Let's talk about GvG Territory War matchmaking

TLDR: TW matchmaking has all the problems of GW*, but magnified.
* Just because I happen to like GW does not mean I don't think there is something off-kilter about the matchmaking system -- there is. But GW gradually builds up difficulty and gives the player a chance to TM-load their teams for the hard nodes to establish a winning strategy. TW does not provide this luxury.

TLDR answer: quit whining and build 8 ultra-squads, noob.

Something does not add up.
I assume there is nothing more to matchmaking than pitting together two same-size guilds with similar GP. Perhaps a large assumption, but experience in this game would suggest otherwise. On the surface it sounds like a great metric. But in practice, it is not the magic yardstick we wish it to be.

Let's take a look at the map:
xw1Gbhd.png
10 territories total: 8 for ground battles, 2 for fleet battles. In each territory, a guild is permitted to stack X defensive squads, where X is equal to half the number of members in the guild. Assuming you get 100% equal guild participation, this means that each guild member must place a defensive squad in 5 of the territories (4 ground, 1 fleet). On offense, for 100% equal distribution of labor, this also means each guild member must defeat 5 of the enemy's defenses (4 ground, 1 fleet).

To me, this task does not actually sound so bad. But does it actually work in practice?

Let's look at two examples. My guild in the main game did not band together for a run at the TW Beta. So I hopped into some random guild for the experience. One of my guildmates joined a different guild.

Here is what happened in the TW I got to play:
KXCzKfV.png
We got crushed. It wasn't even close. The opposition ran roughshod over our defenses. Our offense did not do much better.

Now, my guildmates experience:
pQ1JDxq.jpg
They decimated the opposition. Their opponent was sorely outmatched.

Only two examples, but two very similar outcomes: the match was massively lopsided. How could this happen? If both teams had the same number of players and similar GP levels, why are the outcomes so one-sided?

One answer is probably participation. Two of these guilds (the losing sides) probably did not get 100% equal participation. I know mine did not. Well, I think mine did not, it is hard to know since TW does not report the number of failed attacks, only the number of banners you win from successful attacks. (That should change.)

Another answer has to be in character gear level (yeah probably mods too).

What follows here is based on theoretical matchmaking process. Tinfoil hats optional. Let's ignore fleet battles too.
Consider two full guilds, the Regulators and the Wolverines.
  • Each member of the Regulators has exactly 100 characters, but all of their characters are 6000 galactic power, the minimum for TW participation. Total guild strength is 50*100*6000 = 30M GP.
  • Each member of the Wolverines has exactly 50 characters, but all of their characters are 12000 galactic power. Total guild strength is 50*50*12000 = 30M GP.
The Regulators can field 20 squads each at 30k GP, the Wolverines can field 10 apiece at 60k GP. Which guild will win? Answer: the Wolverines will win in a landslide. We all know that a 60k squad will not struggle in the least to dispatch a 30k squad.

What can be done to improve matchmaking using GP? One possibility is average GP/hero/player. Let's go back to the Regulators and the Wolverines.
  • The Regulators have 6000 GP/hp.
  • The Wolverines have 12000 GP/hp.
Clearly the Regulators are outmatched. These guilds should not be pitted against each other.

Now suppose both of these guilds start building new squads.
  • The Regulators go out and unlock 10 more characters each, and improve them to 6000 GP each. This of course does not improve their average at all, they are still at 6000 GP/hp.
  • The Wolverines go out and unlock 60 more characters each, but only improve them to 1000 GP. Total guild GP is now 33M GP. New average power rating is 33M/50 players/110 heroes = 6000 GP/hp.
Using our metrics (50 vs 50, 33M vs 33M, 6000 GP/hp vs 6000 GP/hp), these guilds seem equally matched. But the outcome will be the same: The Wolverines' 60k squads will still crush the Regulators' 30k squads.

