Was this game always like this?

Hi, as a new player I wanted to ask a few things.
I have played this game for a grand total of 5 days and as I did not do anything in those 5 days that I could describe as "fun" I have just uninstalled it.

I am wondering if this is a product of the game being too old, has it evolved to this restrictive blocked grind or is this how it always was. 90 percent of the game is locked to advanced players. You cant enjoy anything unless you pay but if players cant enjoy anything why would they pay? Maybe it wasn't as blocked always and the level and star requirements were relaxed earlier? Im not sure.

But from my experience :-

story line is blocked by energy requirements spend 10 mins simulating and thats all u can play for the day.
pve is limited to 5 times
events are limited by character requirements
guilds only commit to 7 star raids
no guild events for newbies
no mod battles for newbies
no galactic wars for newbies
other things Im not even aware of.

I suppose the game expects to make revenue off players its already got hooked months ago. I don't see why a new player will wanna stay/spend.

If any EA staff see this, might I suggest if a 7 star is a requirement to do anything on this game now, maybe start new players off with a weak one like netmarble does in its games of the same format, so that new players might enjoy the game enough to stay and possibly spend. Thanks all for reading!

Replies

• Options
    aakashba wrote: »
    I have played this game for a grand total of 5 days and as I did not do anything in those 5 days that I could describe as "fun" I have just uninstalled it.

I am wondering if this is a product of the game being too old, has it evolved to this restrictive blocked grind or is this how it always was. 90 percent of the game is locked to advanced players. You cant enjoy anything unless you pay but if players cant enjoy anything why would they pay? Maybe it wasn't as blocked always and the level and star requirements were relaxed earlier? Im not sure.

story line is blocked by energy requirements spend 10 mins simulating and thats all u can play for the day.

I suppose the game expects to make revenue off players its already got hooked months ago. I don't see why a new player will wanna stay/spend.

If any EA staff see this, might I suggest if a 7 star is a requirement to do anything on this game now, maybe start new players off with a weak one like netmarble does in its games of the same format, so that new players might enjoy the game enough to stay and possibly spend. Thanks all for reading!

Dude, lots of things are locked for new players, progress through the game, make wise choices and then you can unlock certain things. Ea didn’t give us CLS for free, players had to work hard for that and they are still working trying to unlock CLS. Let the game teach you before you move on to the more advanced stuff. It becomes a headache if you don’t take things slowly!
  • Options
    galactic wars at lvl 40 takes 2 days to unlock, mods at lvl 50 takes 3-4 days
  • Options
    No, the game was not always like this because everyone had to start at the beginning. As far as the energy refreshes, those are the same but higher level players have more energy overall. We all had to progress to unlock the various features and they made the game more well-rounded. If you want everything unlocked at a low level, you have unrealistic expectations. Galaxy War and Mod Battles are for higher levels because you need lots of toons to complete them, newer players would never be able to compete even if the features were unlocked. As far as 7 star raids, try joining a guild of newbies. My old guild (I am in my second) ran tier 1-5 rancor raids for a very long time, but then we progressed to 7star because we all had the powerful toons. Some of what you say makes sense, but it seems you don't want to earn any progress, you want it handed to you without having done any work. Do you have a job in the real world?
  • Options
    You can’t have everything after 5 days.. sorry to say. Its a game
  • Options
    Not everyone likes the same thing. This game isn't for you. Fair enough.
  • tomates302
    188 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    my friends ask me about the game and im telling them to not play it obviously the game is not for newbies and if u do not spend ALOT of money u will never catch up whales and long time players progress way faster and the gap increase each time they amplify rewards for deep rosters player's and since territory battle release having a deep roster is mandatory many peoples got kicked out from their guild cauz they do not have the galactic power required so for those reasons i do not recommend the game to any1 unless u r rdy to spend tons of moneys and be ready to spend alot of time on it cauz nowadays this game is very time consumming
    Post edited by tomates302 on
  • Options
    Is this guy for real? 5 days in.. wants everything immediately. The best part of this game was the beginning! (Two years ago anyway)
  • Options
    tomates302 wrote: »
    my friends ask me about the game and im telling them to not play it obviously the game is not for newbies and if u do not spend ALOT of money u will never catch up whales and long time players progress way faster and the gap increase each them they amplify rewards for deep rosters player's and since territory battle release having a deep roster is mandatory many peoples got kicked out from their guild cauz they do not have the galactic power required so for those reasons i do not recommend the game to any1 unless u r rdy to spend tons of moneys and be ready to spend alot of time on it cauz nowadays this game is very time consumming

Not true a friend of mine broke his android and had to restart on io's. He's back in the game in no time focused on phoenix for emperor and trawn and because of that hes back up there. And he's f2p aswell.
  • Options
    yes
  • Bennehftw
    316 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The game has always been like that. It’s essentially a severe grind until you get workable characters. But even high end players are blocked by the severe grind to stay relevant.

The feeling you feel now, is the entire game. Content will always be locked until you progress. Progress is simply simming until you pass the point.

Then you play the progress in a few minutes and it’s over and back to the grind again.

Now there is one raid made for newer players, but you will have to do work to find a guild who runs it. The pit has much lower difficulty levels, going as low as 2 or 3 star requirements?

Anyways, we at the high end have already put the time to progress at the high end, but we still have to be blocked to progress. The reason we stay is the time and money put in. It takes a lot to quit once you’ve been drawn in. Guild breaking up, or realizing the monotony, ect.

