Dark Side Needs an R2 Quality Support

R2 is without question the best support toon in the game. Not only did he single handedly (or whatever he has for hands) end the dodge meta, but he has solidified himself as the most consistently used character in any meta ever. He is on 77% of top arena squads (so is GK but he is a tank first, support second), is used in GW and TB frequently, and can be thrown into raids.

R2 is currently a must have to fight the CLS counter-meta because the only other toon with a reliable team-stealth mechanic was made obsolete by (guess-who), R2! Zaul is gone, and let's face it: nobody is running Teebo.

DS needs some loving too. Give DS more stealth characters and better overall supports. R2 buffs himself and then the entire team with various stats while also stunning, cleansing, and hiding his allies. There isn't a DS toon who comes CLOSE to that.

You know who the DS supports are?
Nihilus, Thrawn, Krennic, Tarkin, Palpatine, Veers, Phasma, Ventress, FOO, HK-47, Poggle, Cad Bane, Dooku, and that one Tusken.

Some of them are good, but none of them does what R2 does. Thrawn is pretty good, but he doesn't replace R2.

Replies

• Options
    Wait snoke.
  • Options
    hi thor,

i had a good first order team and was able to reach rank one in arena - until commander luke. now i try it with the nightsisters. top20 for both teams ar difficult, but possible.

support of fo are: phasma and foo
    support of the ns: talzin and asajj

how you wrote above.

for me the stronger characters are the nightsisters. talzin can revive all other sisters and asajj has an unlimited attack and can clean opponents buffs. and she can stun (50% chance).

but you are right, there is no equal character like our friend r2d2.

it's not the discussion, but dark side has no commander luke, and i fear, jedi rey will save the arena for some mounth for the light side.

either it's time for a dark-side rework, or we should discuss a second arena, one for ls-teams, one for-ds-teams...
  • Options
    Enough.

Does LS have a instakill character? No. Can LS fracture? No. Which characters have highest basic damage after Zolo? Thrawn then Krennic, THEN CLS.

Game is balanced.
  • jwoah
    210 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thrawn is really the only elite support imo for DS, and you really need him as a leader to full benefit from his kit.

R2 is just so versatile and fits in almost any LS team so I understand where you are coming from.

Kit wise I think we need a DS toon where one of his uniques would be similar to R2’s number crunch. Every time any DS toon inflicts a debuff or uses a basic attack, their offense, prot, and tenacity are permanently increased by 5% of this toons stats (stacking, but can only be boosted once per turn so you don’t get a 60% increase with something like DV’s AOE) until the end of the encounter. When he is killed, the stats can no longer accumulate, but they also don’t go away. It’s differently enough from R2’s since it’s not instant and tenacity gets boosted rather than potency (No health either). If that’s too weak, an added zeta could be every time this toon takes a turn or gets attacked by a crit, these increase in stats (only 2.5% though) happen to all DS team members. Teaming this toon up with toons that grant TM (like thrawn) will be a good strategy to boost your stats more often. In an arena battle, minimum boost should be 15% before the taunt wears off, and another’s 5% if he is crit twice, so 20%, but that’s only with 2 turns. If he can survive to be able to use his abilities twice, you could potentially see a 50% increase in stats. A max % might need to be established for raids.

He shouldnt stealth everyone like R2, but one of his specials could be to grant one toon a new buff, a 2 turn un-dispellable taunt/protection up(40%)/tenacity up/defense up/speed up(the speed will force tanks with very low speed to take their 2 turns quicker), with the rest of the team getting just regular prot up(10%) and tenacity up for 2 turns. (Maybe speed up too?) Counters can still happen, but whoever this skill is used on, cant be debuffed and takes less damage. The main reason for this special is extra survivability for increased stat boosting. This should have a high CD. (5 turns maybe)

His basic needs good utility too (since R2 can stun). An example is every time he uses his basic, a random toon with a debuff on your team is cleansed and if no toons have debuffs, grant one team member tenacity up. Whoever is attacked with the basic has his ability CDs increased by 1.

His other special could be some unresistable/undodgeable AOE with a 100% chance to apply a debuff and gain 50% TM. Zeta: All DS team members also gain 5% TM for each debuff on the opposite team. (including himself) This special would also need to have a CD. (Something like 4 turns)

His downfall would be very low stats, as he should be fairly easy to kill, (I would say around 12k health and 22k prot at g12) but to counterbalance, he should have a lot of speed (more than r2). He needs to go first or he will be the first toon targeted by the enemy team, but if he gets his taunt off, he has at least 2 turns for everyone to start stacking stats.

His 5th ability, another unique would be mainly to help against Han Solo’s shoot first ability, which could be something like if he is killed before he uses either special ability (possible change?), revive at 1% health, full protection, and gain 100% TM. But if he is revived, any non-AOE attack will instantly kill him. The protection gain would only be to defend against AOE’s, but once the taunt from his other special wears off, any one basic attack will kill him.

He might sound a little OP, but he won’t really be inflicting damage, his kit is mainly for lasting as long as possible to boost the other DS toon’s stats. Once his special ability taunt wears off, unless he gets protection elsewhere, he’ll die quickly. Plus you could help balance him by potentially adding to his 5th unique that at the beginning of the encounter, all team members have offense down for 1 turn, so you couldn’t knock off the enemy toons so rapidly. Plus a tank is kinda needed for this toon to shine so that’s already 2/5 toons having low damage.

This is just an example of course. I don’t use DS toons too much but I definitely agree that they lack a great support toon.

The real question is who would this character be? What DS character from the SW universe has that support personality? He would have to be popular too as this kit would be for a legendary character. Revan comes to mind, his personality doesn’t fit. Darth treya from KOTOR 2 does though. The requirements for unlock might have to be something a little ranked the though. I think 5 KOTOR characters isn’t good because that should be saved for a heros(villains?) journey to unlock darth revan. But having treya be a legendary would fall in line with heroes journey and their requirements of one legendary. It’s not canon, but I’d be fine with any 5 toons, even something like BH’s be required if she were released with a support kit.

Darth treya would also add heavy speculation to revan (and at least two more KOTOR characters) to be released eventually. There’s so many great characters that could be added from that series, money is there to be made. There’s so many awesome abilities from that era too (like bastillas battle meditation).

Sorry for the wall, but most of it is a character kit.

TLDR, I agree that DS, especially with an upcoming TB, need to have more characters. I can’t think of any DS toon (thrawn or Phasma as lead is closest)in which their kit is built mainly as support. LS, on the other hand, definitely has a few (Hermit Yoda, BB8, R2). That’s a great place to start for the next DS toon release.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to correct sub forum.
  • Options
    Wait for Snoke and the little BB-8 dark counterpart. Those two are gonna make DS relevant again I think.
  • Options
    Enough.

Does LS have a instakill character? No. Can LS fracture? No. Which characters have highest basic damage after Zolo? Thrawn then Krennic, THEN CLS.

Game is balanced.

Lol "balanced." Sure man....
  • Options
    Enough.

Game is balanced.

Something tells me this guy is running zzzCls (L) zzR2-D2 Zolo GK and ATF, Leia or Old ben
  • Options
    Must be sarcasm.
    No one would suggest that a x characters basic damage offsets X characters entire kit.
    That's just weird.