I suppose the answer will be: if the Regulators wish to do well in TW, then they need to focus a lot more on building 8 strong squads instead of more weak squads. Will this help them? Suppose they now go out and do this.
  • Each Regulator improves 40 of their 6k characters to 14k. Each member now has 40 heroes at 14k and 70 at 6k, for 980k total GP each. Total guild GP is now 49M, with an average rating of 8909 GP/hp.
  • But each Wolverine has improved 40 of their 12k characters to 20k. Each member now has 40*20k + 10*12k + 60*1k = 980k GP each. Total guild GP is now 49M, with an average rating of 8909 GP/hp.
The Regulators now find their improved 70k squads pitted against the Wolverines 100k squads. Again, the Regulators are going to lose, and badly.

The bottom line is that the Regulators will always be behind the Wolverines until both reach the gear cap with their TW-capable squads.
I also found it interesting to note that, in this theoretical matchmaking scenario using average hero power, even though the Wolverines have many more useless 1k GP characters on their rosters, they easily outmatch the Regulators. This means that the mid-level characters are actually hurting the Regulators way more than the entry-level characters of the Wolverines. So the moral would be: do not improve your characters until you are ready to max-gear them if you wish to do well at TW. This is nearly a direct contradiction to GW wisdom, which maintains that a player should build a wide but evenly-geared roster to do well. But since this whole thing is a tinfoil hat theory, all attempts at meaningful conclusions are pure rubbish.

I cannot say what methods are being used to match guilds. But it needs to be more sophisticated than it is.

Replies

• EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I know, a lot to digest. Getting no traction either. I guess what bothers me the most is that some guilds (mine included) decided to build up all their unused bench characters in order to boost total guild GP to earn more stars in Territory Battles.

In my case, I now have 38 characters lingering around g7 L60. It appears that these characters, whose only purpose is to inflate guild GP to contribute to TB Deployment points, are going to cause my guild to get matched against other guilds that could conceivably have fewer geared squads, but at much higher levels. What I did to my roster, I did to benefit my guild for TB. Now it looks as though I will be a liability for TW guild matching.
    Edit: I added this for some perspective.
    These ~40 characters have an average GP somewhere around 5000 each. 40*5000 = 200k extra GP of filler, filler that can't win a TW fight. Another guild with no filler characters could make up that extra 200k with 10 more characters at 20k each, arranged into two extremely effective fighting squads. Squads filled with characters where any one of them could single-handedly eliminate all 40 of 5k weenies. See the problem?

And there's nothing I can do about it. Those g7 characters will continue to be a TW liability until they get to g11. Boo-hoo.

However, this was just Beta Stage 1. If the next stage somehow allows these GP-inflating characters to provide a benefit to my guild, then perhaps the disadvantage is not so bad.
  • Heya @EventineElessedil

Thanks YOU for the very detailed feedback and suggestions. We'll definitely dig through it.

First, please know that TW, just like TB will evolve and improve as we all try it out.

The Beta matchmaking system already has multiple improvements to what will be going live.

Second, TW will have 10's of thousands of guilds which will provide a much more granular selection.

NOT to say match making is done, but we will definitely be continuing to review and update TW aspects going forward.

Can't wait to see you in the main game!

RT
    Development Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
  • Franimus
    128 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    The flaw in these theoretical match ups is that they forget you can only use a squad once. So the guild with fewer, higher powered, squads would have to split their squads in half to complete as many fights. I'm not saying they wouldn't still win, just that is a mitigating factor.

Regarding gw and tb meta, I do not agree they necessarily hurt tw, because minimum power is 6k. All of the toons I farmed specifically for tb are well under 6k power, at level 1 and 6 stars. For gw, toons just above 6k aren't going to help you there either. The lesson is, if you are going to level a toon, then commit to it so it is not useless.