• Options
    Dude, ... work hard ... still working ... Let the game teach you ... It becomes a headache ...

... And this is what we call entertainment! :astonished:
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    Is this guy for real? 5 days in.. wants everything immediately. The best part of this game was the beginning! (Two years ago anyway)

you missed the point. Dont really want everything or to be the best in 5 days, just some part of this "game" to be "fun" like games are supposed to be. atm its zero fun and 100 percent work.
  • Options
    Tbh if your a newbie when you reach arena you'll be in a shard full of newbies, so you don't play catch up in that sense.. all events are repeated as time goes along... But it is a grind... I play it because I enjoy the game, i like collecting and i like as a freebie the challenge of making decisions strategically all through the game on who to farm, resource management etc... and it's star wars.. But thats not for everyone
  • LordBane452501
    154 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    my friends ask me about the game and im telling them to not play it obviously the game is not for newbies and if u do not spend ALOT of money u will never catch up whales and long time players progress way faster and the gap increase each time they amplify rewards for deep rosters player's and since territory battle release having a deep roster is mandatory many peoples got kicked out from their guild cauz they do not have the galactic power required so for those reasons i do not recommend the game to any1 unless u r rdy to spend tons of moneys and be ready to spend alot of time on it cauz nowadays this game is very time consumming

This is just plain nonsense. This game is all about focus: know what you do, get into a favourable starting position so that you get a positive feedback loop going, and enjoy.

I am F2P, started August 2017 in a fresh shard with a small hoard (under 3k energy), have been very focussed in all I do, and am ranking consistently top 10, often top 5 (yesterday even nr 1) in arena and fleet - and having a blast at it.

Ofc you don't need to do all at once: focus your arena team first, closely followed by fleet team, then work towards the legendary toons you need (in my case: just 7s-ed my 5th Empire today, and the CLS crew is almost ready as well).
  • Options
    Bailey wrote: »
    Tbh if your a newbie when you reach arena you'll be in a shard full of newbies, so you don't play catch up in that sense.. all events are repeated as time goes along... But it is a grind... I play it because I enjoy the game, i like collecting and i like as a freebie the challenge of making decisions strategically all through the game on who to farm, resource management etc... and it's star wars.. But thats not for everyone

I couldn't agree more with you. Why do people enjoy collecting stamps. It doesn't sound fun to us who don't but the accumulation of one's horde whatever that may be is enjoyable. I play this game constantly and I collect sealed video games ill never open or even take out of there extra safe display cases. What do I get from this nothing but I enjoy it.
  • Options

This is just plain nonsense. This game is all about focus: know what you do, get into a favourable starting position so that you get a positive feedback loop going, and enjoy.

I am F2P, started August 2017 in a fresh shard with a small hoard (under 3k energy), have been very focussed in all I do, and am ranking consistently top 10, often top 5 (yesterday even nr 1) in arena and fleet - and having a blast at it.

Ofc you don't need to do all at once: focus your arena team first, closely followed by fleet team, then work towards the legendary toons you need (in my case: just 7s-ed my 5th Empire today, and the CLS crew is almost ready as well).

dont worry you will hit a wall trust me
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, the game has always been like this.
    The trick that you're seemingly not affected by is that when you first install the game you progress super fast and you get hooked. To a certain extent the game is more fun when you first start playing eventhough you're locked out of alot of content because you're working towards unlocking that content. Best part of the game is that the only compete vs players who started around the same time as yourself. Well, with the exception of all guild things, then again, you can chose your own guild.
    If you uninstalled withing the week, it's probably safe to assume this game ins't for you.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    It must be ALOT more daunting for new players than it was for more veteran players (im Dec 15) so much more content and alot of it you cant even access

However new players are now allowed to see requirements and set specific goals and a proper gameplan of their targets
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to correct sub forum.

This game is a marathon, and you are complaining while lining up at the starting line.... I am not sure this is really the game for you.

Many games are paced with energy refreshes or wait times, or lvl caps. This doesn't mean you need to spend to progress, the game is fairly F2P 'friendly' with its crystal distribution, you just need to stay focused and make wise choices. If you want everything up front then you have to make the choice to pay.
  • Options
    This person's feedback is essential.

Knowing that a gamer can install the product, view enough of the content to do the math, and walk away is a good thing to know and probably representative of a measurable percentage of people that have downloaded SWGoH only to abandon it.

The whole marathon thing either needs to die or make its way into the game description on Google by adding words and phrases like "eventually" "slowly paced" "one day" or "after several years".

And not recommending the game is not nonsense. It's an awful grind. It is. And knowing players will NOT recommend the game is also essential feedback.

If you ran a restaurant that served amazing food but most people never came back a second time, you'd want to know why. And if it came to your attention that many of them felt the service took too long, it'd be something worth considering and reevaluating because it's extremely likely that those people had a reasonable expectation.
  • Options

When you first reach arena at level 28 or what ever or put on a shard consisting of people that 28 within a couple weeks of yourself, so your not battling to catch up to old whales who already have everything, not saying there's not gonna be new whales or old whales making alts though
  • Options
    aakashba wrote: »

U played 5 days quit , went to the forum and posted long post that is "special " to say the least for what exactly? Don't answer u got your attention everybody look at this.
  • Options

What game are u playing? U don't have to spend any money at all on this game especially new players. I started a second account and progressed I lot faster than when I first started. As to the time sink people talk about really I find myself finishing it so fast I have nothing to do in game most days.