iOS device there would be no way to do the beta the way that CG is doing it.

That's not actually true anymore. iOS supports betas up to 10k external users now.

https://developer.apple.com/testflight/

edit: add quote:
    "Once you’re ready, you can invite up to 10,000 external testers who do not need to be part of your team to beta test an app that you intend for public release on the App Store. "
  • SGMiller87 wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »

Then talk to Apple about opening its wallet...it is sitting on 250 billions in cash reserves.
  • Google makes and sells android devices that are in direct competition with Apple products. These Android/Google Play-only promotions benefit them directly. I’m sure the idea for this promo isn’t all one-sided. Google stands to benefit from these promos as much as EA/Disney.
  • I actually dislike this more than giving them free characters/ better promotions. A "practice mode" is a serious advantage , more so than a free seven star character, 20,000 crystals, zetas for purchase etc in my humble opinion