That said, it may (or may not) help to add a simple secondary factor like total number of eligible toons, or to tighten up the matching gp range. But my guild had a fair fight this time, we did not clear until a couple hours before closing, and we had only 10 squads alive on defense, and we had come up from behind so that was exciting.
  • Franimus wrote: »
    The flaw in these theoretical match ups is that they forget you can only use a squad once. So the guild with fewer, higher powered, squads would have to split their squads in half to complete as many fights. I'm not saying they wouldn't still win, just that is a mitigating factor.
    No, I explicitly did not forget they can only be used once. Each theoretical guild had enough squads to more than meet their minimum objective: 8 fighting squads (40+ heroes) each player.
    On offense, Wolverines will have 300 squads, more than enough to demolish the Regulators 200 defending squads; the Wolverines will actually have 100 spares because they will win easily. I did not forget they can only be used once; once is all they need.
    The Regulators will have 800 squads on offense, but they will be so weak that they probably won't win a single banner. They will be pitted against OP squads that can indeed defend more than once, time and time again, as many as it takes. It will look just like that GW N12 that can destroy a whole roster, but in this case it will destroy a whole guild.
    Franimus wrote: »
    Regarding gw and tb meta, I do not agree they necessarily hurt tw, because minimum power is 6k. All of the toons I farmed specifically for tb are well under 6k power, at level 1 and 6 stars. For gw, toons just above 6k aren't going to help you there either. The lesson is, if you are going to level a toon, then commit to it so it is not useless.
    Ok, I was not talking about META, or characters that help with GW. But you don't have to agree with how to help boost guild GP for TB, you can just continue to be wrong.
    Franimus wrote: »
    That said, it may (or may not) help to add a simple secondary factor like total number of eligible toons, or to tighten up the matching gp range. But my guild had a fair fight this time, we did not clear until a couple hours before closing, and we had only 10 squads alive on defense, and we had come up from behind so that was exciting.
    Congratulations on your fair fight.
  • Ok, so I did not do the math on number of squads there.

And I did not consider boosting raw gp to help with troop dumps, since that is not a focus of my guild and we usually struggle more with platoons.

Thanks for putting the thought into your posts!
  • I understand your point as I think most guilds/players who are trying to min max Territory Battles did things to raise their overall GP.

I know we recommended getting all your toons to level 50 and putting mods on them etc.

Having all your resources into just 40 toons is an advantage, but I am not worried about it. Seems like just a short term issue.

Think about the guilds/players that haven't invested in inflating their GP. They likely are less hard core or as organised. If they weren't min maxing for TB then they probably aren't going to for Territory Wars.

Now that we know we should be focussing on just 40 toons we will quickly erode that disadvantage.
    Participation and effort is still really important and probably going to be a much bigger factor.

I know in our TWar we filled a lot more defensive squads (shoukd always fill) while on offense I was first into an opponents territory and they had only filled 12 of 25. That's a HUGE difference.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I concur @EventineElessedil

We lost both TW's and i will absolutely without a shadow of a doubt attribute that to the enemy having more uber teams than us... even though we far outnumbered them in mid range power teams...

Both TW's we were almost immediately steamrolled.

100 mil GP guilds.
  • TLDR: TW matchmaking has all the problems of GW*, but magnified.
    * Just because I happen to like GW does not mean I don't think there is something off-kilter about the matchmaking system -- there is. But GW gradually builds up difficulty and gives the player a chance to TM-load their teams for the hard nodes to establish a winning strategy. TW does not provide this luxury.

TLDR answer: quit whining and build 8 ultra-squads, noob.

Something does not add up.
    I assume there is nothing more to matchmaking than pitting together two same-size guilds with similar GP. Perhaps a large assumption, but experience in this game would suggest otherwise. On the surface it sounds like a great metric. But in practice, it is not the magic yardstick we wish it to be.

Let's take a look at the map:
    xw1Gbhd.png
    10 territories total: 8 for ground battles, 2 for fleet battles. In each territory, a guild is permitted to stack X defensive squads, where X is equal to half the number of members in the guild. Assuming you get 100% equal guild participation, this means that each guild member must place a defensive squad in 5 of the territories (4 ground, 1 fleet). On offense, for 100% equal distribution of labor, this also means each guild member must defeat 5 of the enemy's defenses (4 ground, 1 fleet).

To me, this task does not actually sound so bad. But does it actually work in practice?

Let's look at two examples. My guild in the main game did not band together for a run at the TW Beta. So I hopped into some random guild for the experience. One of my guildmates joined a different guild.

Here is what happened in the TW I got to play:
    KXCzKfV.png
    We got crushed. It wasn't even close. The opposition ran roughshod over our defenses. Our offense did not do much better.

Now, my guildmates experience:
    pQ1JDxq.jpg
    They decimated the opposition. Their opponent was sorely outmatched.

Only two examples, but two very similar outcomes: the match was massively lopsided. How could this happen? If both teams had the same number of players and similar GP levels, why are the outcomes so one-sided?

One answer is probably participation. Two of these guilds (the losing sides) probably did not get 100% equal participation. I know mine did not. Well, I think mine did not, it is hard to know since TW does not report the number of failed attacks, only the number of banners you win from successful attacks. (That should change.)

Another answer has to be in character gear level (yeah probably mods too).

What follows here is based on theoretical matchmaking process. Tinfoil hats optional. Let's ignore fleet battles too.
    Consider two full guilds, the Regulators and the Wolverines.
    • Each member of the Regulators has exactly 100 characters, but all of their characters are 6000 galactic power, the minimum for TW participation. Total guild strength is 50*100*6000 = 30M GP.
    • Each member of the Wolverines has exactly 50 characters, but all of their characters are 12000 galactic power. Total guild strength is 50*50*12000 = 30M GP.
    The Regulators can field 20 squads each at 30k GP, the Wolverines can field 10 apiece at 60k GP. Which guild will win? Answer: the Wolverines will win in a landslide. We all know that a 60k squad will not struggle in the least to dispatch a 30k squad.

What can be done to improve matchmaking using GP? One possibility is average GP/hero/player. Let's go back to the Regulators and the Wolverines.
    • The Regulators have 6000 GP/hp.
    • The Wolverines have 12000 GP/hp.
    Clearly the Regulators are outmatched. These guilds should not be pitted against each other.

Now suppose both of these guilds start building new squads.
    • The Regulators go out and unlock 10 more characters each, and improve them to 6000 GP each. This of course does not improve their average at all, they are still at 6000 GP/hp.
    • The Wolverines go out and unlock 60 more characters each, but only improve them to 1000 GP. Total guild GP is now 33M GP. New average power rating is 33M/50 players/110 heroes = 6000 GP/hp.
    Using our metrics (50 vs 50, 33M vs 33M, 6000 GP/hp vs 6000 GP/hp), these guilds seem equally matched. But the outcome will be the same: The Wolverines' 60k squads will still crush the Regulators' 30k squads.

I suppose the answer will be: if the Regulators wish to do well in TW, then they need to focus a lot more on building 8 strong squads instead of more weak squads. Will this help them? Suppose they now go out and do this.
    • Each Regulator improves 40 of their 6k characters to 14k. Each member now has 40 heroes at 14k and 70 at 6k, for 980k total GP each. Total guild GP is now 49M, with an average rating of 8909 GP/hp.
    • But each Wolverine has improved 40 of their 12k characters to 20k. Each member now has 40*20k + 10*12k + 60*1k = 980k GP each. Total guild GP is now 49M, with an average rating of 8909 GP/hp.
    The Regulators now find their improved 70k squads pitted against the Wolverines 100k squads. Again, the Regulators are going to lose, and badly.

The bottom line is that the Regulators will always be behind the Wolverines until both reach the gear cap with their TW-capable squads.
    I also found it interesting to note that, in this theoretical matchmaking scenario using average hero power, even though the Wolverines have many more useless 1k GP characters on their rosters, they easily outmatch the Regulators. This means that the mid-level characters are actually hurting the Regulators way more than the entry-level characters of the Wolverines. So the moral would be: do not improve your characters until you are ready to max-gear them if you wish to do well at TW. This is nearly a direct contradiction to GW wisdom, which maintains that a player should build a wide but evenly-geared roster to do well. But since this whole thing is a tinfoil hat theory, all attempts at meaningful conclusions are pure rubbish.

I cannot say what methods are being used to match guilds. But it needs to be more sophisticated than it is.

Nice post. Personally my guild had no issue wiith the matchmaking, first we lost by 1 territory and second was a close win.
    I also feel there should be some sligth regulations on matchmaking.
  • Maybe the Matchmaking can take into account wins/losses - they do their best on the initial TW (learning lesson) - Then start matching based on GP verse win/losses. Also - This, so that you don't get lumped in with the same guilds growing at the same speed and losing/winning the same way again and again.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Loose_Lee wrote: »
    I concur @EventineElessedil

We lost both TW's and i will absolutely without a shadow of a doubt attribute that to the enemy having more uber teams than us... even though we far outnumbered them in mid range power teams...

Both TW's we were almost immediately steamrolled.

100 mil GP guilds.

This is what I am talking about.
    In bTW2, I joined a new guild. It had a few members with ultra-maxed-out squads. We had 38 members join the TW, participating GP level near 90M. Our defenses were crazy good, and offense was just as good. My regular guild is near 120M, and I feel fairly confident that if we were paired against them, we would be badly outmatched.
    I don't know how they plan to make TW fair in the final release. I hope they do something more sophisticated than simple GP matching and TW win-loss rankings. If not ... pitchforks, torches, rioting ...
    I think we know how this will go.
    9Tclns3.gif
  • Well. Just my 2 cents, but if they were able to take more of this information like swgoh.gg and add up each players totals from the participating members they would likely get a better match.

B69ZCQ4.png

I.E.; collection score, how many 7* toons, 6* toons, etc

then add everyone participating scores up to get a total that then finds a much closer matched group

• Well. Just my 2 cents, but if they were able to take more of this information like swgoh.gg and add up each players totals from the participating members they would likely get a better match.

B69ZCQ4.png

I.E.; collection score, how many 7* toons, 6* toons, etc

then add everyone participating scores up to get a total that then finds a much closer matched group

Power rating is already supposed to do this. So maybe more tweaks to that formula? We run the risk of going down into a rabbit hole like asking a bar/pub "who's the best football team?"

There is no such thing as perfectly matched teams, otherwise every game would be a tie. So hopefully some sort of improvement can be made to make it good enough, not to mention the possibility of upsets. Nearly every loss feels like a gyp because you have always tried your hardest. So maybe we are closer than we think, although I now agree we are not quite there yet.
  • This is older but seems very very pertinent to how TW performs live. My own guild's experiences in TW back up that this problem that was highlighted in beta was never addressed. The devs need to look at what was found in the OP and rework matchmaking to address this.

TB continues to force us to bloat our gp with 7* trash for platoons. TW counts trash as combat ready for matchmaking purposes even if the trash has no realistic defense or offense use. As the OP as shows (and live gameplay seems to indicate post beta), a guild that is already behind has no functional way to improve their TW performance by improving combat ready toons as that gets offset by the farming/gearing activities of a guild with comparable total gp that was already stronger than them. TB at least has clear functional ways a guild can improve how many stars they earn. Farm trash to 7* for platoons, get more squads combat ready for missions so they are never 1 squad short of being able to at least attempt a sector's combat mission.

TB got it right by offering a clear path to guild improvement for better rewards. TW got everything wrong with a matchmaker that means no matter what a guild does, both farming in between TW and strategy during a TW match, they will always loose to a guild that started out of the gate stronger than them even if they're in the same GP bracket. Fun for the few guilds that were already powerhouses in their weight class where a win vs a loss comes down to strategy, unfun as can be for the weaker guilds that lost before deploying a single squad even if a real live Thrawn is orchestrating their TW strategy.